• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
@ Dr. Robotnik Dr. Robotnik , Very nice Yoshi, dude. One thing in the Mew2King matches...there's no way that d-throw to Uair to double Bair is a true combo.How did he keep landing that on you? Couldn't you DJ, Nair, or air dodge?

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
@ Dr. Robotnik Dr. Robotnik , Very nice Yoshi, dude. One thing in the Mew2King matches...there's no way that d-throw to Uair to double Bair is a true combo.How did he keep landing that on you? Couldn't you DJ, Nair, or air dodge?
To be fair, M2k was actually the first Diddy kong i have ever fought other than a cpu, which speaks miles when i took him to last hit game 2 and 3. If you watch the set you can progressively see me figure him out on which approach's were working and which were not. Also, Rage has a lot to do on how most characters d-through will combo. Yoshi with rage allows him to d-throw up air, but without rage the upair will always miss on diddy. Weight is another factor.

Kind of rambling, but i guess what im trying to say is just shear match up experience is the main factor. Diddy's up air also out prioritizes nair and f-air and b-air break Dj armor even at low percents, which is why you see me eat a lot of them. Diddy's arials are also fast enough to set up traps based on an air dodge so what i was trying to come down with was b-reversals or just simply moving as far away to position for more eggs.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Well you did awesome if that was against your first human controlled Diddy, and M2K no less. Diddy's aerials all around seem way too good. You can't give a character's aerials speed, large hitboxes, strong knockback, and good priority...and combo from d-throw. There need to be some weaknesses.

M2K is weak for just rushing to the character that is currently labeled the best. You should pick a character you like and make it good. We'll see if he keeps his word and uses Mewtwo when he is released...even if he isn't high tier.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
I have heard from very reliable resources that m2k considers this his job and feels robbed when he loses. Basically just plays to win.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't surprise me. I guess if it's your only source of income, winning is top priority. To be the best you have to put in more time, and break more controllers, than I'm willing. At some point it's going to stop feeling fun and start feeling like a job.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
No, it should never be at that point. Hes the only top player I can think of that plays like this. To feel robbed and that something unjust was done to you when you lose, rather than building the will to become not only stronger at the game, but as a player, enriching your life to a fuller extent, i just cant have respect for something like that. Its close minded and causes you to make mistakes when all you care to do is win rather than learn and grow. It makes a good point though as to how i could see massive progression against him in our best of 5 set. He was playing to win, as was I, but our mentality of winning i feel limited him to playing as he is, and not how he should be.

Man that seems ****ing deep but its just such a simple concept.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Your Yoshi looked really solid. I liked how you started matches with egg toss > egg lay. You used fair for spikes on and offstage really well. I like to chase opponents offstage more, but that's just my playstyle. I also like to use Yoshi's grab fairly often, but seeing as you were playing against a Mega Man, the lack of grabs is understandable. Nice job!

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Your Yoshi looked really solid. I liked how you started matches with egg toss > egg lay. You used fair for spikes on and offstage really well. I like to chase opponents offstage more, but that's just my playstyle. I also like to use Yoshi's grab fairly often, but seeing as you were playing against a Mega Man, the lack of grabs is understandable. Nice job!
Yes i tried to grab a couple of times but the pellets/saw kept blocking me. I usually go real deep against my opponent but again, megaman recovery is really hard to hit.

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Match 1: Mix up your egg throw and egg lay/Nair to keep them guessing. Your opponent was wising up when you kept following up with egg lay.
Try to avoid landing infront of their shield when you Fair them. He got several grabs off you for it.
OoS Nair is great, I don't think I saw you use it at all, try incorporate it to your defense game. Also try incorporate B-reversals, to approach with and when you're comeing from above; It's a great movement tool to catch them off guard.
Do not get Yoshi bomb happy, its ending lag takes time and he was able to punish you for it.
Also just curious, any reason why uthrow over dthrow? I feel dthrow gives you more options than uthrow does, but I'm not so sure.
Overall good job against megaman, I feel that matchup is tough for Yoshi.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Match 1: Mix up your egg throw and egg lay/Nair to keep them guessing. Your opponent was wising up when you kept following up with egg lay.
Try to avoid landing infront of their shield when you Fair them. He got several grabs off you for it.
OoS Nair is great, I don't think I saw you use it at all, try incorporate it to your defense game. Also try incorporate B-reversals, to approach with and when you're comeing from above; It's a great movement tool to catch them off guard.
Do not get Yoshi bomb happy, its ending lag takes time and he was able to punish you for it.
Also just curious, any reason why uthrow over dthrow? I feel dthrow gives you more options than uthrow does, but I'm not so sure.
Overall good job against megaman, I feel that matchup is tough for Yoshi.
Thanks a lot for the tips, ill rewatch the videos to look into the things you said.
I go for upthrow on certain character that have a really laggy down air. Megaman, DDD etc.
That way they can't really do anything once in the air and I get in a better position overall or better follow up really often. I could also try down throw for a change... I dont use it enough.

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Hey guys,

I played Nairo on stream today.
He didn't play his mains and I ended up winning the Bo3 to my surprise :)

Any tips would be appreciated.
http://www.twitch.tv/nairomk/b/608345492

Fight start at 10:32 in his stream time or 3:50:50 video time.

He played Peach, shulk, shulk.
I should have won the 2nd game as well but i miss input side+B instead of down B. He even said at that moment "im dead" lol fml :p

Own commentary:
Overall play: Im doing double forward air A LOT and dont do much variation in my play like I usually do. I think my nerves + the fact that it was working, made me feel i didnt need to mix it up. In my usual match i throw more eggs and a bit more egg lay. I'm trying to incorporate Down B as a punish when I get reads because it does a **** tons of damage.

First game:
I get a really good lead early and have a hard time getting the kill. Against good opponent, I have a hard time killing them because you never find an opening for Down B and running upsmash can get you punish pretty hard on block. They usually dodge Fair spike or double fair approaches as well.

2nd game:
I get BODIED early. I played quite a few shulk and when they hit at optimal range, I feel I can't hit them ever but it seems so close that I keep trying... and keep getting hit... After that I go more defensive with eggs and manage to come back. He also SD which help.

3rd game:
Pretty much the same, not very good first stock, he sd again and I manage to pull a comeback. I kept the same play style, couple eggs and really aggresive. I felt that when you are the aggresor, shulk has a harder time.

Like I said before, tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Hey guys, went to a tourney today. Here's WFs and LFs. I'd like some feedback. (Oh, you also get to see my crappy Smash 4 G&W since I didn't feel comfortable playing Yoshi on Delfino. Probably should have done it anyway.)

WFs: http://www.twitch.tv/irongamingtv/v/3669146?t=2h17m53s
LFs: http://www.twitch.tv/irongamingtv/v/3669146?t=2h51m7s
I looked mostly at WF, I think you need to work on your punish. A lot of the times, especially against bowser, you had a great read or he was charging forward smash and you punished with an egg. Punishing with egg is okay... but you should do better. The egg is the safe option, almost every move in yoshi's arsenal does more damage than eggs. Against bowser, since hes huge, I would have loved for you to sh down air on him to punish... thats 30% !! punish instaed of 4/8 damage from egg. Forward air does 12-14% if i remember which is still safe and does more damage, you can also stage psike him and get follow up.

I would say that you would have won easily with better punish since it happened quite often in the fight. Against pit it was less common since hes a faster character.

for LF: Battlefield is the worst stage for yoshi imo, i don't know why you didnt ban it. Eggs get stopped by platforms with SH a ;pt, you cant full hop double egg or full hop double fair, you can't down B on most of the stage. Ban that **** :p

Other than that, well played. You do a lot of neutral air that i try to incorporate in my game and its really good. Your egg game is good as well, good aim overall. I think you do the same mistake as me though, you get hit a lot while trying to throw eggs, we should be more safe with our egg throw :p

shapular

Smash Ace
I looked mostly at WF, I think you need to work on your punish. A lot of the times, especially against bowser, you had a great read or he was charging forward smash and you punished with an egg. Punishing with egg is okay... but you should do better. The egg is the safe option, almost every move in yoshi's arsenal does more damage than eggs. Against bowser, since hes huge, I would have loved for you to sh down air on him to punish... thats 30% !! punish instaed of 4/8 damage from egg. Forward air does 12-14% if i remember which is still safe and does more damage, you can also stage psike him and get follow up.

I would say that you would have won easily with better punish since it happened quite often in the fight. Against pit it was less common since hes a faster character.
I'm so scared of the forward smash though. Its range is pretty deceptive and I don't know exactly how far it goes. I actually didn't think of dair for some reason though. I think he has enough lag after fsmash for it to work if I wait it out. I'll work on it. There were a lot of times when I wanted to up smash out of shield and did a grab or something instead. My execution has been horrible on that lately so I need to work on that too.

for LF: Battlefield is the worst stage for yoshi imo, i don't know why you didnt ban it. Eggs get stopped by platforms with SH a ;pt, you cant full hop double egg or full hop double fair, you can't down B on most of the stage. Ban that **** :p

Other than that, well played. You do a lot of neutral air that i try to incorporate in my game and its really good. Your egg game is good as well, good aim overall. I think you do the same mistake as me though, you get hit a lot while trying to throw eggs, we should be more safe with our egg throw :p
I like BF. It's good for extending utilt to uair strings. I'd much rather play on it than Lylat which seems to block eggs even more and has the tiny ledge which makes me uncomfortable with Yoshi's recovery (gotta practice that stage I guess) or Castle Siege with the tiny first transformation.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
That was both silly and sad to see.
off topic unless you wanna move the discussion to the social, but how's progress on HW?
I'm dropping a video today. It's going slow. Game is looooong. Didn't realize

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Yeah if you intend to 100% it, including DLC, it's very long. Think I'm gonna hit 270 hours soon and not even half done with twilight princess map.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Hey guys,

I played Nairo on stream today.
He didn't play his mains and I ended up winning the Bo3 to my surprise :)

Any tips would be appreciated.
http://www.twitch.tv/nairomk/b/608345492

Fight start at 10:32 in his stream time or 3:50:50 video time.

He played Peach, shulk, shulk.
I should have won the 2nd game as well but i miss input side+B instead of down B. He even said at that moment "im dead" lol fml :p

Own commentary:
Overall play: Im doing double forward air A LOT and dont do much variation in my play like I usually do. I think my nerves + the fact that it was working, made me feel i didnt need to mix it up. In my usual match i throw more eggs and a bit more egg lay. I'm trying to incorporate Down B as a punish when I get reads because it does a **** tons of damage.

First game:
I get a really good lead early and have a hard time getting the kill. Against good opponent, I have a hard time killing them because you never find an opening for Down B and running upsmash can get you punish pretty hard on block. They usually dodge Fair spike or double fair approaches as well.

2nd game:
I get BODIED early. I played quite a few shulk and when they hit at optimal range, I feel I can't hit them ever but it seems so close that I keep trying... and keep getting hit... After that I go more defensive with eggs and manage to come back. He also SD which help.

3rd game:
Pretty much the same, not very good first stock, he sd again and I manage to pull a comeback. I kept the same play style, couple eggs and really aggresive. I felt that when you are the aggresor, shulk has a harder time.

Like I said before, tips are greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I spat out my drink when you egg rolled game 2 lmao. I said in my head he's dead at the same time Nairo did, and then an eggroll happened. Okay well first off, if you don't feel super confident in fighting shulk head on, just camp out his buster mode. Eggs make it pretty easy to do tbh. Work in some b reverse egglays because his hitboxes are long, but laggy enough so that he can't actually spot dodge or airdodge them if you time well. Dash Grab and Dash Attack should be your go to punish if he's spacing optimally. Eggs are pretty safe in this matchup.

Dunno what to say about the peach game. I literally know nothing about her, but I felt like you weren't playing it right. Then again I felt like he wasn't playing it right either soooo eh.

As for general things you should work on, you kinda just fair a lot even when it doesn't make any sense. He got a lot of free damage off of it because they were so telegraphed. Mixup the ways you get onto the stage more. Real talk, regular ledge getup is op. The punish window is so small the only reliable way to beat it out is grab. Don't do it too much because anyone with a kill throw will have a field day. Work on your egg arcs! You missed some free ones. Relax more, you seemed kinda nervous.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I haven't seen many Yoshi Vs. Jigglypuff fights yet, so here's one.

Easily one of my most stressful Glory matches to date.

Last edited:

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Heya. Is there anything I could be doing better, judging from this match?

I'd love it if side B were simply removed. I've had so many SDs. @_@

I haven't seen many Yoshi Vs. Jigglypuff fights yet, so here's one.

Easily one of my most stressful Glory matches to date.
Nice Yoshi. Although in my opinion you should probably Egg Toss in neutral more, and save your Usmash as a killing blow.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Thanks for the comments. I'm definitely aware I'm over-ground pounding, and I definitely need people reminding me. It's one of my worst habits with Yoshi, and it's been very difficult to shake it off. I'm disappointed it's still noticeable enough to be mentioned (as I should be).

What are some other good options to use as an alternative to down b, and when are the most appropriate times to use it?

@ Regralht Regralht I'll watch your Yoshi when I get home from work and see if I have any advice for you then.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
What are some other good options to use as an alternative to down b, and when are the most appropriate times to use it?
You seemed to throw it out when Jiggly was right below you, which in kinda unsafe in my opinion (Yoshi Bomb is only really good for guaranteed punishes).

I'd suggest trying to use Yoshi's good air speed to get away from being above Jiggly, since her Uair can beat out Yoshi's Dair and Yoshi Bomb (well... it simply trades with Yoshi bomb. But it's still not worth it unless you're sure to get the kill). I usually just move in one direction spacing out with Nair, and if she starts to get close, I do a B-reverse Egg Lay to avoid her, or I Egg Toss.

Yoshi Bomb is a good out-of-shield option though, and it's good if you can get a read (dem shield breaks), such as what you were doing with it (a better Jiggs would've punished it though). Due to its risk, it's just one of those moves you have to be conservative with so that you aren't predictable.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I personally like using egg throw to change my trajectory and throw off my chaser. NAir and BAir are decent options depending on the angle you're being attacked from. A well timed air dodge to UpAir can be a great option and kills.

Yoshi Bomb can be ledge canceled. I like to use it as a ledge trump with a hitbox. It's also a pretty good way to recover high and get down to the ledge for some egg throw mind games. Be careful though, unlike Bowser Yoshi's ledge cancel is much harder to judge from afar.

Also, hoping to get some feedback on my video too. Not just gameplay but editing quality. I can't change the actual video quality because I've only got SD capture to work with, but if someone has some other pointers that would be awesome. I'm trying to set myself up to run an online Smash 4 tournament and upload the matches to Youtube.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS4o0wTurbE

Just a For Glory match I played a while ago. Trying to get more videos up on youtube.
It looked like you didn't know where Ganondorf was going to wind up after some of his moves, and you were out of position for a few smash punishes. Looks to me like you just need more practice against that matchup and you'll be golden. Your off-stage low recoveries were great though. Nice nair gimp at the end!

Heya. Is there anything I could be doing better, judging from this match?

I'd love it if side B were simply removed. I've had so many SDs. @_@
I lol'd at the dair > footstool. But it looks like you might be afraid to commit, and are sticking to safe moves too much. I wouldn't be surprised if your nair went stale at some point. Ganondorf's a beast and his specials are scary, but don't be afraid to pressure him.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the comments. I'm definitely aware I'm over-ground pounding, and I definitely need people reminding me. It's one of my worst habits with Yoshi, and it's been very difficult to shake it off. I'm disappointed it's still noticeable enough to be mentioned (as I should be).

@ Regralht Regralht I'll watch your Yoshi when I get home from work and see if I have any advice for you then.
Well you started out 4 for 4 landing your ground pounds. I believe you're not overusing something if it is consistently landing. With that said, you got way too over-reliant on it and ended the match landing only 5 of 13.

That's all right. We're all working on something. I'm trying to roll less.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
It looked like you didn't know where Ganondorf was going to wind up after some of his moves, and you were out of position for a few smash punishes. Looks to me like you just need more practice against that matchup and you'll be golden. Your off-stage low recoveries were great though. Nice nair gimp at the end!
Yeah I was having quite a lot of trouble spacing out the ftilts and dtilts. This was also the first Ganondorf I'd faced with Yoshi.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Well you started out 4 for 4 landing your ground pounds. I believe you're not overusing something if it is consistently landing. With that said, you got way too over-reliant on it and ended the match landing only 5 of 13.

That's all right. We're all working on something. I'm trying to roll less.
Not all of those were meant to hit the opponent. A number of them were just for getting me back to stage (but only like 3 or 4) - which is not good in most fights since it gets me punished, but since this Jiggly wasn't fast enough to punish it every time and I really didn't want to be above her, I opted to go for it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Just wanna say a few universal things that most of you guys need to break the habit for.

Stop using DownB to get back onto the stage, even if they're in the air when you're doing it they can still have enough time to fastfall and punish you.

Bair is bad, and I mean really bad. Try to avoid using that move.
Whether it's using it as if it's brawl to make them afraid to get hit by it so they wait it out and punish us because of landing lag.
Or unfortunately hitting their shield with it, the move starts hitting so slow when it gets a hit confirm it takes like a second for each tail whip to finish, so they can actually grab inbetween the hits if they felt like it.
Most people are still afraid of the first two so of course wait it out since they have loads of time to make coffee come back for a short nap and then finally punish us.

Roll Less. We have OoS options and an unpokeable shield. In brawl rolling or spotdodging was our only options if we were ever forced into shielding. But now we can actually do stuff OoS and with how stupid strong shielding is (outside of our rolls, everyone elses is good sadly) from people hitting it and everyone having more time to punish, we should really try and get used to hitting our shield button more often.
Cause I'm sure a decent number of us still don't use shield too often if you came from brawl at least.

Every throw but Uthrow is decent enough to use, dthrow isn't so much on the damage side of things but we can get cheesy Uairs on people if they don't jump away on time. Hell we might actually have Uairs on some characters at certain %'s since our DJ is so quick now. Just requires dedication to hit the lab and find out.

Egg lay/Dair more maybe since people are realizing the stupidity that is shielding/rolling so if they wanna shield all day then use our command grab, or for rolling multihit moves. Bair definitely out of the question of course, but just a thought on needing to use those two moves more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom