• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Tournament Results: End of an Era, A New Beginning? *updated August 19th

Chaco

Never Logs In
please don't jinx it... i screw up a lot in matches... like, sometimes i yoshi bomb in the wrong direction or egg roll off..... it's not pretty... but i sometimes come back.... and lose when the other person is at 1 stock with 150% b/c i suck with kill moves. XD
*cough* I noticed that when using egg roll you tend to go to far to the edge, sharply slam it in the opposite directing to save those edge hangers. It'll shift your momentum when you break the egg so you won't continue off.

Airborne

Smash Lord
*cough* I noticed that when using egg roll you tend to go to far to the edge, sharply slam it in the opposite directing to save those edge hangers. It'll shift your momentum when you break the egg so you won't continue off.
yeah that actually happened twice in one tourny match before against another yoshi... XD i still won.... barely XD

Airborne

Smash Lord
By second you mean that there are only two?
ehh the only other one i've met.... i only believe that there are like 5 or 6 good people in ky... Overswarm, CCSpec, Tactile(i think... he's some lucario player...), another pika, and this kirby player named ron (i'm not sure if it's THE ron, but he can beast the **** out of people)...
see? not many people in ky that smash well..

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm near Kentucky at times, like at Kentucky Lake in Paris, TN, and LBL

Chaco

Never Logs In
trueski... tennessee IS kinda next to kentucky XD... lolz but yeah, maybe we could get together for some friendlies sometime or to go to a big tourny sometime down the road...
Once again, I'm only 15. Lmao.

I'll be sticking to local Chatt probably. If they ever have a major tourney. I'mma have to talk to Infi.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
nopers, only beat Dark Peach.. Lost to Blackwaltz olimar, and Azen's peach... =/ o well. Had a REALLY great time this weekend.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
nopers, only beat Dark Peach.. Lost to Blackwaltz olimar, and Azen's peach... =/ o well. Had a REALLY great time this weekend.
u were great man saw ur Azen match on the live feed, u beat his Pit quite nicely at least heh

and Blackwaltz subbed for a partner that left me in an online doubles tourney on AiB so i know how amazing he is lol

PRiDE

Smash Lord
u were great man saw ur Azen match on the live feed, u beat his Pit quite nicely at least heh

and Blackwaltz subbed for a partner that left me in an online doubles tourney on AiB so i know how amazing he is lol
Lol thanks. . I beat waltz the day before to get into the pro bracket... our matches were sooo close the second time.. he is too good.

I bet people in the chat were trashing me cause I charged smashes way tooo much =/

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
actually the notable thing i saw was like at the start alot of ppl were like "YOSHI? haha he stands no chance"...but they quickly changed their tune, nice representing =)

bigman40

Smash Master
Pride, did your matches get recorded? I didn't get the chance to see them, but I saw the rest. Good stuff.

Offtopic: My friends are telling me that I can't go yoshi forever and that I'm gonna need a secondary, idk if I want to do it, but I want input on you guys before I make any decisions.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Pride, did your matches get recorded? I didn't get the chance to see them, but I saw the rest. Good stuff.

Offtopic: My friends are telling me that I can't go yoshi forever and that I'm gonna need a secondary, idk if I want to do it, but I want input on you guys before I make any decisions.
In order to improve your game, you need to learn different characters. I can't tell you specifically why it works, but playing other characters will improve your game. I'm not saying you have to use the other character in tourney, but get good with another in friendlies. It will help you out.

As for tourney use, it really depends what you seek within brawl. If you are playing to win, Yoshi isn't going to get you as far as you want. He has extreme limitations that would make it **** hard to get far with, but its possible to do.

If you are looking to become better with the character you love, then screw the secondary in tourney and fight for what you want. I picked up Snake as a secondary for tourney, only to find out that it improved my Yoshi game and made me want to play Yoshi even more. I want to win, but I want to do it with my character.

It will cause blood, sweat and tears, but it all depends whether its worth it for you. It is for me. At the end of the day, I don't look at the places I get in tourneys. I look at the respect and admiration that people show me. I take pride in knowing that I'm a Yoshi main, that not many people can do this, and I **** people with low tier and don't have to be gay to do it.

That's what keeps me going in my darkest hour. So what drives you is the question.

bigman40

Smash Master
Thx for the information. I'll definitely look at playing the other characters that I haven't played yet (that's gonna be a while since I don't like them in the first place lol), but I do remember that playing other characters helps your main.

Chaco

Never Logs In
It really does, my Yoshi was at it's best after playing Fox. Now it sucks again. so I'm playing 3D and Zamus.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Son, listen here I can't win in my region cuz everybody has either a high tier main or a high tier secondary to fall back to

but...

I have Perfected the D3 and Falco match up so I don't lose there and that alone gets me pretty **** far up the bracket

I am a yoshi main and won't give up my main and I only use yoshi I have tried other characters and didn't feel like a true yoshi main at the end of the day and I just keep getting better with yoshi and placing better so I just have a mind set that I can only get better with Yoshi and keep fighting.

Also I get a **** load of respect from my region by just doing good with yoshi and beating some of the top players in MM and tourney matches and that also makes me not want to pick up another character

but here is my advice to you bigman if you want to earn respect by placing very high or winning then pick another character up it will help you on your harder match ups and you will always have yoshi to fall back to or vise virsa so lets say you have trouble against i don't know mk for say then you can pick up maybe ZSS or someone along those lines but when you are looking for that character to secondary make sure to look at your worst match ups and then choose because if you pick up someone like Olimar that wouldn't help me much because I do good against D3's and Snake's already so just look at your bad match ups and go from there.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Thx for the information. I'll definitely look at playing the other characters that I haven't played yet (that's gonna be a while since I don't like them in the first place lol), but I do remember that playing other characters helps your main.
well, my plan all together is to use yoshi only for tournaments and use other people any other time... i'm not good at interpreting people's playstyles by their charactes, so i just try my best to adapt in the middle of the match, which always puts me in a very tough position.... but, you, scatz, i believe could flip some heads if you learned other characters inside and out... on AiB, Zolga made a new-years resolution group, where you learn to play as your most-hated or worst character.... im using ROB for it, since i've been annoyed so many times by ROBs in kentucky.... and Overswarm IS the best in kentucky, so it works for me. i say learn to play as your hardest match-ups so you can **** their play-style and take yoshi to a whole new level. =)

edit: long, almost off-topic anecdote, but i'm trying to present my personal experiences to help give you one way of looking at it... i'm not preaching though! do what you choose.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Reading these posts is really inspiring me to stick with my favorite character in Brawl. Thank you, guys.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Here it is again, lilb:

A Winter Brawl (@ Gigabits Lan Center)
Orlando, Florida
http://www.mwarhead.com/Tournaments/... Singles.htm
17th out of 63
12/27/2008

I may not attend another tournament for a while. I'm going to be visiting Japan in February 5th, so I need to prepare for it and stuff. I may get back into the tourney scene at late-February or early-March.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Great job at the Tournament(s) Poltergust and everyone else!

You all make me proud to main Yoshi! :yoshi:

bigman40

Smash Master
Appreciate the posts that answered my question. I'm gonna learn the characters (practically everyone), and get a feel to what they all can help through my Yoshi game (Snake with tilts, D3 with grabbing, Marth with spacing, etc.). I'm currently not gonna be able to get any matches up since I can't record on my laptop (operating system got fried), but when I'm able to, I'll show you guys the improvements I'll get, and I won't pick up a secondary for Yoshi. If I'm gonna play and get the money, I want Yoshi to do it all. My next level isn't gonna be with DR just yet (gonna have to put it off), it'll be with Yoshi's gaming all-around.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Here it is again, lilb:

A Winter Brawl (@ Gigabits Lan Center)
Orlando, Florida
http://www.mwarhead.com/Tournaments/... Singles.htm
17th out of 63
12/27/2008

I may not attend another tournament for a while. I'm going to be visiting Japan in February 5th, so I need to prepare for it and stuff. I may get back into the tourney scene at late-February or early-March.

Have fun in japan I will post this result

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yoshi isn't similar to any other character in the game.

Well, at least in my opinion he isn't.

I've tried playing other people. It just didn't... connect, unlike in Melee.

While focusing on other characters may improve your game in some aspect, it may also hinder your current game with Yoshi...

But it could improve it. Depends on how long you focus on other characters, and how used to Yoshi you are.

Just my thoughts.

PRiDE

Smash Lord

I don't think they were recorded, just streamed.

Bigman, umm, just about every smasher in NJ has told me the same exact thing..... Bwett response to your post is the exact reason why I still play Yoshi. Without Yoshi, im not longer PRiDE, the crazy Yoshi player that constantly is upsetting and distorting bracket match ups due to crazy wins.. lolol. If I switch now, I just become another MK, or another Snake.. I would miss the fame and admiration way too much... Yoshi is extremely limited. But I am not. I will just learn to play harder and smarter than the other opponent... if not.. Yoshi johns.. lolol

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Exactly what I was thinking Pride I would not be lil b kicking good players in to the losers bracket first and second round with yoshi.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I don't think they were recorded, just streamed.

Bigman, umm, just about every smasher in NJ has told me the same exact thing..... Bwett response to your post is the exact reason why I still play Yoshi. Without Yoshi, im not longer PRiDE, the crazy Yoshi player that constantly is upsetting and distorting bracket match ups due to crazy wins.. lolol. If I switch now, I just become another MK, or another Snake.. I would miss the fame and admiration way too much... Yoshi is extremely limited. But I am not. I will just learn to play harder and smarter than the other opponent... if not.. Yoshi johns.. lolol
Exactly!!! Yoshi is limited! But you can only take him as far as the player can go!

PRiDE, drag Les off of his *** next time you go to a tourney near you and take him. He needs to get hiss *** out there and rep.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
And I wouldn't be the MK-er Slayer...(not really a nick name, but how cool would it be if it was lol)
I need some help on the mk match up I played light at planks tourney and didn't do so great most likely cuz I have almost no experience in that match up (surprisingly as it sound) and he told me to try to grab a lot more but I need more help then that any advice Bwett???

Chaco

Never Logs In
I need some help on the mk match up I played light at planks tourney and didn't do so great most likely cuz I have almost no experience in that match up (surprisingly as it sound) and he told me to try to grab a lot more but I need more help then that any advice Bwett???
Egg spam like hell, pivot grab like crazy, and taunt to piss them off.

Top Bottom