• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
Hello friends, long time no see. Stopping by to drop of a video (more in the near future). This one is vs. Sheik (Darkmusician).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN4sgZ5nwMU&list=UUs8sO8ynU8DOZ8poHi_gKiQ

Still working on some ideas and breaking old Brawl habbits (bair). I'm not sure why I was so trigger happy with the Yoshi Bombs. Things I need work on is better spacing for the short hop egg tosses, fairs, and my OOS options. Dont own a WiiU so I cant play any of you online or do lab work.

Also noted that I got killed a lot by usmash while trying to recover. Option that I wasnt thinking of at the time that may have helped is yoshi bombing to get the quick ledge grab.

Dren, will GSM be recording videos anytime?

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
@ Fingerp@ss Fingerp@ss I noticed you don't like to use dair much. In my experience, that can create a safe landing and sneak past an opponent's shield sometimes. At the very least, it'll put pressure on your opponent not to stand directly under you as you fall.

Also, dair -> jab combo comes out really fast - most of the cast can't get an attack between the two attacks, though there are exceptions (Sheik might be one, actually...) That can also provide a safe landing.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I think recovering to the ledge rather than the stage would've prevented you from getting Fair/Bair to the face. You got really good punishes with Yoshi bomb, but later on DM started capitalizing on them. I think adding OoS Nair to punish and B reversing for punish/recovery would help keep Sheik in check.

And yep, recently we actually recorded a mini crew battle amongst ourselves, however K0rean is working on setting up a stream and recording commentary on it, dunno when that will be available. Are you going to the tourney this Sunday?

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Hello friends, long time no see. Stopping by to drop of a video (more in the near future). This one is vs. Sheik (Darkmusician).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN4sgZ5nwMU&list=UUs8sO8ynU8DOZ8poHi_gKiQ

Still working on some ideas and breaking old Brawl habbits (bair). I'm not sure why I was so trigger happy with the Yoshi Bombs. Things I need work on is better spacing for the short hop egg tosses, fairs, and my OOS options. Dont own a WiiU so I cant play any of you online or do lab work.

Also noted that I got killed a lot by usmash while trying to recover. Option that I wasnt thinking of at the time that may have helped is yoshi bombing to get the quick ledge grab.

Dren, will GSM be recording videos anytime?
I really liked your yoshi but here is some pointers I noticed: You almost never air dodge going back on stage (while high in the air), you might want to sometimes and try to recover at the ledge sometimes as well. Last stock of the first match was sad to watch. You did 3 times the same thing and he hit you 3 times with the same move... air dodging would have gotten you through every time. Some of the upsmash kills could also have been avoided doing that. I've seen you doing it multiple times (getting hit at least twice trying to recover the same way).

Learn to angle eggs a bit better. Around 1/3 of the egg you threw were over your head and clearly not aimed to go there. Maybe a small pratice in training mode to do SH eggs would help you. I don't think the spacing was that big of an issue, Sheik is crazy fast and it will always be hard to space properly.

A small tip for you as well for approach, try to mix sh command grab instead of Fair to punish shielding.

Btw this is all for your improvements, I think you are one of the best Yoshi's i've seen over there. Probably better than me :p
The chain at 11:45 is incredible, I loved that you dash grabbed instead of dash attack.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the good advice so far. I read through them and will keep them in mind next time I play the game. I think my recovery options and OOS options will be getting the most work for now.

@ GSM_Dren GSM_Dren I will be at Sunday's tournament but I'll be helping out running and setting up. You will need to be the one who reps Yoshi. There should be a couple other Yoshi players as well. Hopefully we get a large turn out.

Also, that kill at 3:00, I've always dreamed about that combo in Brawl, now its come true lol.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Oh yeah, that egg -> fair off stage was killer! I had to go back and watch that a few times.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I don't really main Yoshi in this game (but I do main him in Melee) and I don't think I will ever use him in tournaments, but I figured I'd still use him as a pocket character and look for advice on how to improve my game anyway:

vs. :4marth:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFE-QB1tq2M&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=6
vs. :132:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My1Z3IdJbws&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=5
vs. :4megaman:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JI6Mgfx4IE&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=4

Thanks in advance.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Ironic
I just finished watching that set.

Lol, at the commentators reaction to the meteor smash. As a Yoshi main, I was almost expecting it. Nice use of Nair, but I find I often get shield grabbed when I approach with Nair. I guess I need to be less predictable when I use it. Not that he was being unpredictable. At one point he repeatedly shorthopped Nair from one end of the stage to the other.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Late but good on ya fer at least trying the banned stages in a Test tournament. Mushroom Kingdom U definitely not gonna be seeing any play cause of nabbit and the icicles, worst part of it all being we didn't even get to the water pillars that can both save people and **** them up if there's a spikeball (unira?) there.

As for windy hill zone, too big, springs can randomly pop up (well maybe not randomly of course) and kill you since the stage doesn't give a great view of below at 2:19 and 3:18 if the spring was there he maybe would've got hit by the bottom spring, of course because he's ROB he'll make it back maybe but not so much other characters. Yoshi was killed by the spring tho and saying he got destroyed last match (game 2) by the rob is pretty wrong since, well lol, the stage mostly ****ed him with just the run/camp tactic and losing a stock to the spring.
Last one being if you're a projectile character (like rob Yoshi etc.) you can just camp the left side under two safe platforms and force your opponent to approach.

The story of that match was rob basically trying to stay over there as long as he could, of course if he was hit away he wouldn't go there immediately but for an example 1:53 he just gets a few hits by leaving his comfort zone then runs back to it, similar for around 1:31 waiting for Yoshi to get out of that zone after he hit him with a couple moves and lure him to the right side so he could roll back to the left side and continue tacking on damage with projectiles.

Won't comment on the other videos of course cause they're not Yoshi and no need too, that's for another thread whenever drone makes them, but just mostly pointing out and discussing the stages more instead of the actual match cause it's Online and banned stages where things like stage hazards ****ing people up will most likely be happening.

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
So did anyone see my set vs M2k on the live stream at North west Regionals in semi finals? game 2 and 3 were so damn close.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
its on 62bits stream, not sure how much hes posted to youtube besides grand finals,but ill see if i can find it. ive watched it on the replay and it was hype.

EDIT: Here is the stream video, its in the early part. there is a set where i beat Blade wise and its not too much longer after that, i believe its after seibrik and Captain L's set. http://www.twitch.tv/62bitgaming/b/601508285

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Can i get some critique please?

Dec'14 Singles - True Blue (Sonic) VS Courage Hou…: http://youtu.be/9TfBhl0waEU
Well, something im seeing a lot of, is you know how to space your egg lay pretty well, but every time you do you seem to do nothing after wards or just try to get another egg lay. past about 25% you can get a free up-smash which is the most efficient way to put in some damage, and at higher percents upsmash and place an egg where they might come out so you can combo into an arial with the egg hit. Use a lot more eggs, but while in the air. So many times i see you just sitting and waiting to respond. Something i do quite a lot is covering an area with an egg and forcing my opponent into options that benefit me. If their in the air, and you have good aim an knowledge, you can really limit their options. heres an example: They are coming at you from the air and you egg throw, they either have to 1) double jump to dodge it, and if they do, throw another egg at their new location seeing as eggs have very low lag and usually on most cept maybe a few fast fallers can lead into option 2) forcing them to air dodge the next one or using up-b, which in either scenario gives you your punish options in a clean easy fashion. If they are in kill percent (keep in mind your rage too) kill with upsmash: its disjoint, speed and power, plus the area it covers makes it a very solid killing option. 2 if you were short hop, double egging like you should with the freedom of movement the new eggs give yoshi, if either an egg connects or he air dodges, you can use your extreme mobility to land a free up air/nair/ or even do a raising d-air. For me i love all yoshis arial attack moves, and f-air is a great one if you know your opponent is not the greatest at teching or you think they might not expect it.

Yoshi has so many options in every situation, so standing and waiting to react to someone rather than being proactive can only hurt you.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Yes, thanks, thank. I usually do most of the options you mentioned above. One way or another i get set on one gameplan until my opponent forces me to change it up.

I'm one of the biggest advocates of dair-ing someone out of egg lay or egg trow frame traps. Though at times I forget. Me not putting enough of pressure on my own is something i've been told a lot. Working on it.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, pressure is a huge deal for yoshi. His nair auto cancels at all frames, and all his other arials auto cancel, some being a little more difficult than others, so keeping constant pressure is a huge deal. Also, his jab and nair's hit box come out on frame 3, abuse the **** out of them as they are both extremely safe.

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
Yes, i know all that. But I waaaas fighting sonic, and it's not always the easiest thing to use certain tools/options against that character lol

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Robotnik, there's just 1 thing I didn't like by your Yoshi:
Imo you shouldn't try to kill with aerial DownB as it's just too laggy at the end and you can get punished hard.
I do only use DownB to punish someone attacking my shield (if necessary reversed).

Also try to play a little less aggressive and wait for openings. There's been pretty much only 1 situation you got hit, which was after you tried to attack Rosalina while being idle and ready to shield.
If you want to keep up the aggressive playstyle, try mixing it up with Egglays as it punishes the shielding issue.

Otherwise a great Yoshi, reminds me a lot of mine (I do also need to play less aggressive).

edit: maaan, I was hoping for Firefly to win...
Such a nice Yoshi.

Last edited:

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
Merry Xmas everyone. Stopping by to drop off another vid vs. Rosalina. This was recorded on the same day of the Shiek vid posted earlier so a lot of the same habits can be seen. Since then I've been thinking about different concepts of play style and hopefully you'll see some of that in future videos.

Any case I really enjoy this match up for some reason (maybe its because you get to beat up the star). To me this match seemed kinda slow, could just be how we play against each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xsHQC-61U

(GSM_Dren's first round match of the most recent local tournament is up on the channel, I'll leave it up to him to post the direct link. There should be one or two more matches of his Yoshi posted in the near future)

Laters

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Yes, i know all that. But I waaaas fighting sonic, and it's not always the easiest thing to use certain tools/options against that character lol
pivit grab is a nice tool against sonic.
Robotnik, there's just 1 thing I didn't like by your Yoshi:
Imo you shouldn't try to kill with aerial DownB as it's just too laggy at the end and you can get punished hard.
I do only use DownB to punish someone attacking my shield (if necessary reversed).

Also try to play a little less aggressive and wait for openings. There's been pretty much only 1 situation you got hit, which was after you tried to attack Rosalina while being idle and ready to shield.
If you want to keep up the aggressive playstyle, try mixing it up with Egglays as it punishes the shielding issue.

Otherwise a great Yoshi, reminds me a lot of mine (I do also need to play less aggressive).

edit: maaan, I was hoping for Firefly to win...
Such a nice Yoshi.
arial down-b i use to try and catch people right before they hit the ground, a lot of people will try to air dodge it and being so low to the ground they end up air dodging and catching lag which lands the hit. also, without the noise yoshi makes from other games and start up time being faster, it is a bit safer than it appears.

If you are referring to my match with bladewise, im aware that rosalinas grabs dont kill til hella late, so approaching with a falling egg to arial is a very good way to kill luma, as i have tried landing egg lay on him and luma just knocks you away. Yoshi is good at trading and thats what i did deliborately to give myself the kill opening/damage and positioning against rosalina.

Btw, i watched firefly's match against M2k as i was right behind them trying to help viviff run the bracket, he got bopped hard.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
While we're talking about aerial down+b, I might as well share this punish I landed against an overly aggressive Bowser Jr.

This is part of a longer set against this guy, and we were very evenly matched. I barely beat him in a Bo5, but my Yoshi vs. Bowser Jr. wasn't what I wanted it to be. Skip to 11:25 to see it - any tips are appreciated, but keep in mind there was about 1/4 second input lag during these matches, so my teching is off. That said, I'm very interested in any mistakes I'm consistently making that I may not be noticing.

Other notable Yoshi matches start at 0:00 and 7:28, both vs. Pikachu. This guy was hard to lock down, but I found I could fake out his down+b with egg toss floating, and he always fell for dacus. I don't doubt I made mistakes in these two, though these went better than the BJ fight.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
From the one tournament set I have against Sonic, I can say that jab is very good at stuffing his approaches. It clanks with the spins, and beats out most his other stuff.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Merry Xmas everyone. Stopping by to drop off another vid vs. Rosalina.

Any case I really enjoy this match up for some reason (maybe its because you get to beat up the star). To me this match seemed kinda slow, could just be how we play against each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xsHQC-61U
Heh, I almost forgot about posting the tournament vids until now. I enjoy fighting against Rosalina. I feel like the matchup is pretty even (not to sure yet who has advantage). Luma can do a lot to stuff Yoshi's approaches and in close combat. But Yoshi can rack up damage and knock off/kill Luma easily (lol DA, jab etc.). Egg lay is so good (esp when you used it at 0:54). Without Luma, Rosalina becomes food, but still needs to be respected due to her absurd Nair hitbox out time. Great games vs DM.

Here's two recent vids from a tourney the past week (took 7th out of 46). Both are against my crewmates. I wish my other matches were recorded, against Kirby (Custom 2 Upper Cutter is crazy good at stuffing approaches and getting kills) and against Dedede (Gordos no fun).

Vs. Kennypu :4ness:
We played each other constantly on 3ds when it came out so we already got a feel for each other's playstyle. Ness's Fair strings beat out yoshi and have to be respected. PKT is also a great tool to annoy, and poke for an opening like on my first stock. Yoshi definitely has more of an advantage in this matchup, PK fire can be escaped with DJ and the eggs are brutal as well.

Vs. LethalTrilogy :4sonic:
LT widely known as one of the best (if not best) player in Brawl in our tiny state of Hawaii. In both Brawl and Sm4sh, he is able to play a variety of characters and do well with them, not really sticking with a main. In this set he played as Sonic and boy does this matchup suck for Yoshi. Pivot grab was our answer to him in Brawl, but with it being nerfed, it limits Yoshi's defense. Eggs also are not as useful because of his quickness and ability to avoid and punish.

I got murdered @3:20 just when I was getting pretty confident T_T;; Also I was shield grabbed plenty of times and punished badly for it. Sonic is definitely a top contender to be in the high tiers. I gotta get more matchup practice.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
2 stock is standard, even Apex will be running 2 stock. I use Down b to try and trap them on the ground, even if they dodge just at the last possible second from the air the stars will still connect accomplishing 2 things: Safe recover and stage control. Another instance i try to use it is to parry and than down-b.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
Hey Everyone, here is a set vs. :4zss: (Darkmusician) in glorious 720p/60fps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ1o-FnMGdU

I'm trying something different this time around and shying away from short hop egg tossing. It seems that egg tossing this way is really punishable especially after avoiding the first egg. Incorporating more jabbing since Yoshi has arguably one of the best jabs int he game. There are a few cool things that happen in this set.

@ 4:08 is the dair stagger which I decided to go into a Yoshi bomb. It seems like there is time for the opponent to do something (ZSS and her 1 frame jab) so its not guaranteed. But I've been thinking of ways to setup Yoshi bombs from dairs, jabs, and fairs which could help us secure kills more often.

@8:10 there is an auto cancelled nair that I though was pretty cool. It kinda threw me off for the rest of the match though lol.

@ GSM_Dren I watched your matches throughout the tournament and have a couple comments. For the most part you do great but I think you can play more defensively at times. You seem to want to challenge everything and you could benefit from slowing down the match if things aren't in your favor. Yoshi's fair is good but sometimes you pull the trigger a bit too quickly, when you get them off stage you have time to see what they do before you let it rip. The :4sonic: matchup looks hella annoying and I dont even know too much about it yet.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
2 stock is standard, even Apex will be running 2 stock. I use Down b to try and trap them on the ground, even if they dodge just at the last possible second from the air the stars will still connect accomplishing 2 things: Safe recover and stage control. Another instance i try to use it is to parry and than down-b.
2 stock is standard because Nintendo wants it to be (for glory)
Apex has 2 stock because Nintendo is supporting the event, hence no PM.

3 Stock is obviously better and gives more intricate matches and even if SD's happen from both sides they still have 2 stocks to work with.
Any states that're still doing 2 stocks are basically preparing their top players for APEX.

@ 4:08 is the dair stagger which I decided to go into a Yoshi bomb. It seems like there is time for the opponent to do something (ZSS and her 1 frame jab) so its not guaranteed. But I've been thinking of ways to setup Yoshi bombs from dairs, jabs, and fairs which could help us secure kills more often.
That was cute, the jab missed cause Dair animation had him crouched down still.

@8:10 there is an auto cancelled nair that I though was pretty cool. It kinda threw me off for the rest of the match though lol.
Nobody knows why this happens but it happens here or there, it's actually any aerial that's just sucking in the character into the stage.

Last edited:

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Slush, how many tourneys do you even enter for smash 4? I cant tell you how many sets take ****ing forever and almost go to time with just 2 stocks, especially against a rosalina. Tourneys at high level converse the rules over with the top players to find a balance of where the speed of the game is right now, and 3 stock just takes do damn long. Apex isnt running 2 stock because of nintendo, Apex is a system of smart, progressive players who listen to what the pro's, even m2k, are saying. I dont think you understand why PM isnt there. People are not going to travel from out of country for an event that wont have sponsorship money put into the pot. On top of that PM cant be sponsored because it is an Illegal representation of a companies product, despite the popularity.

Also, dont forget that brawl started with 4 stocks and was quickly changed to 3 due to the speed of the game.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Um, I understand that you're trying to make a point here, but a lot of information is just flat out wrong.

First off, the 2 stock vs. 3 stock issue is a debate that is ongoing. Several top players DO NOT LIKE IT AND FREQUENTLY COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. TOs do not tend to decide on rulesets based on good discussion with top players. Much of the time, there's kneejerk reaction to top players' outcry, and it is much more frequently pandering than "conversing". Poor Mii Fighters are an example of this (RIP Brawler). 2 stocks is currently being tried BECAUSE OF FOR GLORY. I firmly believe, based on what I see from my region's TOs/top players, that if 2 stock weren't already established by Nintendo, 2 STOCKS WOULD NOT HAVE A LARGE FOLLOWING CURRENTLY.

Secondly, PM would DEFINITELY have MASSIVE attendance at Apex. Are you unfamiliar with the large public outcry from the PM community when it was confirmed to not be there? The fact that it was larger than Brawl last year, and reached the entrant cap? The DEATH THREATS SENT BECAUSE IT'S NOT BEING HELD!? No, PM is very popular and MANY people would travel for it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I watch tournaments and if sets are almost going to time I can see clearly with my own eyes it's the players playing too cautious because it's two stocks. It's obviously known if you lose your first stock in a 2 stock match while they're under 100% you're ****ed.
So players unconsciously play super safe since they have so little room for mistakes, not saying 3 stocks they do a **** ton of mistakes since people still play careful, but more mistakes usually are had and games still finish before timer goes under 3 minutes in most cases.

It also doesn't help that most tournaments run like 3 different ****ing games like melee PM and of course the doubles for all 2 and a half (or even 3 and a half if crazy enough to add brawl to the list) games/mods, so time constraints usually happen because the TO doesn't know how to host only one game, they gotta cater to the Melee/PM people half the time.

You should also remember that the 2 stocks is also coupled with 6 minutes not the 3 stocks 8 minutes brawl has, so the 2 less minutes it has is prolly helping very much with it almost going to time lol

As for APEX "listening" to top players, that's a complete lie sadly. If you ever clicked onto some of their threads, or even the recent thread on the APEX ruleset being absolute ****, you'd see that people are saying everything under the sun that isn't "gee apex sure is smart with all these decisions they've made!"
http://smashboards.com/threads/apex-2015-ruleset-is-out-survey-inside.384076/
http://smashboards.com/threads/ruleset.381991/#post-18256231
One of the trillions of posts saying APEX staff "listens to players and are very smart" /sarcasm

I understand fully why PM isn't there. Nintendo lolol Sorry to say, but

have you made a game?

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Double post and I know this should be taken to Private Messages (conversation, whatever) and not the thread for it, but I feel if somebody was to ask "who got the most ****ed over from a tournament out of all the Yoshi's?" I'd be a strong contender.

APEX was one of the worst tournaments I ever attended and experienced because of numerous reasons, but I'll state the tournament ones I remember.
It was poorly run, there were multiple death pools that knocked out good players too early (bad seeding of course), they had very little setups which took an extremely long time, I'm talking a day and a half here, for pools to finish. Wasn't even the fact "oh it's just brawl and people are camping" no ploos...

No friendlies could be played cause they were so tight on TVs they needed every single one they could get, it didn't help that at least more than half the people didn't report their matches so some TVs were literally left unattended for 10 or so minutes before people eventually took them for friendlies and then somehow they'll finally come up minutes after the friendlies would start and kick them off, so nobody could warm up. I wouldn't be able to count how many times I heard "Is this a pools match?"
There was only one or two setups in the other room where friendlies could be had but the wait time was like 20+ minutes if you're lucky, and a good portion of the pools didn't even start till 9 PM through 1 AM, wanna guess which pool I was in? The 1 AM ones.

It also did not help there was barely any chairs for people to sit on in the room that's waiting for their pools, so I was standing almost the entire day unable to play or do anything. So I don't expect APEX to fix their problems but more of add a lot more to the already enormous dreary plate of lies.

Also telling me if I ever gone to a smash 4 tournament is like telling me if I ever joined a Smash tournament in general, it's literally the same game series and I've been to probably triple the amount of tournaments you've gone too along with TO'ing some in my town. So I know exactly how long matches take based on the players I know and who they play along with their playstyle. So refrain from the rude baseless comments.

Back to video discussion

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Double post and I know this should be taken to Private Messages (conversation, whatever) and not the thread for it, but I feel if somebody was to ask "who got the most ****ed over from a tournament out of all the Yoshi's?" I'd be a strong contender.

APEX was one of the worst tournaments I ever attended and experienced because of numerous reasons, but I'll state the tournament ones I remember.
It was poorly run, there were multiple death pools that knocked out good players too early (bad seeding of course), they had very little setups which took an extremely long time, I'm talking a day and a half here, for pools to finish. Wasn't even the fact "oh it's just brawl and people are camping" no ploos...

No friendlies could be played cause they were so tight on TVs they needed every single one they could get, it didn't help that at least more than half the people didn't report their matches so some TVs were literally left unattended for 10 or so minutes before people eventually took them for friendlies and then somehow they'll finally come up minutes after the friendlies would start and kick them off, so nobody could warm up. I wouldn't be able to count how many times I heard "Is this a pools match?"
There was only one or two setups in the other room where friendlies could be had but the wait time was like 20+ minutes if you're lucky, and a good portion of the pools didn't even start till 9 PM through 1 AM, wanna guess which pool I was in? The 1 AM ones.

It also did not help there was barely any chairs for people to sit on in the room that's waiting for their pools, so I was standing almost the entire day unable to play or do anything. So I don't expect APEX to fix their problems but more of add a lot more to the already enormous dreary plate of lies.

Also telling me if I ever gone to a smash 4 tournament is like telling me if I ever joined a Smash tournament in general, it's literally the same game series and I've been to probably triple the amount of tournaments you've gone too along with TO'ing some in my town. So I know exactly how long matches take based on the players I know and who they play along with their playstyle. So refrain from the rude baseless comments.

Back to video discussion
I thank you for your account of Apex. I've been considering going, but it would cost me hundreds and a few vacation days, and considering I don't have a sparring buddy at my skill level around me, I honestly don't even know how well I'd perform in the first place. This convinces me that now is not my time.

I want to make it to the big scene some day, but fate has not been kind to me as far as granting me opportunities to hone my skills with someone at my level or better. I hardly have anyone who wants to play with me at all because none of my friends take it as seriously.

Last edited:

Scatz

Smash Champion
Not necessarily the place to have this convo. So after this post, move the convo to the general thread. Where do you live?

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
Slush, you are getting pissed over nothing. reread my post as i think you took some things out of context. I've been in the competitive smash scene since 2006, and have quite a large level of tourneys under my belt, so i understand the frustration you must of felt at apex. BUT, it is apex, and people being stupid and not reporting their match is not their fault, its the players. As for friendlies. Really? Its the second biggest tourney in the world, first being EVO. If you want to do friendlies, bring a tv for your hotel room like so MANY people do, plus the after parties each night. Everything on the floor should be people proving that they are the best and watching some hype tourney sets live. I mean, lots of people spend hundreds to go to this, do you really think sitting with a few people on a set up playing friendlies is getting the most out of the experience of APEX?

Speaking of tourneys and APEX. Check out my New Combo video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2P3cF3J0l8
And if you want to be a real pal, come support my yoshi on Reddit where Praxis posted the video and is almost the top featured post and is even front page.
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2qtye4/dr_robotniks_combo_video_you_havent_seen_yoshi/

Top Bottom