• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Samus [Summary Updated: 8/17/2009]

Metatitan

Smash Master
Briiiiiiiiiiiiiing-ha.

I missed a couple of pages, read through them, and then read the summary of the Samus v. Yoshi matchup. Very nicely written, perhaps I was underestimating Samus.

We do have a poor shield, and good Samus players know how to defend very well...

And Samus does have a **** Dair. But still, 35:65? Yoshi's tilts work extremely well against Samus. We're fine, providing we can get past the defensive barrier of missile attacks Samus has implemented.

Hmm. This certantly is a fun matchup, I should've played more Samus players at Pownz. I did play one, and it was a pretty easy battle. I just got up close, and punished the hell out of him, since Samus has laggy attacks and low priority. I was still wary, because I took this thread's information into consideration, lolololol.

So now we know Delfino allows us to approach and get at Samus. Good stuff, should come in handy. I agree maybe 55:45, or 50:50 would be an appropriate matchup ratio.

as for tilts, that only works IF u can get past their defense. remember a samus who does not know how to fight a yoshi will get *****. and don't mention xyro being special or anything because what if all samus players got to that level? its possible they can and its taking the potential of that character vs the potential of ours. samus' dair and uair have pretty good priority and they arent very laggy so idk what made u think this :dizzy:

Airborne

Smash Lord
as for tilts, that only works IF u can get past their defense. remember a samus who does not know how to fight a yoshi will get *****. and don't mention xyro being special or anything because what if all samus players got to that level? its possible they can and its taking the potential of that character vs the potential of ours. samus' dair and uair have pretty good priority and they arent very laggy so idk what made u think this :dizzy:
imagine if HugS picked samus up again.... >.< omfg we'd be screwed

.Marik

is a social misfit
and they arent very laggy so idk what made u think this :dizzy:
I was talking about Samus's attacks in general. Her Jabs, Utilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, etc...

Dair is easily her best move, along with Zair. I never said that specific move was laggy and consisted of low priority.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I was talking about Samus's attacks in general. Her Jabs, Utilt, Fsmash, Dsmash, etc...

Dair is easily her best move, along with Zair. I never said that specific move was laggy and consisted of low priority.

those moves u listed are moves that are usually other characters' gtfo move, is this why u thought yoshi held even grounding with samus? yeah she up b's outta shield and we dont really have an answer to that :cry:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
imagine if HugS picked samus up again.... >.< omfg we'd be screwed
He tried and drop samus. He mains rob and uses falco/snake now days. Even the mightly wes wont pick up samus.

Use the eggs to keep them shielding, but uair should beat dair (haven't tested). Either way, it is a possibility, although not too risky compared to our other approaches.
for the record: yoshis u-air beats samus d-air.

those moves u listed are moves that are usually other characters' gtfo move, is this why u thought yoshi held even grounding with samus? yeah she up b's outta shield and we dont really have an answer to that :cry:
UP+B oos DECIMATES all melee aproaches yoshi has. ALL of them!

Bair to jab
Bair to f tilt
bair to up tilt

ANY combination of jabs to tilts

and many many many more

Person below me: jab CAN cancel out UP+B but we tend to UP+B after your 3rd jab which greatly reduces your chances of canceling the up+b

Xyro77

if any of you wanna do some wifi just to get some wifi samus exp. lets play!!!!!

Xyro77

I played airborne in about 15 matches, he won 2. vids should be comin up soon.

Airborne

Smash Lord
****, just got my *** handed to me by xyro, but it was the most fun i've had in a while.
things i learned:
only go offstage against samus if you know that they're going to try to pivot grab the stage, in which cas you should try to intercept with nair dair or fair
also, well spaced bairs **** samus when she's on the ledge and is trying to make an entrance back on. i managed to even stop samus before zair was pulled out, so you just need to be able to predict.
shield is your best friend.
use uair hella more if you don't enough already
spontaneuos downb's work fairly well, even though i somewhat abused it.
never use dair against samus unless you're going to have absolutely no lag at all... actually against anyone, for that matter
shield pressure is so awesome...
dash grabs work somewhat well against a campy samus, as long as you don't use them frequently
once xyro posts some of the videos, i'll see what i did wrong and post them.

one thing i learned about my playstyle is that i seem to be obsessed with going offstage way too much when i send the opponent flying.... i piss myself off quite a bit b/c of this -.-

ggs xyro! i did better than i think i did! XD

Chaco

Never Logs In
I would play Xyro, but after like one time of getting beat I'd go GW. <.<

Chaco

Never Logs In
LOL I know he would. But it's give me a better chance. I might play Xyro.

Xyro77

Xyro(samus) vs AirBorne(yoshi) we did about 15 and he won 2. I only put up 7 because 15 would take decades. And yes this is wifi so dont make a big ordeal over it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f704iKLTsQ (fd)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6IH04AMS6M (Delphino but vid is cut off)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNC0HVCqio8 (pkmn 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCjTemOc7I ( Yoshi island but i deliever a 3 stock)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR0GZsWZvnM (lylat)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4DVtTFvjHU (halbert)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4uMhvPfbuw (on greens greens i STAGE SPIKE WITH UP-SMASH)

i learned somthing from fighting all you yoshi players. Is there something special about yalls upsmash? It seems like it has super armor or something that goes through attacks. maybe im just dreamin

Metatitan

Smash Master
yeah its good, it has invincibility on the head. we love it so much we've tested like every aspect of it. u wish u had a sexy up smash ;o (although yours does like 23% uncharged so thats always nice lol)

Xyro77

yeah its good, it has invincibility on the head. we love it so much we've tested like every aspect of it. u wish u had a sexy up smash ;o (although yours does like 23% uncharged so thats always nice lol)
invincibility.............................

that move is key in defeating samus(now that i know this info)

Chaco

Never Logs In
I don't remember, but isn't link a really bad match up?

I haven't played one in forever.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Yea, we hate Link too.
Airborne, I know its wifi and everything, but are you alergic to dodges? You don't seem to use dodges of either the air or spot variety at all... and they kinda make Yoshi. A good offence isn't always the best defence. Great use of the shield though.

Airborne

Smash Lord
ehh it was the first time i've played in a while, so i was trying to playing slightly different in order to attempt to fix what i'm doing wrong, so i wasn't really spotdodging much. =\

Metatitan

Smash Master
Yea, we hate Link too.
Airborne, I know its wifi and everything, but are you alergic to dodges? You don't seem to use dodges of either the air or spot variety at all... and they kinda make Yoshi. A good offence isn't always the best defence. Great use of the shield though.
dodges dont work that well against a good opponent, they just read them and punish u harder. sure u have to use them but when u use them it can sometimes be as risky as not dodging at all

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
yoshi's auto cancel in his double jump can be very useful
when some is spamming samus's blaster.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
i got my @$$ handed to me by Xyro at Low Hobo 2 lol
samus's projectiles beat eggs and i just found it hard to approach. Also my edge game was thrown off...
I never played such a good Samus, didn't know what to do xp

.Marik

is a social misfit
Xyro is better than Samus.

Just remember that. =P

Doesn't mean the matchup is 35:65 Samus's favour lol.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^
Actually it does. We went through the matchup in detail and xyro vs bwett/furbs only helped proved it.
But that bad?

And it depends on the stage. We **** Samus on stages where she's Uair/other rising aerial bait.

Xyro>Samus.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Meta is right. Yeah, Xyro is that good, but that shows that other Samus' are capable of doing the same IF they reach his level.
Hmm. Good point to consider, actually. 35:65 is too much of a hard counter, though. I'm thinking it's not that bad.

Metatitan

Smash Master
35:65 Does not mean hard counter. It just means well... counter. If samus had a legitimate killing move (say charged shot was the power that it SHOULD be) then yes, she would be a hard counter.

bigman40

Smash Master
this is why these 5 values don't need to be included. It's practically a hard counter since the fact that we have to work harder than we need to work for a 40:60

Metatitan

Smash Master
30:70 would mean shes as bad as say marth (debatable by some people, I wanna see how the matchup discussion goes, I've seen numbers from 30:70 to 40:60). She isn't a matchup where you would be for certain to lose (you have a tiny bit of hope at least) but she is a matchup where counterpicking another character would be really wise.

Top Bottom