• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It looked like Falco realized the correct way to "better character" Young Link somewhere near the end of the 3rd game in the nick of time.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah, i agree with KK

however i do see that i lost courage/made spacing mistakes in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th match. i'm sure i could do it next time, but man GB was pretty on point.

i actually think FD is the best stage against falco from that experience, because ylink has much better angles for his projectiles. platforms make falco faster and allow his lasers to be all over the place rather than just at certain heights on FD.

ah well. just gotta keep getting better. i chose ylink cuz i think he has higher potential as a character, and i can clearly see my mistakes in match 4/5

1. go in more with nair and uair
2. choose recovery options wisely (need triforce of wisdom)
3. pull/throw bombs at proper distance

in most matchups, grabbing a bomb is the priority. however, falco doesn't allow me to do that sometimes, so i just need to fight back

rhan

Smash Hero
I'm gonna play YL v Falco the right way and switch to Samus.

*hatin on Chok's YL v Falco skillz..*

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
yeah, i agree with KK

however i do see that i lost courage/made spacing mistakes in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th match. i'm sure i could do it next time, but man GB was pretty on point.

i actually think FD is the best stage against falco from that experience, because ylink has much better angles for his projectiles. platforms make falco faster and allow his lasers to be all over the place rather than just at certain heights on FD.

ah well. just gotta keep getting better. i chose ylink cuz i think he has higher potential as a character, and i can clearly see my mistakes in match 4/5

1. go in more with nair and uair
2. choose recovery options wisely (need triforce of wisdom)
3. pull/throw bombs at proper distance

in most matchups, grabbing a bomb is the priority. however, falco doesn't allow me to do that sometimes, so i just need to fight back
This all makes sense to me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahahah sup wid it rhan

the problem i have with most other young link players is that they don't use the triforce of courage, they use the triforce of cowardice

there's a great satisfaction in just running toward people and using your kick attacks rather than using weapons. you're just a 10 year old medieval child taking on other characters with powerful technology or strong muscles. but nah son. i'm too courageous.

there is seriously a gigantic satisfaction in pressuring falcon with bairs, nairs, utilt, uair. so good LOL. who needs bombs when you can GO IN?

however. sometimes we need those tools in order to beat bosses, that's why dungeons oh so conveniently grant us to them. indeed we need the combination of all triforces

but most young link players just tend to forget about courage.

LOL

i have a feeling i'm going to become the kage of young link with the way i'm talking right now. it'll happen. maybe i've been using the wrong characters against him all along.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ylink is my secondary (for now)

i'm just trying to pick him up and pioneer new stuff recently, haven't had much chance to play a lot of people yet.

i lost to sheridan's puff (and proceeded to 2/3 stock him with ic's right after)

so it's not a good sign hahahha. i can't say i main him yet, and not sure if i ever will. but a SOLID, solid secondary right now.

he is still my favorite character in melee

rhan

Smash Hero
Aye **** you. Just because I like to run away most of the battle doesn't mean shyyt.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I personally love to camp people and that's why I YL.

Like... there's no greater satisfaction than having the timer reach about 10 seconds, have my opponent get frustrated, go for the kill, and then NAIR, the game goes to time just before they hit the blast zone.

That said, chok, I really need to work on my aggro as him.

And get to more smashfests.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm, i see haha. to each his own. i hate camping/timing people out.

but i bet my way is funner to watch! hah!!!

:)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
lol

The thing is I'm not actually going for a time out until I realize there's about a minute left.

I suppose I just like my opponent being at around 200% before I go for a kill.

And idgaf if my matches aren't fun to watch, lol.

I don't play for others, I play for me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i play for me too, but it just so happens to be great for spectators hehe

i like how mango plays for spectators. genesis 2 would have been just... STRANGE if it weren't for him.

rhan

Smash Hero
I think every low tier player plays for spectators. lol

and high tier players play for spectators and to win.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
How can anyone think that playing campy is fun? O.o
Because it is. Avoiding combos, running circles around your opponent, and in general frustrating the hell out of them as they try to land hits while being pelted with various projectiles... It's very much fun.

Also considering up close we get ***** by foxco, falcon, sheik, etc...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hahah

whenever i get 6 min+ matches

it's usually not because of campiness, just the matchup

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I really want to like this guy's up tilt but it's just so... weak. And up smash seems unwieldy... and generally riddled with problems.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the best use of utilt is after bairing someone's shield, using utilt, then comboing after it. or of they still block then just go away

utilt leads to uair, generally

rhan

Smash Hero
U air can lead into that too. Plus there's less lag after the move is done (it's almost instantly you can do something else afterwards). That's why I love up smash so much.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
problem with usmash is that the move takes a long time so it's a guaranteed punish if you miss

decent on shield though

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it's not that risky after you aerial someone's shield

however utilt or another aerial is better

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ylink's bair is actually very high quality for shield pressure. 2-hit aerials with low lag generally are good for hitting shields. Just ask Falcon.

Late nair > bair cross up > wait behind them is pretty good.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yep. bair behind someone is my favorite thing to do with young link. sometimes i even just bair again.

i just saw hack's ylink. pretty good! i can pretty much tell how much he taught armada just by watching him LOL. they love fishing for that uair. i learned some ideas, but hack really needs to learn to be rushdown-american and bair people's shields :)

Top Bottom