• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your first EVER character.

Hoeloe

Smash Apprentice
My first in Melee (Since I never actually got round to playing Smash 64) was Mewtwo. I played with my friends game, and Mewtwo seemed awesome. Then, after I stopped being a (total) noob, I moved onto Young Link, not a great character on the tier list, but he fit my ideal stats: fast & agile, yet controllable. Just before Brawl came out, I switched to Link, since he was better than Young Link (though I couldn't use him as well), so my first Brawl main was Link. After I unlocked Sonic, I switched to him because he worked for me. Then I unlocked Toon Link and he was basically Young Link with improvements, so I naturally switched to him. Then I realised I was better (somehow) as Sonic, so Sonic is now my main.

Lol textwall.

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
N64: Link, C. Falcon
Melee: Link, Roy, Ganondorf
Brawl: Link, Everyone except Ice Climbers, Sonic, Falco, Squirtle, Peach, and Diddy.

Needless to say, I'm a pretty decent Link player lol

Igneous42

Smash Ace
honestly I can't remember. If I had to guess Donkey Kong or Link. I know at one point I was really into ocarina of time and later I was really into DK 64, I know I got smash around that time. So I can say it was most likely one of those. Melee my first char was Bowser, and in brawl it was Link.

_Marth_

Smash Rookie
64: Link, because I've always been a huge LoZ fan so I started with him, realized his recovery was horrible then I think I went to Captain Falcon

Melee: I started with Link again here thinking maybe they improved his recovery. They didn't. So just like 64 I went back to Captain Falcon. That is, until I unlocked Mewtwo.

Brawl: Ike...he just looked badass. He's one of my mains now.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Strangely, when I first played SSB on the N64, the first character I picked up was Yoshi because I was a huge fan of him when I was much younger. However, I did not know all of the characters who were in the game back then (especially Ness, C.Falcon, Samus and Kirby). When I tried all the characters that were available in the game (including the hidden characters), I transitioned from using Yoshi to using Kirby.

One reason why this transition occurred because with Yoshi, I found out that I was spamming his smashes and Down B move way too much. When I became much more familar with the game, I realised that this was a bad thing to do because doing this made me lose against my brothers because I was predictable. Even when I stopped spamming these moves, my fighting improved, but I still had some difficulty beating them. So I decided that Yoshi wasn't my character. However, when I picked up Kirby, I found out that I was really good with him as I was able to beat my brothers much more easily, even against some of my brother's friends! :) One time, both of my brother's friends decided to gain up on me when I kept beating them in 1vs1 fights more frequently. :laugh: Fortuantly, I was able to beat them after 1 round! Man they were SO infuriated I found it extremely funny! :rotfl: It was hard getting used to this game back then though, as well as winning that fight... However, it was well worth it for the sheer entertainment I got from playing this game. :) Ah, good times they were...

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
The only reason I even got into the smash series was because of Pikachu. Heck, the reason I found out about smash in the first place was because years ago it was mentioned on the Pokemon website.:laugh:

This is one of the reasons why I got into Smash in the first place, just seeing Pikachu with Mario in the front cover and Pikachu beeing really popular at the time made me want to try this game that much more.

tsu-money

Smash Cadet
I played as Pikachu when I first got Smash64. But I eventually moved on to Luigi once I got him unlocked.

When I played Melee, I thought that Luigi would be the same as he was in 64. He wasn't. So I tried Marth and I have played as him whenever I play Melee.

But once again another game came out and I had to try someone new. I figured that Lucario would do the trick and he has yet to disappoint.

Tirasboi

Smash Rookie
I started in Melee, and used Jigglypuff as a joke. Then I got really good with her. I'll never forget- I was at a party with some friends and had never played the game before. They wanted me to try, so I picked Jiggers.

And proceeded to Hold B and issue a rolling death to all.

Multiple times. It was glorious. They got so upset.

Brawl I started with Peach, but she had changed so much (I miss dsmash from melee!). I am now a Zelda Main.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
Back when I first played 64 (it was at a dressing room in clothing store, strangely enough. I guess they knew kids would need something to do while mothers shopped), I chose Link straightaway. It was partially because I really enjoyed the Legend of Zelda games, but mostly because the only other characters I recognized were Pikachu, Mario, DK and Fox. None of them seemed strong compared to Link ("He has a sword! They don't even have weapons!" Ah, youth.).

I was older and wiser when Melee came out. By then, I'd hit my stride as Mario, so he was the first character I tried.

When Brawl came out, the first opportunity I had to play it was at one of the Gamestop tournaments. Thanks to their strange random select rule, I played as Samus first.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
ah yes, the good old ssb64 days. I believe the first character I played as was pikachu (at a demo at some game store). I knew all the mario characters (plus DK), but I had no clue who link, fox or samus were (I actually played metroid 2 when I was like 5, but couldn't make the connection instantly). Later I rented the game and managed to unlock all the characters, & I started playing mostly as captain falcon.

I started as falcon in melee, but after numerous beatings I changed characters in this order:

falcon ~ link ~ marth ~ jigglypuff

in brawl.... well just look my sig lol

Llore

Smash Rookie
64: Mario, because he's the god of hell fire.
Melee: Marth, Because he reminds me of my favorite anime character Hiko from samurai x and he has a sharp sword to **** little children with his space..... OUCH!
Brawl: Mario GameStop you know the story....

Foobis

Smash Cadet
64: Fox. His blaster was annoying as hell when spammed. He worked wonders against my friend's Link.
Melee: I never played melee before. Guess that means I'm a melee virgin.
Brawl: Snake was the first character I played as (I played on my friend's wii, who had finished the game.)

Wario was the 2nd character I played with and is my best so far.

neodoodot

Smash Rookie
NNID
Neodoodot
when I first played SSB64, I chose DK right away because I was a HUGE fan of the DKC games. I soon moved onto Kirby because I realized he is REALLY good ^^;

then once I tried melee, I was first Kirby because he was my main in the first one and that was all I knew, but then I realized that he wasn't as good as he used to be...so I moved onto Marth, and then eventually Falco and Link.

then the first character I played as in Brawl was Link, because I was good as him in the previous games, and I wanted to see how he has changed. at first I didn't like the changes but I eventually adapted to them, and he's still one of my fave characters to be. I then moved onto Lucas and then a BUNCH of other characters...I then settled with Toon Link as my main, but I have like 4 OTHER characters too ^^;

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
64: Samus! her bair was friggen death to eeryone and everything, stupid Chansy's.
Melee: Marth, Ganon, Falco
SSBB:Marth/Samus, Falco
looks like I need new Chars :(

AranOcean

Smash Ace
NNID
AranOcean
3DS FC
1220-8584-3874
My first character was Pikachu on SBB64. For some odd reason, I had an obsession with Pikachu during my childhood (don't ask why). After I got over my obsession and started getting into Melee and Brawl, I found out that Pikachu was a very fun (and spammy :laugh:) character to play as. In the end, I decided to main him.

Gamerwolf

Smash Rookie
The first char I played in ssb was yoshi because back then my fav animal was a dino LOL

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
SSB64=first character i tried was yoshi because my friend recomemded him to me as being easy to use.
Melee-I mained Samus in 64, and the first thing i did was see how good/bad she was in the game.
Brawl- I used link until i unlocked Ness, my main in Melee.

Blazer

Smash Ace
N64:pikachu
I was a pokemon fanboy
Melee: I think it was Pikachu and my partner was fox, we were red, Pokemon Stadium was the level
Was still a fanboy
Brawl: Ike
I played him in the tourney, on Corneria, v Ice Climbers. I'd been looking at him since he was announced, it just seemed like the way to go. I made an awesome recovery that made everyone in the room go "OOHHHH" but lost cause I thought if time ran out it'd go by damage to speed stuff up.

Dragonoise

Smash Apprentice
SSB64: Started with Link 'cause that was my most obvious choice. Wasn't really good with him, so I switched and stuck with my second most obvious choice: Pikachu.

SSBM: Don't really remember. Either Pikachu or Link because I was already familiar with them. Eventually switched to Roy and Samus combo (<3 fire sword and arm cannon).

SSBB: Pit was first choice 'cause he looked fun to play as. I still use him, but I have the most fun playing as Samus.

rexinator

Smash Apprentice
My first character in ssb64 was Samus (Before I knew Samus was a girl XD) and I always spammed with the lazer

ssbm: honestly... I've never played melee

ssbb: I started off with MK cuz he looked fast and cool, but then I switched to Wolf, and now I switched to Sonic.

Dark Deku

Smash Apprentice
Who and why?

Mine was mario. I was a fresh nintendo noob when I got melee, so I only reconised the mario characters (including dk and yoshi) and pika.
I did reconise link aswell but I didn't know it was link haha. I said to myself

"he looks a adult version of the little boy off the zelda game on my gameboy" lol

And everyone else was just a mystery haha. So yeah mario was my first. And he is still one of my mains as to now.
You didn`t know who Link was? Lol. My first was Link. And is my main today.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
64: started with Pikachu (main Yoshi and Link)

Melee: started with Bowser (I had Gimpyfish's reaction to Bowser being in Smash)...[main Ganon, Link, Yoshi]

Brawl: started with Link (main Ganon, R.O.B)

MBreeto

Smash Ace
Fox, mainly because I liked to play as him in Melee. Then, I ended up switching because I wasn't that good with him

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The first character I ever played as in a Smash game (64) was Pikachu because I was in love with Pokemon at the time. My first character in Brawl was Pokemon Trainer because I've always wanted to battle with a Charizard in real time!

Arcrandom

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5058-0892
When I got SSB64 I was way into pokemon, so pikchu was my first choice, then in meele, I chose captain falcon, because I got used to him in 64, and last in brawl, I chose Ike at the gamestop release tournament.

Freezewish

Smash Ace
64: Link was so cool and he had a sword. I couldnt resist.

Melee: I was into the pokemanz so i chose pikachu. Eventually went Marth after i unlocked him.

Brawl: Metaknight. I told my friends he was broken the first day brawl came out. Did they listen to me? No. Now they see what i saw.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
In 64 the first character i played was yoshi, but i also used falcon and ness with him.

in melee I mained jiggs, and also used falcon yoshi and shiek

in brawl i main Dedede, and i also use yoshi (he's too fun!)

a-maz-ing

Smash Journeyman
I first played SSB64. I read the booklet, and it said Mario was the allrounder, not incredible, but not bad, in every stat.

So I started out with him. Which has become a tradition since, in Melee and Brawl I also started out with Mario everytime.
That's how i was my SSB64. I only knew the mario characters, Link, Pokemon and kirby.(mains: Mario, Luigi, Kirby)

Melee: I decided to use mario again to test the difference between the this game and SBB64 in free for all.(mains: Luigi, Kirby, Link, Samus, Marth)

Brawl: I was goin to pick mario again but decided to use my melee main, Link. Needless to say i still luv Link but....I left him for TL. Maybe next brawl Link. (Mains: Marth, Meta-Knight, KIrby, TL, Luigi,

Top Bottom