• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

TheRedLemming

Smash Cadet
Yoshi has a good MU against Rosa, and if you are pretty comfortable with egg placements, you can easily get around platforms, There is a decent Rosaluma in my area who, with Yoshi's Aerial Games, with SHAD nairs, SHET into Dairs, he doesn't feel he can get anything started.
You can go for a down B on Jab Release pretty effectively against Rosa, one of the things I use to combat rosa is, even though she has that grav pull there, if you use egg tosses effectively, you can use either grav pull or hitstun to come up and start a string against her, keep her on the defensive side, (which, is where she is stronger, true), and make her work to get any hits on you.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Here's a match from my last tourney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BESiVlJ9Xq0

I wish more sets of mine were recorded, but that's the only one that was uploaded...

I had a extremely close set against a Ness in Losers which I ended up losing and I really would like to have that match recorded, but that's not the case unfortunately :/

Please critique.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
My critique is are you Delta? Threw 12 eggs before finally using something else lol
Another thing

Where did that avatar come from

Serious tho it seemed like you played the Peach matchup decently, as for the Mario one your playstyle changed for some reason and it had a negative effect most of the time to the point you were doing random stuff like downb'ing back to the stage or into him.

Just camp him cause he can't really do anything to stop you and your damage output is much higher than Mario's if he ever runs in attempting to punish you for camping, just avoid his invincible upsmash that covers basically his entire body since he's so short and his dair.
At the end of the day it just seemed like you had the problem every other Yoshi has, closing the stock. Yoshi needs reliable kill set ups already, or a kill throw lol

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIrrLGZvOU
Hello fellow Yoshi's I am a Yoshi main from Syracuse New York. Please check out my video and let me know what you think! :)
Cool compilation, any more tournament vids?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWURt18nG50

Myself vs Void at TGC 5 this past weekend. For your viewing pleasure.
Close matches, Void was getting too impatient in the second match. How is Skyfall as a CP for yoshi? Seems to be good, but our tourneys don't allow the stage. My playstyle is a lot more conservative compared to yours, I needa work on being aggressive
Here's a match from my last tourney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BESiVlJ9Xq0

I wish more sets of mine were recorded, but that's the only one that was uploaded...

I had a extremely close set against a Ness in Losers which I ended up losing and I really would like to have that match recorded, but that's not the case unfortunately :/

Please critique.
You played the peach matchup well, but as Slush pointed out you changed it pretty heavily vs mario. Down b was used too much and lylat probably didn't help so much either. Mario upsmash is annoying, so try not to put yourself in situations where you're above him.

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Skyloft is an interesting one because Xyro basically throws normal rules to the wind and allows that and other weird stages as CP's (Peach's Castle 64 for instance). I've played on Skyloft quite a bit and it has parts that really cater to Yoshi. Anything that has a wall in it, if you manage to put the enemy between you and said wall... down tilt is a true combo into itself up to about 40 percent based on your rage and enemy weight. Outside of that bouncing people off walls is very good in general for combo possibilities. It has really good nook and cranny parts as well if you know when to take advantage of transitions and knock people off to get KO'd by the stage itself floating by.

In conclusion, I love Skyloft :) Everyone in Houston knows me as the jank stage master so yeah lol.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Me vs. MB (Zelda) at Victory Pointe - Really solid Zelda player here, more than once stole the lead right out from under me with some sneaky play. Poor decisions were made under pressure, but hey, the commentators gave me some props right at the start of this so I can't complain. GGs

goonpay

Smash Rookie
Hi everybody.

I'm a french player and i need some practice with Yoshi. With the video option (Youtube), i put a video online to share; Unfortunately, video are limited to 3 minutes so i have only 1 video to show for the moment.
Some advice to improve my skill ?

https://youtu.be/5F8RihFHFig

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
A Interesting combo i found with yoshi that probably wont work if the opponent DI's away sorry for bad editing in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4yPm-pMrY

It's pretty well known up air confirms into more up airs at certain percents. Using the egg into that would be nice if your opponent doesn't shield.

Fair jab locks are also pretty darn rare. You capitalized pretty much the most out of it, though I'm not sure if that egg was a guaranteed hit or if it could've been shielded. Gotta test that stuff against a player.

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
The Wall The Wall I feel like it can confirm off of a fair lock if you throw it at its lowest height because the egg is inside of their body and yes the last combo could only happen if the opponent doesnt shield also didnt know that people knew about the fact that uair can combos into its self three times since i didnt see it anywhere on here my bad

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
I did that 3 Up airs combo into a Sheik in T&C once starting from a platform and managed to kill her at a very low % by just taking her to the top blastzone, I wasn't recorded though :c

ImBlob

Smash Rookie
yo guys, just dropping my latest set on stream at S@X in here. Don't try to take too much from my gameplay, as the stream flubs are real. Hopefully I'll have some good stuff for you guys soon.
http://youtu.be/fytTl1rub2Y

Hush_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hushhh
Switch FC
SW-7310-0229-2822
leaving this here for you guys to view. The first match was nothing special, didn't play well at all (spoilers, I won), but instead I'll timestamp you the second match of me going up against some shiek.

https://youtu.be/wpZnuFP-QGc?t=189

DustinxD

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so I just finished my latest Smash 4 video and I thought I would share it with you guys!

Unfortunately locks, egg lay setups, stage spikes and that are lacking since I didn't have any of those replays saved on my own setup; mainly because they would happen on a different setup so I'm unable to record it. :x I'll be making more videos in the future but I'll incorporate more of the other techs with them when I get the clips!

Anywho, here it is! Let me know what you guys think! Also it appears I've been removed from the Skype group. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H__MkEqO0uM

Last edited:

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Some words of wisdom optimising vs Sonic and picking out any glaring errors would be appreciated. Struggling to land safely against him at times.

Competitive local matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85uh2x5-KLI

I have a feeling part of this may be recent matchup inexperience, I haven't played a decent one for quite a long time. No need to point out the shameful SDs #JustYo****hings

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
yo guys, just dropping my latest set on stream at S@X in here. Don't try to take too much from my gameplay, as the stream flubs are real. Hopefully I'll have some good stuff for you guys soon.
http://youtu.be/fytTl1rub2Y
First off: Good stuff! I liked your play overall, seems solid!

First match you were too risky with your DJ offstage. You need to make sure you're not wasting it/getting knocked out of it in this game especially -- our lifts from Egg Toss are quite miniscule, plus we only get 2. Otherwise, I totally thought you might have brought it back, you were just one solid hit away.

Second Match: Great overall. Again, a bit too risky offstage. You can't waste both Egg Tosses and still be wayyyyyy deep offstage. You managed to work around your awful positioning, but you probably shoulda been gimped.

Third Game: At the end there, you wasted a lot of recovery time and space by Egg Laying under the stage. I'm not sure why you're B-reversing for no reason off stage (Gimr wasn't even near you at the time), but it just puts you in a worse spot for when you do have to come back up.

In the end, I think you really should have won that set, but you're throwing away too much recovery flexibility when you're on defense. Our DJ is precious, you mustn't put yourself in terrible positions that make it an easily punishable option, and you must take extra care not to lose it.

leaving this here for you guys to view. The first match was nothing special, didn't play well at all (spoilers, I won), but instead I'll timestamp you the second match of me going up against some shiek.

https://youtu.be/wpZnuFP-QGc?t=189
Okay, so it's For Glory, so I can't give too much specific advice because of frame delays and things I may not be able to account for.

You Down B. A lot. You Down B empty space, to land, randomly above the stage, etc. It's not that safe a move, and I think that is a bad habit that you may be getting reinforced due to the difficulty of dealing with it online. It's a good move, and has its place, but you can't just throw it out everywhere.

I also noticed you charged Usmash into empty space right when you had your fresh second stock. That's also not the greatest thing to do. Maybe you thought you had a read, but it didn't work out, the Sheik was far away, and you still kept charging. You need to release when the opportunity is gone so you don't give your opponent more time to prepare a punish.

Match 1: Careful with your Down Bs! First stock was lost due to quite an unfortunate one. I also think you go for too many grabs -- they're very punishable and not very rewarding.

Match 2: Holy **** the end of that game. That was some incredible work you did there.

Match 3: No real match specific comments, besides not to hold your whiffed Fsmash that long.

Overall, I LOVE your use of jab. It's really pretty awesome. Not such a big fan of your grabbing, although you toned it down by match 3. I admit to not knowing much about the Pika MU -- the matches were quite fast and nothing really stood out to me as horribly horribly wrong, it just looked like you got beat. No real advice besides pick the winning option more frequently, but there wasn't any systematic failure on your part (I think).

Hey guys, so I just finished my latest Smash 4 video and I thought I would share it with you guys!

Unfortunately locks, egg lay setups, stage spikes and that are lacking since I didn't have any of those replays saved on my own setup; mainly because they would happen on a different setup so I'm unable to record it. :x I'll be making more videos in the future but I'll incorporate more of the other techs with them when I get the clips!

Anywho, here it is! Let me know what you guys think! Also it appears I've been removed from the Skype group. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H__MkEqO0uM
Oooh, this video was fun! I will say, I was very confused with the camera angle in the first clip. I didn't really like it and found that it obscured what was happening.

Also, this is just one of my little pet peeves with combo/highlight videos like this, but I always find spending screentime with your opponent sorta flailing around beneath the stage with their recovery move when they're definitely dead kind of silly. Like, I just watched you combo DK for 6 seconds, now I gotta watch him Up B for 2 seconds before falling to his death. There's no real need, the action is done (unless you're also recovering or something, naturally exceptions exist).

Of course, if you're trying to sync the video to the music/audio effects, then these clips have their place. It's just kind of a general rule of thumb for me, I'm not sure how you decided to go about making the video and if you needed these to get the timing just right.

Regarding Skype, I'm not sure if you've gotten back in or not, but I can't help you there due to Skype not letting my computer run due to being a processor hog. You can try PMing a member of the Skype group about it. Alternatively, you could PM me about the Discord (basically Skype that runs better) group that exists. PM someone about this, don't talk about it in the video thread.

Some words of wisdom optimising vs Sonic and picking out any glaring errors would be appreciated. Struggling to land safely against him at times.

Competitive local matchup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85uh2x5-KLI

I have a feeling part of this may be recent matchup inexperience, I haven't played a decent one for quite a long time. No need to point out the shameful SDs #JustYo****hings
Match 1: I love how you killed him with Egg Lay. I swear, it takes so much longer to break free than you expect. I also really appreciate your taunt. Don't get up into a Sonic charging Usmash on ledge though, the move lasts too long and you'll just die. Based off what I saw, it looks like were too...afraid of Sonic. Lots of rolling, giving him space, shielding, retreating, etc. Also, you seemed to be chasing him with unsafe moves (Bair, for example). Don't overcommit so hard just to catch him -- close the space and then you can apply smart pressure, not desperate pressure.

Match 2: Egg Roll confirmed as Sonic counter. The pressure and confidence you demonstrated in this match is leagues away from the way you were in the first one. It really made a noticeable difference -- you were in charge basically the entire time. A missed stage-tech let him catch up, but otherwise you were pretty dominant. The edge guarding was really nice, as well.

Match 3: I think you try to Egg Toss too much after Dash Attack. It's not really working, and is something you should start cutting out, because you got punished for it basically every time. I really, really liked your extended recovery on your second stock -- you got beat up real badly, but you saved your jump and were able to eventually return. PLUS you took his second stock first. Really well done. Regrettably, two SDs make for a bad time. Not too much to do besides...not SD in the future.

Hush_

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hushhh
Switch FC
SW-7310-0229-2822
So I made a combo video for Yoshi today and I think it came out pretty well. I hope you guys enjoy watching the video, I spent most of the day just trying to get clips and putting it all together.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Match 1: I love how you killed him with Egg Lay. I swear, it takes so much longer to break free than you expect. I also really appreciate your taunt. Don't get up into a Sonic charging Usmash on ledge though, the move lasts too long and you'll just die. Based off what I saw, it looks like were too...afraid of Sonic. Lots of rolling, giving him space, shielding, retreating, etc. Also, you seemed to be chasing him with unsafe moves (Bair, for example). Don't overcommit so hard just to catch him -- close the space and then you can apply smart pressure, not desperate pressure.

Match 2: Egg Roll confirmed as Sonic counter. The pressure and confidence you demonstrated in this match is leagues away from the way you were in the first one. It really made a noticeable difference -- you were in charge basically the entire time. A missed stage-tech let him catch up, but otherwise you were pretty dominant. The edge guarding was really nice, as well.

Match 3: I think you try to Egg Toss too much after Dash Attack. It's not really working, and is something you should start cutting out, because you got punished for it basically every time. I really, really liked your extended recovery on your second stock -- you got beat up real badly, but you saved your jump and were able to eventually return. PLUS you took his second stock first. Really well done. Regrettably, two SDs make for a bad time. Not too much to do besides...not SD in the future.

I appreciate the effort you put in to respond to every Delta.

Taunt - We were having lots of fun, fortunately our area lacks much salt so we're able to do these things without fear and there are just smiles all around.

Fear - Yep, I was worried going into the matchup as I've not played it for a long time. I also happened to know that James is a great player from friendlies. I suppose I didn't want to over commit in the first game and to get the most out of learning some weaknesses. In game 2 he was definitely less confident caused by the stage, I'll probably play the mental game and go places he's going to dislike where possible in future. If that had been the first game and I'd gotten both stage picks the result might have been different due to mindset/confidence loss on stages.

Bair - I hadn't noticed I was chasing with it, it's typically pretty safe when faded away, but you're right. I'll watch out for it.

Eggroll - I definitely ship eggroll as a good move in various matchups, Sonic struggles to handle it well and the 50/50 clash or victory vs spindash seems to be worth the risk if only to shut down the Sonic using spindash. T little hop it does on startup tends to cause spindash to go underneath too, at least in my experience.

Dash attack>egg toss - Looking at it... You're right. I think there's some muscle memory going on or something. It might be a habit I've picked up from FG where players typically aggressively DI back towards me. If they airdodge the egg they end up landing getting frametrap punished. But at this higher level you're absolutely right, I should work it out of my patterns.

Recovery - #justyoshi things

---

I'm pretty pleased with this response Delta, you picked up on a couple things I hadn't that I can work on. Cheers.

D

Deleted member 189823

Match 1: Careful with your Down Bs! First stock was lost due to quite an unfortunate one. I also think you go for too many grabs -- they're very punishable and not very rewarding.

Match 2: Holy **** the end of that game. That was some incredible work you did there.

Match 3: No real match specific comments, besides not to hold your whiffed Fsmash that long.

Overall, I LOVE your use of jab. It's really pretty awesome. Not such a big fan of your grabbing, although you toned it down by match 3. I admit to not knowing much about the Pika MU -- the matches were quite fast and nothing really stood out to me as horribly horribly wrong, it just looked like you got beat. No real advice besides pick the winning option more frequently, but there wasn't any systematic failure on your part (I think).
Thank you so much, Delta-****. I'll get much better in the future. n_N

So I made a combo video for Yoshi today and I think it came out pretty well. I hope you guys enjoy watching the video, I spent most of the day just trying to get clips and putting it all together.

c00ned out...

Also[s|, semi-relevant[/s|:

DustinxD

Smash Rookie
Oooh, this video was fun! I will say, I was very confused with the camera angle in the first clip. I didn't really like it and found that it obscured what was happening.

Also, this is just one of my little pet peeves with combo/highlight videos like this, but I always find spending screentime with your opponent sorta flailing around beneath the stage with their recovery move when they're definitely dead kind of silly. Like, I just watched you combo DK for 6 seconds, now I gotta watch him Up B for 2 seconds before falling to his death. There's no real need, the action is done (unless you're also recovering or something, naturally exceptions exist).

Of course, if you're trying to sync the video to the music/audio effects, then these clips have their place. It's just kind of a general rule of thumb for me, I'm not sure how you decided to go about making the video and if you needed these to get the timing just right.

Regarding Skype, I'm not sure if you've gotten back in or not, but I can't help you there due to Skype not letting my computer run due to being a processor hog. You can try PMing a member of the Skype group about it. Alternatively, you could PM me about the Discord (basically Skype that runs better) group that exists. PM someone about this, don't talk about it in the video thread.
Thanks for the reply Delta. :) The clips were assembled like that mainly for some parts to sync to the music and for some small gaps I didn't have any footage that was small enough to fit them unfortunately. I'll keep those in mind for the future videos though. I'll send you a PM.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I need critique, thanks in advance!
(also I feel completely out of place because I don't have a Yoshi avatar lol)
EDIT:

Last edited:

ImBlob

Smash Rookie
More sets to analyze. I made it into winners side of GF's this tourney and ended up losing to the guy I beat in winners finals. These are my smaller locals that happened to have a stream this day.

WSF -Me vs. Joerule (my brother, Jr. main) - http://www.twitch.tv/tournamentcitygames/v/38287405?t=54m58s
WF - Me vs. Coreo (mains ness, uses pika and cloud as well) - http://www.twitch.tv/tournamentcitygames/v/38287405?t=01h10m00s
GF - Me vs. Coreo again - http://www.twitch.tv/tournamentcitygames/v/38287405?t=01h48m48s

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Hey guys! I recently lead a crew battle (captained and started), and though I did well enough taking 4 stocks, I got something even more valuable: a replay where I lost to arguably the best Lucas in our area. I'm still having trouble with this MU, so some analysis would be greatly appreciated!

Timestamps:

0:00:00 - 0:05:00: Me vs. Hex (Sheik main, and I come away with 2 stocks left)
0:08:45 - 0:13:20: Me vs. PnkHat (Lucas main - the problematic MU in question and a regular wall for me in brackets)

My main issue is I don't know how to approach Lucas. He's always one step ahead of me and seems like he's already covering what I'm about to do - I can't dash or grab because of PK Fire, and he's always ready for me to roll (and I didn't feel like I rolled too much, but maybe I am). Biggest kick-myself moment is at 12:36 where I tried to bair him into the stage, but missed the input.

How should I adapt my playstyle for Lucas?

My team won by one stock... with a Charizard.

Last edited:

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
there were a good amount of moments where i wouldve used ETS, since it outranges and goes over PK fire. in general i think the matchup is just a ton of pestering one another until someone tries to commit to something, so you should give lucas a reason to be the first to commit to things as well.

also, SHAD > nair/uair might work well if you see a PK fire coming? even eggroll startup can hop over PK fire if you're feeling gutsy.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
there were a good amount of moments where i wouldve used ETS, since it outranges and goes over PK fire. in general i think the matchup is just a ton of pestering one another until someone tries to commit to something, so you should give lucas a reason to be the first to commit to things as well.

also, SHAD > nair/uair might work well if you see a PK fire coming? even eggroll startup can hop over PK fire if you're feeling gutsy.
I actually didn't know what ETS was until I looked it up just now. Very interesting... ironically, I used to have L set to jump for OOS options, but I never used it so I recently changed it to something else. I should change it back and lab this! Thanks for the tip

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I was on stream against a Pac Man at Bambi Broke the Wagon.

Nevermind me dashing into the hydrant like a spazz - you can clearly see me giving myself a hard time about it in real time. Some of those were meant to be Fsmashes, others were sheer carelessness. None were intentional, I do know better.

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
Made another video showing how long Yoshi's double jump heavy armor lasts. I decided not to edit it and instead explain it in the description.
Description:
Basically, once Yoshi's actual double jump animation ends, the heavy armor isn't in effect anymore. You can see this at around 0:10. Also, at the end of the video, I go through the aura sphere at the very end of the heavy armor (0:54). I recommend seeing this at 0.25 speed.

(also I still need names for the egg roll techs, because I may have to resort to naming them myself)

Last edited:
Top Bottom