• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
@ Nikes Nikes Could you update this thread?

All the videos in the OP are kinda old

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Leepuff is known by you all, right? Just wondering. Also, is Yoshi's Jab 1 a hit confirm to Up Smash or is this a character specific thing? These are almost a month old and from an old stream which you all might have saw a while ago. So, Leepuff vs. Gluten's Peach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbO7fJY0wtM.

vs. Taxes's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ2B_XYTRNM.

vs Xzax's Diddy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBxxxzvoKY.
I'm aware that he's ranked on the Socal PR, but doesn't have too much videos. Hopefully he can get more vids up.

Jab 1 -> Down B/Up Smash is not guaranteed, but I guess it would be a bit reliable kill option.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
That was a pretty good combo video. Prolly need to choose some better music though.

I honestly think it's time for us to implement the next gimmick in our games, shorthop airdodge to Nair. It just somehow works, like SH ET

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
He played our best player in like 5 or so games trying his Yoshi out a couple weeks ago. From the few I saw it wasn't pretty not cause he got stomped, just wasn't too sure how to use Yoshi yet.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Finally updated the OP. Haven't added Twitch vids as of yet but for the most part it's all up to date, I'm so sorry it took so long everyone.
I might go back and add in the names of the people the Yoshi player is facing and that sort of thing so people can see more notable matches without having to click on every link fishing for a good watch.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Just woke up so not all there, I'll prolly help with more vids for other things to add later. For now Yoshi reveal and maybe the advanced section needs to be removed and add more videos for AT section.

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
I think the rushdown style of Yoshi in Smash 4 pays off a lot more than I'm ready to admit, but I will still say that you need to be more analytic in your move choices at times. You tend to get into these reflexive habits where I'll see 4 or 5 f-airs in a row, and you try to be aggressive in your landings, which is generally a bad habit in Smash 4 because of how good shield is. Get to the ledge or b-reverse to mix up your landings and reset back to neutral.
Thanks for the tips! I 100% agree with what you've said and have been fixing the "not thinking right now, better fair/nair" in later tournaments. I'll keep working on it ;)

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Tooth And Nail [Sanity Dulls Fighting Spirit]
Me (Yoshi) VS. Flippy456 (Ness)

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Hey guys! Finally got myself a video capturing device to upload my matches. I've been meaning to get constructive criticism for my Yoshi for a pretty long time now. A little background: this Villager player in the video is a dude I've been playing against for about half a year now. He's a pretty good player (trained by Master Raven, a pretty high-ranked Florida player) but half the time what gets me more than his actual playing style is his personality. He's a majorly obnoxious jerk who always likes to stress how much better he is at this game than me. Now, though I would say I'd like to be able to start besting him, I really just want to improve all-around to start competing in locals and whatnot, so any and all input is extraordinarily valued. Heck, be as cruel as you can be, just tell me how to get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJTJiaMY_5Y

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi

Enjoy, you guys :)
Great combo vid, seeing as I was a huge fan of your vids back in Brawl days it's awesome to see this stuff from you again! The intro was fantastic, making it like a character reveal trailer and everything.

Chrisgopher

Smash Cadet
Here's a nail-biter for you folks:

Also, what happened to signatures? Mine have been gone from my last 3 posts.

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Got a quick little humorous video for you guys featuring the early progress of my Yoshi :] Remember to never give up!

Rewatching this I realized just how often I was standing around doing nothing and getting hit. I'm trying to find the right balance of patience and aggression, and I'll give myself that I was frustrated as my friend was trying to time me out, but I got a lot of work to go still! Not quite as crisp as my ninja for sher

Last edited:

Mirton

Smash Rookie

Just made this. Ill be making another with my fresher combos soon. These were from like a month or 2 ago.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Here's the matches where my Yoshi got recorded in the last tourney I attended:

Winners Finals (bo3, Vs Sheik, 2nd and 3rd match) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDA2g4a6npg&list=PLeZlN3aTVYnDS1c0ALZ7q6fCQZ3NMDqx7&index=11

Grand Finals (bo5, with reset) (Vs. Captain Falcon, 1st, 3rd and 4th match):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDA2g4a6npg&list=PLeZlN3aTVYnDS1c0ALZ7q6fCQZ3NMDqx7&index=11

Please critique.

Also this MM against a Robin (not very important, but w/e)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3VKmlStfww&index=10&list=PLeZlN3aTVYnAwpaAiFbS_D3F3ltNP6J5q

Last edited:

WritersBlah

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WritersBlah999
Somewhat curious about something, considering this thread's main attractions are combo videos and tourney sets. Do you think we should make a new sticky thread exclusively for critiquing each others Yoshis? Bringing this up because we've got a queue of several people just asking for criticism (myself included) and we haven't gotten anything for a good several days.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I think a better system for getting critiques is in order. I think people get overwhelmed with the amount of videos posted, and might be choosing not to make critiques because they don't want to seem selective of who they're giving their attention to (maybe?).

I don't think an alternate thread is strictly necessary. I've been messing with this idea in my head for a while, but I was thinking of setting up a sort of critique squad. Lemme flesh it out here:

The critique squad is comprised of volunteers who:
  1. Are active on the boards.
  2. Have demonstrated themselves to be knowledgeable about Yoshi and Smash in general.
  3. Have demonstrated themselves to be able to write clearly, and to explain things well.
  4. Are nominated by other Yoshis so they may give critiques. (This is to make sure critiques are given by those who others would want critiques from).
  5. Are expected to be timely with their critiques.
Once the critique squad has been assembled, we basically just go down the list of videos asking for critiques, and members of the squad take turns critiquing the videos. This way, there is no perceived selection bias, and people can still get their critiques.

Slush causes good ideas edit: If a member of the squad feels inadequately knowledgeable for a certain critique, they can defer to next in line (or pick someone they may think would be especially good for the job), and simply pick up on the next video.

Example: Critique Squad of Me, Celes, and Slush. Yoshi main A posts a video asking for critique, it falls to me to do so. Then Yoshi mains B and C post asking for help, so Celes gets B and Slush gets C. If another video comes in, it'd loop back around to me.

Ideally, the squad would be large enough to handle the influx of videos. We might need to restrict how many sets people ask for help with at once to prevent the squad from getting swamped.

Would this sound okay to you all? I personally would volunteer to lead it, and I'd nominate Slush, Nikes, Celes, Shado Chimera, and Dren (off the top of my head) to also join the squad.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'd help, just usually hard for me to write a wall of text of stuff if it's in an area I have no experience in.

Like if it's Yoshi vs Robin you won't see anything from me. But Yoshi vs Sonic or Pikachu you'll get a dictionary.

ChiKn

Smash Rookie
I posted this is Question and Answer thread looking for some advice but in retrospect that was the wrong place to post. I'll copy paste my message here:

Hey guys. I'm brand new to the forums and I'm looking for some advice. I'm trying to make a name for myself in NorCal and break into the Power Rankings.

Heres a match I played at Surf City Slam yesterday against PHO Mocha's Sonic:

I'm not looking for matchup advice against Sonic, I learned a lot from our set and I played a few friendlies and I think I can beat him next time I play him in bracket. I'm hoping if any of you Yoshi's could comment on my mannerisms and habits and how I can improve. I'm thinking about switching my controls from C-Stick smash to attack for better DI during aerials and wavebouncing B's.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'd help, just usually hard for me to write a wall of text of stuff if it's in an area I have no experience in.

Like if it's Yoshi vs Robin you won't see anything from me. But Yoshi vs Sonic or Pikachu you'll get a dictionary.
I suppose I should add in a deferral clause, so that if someone feels like they couldn't give a great critique, they could switch spots with someone temporarily. It wouldn't be a problem at all, really.

Fiddlestix

Smash Rookie
hey hi :3c

i'm super new and i don't imagine the lot of you particularly enjoy toaster quality montages but in case any of you were in the mood for some yoshi silliness

hope this doesn't break any rules or anything haha oops
hope you fellas enjoy c:

Last edited:
Top Bottom