• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Young Link Discussion

rhan

Smash Hero
The 2nd hit of the d-smash is also stronger. Lol I would add more to this post but I hate typing everything from my phone. I'll probably update with some bs after I get out of class.

I play YL v Link a lot (back when I was in VA).

rhan

Smash Hero
It's cuz the middle-ish part of the d-smash is what gives the knock back for it. So when the sword extends back there's a little bit of the hitbox still up front so if that connects it adds a great deal of knock back. I don't know if it's a semi spike though.

But yeah YL v Link even though he's heavy he's just a bigger you. And slower. Take advantage of that. Quick CC D-smashes can catch the player off guard. Our bombs are better. We control our boomerang just as he can and better. Arrows come out faster. The things he has that we don't is a longer chain and better nair. Everything else is about even. Our D-Smash is his Up B. It's pretty even match-up wise. Camping wise , in theory, we should have better control of situations like that but it's more reliant on how we use the projectiles. Because I have been out-camped by Link before. It's player dependent when it comes to that.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think link wins the close range though, since his jab, grab, upb, and dsmash have great range

however ylink's speed (frame data) is better in close range so i just keep attacking when i'm near him until i can get away haha

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Are there any cool tricks (useful or not) that YL can do? It could be a match-up specific thing or a map specific thing. I want to learn him a bit.

And how do you guys use your projectiles?

And how do you pick up bombs when fighting CF? I feel like I can't breathe because of his speed.

:)

rhan

Smash Hero
Nair beats everything that CF can throw at you except for Nair and Uair. Bombs work against him if you have the time to actually pull them out. Same with boomerang. Utilt is pretty good for pressure. Like if you bair/nair and end up behind him, as soon as you L cancel and land just throw out an utilt/u-smash. If you catch him with one of those then you can juggle his *** for years as long as you keep up the SH's and L cancels.

One trick I know off the top of my head that Young Link can do is only on Yoshi's Story. If the opponent is on the top platform and you high hop Dair it's an auto flamespike on them and it'll send them straight up. Works also if the opponent is on the other platforms and you short hop and Dair.

Other tricks include:

- Dropping bombs on platforms.
- Up B edge cancel (used to grab the edge quicker then wavedashing also riskier beacuse if you screw up you fly off).
- Moonwalk.
- Taunt cancel (Throw boomerang, taunt, catching boomerang cancels taunt animation).

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Thanks alot. I'm already doing utilts when I land behind them after an attack.

I have some issues with the Uair juggle because I don't really know how long I have to wait after the impact before I can start fastfalling yet.

I guess I try to pull bombs in the wrong situations against CF then. I will start nairing him more but what do you do against him when he is on low %? Can't he CC and counter attack against most of the non-sword attacks?

When do you guys use fair?

- Up B edge cancel (used to grab the edge quicker then wavedashing also riskier beacuse if you screw up you fly off).
How do I do this?

Thx again :)

SSBM_Sora

The Yung God
Go to my YouTube channel. This was like four months back when I was still eh but I finally uploaded them but no audio. I can't link because I'm on phone at work but my channel is SoraxAyu. I'm way better now though

:phone:

0Room

Smash Lord
Nair beats everything that CF can throw at you except for Nair and Uair.
You make that seem like a bad thing

Those are his two best combo moves and YLink is super comboable :awesome:
Basically you're going to do what YLink does best and cover options, making it hard for him to move.
CF is a momentum character, take away the momentum and you take away his greatest strength.

Oh and don't get grabbed
That's bad

rhan

Smash Hero
Just thought about this:

If you also want to **** with a CF player on a stage with Platforms. Just place bombs on platforms and try to stand near them. He'll be afraid to come to you until it's gone or if he's ballsy he'll try to get the bomb or just say eff it and charge at you. Either way it puts you in a position where you can react to whatever he's doing. Like if he's playing defensively just pull out another, throw it at him then grab the one on the platform and throw that one. Double the bomb pressure. If he goes for the bomb, intercept him. If he just says eff it and charges at you.. idk. lol

But yeah. Just random thought.

Also dtilt/d-smash and the easiest on stage edge guards. Dtilt is a meteor spike and it better used when he's trying to recover from below and d-smash is better used when he's just trying to recover horizontally. If you're ballsy just jump out with a Nair and intercept his recovery. Then you recover easy.

vgmastaricky: I had 5 years on the little guy. And I'm still learning new shyyt about him every time I play.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I just did a pretty sweet 0-death combo on my friend's peach.
It was : Bomb --> Nair--> Utilt--> FH Bair-->Falling Uair--> FH Fair -->Platform drop Boomerang, (from the left platform on Yoshi's) interupting his recovery jump -->Nair -->Edgehog -->Win

So basically I had some luck with interupting his jump with my boomerang and probably some DI. His umbrella wasn't enough without a jump and he died at about 90%.

I love young link :D I'm definitely gonna put some more work into him

I don't really like the peach match-up overall though . It feels like she hits me often and that it's always atleast a 2-3 hit combo.

Anyways, it's probably too early for me to say anything yet about the match-ups... I need to play them more first.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
in fact, you don't really need to be "ballsy" to edgeguard falcon with nair. it's more guaranteed than dtilt/dsmash as long as he's recovering from far/low. good falcons can be great at sweetspotting

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha well

don't be afraid :)

it'll pay off

think about it. falcon's up B is a grab that doesn't have a very great hitbox. if you hit it from above, or if your leg stretches out far enough, there's really no risk!

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
I think you could also do arrow -> bomb drop / ff nair or something.

Man I gotta backto using yl lol. Too much samus. Still gonna main samus but I need to practice yl. It's gotten so bad

:phone:

rhan

Smash Hero
I play both Samus and YL. Step it up guy.

But yeah I know it pays off greatly bit I just suck when it comes to spacing. Which is why I like staying on and just D-Smashing or edge hogging. It's just feels naturally safer for me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha hm edge hog to ledge hop nair works too

but it's bad for high recoveries

face your fears rhan!!! :D

(i discovered that aggression is actually really good for the ganon matchup, but the risk is sooooo crazy. LOL. truly a courageous battle.)

triforce of courage!!!

rhan

Smash Hero
Skler said it best:

Courage is the worse one to have. Wisdom allows you to transform into a homothug ninja. Power allows you to murder everything in 2 solid hits. And courage is like running around blindfolded with a pair of scizzors. It's just stupid. Lmaoooooo

Link and Young Link got screwed in this situation.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
courage usually means bravely using all the tools you have to defeat the opponent

bravely, meaning taking risks!

we have nair, bair, and uair that have excellent hitboxes and frame data that will easily compete with the hitboxes of falcon and ganon. the thing is, it is very scary for YL players to actually approach them. i was playing against bizzarro flame and i started rushing him with nairs and bairs... and it proved really effective

crush

Smash Master
dont you just hate it when falcons upB-ing from below the stage and you wanna hit him with d smash but he reverses his up-b so you cant hit him and then does the reverse ledge grab

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yeah that's annoying. def a 2011 play that's becoming very common. i see bizzarro and s2j space it so well so that my ic's and ylink dsmashes no longer connect.

Skler

Smash Master
Courage is pretty much the worst thing to be endowed with.

Power: I have the ability to move mountains and crush all who oppose me! Woe unto thee who oppose my might!

Wisdom: I'm beloved and can use my wits to overcome opponents.

Courage: I'm not scared of things, but not because I shouldn't be since I'm neither smart nor strong.

Strangely enough, the character with the most courage is often Ganon or Zelda.

Zelda: Leads a resistance against the all-powerful Ganondorf even when there's no hope.

Ganon: Takes over the world, crushing the kingdom and all of its armies, going so far as to OPPOSE THE GODS.

Link: Travels to temples to ask Sages to help him. Pushes several heavy blocks.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
good think link usually ends up being the one defeating ganon and saving zelda, despite his lack of those other things.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
Well Link did go inside of a dying ****ing tree to slay an army of giant spiders and evil plants, with an even bigger giant spider in a foggy, pitch black chamber as a boss when he was ****ing 10.

Not that that takes any courage at all.

rhan

Smash Hero
In the world of Smash. Link loses a lot.

And will never break out of being a low tier.

Top Bottom