• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your first EVER character.

Ugg

Smash Champion
In ssb64, I used fox, I liked the thought of having a projectile reflector while having a laser of my own xD
In melee, I picked ice climbers first, because the thought of having 2 people was.. wow, haha
In brawl, I chose Pit, because his guided arrows looked so cool

Twilight-Emblem

Smash Apprentice
Ah, Memories

When I got Smash 64, the first character I used was Kirby just because I thought the blue color looked cool and stuck with him until I unlocked Ness a few years later because I liked the copy ability. (I didn't know about websites like Gamefaqs or that Ness and Falcon existed.

In Melee, I was overjoyed at first that Ness was a starter, then I realised that I suddenly was not good at Ness OR Kirby. I played as Zelda/Shiek then until I unlocked Mewtwo.

In Brawl, I unlocked everybody and then played as Lucario because he was similar to Mewtwo, then moved on to Mr. Game and Watch.

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I don't remember, honestly. My first main (in 64) was Kirby and I probably played him the most, but I ended up switching my char of choice to Jigglypuff against non-Pikachu mains.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
LINK!!!!!

his bombs went soo far in ssb64
BOMBS!!!

p.s. i had no idea he was bad. lol

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
SS64: At first I was Kirby/Pika, then when everyone was unlocked, Luigi/Ness.
SSBM: At first it was Kirby/Link, then unlocked: Mewtwo/Marth.
SSBB: At first PT/MK/Ike, unlocked: Lucario/Marth/Falco/Link (got interest in him recently).

Scott!

Smash Lord
In Brawl, it was Pit, I think. Having never played his games, I was still pumped since he looked like a lot of fun. I still think he is, though he's only for fun.

In Melee, I don't remember, but Link is the best guess, since I'm a big Zelda fan and stuff.

And in the original, it was epic. I was playing at a friend's slumber party. I'd never heard of the game before, so I asked them who was good. No one knew anything, since we were all like 9. so they told me Falcon was good, and to just press B. I honestly spent my first smash match ever Falcon Punching across Hyrule Castle. How good does it even get?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Going with characters I actually spent time learning once I unlocked all of them.

SSB: Kirby
SSBM: Marth
SSBB: Fox and Marth

So I was a tier ***** until Brawl, apparently.

Ahiru77

Smash Rookie
SSB: Link...because i was a OoT-addict.
SSBM: From Link to Marth
SSBB: Marth....too bad Link doesnt look OoT anymore.

Kronology

Smash Rookie
At a friend's house, didn't know anything about Melee, pokemon fan = Mewtwo. Then Ganondorf bcuz of Badassadry.
When I finally bought the game, I turned to Link. =P
Fer Brawl, I tried out Ike. But I played as him for not very long, I tried out all the new characters.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
SSB 64 - Fox because I liked the noise the blaster maked.
Melee - Captain Falcon, he was just that good back then.
Brawl - Mawio because of the cape. That's it, I just love caping.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
SSB: Yoshi, because I loved Yoshi's Island.
SSBM: Mr. Game & Watch. I don't remember why, but I fell in love with the sprite the first time I laid my eyes on him.
SSBB: Ivysaur. The one character I truely looked forward to playing as.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Nobody liked Yoshi back then, sorry to say.

sam4

Smash Cadet
For me, it was Mario in 64 and Brawl and Dr. Mario in Melee. For 64 and Brawl, I picked him because I was a die-hard Mario fan. In Melee, I unlocked a few characters after playing Classic and Vs. Mode and stuff (as a bunch of characters, don't quite remember them) and saw Doc, and said, "Dr. Mario? This'll be interesting." So I played Mario and Doc and thought Doc was better, because he was stronger but didn't have a spike. I'm okay with all characters in all three games now, but if I entered a tournament, I'd probably pick Doc or Mario (depending on what game).

In Brawl though, I'm trying to get better with characters I don't usually play, like Olimar, Lucario, ROB, and Fox. So I might pick Fox in a tournament, but knowing it's Brawl, I'd probably pick Metaknight. :/

I realized right off the bat that MK was awesome, so I played him a lot, but I didn't want to be cheap, so I moved on.

EDIT: Also, a friend from school recently got 3rd in a tournament using Kirby. He is also good with Wolf. I'm saying this to build on the fact that I don't know whether I'll ever enter a tournament, I'm young and I'll probably be laughed at because of my appearance. Unless I'm absolutely sure not everyone is going to pick MK, Snake, or Dedede (and they so are), or unless I'm sure I'm good enough, I'll probably hone my skills against CPUs or something, considering my Wifi sucks.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I used Yoshi in 64, he was just cool and I used him in every game I saw him in. Then I found out that he ate dolphins in Super Mario World so I started maining Mario. I enjoyed fireball camping on top of Hyrule Tower, plus I just loved Mario and Mario is just amazing.

In Melee I used Peach first, I think. Maybe Fox. Anyway, she was just fun and I thought any strong aerial was a meteor smash, so I always referred to her fair and Mario's as meteor smashes for some reason. I ended up maining Mario and Peach. I tried Doctor Mario, but just neh.

In Brawl I wanted to play subspace so I needed to pick Mario or Kirby, I chose Mario because Mario is just awesomesauce.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
64: Pikachu
Melee: Fox
Brawl: I'm not sure if it's IC's or ROB. I'm not sure if I used a new character or a vet first.

Derek_Ozark

Smash Rookie
Game: Super Smash Bros. 64
First Character: Link
Why?: I beat every Zelda game as they come out, so I hoped it would help me be more familiar with the character already. Bad assumption.

Game: Super Smash Bros. Melee
First Character: Kirby
Why?: Tried using my deliciously overpowered main from the 64 version, hoping I could carry my success over swiftly. Even worse assumption.

Game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl
First Character: Mario
Why?: I was terrified that my sweet baby Fox had been decimated much like my Kirby had been in the previous title. So I tested the water with someone I rarely use.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I used Yoshi in 64, he was just cool and I used him in every game I saw him in. Then I found out that he ate dolphins in Super Mario World so I started maining Mario.
That's the funniest reason for abandoning Yoshi I've ever heard. :p

I used Pikachu first in SSB64 because I barely recognized any of the cast at the time. Pikachu and Jigglypuff really stuck out for me.

smashbot226

Smash Master
SSB64: DK- Because whenever he'd grab somebody, it'd look like he was trying to molest them. He went on to be my top main in SSB.

SSBM: DK- I didn't quite master IC's quirk, at the time Peach and Zelda were GRLZ EWW, and Bowser was too slow for my liking. So I stuck with the Kong Man. I didn't like this one as much as SSB64's...

SSBB: DK- I figured to keep with tradition and have him my first Classic and All-Star victories. I should send an angry letter to Sakurai for not giving him a bigger plot importance to SSE.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
In SSB64, I read the little booklet and chose Kirby because of the whole copy-ability thing. Then I noticed that the CPU Fox always ***** house, so I started using him as my SSB64 main until Melee came out. I eventually switched to Pikachu and Falcon when Brawl came out.

In Melee, I started out with Mewtwo, but then noticed how awesome Falco was. So I used him at first until I learned how awesome Falcon's Knee was.

In Brawl, My original goal was to triple-main Meta Knight, King Dedede, and Ike (after seeing Ike right after buying the game), but that didn't work out so well and I found Lucario.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
SSB64: Kirby

SSBM: Kirby

SSBB: Kirby

Over all best and favroite Nintendo chracter: Kirby

Any questions?

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
SSB64: Jigglypuff. I was at a friend's house, and I just became addicted to the game and wouldn't leave for anything. I just spammed neutral B and got owned by Fox on very easy all the time. I eventually got a bit better and began playing Yoshi and Luigi.
SSBM: Bowser. After hearing about Melee, I knew I was going to play as Bowser, but after actually getting the game a couple years later I moved on to Samus for whatever reason.
SSBB: Yoshi. My 2 mains from Smash 64 (Kirby and Yoshi) sucked horribly in Melee, so I played them first to see if they were any improved. I then moved to focus more on Yoshi, and later began to main other characters like Dedede and, for a short period of time, Meta Knight.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Super Smash Bros: I'm pretty sure it was Mario simply because he's the gold standard of video game characters as it is.

Super Smash Bros Melee: It was Fox because Fox was my main in the original and I wanted to see how he had changed.

Super Smash Bros Brawl: Oddly enough, I think I played as Pit first for some reason.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Cloud Strife in FF7

I think it was Falcon in Smash 64
(Now it's Ness)

Peach in Melee
(Now it's Falco)

Diddy in Brawl
(Still Diddy)

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
64: Pikachu I believe... I can't remember that but I was a huge Pokemon fan back then, and think that was my first choice
Melee: As I went on with 64 I shifted to Kirby and he was my first try for Melee
Brawl: Fox had become my main in Melee, and I had the luck of getting him in the Gamestop release tourney as my first char. I also used him first after getting home so I could get a feel for playing when I could, ya know, feel my hands^.^

With 64, I liked the Zelda Series from ocarina of time, so I used link there.

In melee, I still liked him and used link again. Started experimenting with Falco and Roy a bit.

With Brawl, I finally got into competive battling. I noticed what they had done to link and did not really like the changes, so I went with Marth (close roy sub.). Felt I did not really play well with Marth and went to Falco. Learned about the Chaingrab and laser game, it intrigued me and I stuck with it. Finding a secondary was the hardest bit. I liked many of them, but in the end I went with Snake for a secondary.

Edit: Post 100. Not much, but something xD

Osi

Smash Ace
I started with fox and link just because I loved their games lol. Anyone remember the mascots in uniforms commercial for smash? That was so awesome, best promo ever!

Smash 64 main: Fox -> fox/link secondary

Melee main: Fox -- then Fox/Falco/Falcon -> jiggly (played some matched vs my fave smasher and his jiggly impressed me so much it's all I worked on until brawl)

Brawl: Fox -> Tlink -> Mario -> quit (not saying good or bad, just not the game for my taste is all, congratulations to all who enjoy it, I hope you love the time on brawl)

Brawl+: Fox/Falcon/Jiggly

Top Bottom