• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tournament Results: End of an Era, A New Beginning? *updated August 19th

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Sorry Boomer, But that's A last place result.
@Yoshi101 - Go for it, any results are accepted if they qualify the rules.

Tournaments Included In Update:

San-Kakuto-Geemu
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298457
(2/26/11)
13th out of 31
MX

PnT East Northport, NY
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307329
(07/16/11)
5th out of 20
Raptr

WakuWakuSmash (France)
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13068329&postcount=614
(07/23/11)
25th out of 48
Aurablast

PnT 7/23/11 E. Northport, NY
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=307651
(07/23/11)
4th out of 12
Raptr

FNB North Presents: L.I.R.R. - Franklyn Square, NY
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308114
(07/30/11)
25th out of 52
Raptr

B.A.M.F 3 - Michigan
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308187
(07/30/11)
9th out of 22
WuvS

San Japan 4TW
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308553
(08/06/11)
7th out of 64
Slush

KTAR 6
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308914
(08/13/11)
9th out of 130
Delta

Brawl Lone Star Circuit Event #4: Nikefest 4
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308904
(08/13/11)
9th out of 33
Slush

Brawl Lone Star Circuit Event #4: Nikefest 4
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308904
(08/13/11)
25th out of 33
FTP

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
My sets from Nikefest 4: Game one, PJ won with two stocks left at 130%. I took him to his last stock on RC for game two, but he went MK. I SD'd at the end. In Loser's, I faced KoN (MK). He 3-stocked me game one and for game two I took him to his last stock, 70%. I seem to almost come back for my CPs but I can't. It's almost tempting to go another character. *sigh* Guess I just need more 'real' practice.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Guys, I need to stop going into autopilot mode, but I cant figure out how. I tend to do REALLY good when Im on top of my game (almost came back from a 1 stock to 4 2v1 against Choice/Trevonte on RC cuz I was hella concentrating, got them each to 1 stock high % before I died) and I tend to face **** people in my area when im really focusing (like getting 90% unanswered on X, near 0-deathing top ranked players in my PR, etc). The problem is, I have a hard time getting that state of mind/figuring out how to reach it/staying in that mindset and I tend to start to just do random **** without thinking straight. It sounds kinda kooky and high headed, but I know have the ability/potential to pull out through pretty much anything, but I just cant mentally figure out how to get that level of play when I need it most. Any tips?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I saved a couple where I did that at Genesis. Although they're on random Wiis and I have no idea who owned them.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Guys, I need to stop going into autopilot mode, but I cant figure out how. I tend to do REALLY good when Im on top of my game (almost came back from a 1 stock to 4 2v1 against Choice/Trevonte on RC cuz I was hella concentrating, got them each to 1 stock high % before I died) and I tend to face **** people in my area when im really focusing (like getting 90% unanswered on X, near 0-deathing top ranked players in my PR, etc). The problem is, I have a hard time getting that state of mind/figuring out how to reach it/staying in that mindset and I tend to start to just do random **** without thinking straight. It sounds kinda kooky and high headed, but I know have the ability/potential to pull out through pretty much anything, but I just cant mentally figure out how to get that level of play when I need it most. Any tips?
Talk to yourself as you play. Even if it's under your breath. It forces you to realize if you're thinking or not based on what you verbalize. Sometimes you trick yourself into believing you're thinking when you're really not.

I actually play with my mouth open most of the time, and my tongue is making little movements as if I were going to speak, lol.

tarextherex

Smash Apprentice
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=309338

13 out of 43. Carlil got 25th

I could've did a bit better.... that loss vs that snake was last hit game 3. He never came to past tournies but still did work, he powershielded EVERYTHING but he wasn't that good besides that, so the only things I could do to punish were eggs, egg lay, grab on the ground. Since they do little damage, that let him a lot of time to do snake bs on me. Snake is gay. If I won that I woulda been vs GUARD, but it's not much of a problem to me, we both go mad even(last hit every game), and he's the best Fox in Canada. You guys might think it's a bad MU for Yoshi but honestly I really think it's even-ish, Fox dosen't shut us down in any way, you just need more experience in that MU to think the same. So yeah I could've done even better but I still placed above average, and it was a really fun tourney, the biggest Montreal ever got this year.

Also my other past tourney results are still missing, but I placed average(in bracket) in pretty much all of them. Don't feel like sending all of those links, but just namesearch Tarex or Tarextherex and you'll get all of them, except maybe Quebec's Revival, but I posted that one a couple pages earlier in this thread.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
You guys might think it's a bad MU for Yoshi but honestly I really think it's even-ish, Fox dosen't shut us down in any way, you just need more experience in that MU to think the same.
Finally, someone who agrees with me. I've been saying this since the first month of this game's existence.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I never once thought Fox is -2, if anything the only Fox main I've played is Megafox.
I'd see it as -1 at most, but that could just be cause I didn't know what to do against him so I just spammed Jab which actually worked against him.

Anyways, for updates... if anymore tournaments happen this coming saturday i'll update.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
luckily my brother has recently picked up fox and his metagame.

I would say -1, and even if you're good at the MU.

them lazers man.

in all MU's i spam alot of eggs, and in this fox MU personally I dont like egg roll that much :/ he smashes me out of it with that super freaking fast fox Usmash.
hey, is there a schedule for the MU chart, or are we just throuwing up a thread for who we wanna discuss randomly?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I use to have a schedule of 2 or 3 MU thread rediscussions on characters every 3 or 4 weeks. Since not much discussion was being typed out and I didn't really play most of the MU's that I made threads for, they died quickly.
As for the MU chart I say just wait till the 2nd one comes out then i'll start making the threads again, since that'll stir up some discussions since Yoshi's Matchups are most likely gonna be off.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
You shouldn't be using egg-roll at all against Fox... ever. As for tossing eggs, you shouldn't do that either unless Fox is recovering or in the air because that reflector is too fast. The lasers do rack up damage, but through fluid and precise movement, you can avoid a lot of it while closing in. By playing the MU enough, you won't get hit by up-smash unless you get comboed into it, because you learn the exact spacing of how close you can be that gives you the time you need to react to it. Honestly, Fox can rack up damage faster than Yoshi can, and he can kill earlier, but because he only has a couple reliable kill moves (back aerial and up-smash), you can live a long time if you know exactly what to look for. That's why the MU is more even if you've played it a bunch, but HEAVILY in Fox's favor if you haven't played it much (because you die by his kill moves cause you don't know where to be to avoid them).

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
And lets not forget his Dair spikes you out of DJ despite the heavy armor.

I forgot to say how I use egg toss.
Usually when he doesn't expect it tho, like when he breaks out of egg lay.

Man i love egglay.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Nah, eggroll works, I hit Trevonte multiple times with that move, you just gotta not do it stupidly.

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Unless you time it so that you hit 'em right as he lands to punish the landing lag, then it should never work. Fox is fast enough that he can shield it and running up-smash it. There are definitely exceptions (like going all the way off the stage into the water on Delfino or using platforms), but in general, there's usually a better option to use that does more damage and has more comboability (yes I just made up that word).

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Talk to yourself as you play. Even if it's under your breath. It forces you to realize if you're thinking or not based on what you verbalize. Sometimes you trick yourself into believing you're thinking when you're really not.

I actually play with my mouth open most of the time, and my tongue is making little movements as if I were going to speak, lol.
Hm, tried this and I saw some improvements. This actually is pretty good advice.

Depster

Smash Champion
Well, I play Zeton just about every weekend...

Fox is definitely either even or -1. You just have to go nuts on the reaction time. Also, don't even worry about lasers. They really don't do much. While fox is sitting there going nuts on lasers, you can egg to bait the reflector then fly in and do more than he did with lasers. Fox is mad easy to string moves together against for whatever reason, so when you start getting hits in keep going unless you're at high percents. Also, if fox is offstage, it's your cue to go nuts.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
^ that sounds like it could work, but I tend to keep an open mind and play by reaction usually.
But then again I'm not the best yoshi, so maybe I should try that.

:phone:
Talking to yourself doesn't close your mind off and halt reaction time, lol. It just ensures that you actually are thinking. I do a lot of reactionary stuff as well, but talking in situations where I would react helps me make reads better. For example:

Marth jumps at me, I go to pivot grab, he fairs me. I'll say something like "Fair."

Same situation happens again, I try to pivot grab again, I'll try to make a stronger note of it. "Fairs grab."

Situations happens AGAIN, I run in and Usmash him because I've verbalized his usual option to myself and thus I'm aware of it so I can make the read.

Naturally, you don't need to talk to yourself to do this. But it certainly helps you start thinking during matches. Even if it's a verbalized thought, it means you're thinking. Passive thinking is the one that tricks you into believing you're thinking when you're probably auto piloting.

Depster

Smash Champion
I kinda talk to Yoshi during the entirety of the game... lol

I've heard that a lot of Yoshis do that though =0

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I do kinda talk to yoshi.
Not as much as I yelled at nana when I mained ICs.

I tried talkin to myself when I played a few rounds last night.
It helped me do like "pressure him with eggs, and shield grab." and actually do it.
I like fighting wario.
That's a fun MU.

:phone:

YOSHssb

Smash Ace
NNID
aquilarion
Got another local tournament under my belt:

SNT 2:

$10 venue fee, $5 tourney fee

9/3/11

1st out of 9

http://challonge.com/snt2brawl

Kirby and I would have played in the winner's finals as well as grand finals, but he got off work late so they had to give him a loss to hurry the bracket along. No vidz this time, but it was good practice for Hobo next weekend. Wish more people played around me, but eh, I got $40 out of it and half a day of fun =b

Top Bottom