• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Super Dragon is back but it looks buffed. His fireballs pass through enemies now instead of being solid.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
I couldn't take footage I was playing and didn't bring a friend. Just me :(
He felt wonderful though.

~PRiDE

Hey Patrick, my name is Patrick. I gotta see that up smash for myself.

Edit: just saw the video posted in the other thread. Liking how yoshi moves now.
What video in which thread?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I just watched that too. His dash attack is also insanely good it seems too, and SSmash is buffed. On top of that, he can jump out of shield.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Was gonna post the same thing, Yoshi can jump out of shield fellas. Hope the demo stuph for Yoshi is final since, well, we're all playing him.

When I went to best buy, I waited 3 or so hours to play one single 2 minute match. But before I got my chance to play WiiU version, I was given a 3ds to play. Didn't think Yoshi would be available but there he was.
Chose him immediately and tried jumping OoS, it worked but anyways to my point. While I only got to try it for 40 (or even less) seconds, we can kinda sorta control our movements while using Egg toss. Along with the fact it still has the hop on it, so that's good for us.

Last edited:

SPIRE_FAN

Smash Cadet
Here is the Yoshi changelog I gathered so far after playing smash 4 on 3DS today:
- He can Jump Out of Shield!!!!
- UP B has much faster startup
- Side B still has a lot of unsafe startup
- Command Grab about same range as Brawl
- Down Air startup reduced
- Can still Rising Aerial
- Down B ledge grab still works (was a little hard to do it multiple times in quick succession, don't know if that particular part completely works)
- Can still turn around mid jump (pretty sure) - Forward Air and Up Smash animations changed.
- New Dash Attack
- Super Dragon returns as Final Smash!

I had a blast playing it, game is super fun, which is exactly what they aimed for. I really want to play him via the 3DS Demo again... Ahhh!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Why didn't you get to play the full 3ds match? They could've had someone else take your place on the Wii U and have you hop in the next match surely :c

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Thing is I was next in line to play the wii u version, also when I chose Smash then Yoshi, it took me to a room with just sandbag. So I don't think I was playing with other people.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
That makes a bit more sense, it sounded like you must've had to leave the 3DS mid-match or something. From the vids I've watched so far the sandbag room seems just like brawls waiting room.
Just imagine if they sent everyone a demo on their own personal 3DS's...we can dream, right?

Anyway thanks for giving us the info!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Up B: Blue Shell.

It's called a SPINY Shell!
Actually, I've got to correct you there buddy. The blue shell in SMW doesn't function like it does in Mario Kart games, nor does it have the spikes. It's just like a standard green koopa shell in any other Mario game, but the different coloured shells in SMW give Yoshi different properties, the blue koopa shell gives Yoshi wings.

Sharky

Smash Master
sounds good so far! How about other stuff? Are his double jump aerial mechanics about the same as brawl? How did range look on attacks from a quick glance? Grab animations?

edit: PRiDE!!! WE MISS YOU!!!

doubleedit: aaaaand that's what I get for rarely ever checking these new boards out...a quick look around shows that you've been posting for a while lol

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I didn't get the chance to attack anything, first thing I did when I grabbed the 3ds and picked yoshi was shield and jump. Then Eggtoss to find out the thing I said earlier, after that failed attempts to try and egg toss to see that again but eventually gave up the 3ds to take my turn on the Wii U after almost 4 hours.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
All of the old slidey-ledge-canceley egg toss ATs are still in :')

Egg roll is basically Melee's, like even down to the bounce height, but with more damage.
Pivot grab's animation was weird.
His Fox-like usmash is pretty cool.
No DJC.
Fair has more range now but it seems like all it's done is made the meteor smash harder to hit with since the range increase is only for the sourspot.
Dair is fricking cute.

That's about it.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
His Up-B feels way better for recovery than in Brawl too. I felt like it gave him a ton of momentum now! He felt better than in any past smash game imo.

Last edited:

AfRo ToAd

Smash Cadet
NNID
AfRo_ToAd
His Up-B feels way better for recovery than in Brawl too. I felt like it gave him a ton of momentum now! He felt better than in any past smash game imo.
His down-b has a alot of armor and his dair is scary off a full jump.
Please tell us you managed to get some footage D:

As a Yoshi main i went all out and tested everything. Heres whats new

He can now jump OoS

His Fsmash gives him a little boost forward (like how falco/kirby/jiggypuff etc makes them go forward a little while fsmashing)

New Usmash (Very similar to Fox's) He does a backflip kickupwards which looks amazing.

New dash attack!! He does a horse jump kick and its KO potential is very good

His Side B is SOOOO MUCH BETTER!! If you fall off the stage while doing side b he can now come back and isnt in a useless state anymore

Up B makes him go higher tham he did in brawl. VERY good.

And it may be me but it seems like his jump got nerfed. Idk we will see.

Other than that OUR BOY YOSHI HAS GOTTEN MUCH BETTER!! ;D

I got to play the 3DS version for about 10 minutes so i checked out alll of yoshi ^-^

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Most of that stuff we found out, but the Side-B thing for Yoshi as well is cool. Shaya found the Fox side-b thing, but didn't think it'd be the same for yoshi.
It may actually be possible that anybody who had Side-B's that put them in a freefall state it no longer does fer them.

Ice Climbers, Falco, Wolf, Meta Knight etc. (if confirmed)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
His down-b has a alot of armor
Ooooooh man, this is fantastic, I NEED to try this out Saturday if I get the chance. If Yoshi can down b through even just Jabs, that makes his close range mix up game INSANE.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I do not think I'm going Saturday. Not worth the heat while going there, and waiting in line in hopes of being given a 3ds while waiting 3-4 hours to play one 2 minute match on the wii u that doesn't have Yoshi.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Some guys from our scene actually know the Nintendo rep and so we're going in a little earlier to get a little time with it, so if I get my hands on the 3DS version, I guarantee Ill look into some Yoshi stuff.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Find out about the eggtoss thing I mentioned, DR, Usmash OoS (just to try it out and paint the best buy white), and test Usmash DownB and the Side b off level and still being able to do anything.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Yoshi's new Up Smash was one of the more noticeable things for me when playing as him. I think his Egg Throw might also perform better than usual.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
sounds good so far! How about other stuff? Are his double jump aerial mechanics about the same as brawl? How did range look on attacks from a quick glance? Grab animations?

edit: PRiDE!!! WE MISS YOU!!!

doubleedit: aaaaand that's what I get for rarely ever checking these new boards out...a quick look around shows that you've been posting for a while lol
Heyyyy. I miss you guys too!!! Just a few more months until we can dissect the character all over again!

I will be sharing the process though with my fav Character of all time, Pac Man.

Attachments

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dont know what you mean by trail based, but ive always been able to fully control where the egg goes in Brawl, just like i can in Melee. They feel different, but both are definitely fully controlable, main difference is in Melee you can throw it slightly behind Yoshi as well. Regardless, ill try and see if i can test it Saturday.

Last edited:

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
I tried the 3DS version and Yoshi's double jump was fast like a spring. Was that just the jump powerup or is it a real change? His down-tilt is the same as Brawl, and his egg lay is about the same as Brawl I think with its short range. Very cool! I'll totally get it for 3DS :).

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
There is only Yoshi.
There is no changing.
There will always only be Yoshi.

To sum it up:
Yoshi.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
^^ I also felt this.. But I wasn't sure if it was because the screen was smaller, or the game was faster... haha ..

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Think he's still focusing on making music with Fragmancy. If anything, instead of combo videos, just working with the 1-3 minute stuff he made of messing with AT's is fine too with some nice Pendulum music playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom