• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi

Status
Not open for further replies.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Smash Chu, if you think the demographic of competitive players is small, I think the demographic of lawyers, accountants, real estate agents, et cetera who play smash and get butthurt over a more competitive player whopping their ass, or even play against competitive players, is WAY smaller. You have to target the masses, don't you?
Edit: Sorry I'll stop now.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Let's try a social experiment. Go to a crowded public place. Wear a shirt with a pony on it and bring a toy. Then shout out "I love My Little Pony". See how many people take you seriously.
Everybody that knows me know how much I love the show, but because they aren't douchebags they're still my friends and still respect me, they know that it's just a show. While I agree that prejudice is pretty harsh these days, no one forces you to be part of the pooper crowd.

Anyways, this discussion doesn't belong here, it's become more of a Smashchu vs The World than a Yoshi discussion.

Edit: Didn't see Mario & Sonic Guy's post, and I don't really see a "Delete Post" button, so sorry for carrying on with it.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I think Yoshi is fine for the most part.

He should just be able to make earthquakes when flying against the ground during his Final Smash. That way, it would represent all of Yoshi's abilities in SMW.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A grab change.

When Yoshi grabs an opponent with his tongue and shoves his enemy in his mouth, a cross-hair should appear. This cross-hair can be moved around Yoshi. Yoshi chews opponent automatically, doing damage until A is pressed. When A is pressed the opponent is sent in the direction of the cross-hair.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yoshi should be able to:
- Jump out of shield
- Jump Cancel out of Side B
- Should have full analog input for Egg throw. (None of this predefined spots bull)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I did alter Yoshi's Brawl model so that his T-pose is more humanoid-looking.

You'd think that now that Yoshi spends more time with his humanoid posture, that he'd maintain that kind of posture for the Super Smash Bros. series.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I did alter Yoshi's Brawl model so that his T-pose is more humanoid-looking.

You'd think that now that Yoshi spends more time with his humanoid posture, that he'd maintain that kind of posture for the Super Smash Bros. series.
but that's in the MARIO FRANCHISE.
yoshi has his normal stature in the recent YOSHI's island 3DS (or whatever.) so to represent the YOSHI franchise, he should be like he is in the YOSHI games!

(I just like the other stance better is what I'm getting at.)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Seems kind of odd that Yoshi wasn't in the trailer and initial reveal like the rest of the original 8. He'll most likely be the next character shown on the new website.

PATRiCK PRiDE

Smash Rookie
I honestly would rather they give him a whole new move set... like what they did with Pit... Keep his signature moves but like get rid of egg lay, for something more useful. I like his shield, unpokeable.. just make him be able to jump out of it... Also give him better priority..

I honestly would just like to be able to pick Yoshi and not have everyone laugh or think he is a gimmick character... lol

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yoshi wasn't in the Brawl e3 trailer either though. It's not odd at all.
It's odd because the rest of the original 8 were shown (Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikachu and Fox,) but Pit took Yoshi's spot in the trailer for whatever reason. I guess the Kid Icarus logo looked better in the trailer than the Yoshi's Island one, especially considering some people barely consider Yoshi to have a series of his own, and that a new Yoshi's Island character seems unlikely.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Out of the original 8, Yoshi was not shown. and I think this might be the reason why......

yeah, i think He may get a rebooted set. just like Roll in TvC, Jill in MvC3, and(to a lesser extent) Mario and Falco in Brawl did.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I honestly would rather they give him a whole new move set... like what they did with Pit... Keep his signature moves but like get rid of egg lay, for something more useful. I like his shield, unpokeable.. just make him be able to jump out of it... Also give him better priority..

I honestly would just like to be able to pick Yoshi and not have everyone laugh or think he is a gimmick character... lol
You know taking out Egg Lay is out of the question. That and Yoshi Bomb are the most iconic moves (and his only ones in SMW). I don't think they'll make big changes to the moveset, but he's definitely going to have some changes (since apparently he's completely different each game). Since it also looks like it's Brawl's engine with minor tweaks, it could be that he won't have DJC either. So long as they keep him from jumping out or making some use out of his shield, he'll remain a gimmick character.

It's odd because the rest of the original 8 were shown (Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Pikachu and Fox,) but Pit took Yoshi's spot in the trailer for whatever reason. I guess the Kid Icarus logo looked better in the trailer than the Yoshi's Island one, especially considering some people barely consider Yoshi to have a series of his own, and that a new Yoshi's Island character seems unlikely.
Yoshi didn't debut in 1986. While DK, Kirby and Fox didn't start at that year either, they were consistently shown in the trailers. Some people don't consider him having his own series is pretty somewhat true and somewhat not when most of his games are YI remakes.

Broken picture.
Fix your link

PATRiCK PRiDE

Smash Rookie
Scatz the egg lay signature move can easily be made into a throw if they were serious about changing him.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I personally really like the idea that you could swallow someone and then move around freely with them for a bit as they struggle to get out, and then choose to either lay them or spit them out. It'd mean that you could tongue 'em, walk to the edge of the stage, and eggpoop them out off a cliff.

Sure, they probably won't die, but they'll panic... and that's always fun.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Fix your link
stange, it worked yesterday. anyway it was this:

I'm getting the feeling it could be a possibility, due to Characters both getting modern updates(O:M Samus, Uprising Pit, BiS Bowser) and moveset reboots(Pit).

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

I'm getting the feeling it could be a possibility, due to Characters both getting modern updates(O:M Samus, Uprising Pit, BiS Bowser) and moveset reboots(Pit).

I don't really think so- I feel like they're trying to update characters to their most recent appearance that fits the general theme that they're going for (colorful yet realistic, like Link sticking with his Twilight Princess design but getting more saturated colors). Yarn yoshi (and yarn kirby) as an alternate costume would be totally adorable, though.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice

Yeah. I also believe there is a possibillity of yoshi either being changed into it's yarn form, or that there will be a separate yarn yoshi character. I hope the latter. This would however be unusual seeing that smash bros characters tend to be designed/themed after their presence on older consoles.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
You know taking out Egg Lay is out of the question. That and Yoshi Bomb are the most iconic moves (and his only ones in SMW). I don't think they'll make big changes to the moveset, but he's definitely going to have some changes (since apparently he's completely different each game). Since it also looks like it's Brawl's engine with minor tweaks, it could be that he won't have DJC either. So long as they keep him from jumping out or making some use out of his shield, he'll remain a gimmick character.
I don't see any of specials changing except the Egg Roll ability. Most of his moves are staple in his series so i doubt it's going anywhere.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I'm beginning to suspect that they didn't show Yoshi in the trailer because thye plan to make big changes to him, maybe giving him baby Mario this time around.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm beginning to suspect that they didn't show Yoshi in the trailer because thye plan to make big changes to him, maybe giving him baby Mario this time around.
That doesn't sound too right though. Yoshi has been solo since Super Smash Bros..

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm not sure how adding Baby Mario would affect his moveset, though.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
Baby Mario? as in an attack. Having Yoshi hall him on his back all time would be kind of silly imo.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If it means that I can throw him off the stage at an instant I'm all up for it. Stupid baby.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how adding Baby Mario would affect his moveset, though.
Well, if it's like Yoshi's Island for the Nintendo DS...

Baby Mario: Makes Yoshi move faster.
Baby Peach: Makes Yoshi float gently down.
Baby DK: Makes Yoshi's moves stronger.
Baby Wario: Attracts items, coins, and anything else metal.
Baby Bowser: Makes the Ground Pound move faster and stronger and replaces Yoshi's Egg Lay with Baby Bowser spitting out fireballs. All at the expense of making Yoshi heavier and slower... slightly.

For good measure, they can also add Baby Luigi to make Yoshi jump higher,

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Could be a new cool gimmick for Yoshi. Maybe make it so he can change babies with the taunt button.

Tanea

Smash Ace
think if they add the babies what would ruin the integrity of the character by showing that he couldn't simply fight by himself. I do find that idea interesting but if would 't be fair base all of yoshis moves from one ds games that came out like 6 years ago. specially when he does have iconic moves like the hip drop and egg lay.

I would appreciate his shield to be stronger and for him to able to jump out it
he also need his a big boost to all of his smash attacks

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Tether Recovery and more control over egg throw like in Melee and 64.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Yoshi & Baby Mario would be an incredibly cool way to revamp his character.
I've loved him since 64, but he is a very overlooked character.

I wouldn't be mad if they completely redesigned his character by adding Baby Mario.

He could have a higher normal jump, but then a few flutter jumps like in Yoshi's Island.
His egg throw could be like in Yoshi's Island where he can move around aiming it.
His normal b egg lay could be used on other characters and items, and then used with his up b to throw them in that egg to explode further away.
Side b could incorporate Baby Mario somehow, maybe his Super Baby Mario cape
Down b is perfect.
A tongue/Baby Mario tether recovery would be cool.

Another cool thing would be if Yoshi gets hit hard enough Baby Mario falls off into the bubble and Yoshi needs to pop him
Without Baby Mario on his back he would become weaker
I know most people wouldn't like this idea, but it would be a cool addition to the game to make Yoshi a really unique character

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It'd be fun if Yoshi's tongue could be used to eat projectiles and gain their properties. In Mario games he can eat fire attacks and then spit out fireballs, and in the Yoshi games there are several different elements that Yoshi can consume and then spit back out.

So, he could tongue grab an item and then the next time he uses his special he'd either spit it back out or get an elemental attack based off the projectile swallowed.

Thoughts?

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
It'd be fun if Yoshi's tongue could be used to eat projectiles and gain their properties. In Mario games he can eat fire attacks and then spit out fireballs, and in the Yoshi games there are several different elements that Yoshi can consume and then spit back out.

So, he could tongue grab an item and then the next time he uses his special he'd either spit it back out or get an elemental attack based off the projectile swallowed.

Thoughts?
This idea really interests me. Only I'm thinking about it a bit differently. If Villager can pick up projectiles, it almost seems like a logical necessity to allow Yoshi to do it as well, especially considering that's one of the best aspects of his tongue in SMW. It would be more limited than Villager's in some way such as only being able to keep it for a limited time before it expires or maybe being unable to move until he spits it out.

I actually think this is something that could reasonably be in the game. It fits Yoshi pretty well and we've already seen this sort of thing as a gameplay element. Wait and see, I suppose.

Yoshi

Smash Lord

Thoughts?
I really like this idea! Not only is this a throwback, it's bringing something new to his character. Not much has been added into Brawl, but I'm looking forward to using Yoshi again in SSB4.
Great suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom