• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tournament Results: End of an Era, A New Beginning? *updated August 19th

D

Deleted member

LETS DO IT YOSHIS! NEVER GIVE IN!!!!

National tourny this weekend, im gonna show the world what yoshi pride is all about =D

Mk is gay, space random crap, the end. =D

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Offtopic: My friends are telling me that I can't go yoshi forever and that I'm gonna need a secondary, idk if I want to do it, but I want input on you guys before I make any decisions.
lol thats what everyone tells me too. Edrees tells me that playing an underrated character makes you work 4 times as hard :( and it does. I'm sure i could pick up metaknight or snake and do even better with them but in the long run yoshi is just too much fun and the credit you get for it is too good. although i do like bwett recommend picking up other characters to learn how they play ect. it helps a lot.
I've learned to play ness, Lucas, Marth, Dedede (fun as hell :p), falco, snake, metaknight, luigi, Zelda, shiek, G+W, and Ike. but I don't think I'd ever use those characters in a tournament (save Dedede if i REALLY have to but that situation hasn't ever really occurred.)
But playing yoshi is much too satisfying :p and after all it's very satisfying to hear people like DSF, Mike Haze, Steeler, Shadow ROB, edrees and others say i have the best yoshi they ever played :D

Bwett

Smash Ace
I need some help on the mk match up I played light at planks tourney and didn't do so great most likely cuz I have almost no experience in that match up (surprisingly as it sound) and he told me to try to grab a lot more but I need more help then that any advice Bwett???
First off, you have to force MK to approach you so eggs are essential. You need to be atleast 2 roll distances away so you have enough time to react to his advances if he runs under your eggs. You should always keep that distance when not physically attacking.

A good strategy is to alternate between empty bairs and ETS at that distance, and if MK dashes, then pivot grab. Pivot grabs will keep him at bay on the ground. Don't worry about just throwing out 3 pivot grabs as a spacing tool. It forces him to approach you from the air.

Once he is in the air, try to punish him using usmash, uair, and eggs. Preferably throw 1 egg to force the dodge and then do a hyphen smash.

A big part of playing against MK is knowing what moves beat his. The safest bet to assume is that usmash and grab beat everything of his. There are a few things that are strange. Usmash can clink with glide attack at times. You might get sucked in tornado while usmashing. One thing that I cannot stress enough is the use of your fsmash at key moments, ESPECIALLY when he is gliding. When timed properly, fsmash will always outspace and win against both glide attacks and will wreck them hard. The funny thing is that they are so used to the fact that their glide attack clinks or beats everyone that they will try it multiple times and you can get easy kills that way.

Bair to utilt is good but don't get too predictable. Mix in egglays so they don't try to shieldgrab you. When you are above MK, it is less risky to do a dair. It is strange in the fact that it can either clink, beat, or lose against shuttle loop, but its better than dodging in some cases. If you do hit dair on him, fast fall with it and follow with a falling uair and then a rising uair.

If you do get a grab, because dallas tends to get out of my grabs, I tend to follow immediately with usmash. If they are at low percentage, you can follow with jabs and a possible second grab but they do have time to dodge. If they do dodge, just run past the dodge and pivot grab them. If they are at higher percentage, follow their DI and count the jumps. The second before they land, go for the regrab. They will be caught because the airdodge animation will be canceled by the landing animation.

If the MK tends to be dash grab happy, then use pivot fsmash to punish like I did to those MK's. It works wonders. It is situational though. DO NOT under any circumstance follow MK off the stage. It is a high risk, low reward situation and can result in you being gimped. Just egg them and prepare to punish a glide attack with fsmash. Don't be afraid to spotdodge an attack followed by downb. Because of MK's light weight, they get wrecked by this move.

I can't really think of much more at the moment, but if you or anyone have any questions, just hit me up.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Here it is again, lilb:

A Winter Brawl (@ Gigabits Lan Center)
Orlando, Florida
http://www.mwarhead.com/Tournaments/... Singles.htm
17th out of 63
12/27/2008

I may not attend another tournament for a while. I'm going to be visiting Japan in February 5th, so I need to prepare for it and stuff. I may get back into the tourney scene at late-February or early-March.
Nice, I was there but got matched up with ChuDat's cousin first and second had a Wii where neither me or my opponent could C-stick a Dsmash (for some dumb reason) no johns though :chuckle:. I also get massive tournament anxiety, any recommendations on how not to get that? :p

SOVAman

Smash Hero
First off, you have to force MK to approach you so eggs are essential. You need to be atleast 2 roll distances away so you have enough time to react to his advances if he runs under your eggs. You should always keep that distance when not physically attacking.

A good strategy is to alternate between empty bairs and ETS at that distance, and if MK dashes, then pivot grab. Pivot grabs will keep him at bay on the ground. Don't worry about just throwing out 3 pivot grabs as a spacing tool. It forces him to approach you from the air.

Once he is in the air, try to punish him using usmash, uair, and eggs. Preferably throw 1 egg to force the dodge and then do a hyphen smash.

A big part of playing against MK is knowing what moves beat his. The safest bet to assume is that usmash and grab beat everything of his. There are a few things that are strange. Usmash can clink with glide attack at times. You might get sucked in tornado while usmashing. One thing that I cannot stress enough is the use of your fsmash at key moments, ESPECIALLY when he is gliding. When timed properly, fsmash will always outspace and win against both glide attacks and will wreck them hard. The funny thing is that they are so used to the fact that their glide attack clinks or beats everyone that they will try it multiple times and you can get easy kills that way.

Bair to utilt is good but don't get too predictable. Mix in egglays so they don't try to shieldgrab you. When you are above MK, it is less risky to do a dair. It is strange in the fact that it can either clink, beat, or lose against shuttle loop, but its better than dodging in some cases. If you do hit dair on him, fast fall with it and follow with a falling uair and then a rising uair.

If you do get a grab, because dallas tends to get out of my grabs, I tend to follow immediately with usmash. If they are at low percentage, you can follow with jabs and a possible second grab but they do have time to dodge. If they do dodge, just run past the dodge and pivot grab them. If they are at higher percentage, follow their DI and count the jumps. The second before they land, go for the regrab. They will be caught because the airdodge animation will be canceled by the landing animation.

If the MK tends to be dash grab happy, then use pivot fsmash to punish like I did to those MK's. It works wonders. It is situational though. DO NOT under any circumstance follow MK off the stage. It is a high risk, low reward situation and can result in you being gimped. Just egg them and prepare to punish a glide attack with fsmash. Don't be afraid to spotdodge an attack followed by downb. Because of MK's light weight, they get wrecked by this move.

I can't really think of much more at the moment, but if you or anyone have any questions, just hit me up.
Wow thx a lot bwett that's exactly what I was looking for this will definitely help me from getting punished from doing some moves.

The Fsmash tip helped the most I am always to scared to find out if the fsmash beats a glide attack and I usually try to just pivot grab.

I knew about the Dair to Uair to rising Uair but... I did not know if it would work on mk.

Light told me you would be the perfect person to ask so he was right thanks again

:yoshi: Eats LOTS of gassy foods before you go to a tournament.
Soooooo true it works like a charm CBR is too good.

Also if someone needs help on the Falco matchup let me know I will be glad to help

Airborne

Smash Lord
**** yeah Street fight 4 is da **** son can't wait blanka too goodz[/QUOTE]

yeah i've always been a ryu/ken person... but i think i'm gonna try to play sakura, since i have no prior experience with competitive SF... =\

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's all about Karen, dude.

She's not gonna be in SF4, though, is she? Sadness. :_:

D

Deleted member

Well i ****ed up my big tourny. 247 entrants.

So i got a really lame pool. Some people got pools with all noobs, and its supposed to be 1 or 2 good people per pool, but mine had: Me, Vicegrip(best ness in socal), Mogx(best kirby on west coast), QTP(one of the best diddies, ranked in norcal), and some random pretty good but spammy meta knight.

Secondly, I thought pools were decided by games not sets. So i had gone either 1-2 or 2-1 with people (i beat mogx which was cool cuz last time we played he 3 stocked me), and if it was decided by how many games you won, i would have made it out.

Thirdly, i was careless vs the meta. Very. I was tired, my pool was 22nd, and i had been waiting for 5 hours for my pool.

Didnt even make it out of 1st pools, pathetic i know, but regardless, ima win dubs today =D

Bwett

Smash Ace
PBT (1/18/09)
9th out of 46
Dallas, TX

I think the out of part is correct. I'll get the link when they post it. Btw, I don'tthink top 10 should be used. Why don't you just do top 25% or something like that?

bigman40

Smash Master
Well i ****ed up my big tourny. 247 entrants.

So i got a really lame pool. Some people got pools with all noobs, and its supposed to be 1 or 2 good people per pool, but mine had: Me, Vicegrip(best ness in socal), Mogx(best kirby on west coast), QTP(one of the best diddies, ranked in norcal), and some random pretty good but spammy meta knight.

Secondly, I thought pools were decided by games not sets. So i had gone either 1-2 or 2-1 with people (i beat mogx which was cool cuz last time we played he 3 stocked me), and if it was decided by how many games you won, i would have made it out.

Thirdly, i was careless vs the meta. Very. I was tired, my pool was 22nd, and i had been waiting for 5 hours for my pool.

Didnt even make it out of 1st pools, pathetic i know, but regardless, ima win dubs today =D

No johns. That's why you don't sandbag when the tournament started mangz. It sucks that your pool was pretty much ****ed, and it sucks even more when you had to wait that long.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
PBT (1/18/09)
9th out of 46
Dallas, TX

I think the out of part is correct. I'll get the link when they post it. Btw, I don'tthink top 10 should be used. Why don't you just do top 25% or something like that?
I will post these results after the NFC championship game but I don't know about the PRing I think I might get rid of it cuz if someone cared to see who places the best they can just look at the results that's why I made the thread. I really don't have enough free time to take care of the PRings due to school tournaments and friends and so on if some one would like to take over I will email you the word document of the data I have so far I honestly can't keep up with it

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
PBT (1/18/09)
9th out of 46
Dallas, TX

u made a nice comback after that wolf match
i'll have to play friendlies w/ u at the next one...so i didn't do that great but seein as it was like my first big offline tourney i'm not too disappointed...i got beat by kirby kid's pit and Khaoz's Ice climbers ahh o well it was a learning experience

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
Hey guys how do tourney Bowsers play? ive got a bowser main in my next tournament and ihave no idea how to play them. ive tried looking at threads and in youtube but those are pretty shallow in information, (well youtube more so) i could only find one video of sir orion fighting a bowser so im stumped.

anybody have any pointers or something? if not ill just use my general stratagy i guess, but i like to be prepared you know?

Bwett

Smash Ace
u made a nice comback after that wolf match
i'll have to play friendlies w/ u at the next one...so i didn't do that great but seein as it was like my first big offline tourney i'm not too disappointed...i got beat by kirby kid's pit and Khaoz's Ice climbers ahh o well it was a learning experience
Yeah, dude. Sorry we didn't get to talk much. I was really upset that I had to face a wolf so early, let alone one that is really good. What's really gay is that he knocked me out of winner's bracket, loser's bracket, winner's bracket for teams, crew battle, and a $1 tourney in loser's bracket. How messed up is that crap?!

Either way, we will do some friendlies next time. I don't know your skill level, but I can tell you everything you want or need to know. Don't be shy to ask :)

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I approach the matchup similarly to King Dedede, but jumping is a little more tricky because of his slaps.

Attacking the shield is a bit tougher as well due to Fortress.

Basically play the same way you might against King Dedede, but spend more time behind and below Bowser instead of tapping on his shield and jumping in his face.

And yes, eggs work as well.

Airborne

Smash Lord
:yoshi: I approach the matchup similarly to King Dedede, but jumping is a little more tricky because of his slaps.

Attacking the shield is a bit tougher as well due to Fortress.

Basically play the same way you might against King Dedede, but spend more time behind and below Bowser instead of tapping on his shield and jumping in his face.

And yes, eggs work as well.
beware of the spontaneous down b when you're at higher %'s and below him.... i lost to one before b/c my egg toos straight up barely missed him and he barely hit me.... >.<

Top Bottom