• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i played a LOT more ylink today

i'm getting much better. almost 4-stocked a marth who was beating my ic's. hahahahahah.

hm... so many trixies.

some stuff i learned

- i always tend to angle boomerangs slightly up vs marth, but i realized that straight rangs are better. only problem is that they interrupt bomb throws on the way back
- shoot random arrows to block sheik's needles
- i learned how to patiently wait for bomb-dair opportunity
- practiced my TRIFORCE OF COURAGE RUSHDOWN which imo is essential to leveling up with young link. can't run away for ever, so sometimes scouting out peoples approaches and nailing them with a very fast nair/uair/dash attack to interrupt can be TOO GOODDDD! bair shield pressure in general is amazing
- sheik is so lame but i'm learning how to limit her with bombs, especially full hop and throw bomb down

my mindset as of late for this character is that he might not be low tier, he just hasn't been unlocked yet. i think of him like how axe plays pikachu. if you just master matchups and figure out how to use all of your moves, you can bring out a character's potential.

i think of young link like a weaker, slower falco, but with way more variations on projectiles. he uses them to get in and pressure, but once he's in he can combo pretty well or at least put himself in a good position for more projectiles.

ahhhh. unlocking young link is so fun guys. i hope i can show yall more videos soon

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
I've been trying some new things with young link involving wall jumps from FD, it seems legit so far. Can't wait to actually upload some matches Keep in mind I have that habit of Dtilt a lot more than usual LOL.

Yeah, Young Link is Def an underrated character. Roy just gets completely destroyed by just holding the grey stick down

Mother****er.
You already know how to play Young Link through me.

And you main Roy. Change your postbit A$$hat!!
Yeah, but I want to develop my own sorta style with him, I really don't like copying people.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
roy is pretty bad lol.

ylink and yoshi are characters that still need to be unlocked imo

except yoshi is freaking hard, and the most technically demanding character in the game after fox

rhan

Smash Hero
Alex..

I don't know what to say about that because you copy everything someone else has done with whatever character/game.

Except when you play Roy. Cuz you are the only Roy player.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Not really Im pretty innovated with Young Link atm. I have a really Unorthodox style.

There are two other Roy players, HBK and Sethlon.

rhan

Smash Hero
I can't wait to play Melee again. Get some matches recorded. Since I haven't played in a good 2 months I think all I'll know when I do play is the basics and come out a ****ing champ.

camerino1

Smash Lord
Hey guys. I picked up Young Link a while ago, and I do well with him against my friends, so I thought I'd start hanging around to see if I can pick up any tricks. My mains are Roy and Young Link, are there any MU's that are still way too out there for me to do with these two?

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Hey guys. I picked up Young Link a while ago, and I do well with him against my friends, so I thought I'd start hanging around to see if I can pick up any tricks. My mains are Roy and Young Link, are there any MU's that are still way too out there for me to do with these two?
Ganon, Falco, Sheik, Marth and Possibly Peach if you don't know what to do as Y link

rhan

Smash Hero
Marth is do-able with Young Link. Just hard as ****.

Ganon is ez too.

Sheik's a *****. But if I'm able to bring Tope down to two stocks in a SHeik v Young Link then it can't be that bad.. >_________________>

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
yeah sheik vs ylink is 90-10
Not true you have more options vs her than Roy, Roy literally has nothing vs Sheik except getting CG'd to 117% and dying.

We get ***** by Needle's, our moves get CC'g, Due to her falling speed, it's relatively hard to combo her with Roy, aside from Dtilt > Nair. If Roy gets grabbed it's over for that stock his falling speed is about bowser's meaning he's getting cg'd to 117% and getting Anything into Fair. Roy's Fair gets shut down by CC'D D-smash. Once sheik gets Roy in the air has has No safe moves to use to get back down unless he Airdodges.

Young Link vs Sheik isn't 10-90
Roy vs Sheik is

rhan

Smash Hero
^^
I agree with Roy ****.

YL v Shiek is more of 20 - 80 or 15 - 85.

Not much of a different but since we have projectiles it makes things more tolerable.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
that's still horrendous!!!!

anyway

to have a not trolling post that's honest

i think ylink sheik is like 35:65, we can actually win if we make it a really strong point to not get grabbed.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I am so bad against Y.Link with Sheik. :laugh:

I'm bizarro Sheik, though. I can fight space animals. But Pikachu? Y.Link? I'm just so lost and awful against them xD

rhan

Smash Hero
Alex.. You're just throwing out moves..

How many times do I have to tell you. YL doesn't need to be fast..

camerino1

Smash Lord
I liked those matches, they were fun to watch. I actually play my YL very closely to that, without the WD because I can't use it in battle properly yet. But yeah, those were all fun. (Your Roy died right away, made me a little sad)

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
how do u gimp fox. also i read the how to kill thing and i didnt satisfy me in how to gimp fox. like if i hit him with the rang can i then jump off and fair him, or would i not be able to recover from that. also one time i went with nair and his up-B fire hit me b4 my nair could reach fox.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
how do u gimp fox. also i read the how to kill thing and i didnt satisfy me in how to gimp fox. like if i hit him with the rang can i then jump off and fair him, or would i not be able to recover from that. also one time i went with nair and his up-B fire hit me b4 my nair could reach fox.
Well you see if you're on the ledge just Push back Jump Nair as soon as you here FIRE.
If you do it right your nair will out prioritize him just keep nairing, till he's forced to land on stage then D-smash him or dash attack him

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
^thats to bad bc i feel i could of taken many more matches from my friends fox if i was able to gimp him. also his ****ing shine gimp on my up-b was a *****.

Also does f-smash ever link? i tried to do it as fast as i could be he was still able to avoid the 2nd hit

rhan

Smash Hero
If you're able to connect the first hit and have the second hit come out fast enough it does. It also works better if they're trying to recover on stage and you happen to hit them with the first hit. Cuz then they'd be DI'ing into the second hit.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I like hitting fox with an arrow in the firefox startup.

So he plummets to his doom.

But he's on fire so he got what he wanted.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
So i have a question. what do u guys consider the MU against jiggs right now? Is ylink a counter to her? and if so do u realize that countering a top tier with a non top tier character puts in a position that off the top of my head i believe is only shared by the IC's. Further more if ylink really does counter jiggs even if its only like a 55-45 I sort of feel there should a be a guide written about this, b/c even through this wont create more ylink mains it should bring some attention to this character which imo is never a bad thing

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I've been saying YL v Jiggs iz a easy *** match up since '07.
i am not sure if its an easy MU (it might be easy since i only recently picked up ylink and i am already getting pretty good results in the mu). I do feel like a guide would be kinda useful b/c imo its not that hard to figure out what to do in the MU something to read just to make sure i am doing it right would be nice.

When i talk to my friends who play jiggs and ask them how they feel about the MU after i just played them, they all have pretty much the same answer. "Its not fun and really annoying/difficult." I love this reaction from them b/c as a peach main they now get to feel what i have been feeling vs jiggs for years now. Anyway even through this is not top lvl play I feel like this reaction is kinda how the MU must feel on all lvl's, and this reaction alone makes me believe ylink has a legit advantage vs jiggs

Also side note: I decided to try Ylink out vs Jiggs just b/c i was curious how the MU is. what i didnt expect was to find ylink to be as fun to play as he is. Like hes not going to replace my main but hes really fun and i now use him in friendlies against people all the time.

Pitzer

The Young Lion
NNID
Pitzer757
Young Link is pretty good vs Jiggs. More of the line of 60-40 Y.link's favor.

Jigg's can't really catch Young Link on bigger stages. And Young link is most likely to kill her very very early since bomb's combo into all of his kill moves

Hack

Smash Journeyman
Ylink probably has the best matchup in the game vs Puff (except for perfect Fox, but we're not there yet). I'd say it's about 60-40, if not slightly worse for Puff, at the level we are at today (Armada-Hbox). Most (or all) arguments for this have already been brought up though.

God, I love Ylink. Such a fun character, even in his bad matchups. I could play him all day! =)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ylink and fox are pretty good vs puff

but IMO, ic's has the best matchup vs puff. 7:3 with ease.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
@hack, i agree he is really fun but at times i get frustrated at not being able to kill, but if that doesn't become a issue I know what u mean when u say u could play him all day.

@choke: u really think ic's vs jiggs is 7:3 for the ic's? I ask b/c i have a friend who plays IC's and he always said he didnt find the jiggs mu that bad but i dont believe he found it 7:3 easy. r u sure its not more like a 6:4 or a 65:35?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
idk. it just feels like 70:30 to me because i literally 3-stock every puff i play

i wanna play hbox to see what it really looks like

but yeah, they just punish puff sooo hard for things that puff doesn't even think she can be punished for

and if she decides to hang back and bair, we can camp behind blizzard alllll day.

Top Bottom