• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your First Tourney

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
If you remember it, how did it go? Were you nervous? How'd you do? What was it like? It doesn't even have to be Brawl, it can obviously be Melee.

The H Kid

Original
It was fine.
I wasn't nervous since I thought I was boss.
Placed in like 7th,8th,9th or 10th place. (cant remember)
It was really smelly.

MarTh-

Smash Apprentice
uh mine was yesterday lol, it was a lot of fun. I got owned

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=76541&highlight=SQUAT

Well, not my first tourney, my second. Actually I was the one to come up with the Tournament Series Acronym. SQUAT (Southern Queensland Undeniably Amateur Tournament).

Our tournies were so bad back then =_=

This was the first properly organised one. The first tournament I went to (The second tourney ever in my state) wasn't even given the name SQUAT til halfway through, we didn't even have a thread for it :p

That was when I was like...14, and I'm 18 now.

Anonymous.

Smash Lord
My first tournament was a melee tourney, and it happened in Orlando FL, I got 0-2'd by everybody in my pool, and I had no idea that everybody was so good compared to me. I wasn't nervous. Infact, I was worried it would be awkward, but it wasn't. I practiced consistantly though, and got better. And here I am.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
My first tournament was at college, and it was for Melee. It was my first encounter with "competitive" players, so I was a little nervous about getting my butt kicked. I made it to the top 16 out of 40-something with my Pikachu, but I think I just got lucky with my matchups. People told me I was pretty slick, so that made everything worth it and inspired me to get better at Smash.

Darkwashu

Smash Ace
It was Melee
I had no idea what a Tier was, I went there thinking it was a simple game.

Got my butt kicked,Came home then looked on google and learned about tiers.
I regret everything.

Nohbody

Smash Rookie
Gamestop had a tourney for the release of Brawl. Problem was it was a brawl tourney and they had us using nunchucks so it was basically an SD fest, with seasoned players brought to tears by the innate *********** of wiimotes

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I was twelve (is that a bit young?) and I was very nervous. I thought I was good, because I could beat my friends, but then I placed second to last and learned that maybe, just maybe, I'm not good at the game. I went to more and more tournaments and found out they can be very, very fun.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
My first, and last come to think of it, was last year at my college. I think I was the only freshman, everyone looked older than me... Anyway, my Lucas was good enough to get me to the semifinals, where I was bested by an expert R.O.B. My hands were shaking, I was so nervous. But towards the end, people were sort of cheering for me. Others gave me the nickname "C-Stick". All in all, it was really fun! :chuckle:

Mith_

Smash Champion
My first tourney was a few weeks ago. I got completely ***** by Toon Link and Snake and came in dead last place.

It was horrible.

As you can tell from my sig I used G&W and R.O.B I don't think that was a very good idea.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
B.I.O. (Brawl In Oakland) August 8th, 2008, San Francisco. Entered Singles and Crews, both as just Lucario. In Singles, I got matched up against Ajax. That....didn't go well.:( Fsmash ***** me up so hard, then it was GG. The only kills I got were Cyphergrabs.

However, crew battles were absolutely awesome. Our first crew battle, Hella Crew Style (us) vs FLC. We discuss options and decide to send me in first, since I'm a Lucario main exclusively, and so I'm the least flexible of our team. They figure they'll send me in to my death as cannon fodder to get a good feel for the other team.

Little do they know the power of Aura.

First match-up, Lucario vs Snake on Smashville. After getting ***** by Ajax earlier, I have a better idea of how to fight competant Snakes. I stay back, spam BAS, keep up my spacing, and create walls of pain with hitboxes. Over and over again he would shield a Dair or Ftilt only to be hit by the second blast of Aura. I don't think he really knew how to fight Lucario. Regardless, ftilts and utilts make short work of me, bringing me down to my last stock. Fortunately, the King of Comebacks doesn't disappoint me, and after pulling off a SH-fair-fair-jump-fair-fair-fair-dair kill, I rip out a few Fsmashes and tilts to rack his damage up, then a Dsmash finishes him when he accidentally Fsmashes the wrong way.

Second match, KuroHito (Lucario) vs me (Lucario) on Final Destination. This guy with the Lucario plushie I've been hanging out with all tournament, so to sit down and play him for real felt like the Duel of Destiny. :) Basically I play REEEAALLY carefully, lots of tilts, SH Fair-Dairs or SH Fair-Nairs, The great part is, since I know Luc so well, I know what moves the other guy would pull out for a certain situation, too. Interestingly, he didn't seem to know about the SEXINESS of Bair's hitbox, or else he didn't use it. He also didn't throw or tilt a lot. He liked air games, but didn't use much Uair or Bair. He kept trying AA-Fpalm on me, over and over again, but I always dodged away from the Fpalm, and I could tell it was frustrating him. Regardless, it was REALLY close. On the final life, I was up past 200%, and every time I got hit, my team would groan, thinking that's game--but NO! DI saves the day, again and again. I'm quickly seeing why Azen loves this dude. Run up to him, spotdodge him and fake out an Ftilt, he falls for it! Fsmash, he tries to spotdodge, but the tail end of the hitbox hits him and he's HISTORY.

By this time, everyone is definitely surprised and impressed that their cannon fodder guy had already taken out nearly half of the enemy team and I'm getting cheers and slaps on the back. Third match comes up, a G&W. Now this time I did roughly the same stuff, played it cool and cautious and safe (thank god for the lack of time limit on crewbattles), walls of hitboxes, etc. I DT'd a few turtles, then backed off, as I didn't want to chance being left open if he started predicting my DTs. Surprisingly, he didn't eat up my BAS with his bucket. Maybe he forgot about it. I managed to take a stock off him, but the Dsmash ***** me for the win.

Regardless, in my first ever crew battle, I took off SEVEN STOCKS with my lonely THREE. THAT is the Power of Aura, baby! I even got a congratulations from a friend of mine, Hella, in DBR. That, more than anything else this weekend, raised my confidence. I walked into this tournament with nervousness and uncertainty, and left Singles with a lighter wallet and shattered dreams. I walked into Crews with a fatalistic attitude, not even sure I wanted to stay around for our battle...and walked out with the praise of tournament-level Smashers and a new level of Smashing self-esteem. I had always dominated my friendly matches at home or college, but never ever thought I was tournament material. I went to Super Champ Combo last year, looked around at the crazy Melee people and thought that I could never, ever enter a tournament, that I simply wasn't good enough, that I could never match up. But now, with at 1 Singles win under my belt and a 7-stock Crews streak, I've discovered, to my eternal shock, that I'm actually COMPETANT at this game on a wider level than just my own friends.

I'm hooked. Tournaments are a blast, you meet new friends, and best of all, EVERYONE there is nice and friendly and casual and chill. Nobody laughs at you for sucking. The trash talking is all jokes and silliness (in the Nevada vs DBR crew battle, Germ was ****ing HILARIOUS. "CBK! Califo'nya Peetzuh Kitchin, son! DD's HUNGREH! e's gotta BIG! GOWLDIN! ****! For da ****! I don't even know what I'm sayin' anymore...").

In conclusion, I have taken my first steps into the larger world of competitive Smash, and it's the most fun I've ever had at a video game.

I love you guys.:laugh:

POWER OF AURA, BABY!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
My first tournament was a couple of months ago. I did well and beat some people who place often most likely due to beginner's luck.

I was really nervous and probably looked like a lost puppy when I first entered the Play_N_Trade. I met an old acquaintance from a class at a school I didn't attend anymore, and he challenged me to a friendlies match, which I lost horribly to his Fox and Meta Knight (neither of which he actually uses). It sorta got me very worried that I would lose in my first few matches. I lost my first round to a Lucas who I could tell was worse than me, but I lost due to my bad habit at the time of spamming Aura Sphere when my % was high, which just healed him. I went to the bathroom after the match and swore to myself that I wouldn't lose another match to an opponent who was equal to or less than my skill level at that tournament. In Losers Bracket, I began doing extremely well, wiping the floor with a newbie MK/Falco user, and getting my first ever offline-Dair stagespike against a Marth. I eventually had to fight my acquaintence again, who was serious this time. I was extremely nervous, and he chose Meta Knight again. I barely won, and I was feeling sorta proud of myself until he said that he should choose his real main. He put his cursor on the last person I had ever expected him to use: Luigi. Next match was on Battlefield. I got creamed by jab-Up B all three stocks, and I was extremely nervous. I chose Luigi's Mansion as my counterpick (as usual), but I also chose it to nullify his horrifying Jab-Up B, and because I knew that Luigi's kill moves were all vertical. I won by camping under the ceilings, and running away whenever he destroyed the mansion until it came back, at which point I'd camp again. I finally got the final kill with 15 seconds left on the clock. I was freaking tired out from that match. (It was my first time against anyone who used Luigi competantly). I then later was matched up against a friend of his, who apparently had a reputation, as a crowd formed around my TV and people were cheering on my opponent. He used Samus, and nearly beat me, but I won by camping and because he suicided once on both stocks due to Lylat's Lip, and accidentally Up B'ing offstage instead of missiles. I was feeling pretty cocky after winning this set against someone who had so obviously a reputation, and got absolutely devastated by a Wario user who I met earlier and apparently went even with his DDD in friendlies. Heck, even on Luigi's Mansion, he began uthrowing me into the ceiling and smashing me all over the place, two-stocking me on my only counterpick at the time. It was a huge reality check, and I was out of the tournament.

Overall, I got 9th place, but it was apparently beginner's luck. I still have yet to beat any of the local top players as of now, but I'm getting closer. Hopefully, I'll be #1 sometime in the future.

(And then we shall be one step closer into turning all of the top players into Lucario mains! Muahahaha!)

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
My first tourney was a Melee tourney. I did better than everyone thought I would, getting a number of low rank upsets because I had Marth and knew enough about Lcancelling to combo nicely enough. I remember the first combo I won with was a ground opponent dair > fair > dair spike. It was awesome.

My first Brawl tourney was ********... waaay too many noobs, the pool matches were cake, and I made Sonic look "cheap." The sad part is I'm still not that good with him. lol Awesomeness to the fullest.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
All I got to say is, don't go to a tourney by your self or you'll be much more nervous then ever. -_-;

As for my first tournment, it was teams in Smash 64 and I domnated. But when I went by my self, it was not the same, and it's still not the same. You have to feel the grove while your in toruney's you know.

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
my first tourney was last weekend, it was for Brawl.

i knew i was good, i am fairly good... i got 2nd.

it wasnt a major tourney, it was a very small one as a matter of fact, only like 30 something people there.
i hate to john so blatantly, but i was sckrewed over by the rules they had...

they had a 5 min time limit on the matches, and it was the last game of the finals, we both had one stock, i had 0%, he had 130% then time ran out, and they made us do the SD even though i clearly should have:

1: had enough time to kill him
2: won b/c i had lower %.

im happy i went though, it was fun, and im glad i got to play vs such a variety of players, and i learned SO much more in that few hours than i did in like the past month...
my Wario is now like 5x better XD.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I barely remember. It just a little melee tourney organized in my town. 20 ppl max (probably more like 15). I wasn't nervous since I knew everyone there and I knew I was gonna get my *** kicked since I sucked. It was pretty cool even though I got knocked out so early. I wish I could go to a competitive (preferably melee) tourney. =/ I know I'll get into the smash scene when I'm in college. Just one more year. ^^

Overload

Smash Lord
My first tourney was at Play N' Trade in Walpole, MA. Went there with a friend of mine, got *****. I won my first match, lost second match, won third, lost fourth. I was just starting to use ness at the time and I was still more comfortable with fox. The matches were best of 3 so I used ness first, then switched to fox if I lost.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
My first tourney doesn't really count since it was Teams that day. It was a Melee tourney and I lost since everyone had to stand and play at the Play and Trade and I wasn't used to standing.

2nd Tourney was for Brawl and I tied for 17th among 30 something people

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
my first one was a melee tourny. Second one was at the same place too~

Well anyway i got owned. I couldn't make it out of pools and I needed to leave early too, so i didn't even get to finish my last pool battle =/. However during pools i took a shiek down to his last stock as jiggs s( '_')b. it felt good.

But my younger brother got more attention than me ;_;

Top Bottom