• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

sRocky

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thetoontoon55
3DS FC
3265-5186-8696
Here's a montage I made a few days ago. Yes I know the quality looks horrendous since I only have a Standard Definition capture card but I think the gameplay is good. Most of the people I fought were actually competent given its For Glory so most of this wasn't free (Except for the Dedede). The Montage actually starts at 1:05 but I added the beginning to make it kind of like a story. If you would watch I'd greatly appreciate it! I used the song Watercolour by Pendulum. Also, if this is in the wrong forum section please let me know.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Japanese Wi-Fi tournament series had some good Yoshidora sets. Might as well post them here since I didn't see them elsewhere. Yoshidora is quite polished from what I've seen. Yes, this is wi-fi; but still valid gameplay.

Tamisuma #59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ribfGMpVW3k Round 6 vs Rizeasu:4link::4marth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5uuuTyvHNQ Semifinals vs Shoot:4diddy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8btS-oZQk Finals vs YB:4samus:

Tamisuma #60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGZKd7V-cj8 Semifinals vs Kameme :4megaman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGlhy18eRTc Finals vs // :4wiremac:

Japan sure loves omega Wily's Castle lol

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
This thread seems to be a little dead, I'll try to revive it a bit.

I'd like to show this cool string I did at 3:25 in this video on a pikachu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLouxpJVIWk

Also, more importantly, i'd like to get some advice here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcIGZOZ80_8

I felt really dominated the entire set, which means I was being outplayed and couldn't adapt accordingly. How could I have done better here?

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Oof... super-campy Tink is one of my least favorite MUs. From what I saw, only thing I can think of is b-reverse egg lay. When you saw that he was waiting in shield for your jump-in so he could roll away, you could've followed it with egg lay. Not sure where you'd go from there though, as that's not a great way to set up a kill unless you're godlike at timing ground pound as the egg pops.

sRocky

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thetoontoon55
3DS FC
3265-5186-8696
Hey guys just dropping a set here from my local biweekly, really feel like I should've won this went all the way to game 3 any tips/advice/anything i can do better as far as the yoshi/fox mu goes or anything I can get better at in general thanks guys!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLBfJBTJRR4o_kh0ZFVNjG1XKVWoE46iXi&v=DzKBFtI8JdA
First of all, nice Yoshi. From watching the set I agree that you should've won. I noticed that most of the time when Fox recovered, whether it was with side-b or up-b, you tended to hold center stage and not try to hinder his recovery. You could try throwing eggs off stage with varying lengths to get extra damage, have a chance to 2 frame him, and also potentially set up for a f-air. Even if the egg misses, it could pressure the Fox player mentally. If he Shine stalls and/or tries to send the egg back at you, you should have enough time to react with shield, and you could try to bait out the Shine if he does it too much. This is situational but, on stage I think you could try to either use d-tilt a little more just to keep some distance and potentially get a followup.

I hope this helps!

Rotisse

Yoshi Champion
NNID
rotisse
Most foxes in my area have a really scrubby tendency to just side b back on stage so i typically do hold center stage because i know at some point they're going to do the scrubby side b but i feel like mixing it up with eggs off stage might be a good way to keep them guessing what im gonna do and dtilting them away would probably be better in getting fox off stage thank you for your advice this actually helps alot thanks!

Pixel_

Smash Ace
This is great content, thanks for the video Pixel. I sure hope we're not still relying on grab release shenanigans, even before you gave this to us. =P
People are commenting on the video and defending grab release, so sadly that's not the case

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
https://youtu.be/eZK86wsoWFA

I'd like some critique on this. The same TL from before. He always makes a comeback against me for some reason -_-
It seems to me like, whenever you're behind/TL approaches ~90%, you are overcome with a sense of desperation to close out stocks. Down Bs outta nowhere, DEEEEEEEP Dash attacks, running Usmashes, all things that are pretty unreliable in neutral, especially when TL is walling you. You seemed to lose your sense of projectile tracking over the course of the set, you got hit by bomb toss (shielded) > boomerang (cuz you jumped OOS) a ton.

If what you're doing is working, don't stop doing it. There was a sort of controlled presence you had at the beginning of game 1, and you were winning handily. That's the sort of mindset you need to acquire. Keep track of projectiles, learn the traps (bomb > boomerang angled up, air dodging down > bomb toss on landing) and how to beat them. I recommend working on item catches -- unless TL is on top of you, bombs aren't hard to catch. Just catch them instead of shielding. Shielding projectiles sets up for his pressure.

Gotta keep cool dude. You do a lot of great stuff (the DAir pressure on platforms, for instance). Just gotta keep yourself together when you're behind/TL is at KO percents.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
ok thx delta I really appreciate it.

Another set that kinda intrigued me was this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_mJht1Dtys
I won 3-2 but it felt so random, one time I was getting destroyed and them suddenly I started destroying him and so on. Granted, Greninja is not one of the MUs i'm more experienced with (and my opponent probably didn't know yoshi very well either) so there's that.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think comparing the fourth and fifth games is good here.

In the fourth game (and in others) there were a few things I noticed.
  • You airdodged a lot. Especially after getting hit, you would air dodge back down and into Greninja. It seems like this is what he would want you to do.
  • You shielded/rolled/spotdodged a lot. This seemed like it was out of fear/confusion about what Greninja would do, and it happened a lot in neutral as he was doing SHFF stuff (mainly Nair).
  • You made bad moves like going super deep for Rising Fairs while recovering from the ledge or going all in on DJ Uair to try to close out a stock (to be fair you were super far behind).
  • You spent a lot of time floating in the air during recoveries throwing eggs. This didn't seem especially effective.
In contrast, in the fifth game you...
  • Did not airdodge much -- rather, you traded out of his combos with Nair
  • You didn't shield/roll at neutral a lot. You just hit him with... hitboxes. This is good.
  • You didn't go super deep for bad moves like in game 4 (you fished a bit for Down Bs though).
Smash is won by killing your opponent (citation needed). This Greninja seemed to be pressuring you in neutral with SHFF Nair out of range and then punishing defensive options. When you stopped playing into this game and instead opted to just hit him instead, you won, quite handily. Naturally you don't want to try attacking recklessly and poorly, but there are definitely holes in Greninja's neutral game (during landing, during Nair's start up) that you can take advantage of by punishing (running Usmash perhaps, it even starts in the front in this game!).

You also don't really want to roll/airdodge into Greninja much. He's way too good at punishing those options.

Good stuff on the shield breaks btw. You seem to get them a lot. I highly recommend the addition of taunting before the Fsmash. =P

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I don't even have taunts in my controller configuration lmao

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Game 1: I understand that Cloud is scary, but it seems like you're spending wayyyyyyyyyy too much time in shield. You're not playing cautiously, you're playing scared. Your shield won't kill Cloud, your hitboxes will. You spent so much time running up, shielding, then running away, that you never really...did anything to your opponent. I understand you're likely looking out for Nair, but the constant retreats make getting something done difficult. Try holding your ground more, get comfy in close quarters.

On that note, your opponent heavily used shield just like you. You need to incorporate more grabs into your game, especially since you rely a lot on dash attack.

Game 2: Well, you looked like you actually had life in you. You were significantly more aggressive. You combo'd, you didn't shield or roll many times, and you actually used some grabs. You also landed both gimps, which provides huuuuge advantages over Cloud.

Most of my observations throughout the rest of the game are just more of the same. Lots of shielding, sometimes double rolling for seemingly no reason (see beginning of game 3), when you actually do aggressive things and carry momentum you succeed. Also, Yoshi bombing off the stage is typically bad (rip my soul).

You could stand to optimize some of your punishes more. For example, Game 4 at about 13:00, you shielded all of cross slash and then... down tilted out of shield for 5%? Why not go for a grab and throw him offstage to setup an edge guard? Choosing your punishes better would allow you to acquire more of that momentum that you carry so well and can do so much with.

I never saw you use Usmash, btw. Any particular reason why?

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Yoshi's grab comes out fast enough to punish limit cross slash on yoshi's shield?

I do use usmash normally, i got one of my kills with it on Dreamland. If it didn't use it much in this set it's just a coincidence.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
It's difficult for me to understand Cloud's frame data table properly, but...

It looks like his first actionable frame after hit 3 is frame 56, which is 31 frames after the final hitbox of Cross Slash becomes active. Yoshi's standing grab is first active on frame 14, so if you add in shield drop (7 frames) you have 21 frames before grab comes out, on top of any shield stun cross slash puts you in (probably not more than 10).

So yes, you should be able to shield grab Cross Slash (non limit break, which was what had hit you at the time stamp I'm talking about). Limit Cross Slash looks like you only get 22 frames after the final hitbox to grab, which means you likely cannot shield grab it depending on the shield lag you are put into, but I'd test it to be sure. Again, reading Cloud's frame data is kinda weird (at least the tables I found).

In any case, even if you couldn't grab, I'm sure there must be something better than dtilt to use. =P

I'd also experiment with using Usmash as Cloud's jumping around. It makes a nice mix-in with the constant shielding, and you might find you're able to just kick his face in repeatedly.

Top Bottom