• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

rhan

Smash Hero
It's a bitter sweet thing.

Cuz now people are saying that YL ruined Melee.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Young link didn't ruin melee, he just changed the brawl metagame.

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Walked into Apex on Sunday, saw the big screen and asked the guy next to me what round of pools they were up to.

Walked out when he said Grand Finals.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha

i didn't mind bc i like young link

so i get to be in my own little world, enjoying my hour of gf's

D20

Smash Lord
I'll admit that I really enjoyed it the first few times they played, but now it is getting painful to watch. Hungrybox should really just counter-pick Fox (or just train with one of us for a few hours).

rhan

Smash Hero
**** that. I like to see PuffBox lose.
He should have just went/learned Sheik.

Beats YL ez and does decently against Peach.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i don't think hbox, or anybody for that matter, could quickly train a top level sheik enough to beat armada

hbox can do it with his main. he took a set, and failed on the last one.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
i don't think hbox, or anybody for that matter, could quickly train a top level sheik enough to beat armada

hbox can do it with his main. he took a set, and failed on the last one.
I mentioned this in another thread, but he not only took that first set he took it while experimenting the first two rounds. You could tell he was trying new things such as going aggro, and it was almost working to his advantage. Idk what happened in the second set, maybe some poor advice or confidence johns. Either way, you know hbox isn't going to rest now.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
good one, good one

lol i think he won the 2nd set due to Seibrik's advice. brawl too good.

honestly though, he won because he was able to stay grounded and SHIELD BOMBS. this is WAYYYY better at preventing bomb damage than trying to jump around and evade them. puff is too slow for that and that's the reason she loses to bombs in the first place: bc bombs beat her aerials

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Then Jiggz has to throw the bomb.

And YL is good at evading his own bombs.

Also it can leave Jiggz open to eating a boomerang in the face.

rhan

Smash Hero
The bomb's are smaller and tend to have more of a risk if you miss the catch.
It's probably better to just dodge them anyway. I don't know Jigg's speed on throwing projectiles.

SamusPoop

Banned via Warnings
Really I think h-box just knows if he did what armada did it would end up being a silly counter pick game all about the first match where they would blind pick and it would be a 50-50 chance each set IF he could get a quick solid YL counter. Or he could try to improve as puff and shut down that counter and with him winning the 1st set didn't seem all too bad of an idea.

Understand h-box will always do the safest option he can

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
no, hungrybox was taking half the matches as puff...all he needs is a secondary that can beat young link and he would have won regardless of the first match pick

...at first it was kind of fun to watch these sets, but now i really wish he would pick a top tier instead of playing all puff vs ylink even when he has lost so many tourneys

rhan

Smash Hero
KP I've been saying the same thing all around smashboards.

He needs to just get good with Sheik.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Really I think h-box just knows if he did what armada did it would end up being a silly counter pick game all about the first match where they would blind pick and it would be a 50-50 chance each set IF he could get a quick solid YL counter. Or he could try to improve as puff and shut down that counter and with him winning the 1st set didn't seem all too bad of an idea.

Understand h-box will always do the safest option he can
I just don't think that improving his puff is going to any good. Yeah Hbox won that first set, but he got 3-0d the second set. Its a trend seen very often because the person in winners often doesn't take the first seriously. He is just going to lose again the next time they play. Right now I am more confident than ever that he will not pick up a secondary.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hbox's secondaries suck, and would take years to make one good enough to beat one of armada's characters

seriously, yl's worst matchups are falco, fox, and sheik. out of those three hbox would probably go sheik, in which case armada would

a.) just go back to peach since it's a double blind favoring the player who is more skilled with two characters
b.) just body his sheik with ylink

hbox can do this with puff. i believe in hbox, he is really good and really smart, and with the help of seibrik he was able to take a whole set. in that comeback set he was really doing something right, and i think he just needs to feed off that win and study it hard.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Well the way characters are picked are usually like:
- First match, double blind pick (hbox goes puff)
- Every other match in the set, winner picks first then loser picks their character after.
After the first match, hbox would stay puff if he wins and if he loses he can see that armada is locked to young link and counter it with any character he wants.

It's also notable that most players don't even follow this system, so it's very possibly that armada will try to go peach in response to hbox changing characters and we'll be left with an awkward situation.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
well

i just stand by the fact that hbox has no secondaries strong enough to defeat armada's yl

rhan

Smash Hero
Anybody's Sheik can really beat a YL. Unless your sSheik is bad. And I know HBox's Sheik isn't bad.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
dont know if this counts or not, but ive beaten a sheik with ylink. as u might guess he is not the best sheik in the world, but my ylink isnt setting the world on fire ether

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I hate how everyone thinks that just because a MU is heavily in one characters favor, he or she is guaranteed to win, THIS IS NOT TRUE.
Has it not been proven time and time again that SKILL outweighs tier? Armada has proven he has a sick Young Link, Hbox has devoted himself to Jiggs. If his Jiggs can't beat Armadas YL, none of his secondaries sure as hell will. Armada will know all the things Sheik can do to **** up YL and avoid them. Not to mention once YL does avoid those things, he can **** Sheik fairly quickly.
They said that Hbox has a really good Ness, but Ness is terrible at approaching, as is Hbox.

Hack

Smash Journeyman
Hbox will need more than a decent Sheik to beat Armada's Ylink. Just saying.
Armada almost beat PC's Fox in a bo3 with Ylink, and he knows the Sheik MU just as well.

Top Bottom