• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tournament Results: End of an Era, A New Beginning? *updated August 19th

D

Deleted member

I think part of the advantage of his playstyle is that its really easy for him to get grabs, and he punishes well out of upthrow. Using more might make it predictable.
Egg lay too gud.

Bwett

Smash Ace
I watched part of his match with a marth and olimar in tourney. I'm really not too impressed. He hits egglay so much because he constantly spams it. He really needs to learn matchups, else he would know that DJC egglay against a marth isnt a smart idea. He's a technical player, he knows what yoshi is capable of doing, but I really don't see smart, safe approaches. His opponent just isn't adapting to it.

When I look at tourney vids, I don't look at flashiness or how well he combos, I look at how he approaches, what he gets punished for, and how many times he gets punished. He got punished for DJC egglay, he did it again. If a marth played him that knew the moves that outranged egglay, he would get *****. As for the olimar, he played the matchup correctly by doing rushdown with bair, but the olimar didn't play the matchup correctly.

I don't mean to be cynical...but I don't want people to pull the wrong information from his style. Egglay is amazing and should be used, but not how he is doing it. It should be used as a mixup and punish tool for holding shield, not as an offensive spammable move. Leave that for usmash and jab.

D

Deleted member

Hmm fair enough.
I will say that the olimar he played ***** me pretty bad in a friendly we did.
XD
And i was gonna MM him and record it but i had to go =(
I see what you're saying though. I've never seen anyone use egg lay so offensively, especially against pretty good players, and be successful.

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to a tourney on Friday maining Yoshi for the first time. It'll be interesting to see how things turn out.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Hades, mindgame the f*ck out of him and pick Meta Knight!

He'll never see it comin'!

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Haha Bwett. Don't like to acknowledge a Yoshi better than yours haha. It's unfortunate that you can't fight other characters as well as Zudenka. ='(

Will be good when European Brawl Players come over to the USA and do an Armada.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Haha Bwett. Don't like to acknowledge a Yoshi better than yours haha. It's unfortunate that you can't fight other characters as well as Zudenka. ='(

Will be good when European Brawl Players come over to the USA and do an Armada.
Wha? Hades isn't better than Bwett. It's just his idea that clashed with Bwett's. I can tell Hades isn't better than Bwett, Hades plays very punishably. =/

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
I'm on about Bweets opinion on Zudenka from the page before not Hades. Bwett being arrogant about it.

Metatitan

Smash Master
I'm on about Bweets opinion on Zudenka from the page before not Hades. Bwett being arrogant about it.
Zudenka is all right. He'd be viewed differently if his opponents knew how to punish his punishable attacks. That said, he'd probly change up his style. Good yoshi, just nothing amazing.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
You guys take into account that European playstyles are entirely different to yours? I know certain individuals viewed Armadas Peach as rubbish and not as effective as other Peaches in the USA, and look what happened. BOOM 2nd place at the biggest Melee tournament of all time. A lot of the Europeans are pissed off at how some of the Americans view our playstyles and matches. Maybe I overeacted a lil bit, but others feel the same way too.

Also, a lot of us view Bwetts Yoshi as 'mediocre'. Hmmm....

Metatitan

Smash Master
You guys take into account that European playstyles are entirely different to yours? I know certain individuals viewed Armadas Peach as rubbish and not as effective as other Peaches in the USA, and look what happened. BOOM 2nd place at the biggest Melee tournament of all time. A lot of the Europeans are pissed off at how some of the Americans view our playstyles and matches. Maybe I overeacted a lil bit, but others feel the same way too.

True but remember that brawl isn't as versatile as melee, AND yoshi is a low tier character with very limited options. We didn't call him garbage, we just pointed out that the stuff he does repetitively can be very easily punished.

D

Deleted member

Hey guess what.
I went to spain and exchanged two stocks with marcbri, I dont know which won of us won more (even tho hes obviously better). Im not trying to hate, Europe is amazing, but seriously, shut up. Bwett has high standards for viewing yoshis, and he gave legitimate critiques.
Im not good, and yet I beat some ranked spanish players in tournament after not having played for a while. Not that this shows anything, just that i personally dont think any European brawlers are gonna pull an armada xD

European playstyles in BRAWL really arent that different from Americans. Zudenka is good, but bwett is right, Im sure if those players played with him often, he would not get away with that, many moves out range egg lay.

I think hes good personally, but seriously, at least respond to his comments instead of insulting bwett, who could beat most of the players in your country.

*wipes sweat*

Bwett

Smash Ace
There is no reason for a flame war between Yoshi mains and the people that support them. What I said was true. He was using egglay too much and was being punished for it, although not as much as I think he would've if the marth knew what to do.

I am extremely critical of Yoshi vids, that's just how I view vids. You can take that as being arrogant or jealous. I said I wasn't impressed because it's true, I wasn't. Sorry if you disagree. Either you counter my arguments or don't comment. Insults really do nothing. And I didn't know where Zudenka was from, neither do I care.

Y05H!

Smash Cadet

Grow the **** up. All's bwett did was point out his mistakes, in a respective matter might I add. He didn't charge in, insulting like your arrogant a** just did.

Blazin!

Smash Apprentice
Lol, ofc bwett didn't know where zudenka was from seeing the tourney channel was in french......hahaha.

just wait till ramin kaos marc come over there

auroreon

Smash Ace
Just got back from TSL, it seems there has been a bit of drama over Zudenka =/

Having watched almost all of Zudenkas matches first hand I think I can give an informed oppinion on how good he is.
Firstly what I will say is that I agree with Bwett in what he said about Zude doing stuff that is very punishable, he does. Just because it works does not mean it is the right thing to do.
But this brings me on to another point...
Over in the video thread I commented that Bwett was not playing well in the matches from genesis, I stand by this view for the very same reason that I agree with what Bwett has said about Zudenka.
In those videos Bwett does A LOT of things which are unsafe and very punishable, moreso than what Zudenka does.

What I mean by this is things like... dash grabbing, up and forward smashing, egg tossing egglaying ect. when it is unsafe to do so. Against the opponents they face it usually works and they get away with it, but risky moves like that will lose you a match against a very experienced player.

Now for the controversial part of my post that will probably mean I am going to be very unpopular on this board for a while...
I personally believe Zudenka to be the best Yoshi I have ever seen. Unfortunately I didn't get any matches against him (Dittos suck anyway), but from all the matches I saw of him, he played extremely well. He does do things that are unwise, but so does every other Yoshi I have seen including Bwett.

US players sorely underestimate europe, I will admit that we do have a very small number of very good players but we do have very good players.

Greward

Smash Lord
bwett is a defensive yoshi while zudenka is an agressive one. they have just different playstiles, i dont think they can be compared nowadays.
Zudenka did this stuff because nobody knew the matchup. And it worked, a lot of people didnt even know that the egg lay cancels the DJ lol.

Willz was trying to people dont underestimate europe like melee's peachs did (armada was 10th on the peach's power ranking...)

D

Deleted member

This was never a US vs Europe fight! It was Bwett saying he was doing punishable things, and then people coming in and saying he is arrogant/jealous, and then willz saying that it was related to him being European.

Hi greward =)

Bwett

Smash Ace
I'm really tired of people saying things like, "I'm gonna be shunned because I disagree with Bwett." Yall need to stfu and grow up. I'm not the almighty god of Yoshi, neither do I think I am. If people have a differing opinion, I want them to speak up and tell me, exactly like when auroreon told me that he thinks I played badly. However, I will not sit back if I think I'm right. We will discuss, and if someone convinces me, then I will admit that I was wrong. I want to improve my game just as much as everyone else. Why do yall think that I said I would steal his egglay followup? I tell someone that something is good, when it is good. However, if something is bad, I will also say that.

Furthermore, I could care less if a Yoshi is better than me, because I'm not a Yoshi main anymore. So get wrecked =P

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I'm really tired of people saying things like, "I'm gonna be shunned because I disagree with Bwett." Yall need to stfu and grow up. I'm not the almighty god of Yoshi, neither do I think I am. If people have a differing opinion, I want them to speak up and tell me, exactly like when auroreon told me that he thinks I played badly. However, I will not sit back if I think I'm right. We will discuss, and if someone convinces me, then I will admit that I was wrong. I want to improve my game just as much as everyone else. Why do yall think that I said I would steal his egglay followup? I tell someone that something is good, when it is good. However, if something is bad, I will also say that.

Furthermore, I could care less if a Yoshi is better than me, because I'm not a Yoshi main anymore. So get wrecked =P
GOOD ****

I already know your not the almighty god of yoshi

I mostly always disagree with you lol

D

Deleted member

Yea i think you suck anyways :p
Jk xD

Was that directed at me btw?

Also:
TO RANDOM EUROPEANS COMING IN HERE BEING STUPID (not greward hes too cool):
You are giving Europe a bad name, seriously.

Greward

Smash Lord
TO RANDOM EUROPEANS COMING IN HERE BEING STUPID (not greward hes too cool):
=P hi man! hope u come to spain next year lol
Bwett u cant left yoshi, because u can get yoshi go higher on the tier list :p
I think only willz came here to troll, auroreoren doesnt count since he plays yoshi. Anyways i dont think any european more will come.

D

Deleted member

No aurorean isnt trolling i meant willz and that guy blazed.

Maybe ill come to spain next year :D Come to some international tourny or something :p

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
All I did was get peoples opinions from the EU chat and make it into a post. I'm not trollin, EUROPE is trollin mutha****azzzz. lolz

D

Deleted member

Im pretty sure but i saw a recent vid of ur diddy in tournament and its terrible...

DONT LEAVE BWETT!
:p

Top Bottom