• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Theater: video thread

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Only one set of my Yoshi was recorded from Sampex 2 and guess what it's of yoshi losing

Vs Sonic -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28zFNFkcEsI&list=PLeZlN3aTVYnBc5pvLWvoEGLUMjPWJVKzE&index=9

I felt sorry for the people watching that set.

Also, in the last match, I was sick of the MU already and just started to do brainless stuff like dash attacking in his shield.

I had really interesting matchs in the losers bracket, but they weren't recorded unfortunately.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Having some hard data that Yoshi actually, y'know, wins sometimes is important for his validation as a character.
Sure, but I'm not seeing any shortage of videos where he wins. The stream I posted has a bunch.

It also serves as references for what DEFINITELY works in MUs as a baseline.
Not at all, that assumes that both players are playing the matchup optimally, and unless it's Apex finals they probably aren't. Rather than who wins, what is generally most important is to have the highest-level of play we can find. Sure, if we have high-level play and Yoshi wins, that's great, it may give us evidence that Yoshi wins that matchup, but even if he loses we can still break down the footage and see where he did well and where he did poorly. There's a reason that competitive players find it so useful to analyse their own losses (even moreso than their wins in many cases).

Icebound

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1650-2557-8575
Only one set of my Yoshi was recorded from Sampex 2 and guess what it's of yoshi losing

Vs Sonic -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28zFNFkcEsI&list=PLeZlN3aTVYnBc5pvLWvoEGLUMjPWJVKzE&index=9

I felt sorry for the people watching that set.

Also, in the last match, I was sick of the MU already and just started to do brainless stuff like dash attacking in his shield.

I had really interesting matchs in the losers bracket, but they weren't recorded unfortunately.
That was really good play! The Sonic MU has always given me trouble. I really like how in the first game you got two Dairs off the ledge for max damage. Something new for me to learn :)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Sure, but I'm not seeing any shortage of videos where he wins. The stream I posted has a bunch.
You're still one of the worst people to argue with.
Anyways, it took only 50+ videos for like 5 videos of Yoshi winning to happen.
And it was against people who literally had no idea how Yoshi worked, even the commentators didn't know what the hell they were saying.

Two of which the matches were Dittos, a MU where whoever throws out their moves the most wins trades.

Not at all, that assumes that both players are playing the matchup optimally, and unless it's Apex finals they probably aren't. Rather than who wins, what is generally most important is to have the highest-level of play we can find.
Thing is, more than half the losing matches of Yoshi players aren't actually all that good.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Thing is, more than half the losing matches of Yoshi players aren't actually all that good.
That's a legitimate complaint. There's not much point posting videos where the Yoshi players aren't very good. I posted that stream because that's some of the best Yoshi play I've seen.

And it was against people who literally had no idea how Yoshi worked, even the commentators didn't know what the hell they were saying.

Two of which the matches were Dittos, a MU where whoever throws out their moves the most wins trades.
Presumably the players at least knew how he worked in the Ditto. Also, tbh I didn't think the players they were playing against were all that bad. Poor commentary is a possibility though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So far I watched the match with Nicole vs the Yoshi, and let's just say it was bad.
The commentators said she knows the MU. But the way she played it, it honestly didn't seem like she did.

Yoshi vs Pit/Mario was meh, felt like even skilled, but nothing too amazing. Still felt like they didn't know how Yoshi worked and tried some customs hoping it'd help them against Yoshi.
I love when Mario mains use fludd on us as if it'll gimp us. Thanks for the bath.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
So far I watched the match with Nicole vs the Yoshi, and let's just say it was bad.
The commentators said she knows the MU. But the way she played it, it honestly didn't seem like she did.

Yoshi vs Pit/Mario was meh, felt like even skilled, but nothing too amazing. Still felt like they didn't know how Yoshi worked and tried some customs hoping it'd help them against Yoshi.
I love when Mario mains use fludd on us as if it'll gimp us. Thanks for the bath.
I forgot about the Nicole matchup. I do agree on that one, she didn't seem to know what to do. The Pit player made a decent effort though.

Fludd can gimp Yoshi, but only if he lacks his double jump. I think one of the most important parts of playing the Yoshi MU for other characters is to watch whether he has his jump or not, since that's so vital to his survivability. I try to give that advice to other people when they ask about how to fight him.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
In order of the posted date and from kousetsukitsune's channel. I think these are all friendlies and from streams. Yes... Unfortunately, Yoshi loses in these videos...

Paige's Yoshi vs. LuminareFox's Ike: [1] and [2]. Paige started off strong in the first match, but dropped it at the end which sucks since it seemed like a close game and match 2 seemed like a demoralized Paige fighting at the beginning. Doesn't this happen to DK Will sometimes? I remember that people said Will can get demoralized easily, so I guess Paige and Will are more momentum players instead of clutch players who get better when the situation gets worse for them.

Sean's Yoshi vs. LuminareFox's Wii Fit Trainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2o1SdV3AfM. Uh, what? Did Yoshi's Bair miss WFT during her Up Smash at 0:13? Z-axis dodge or something? Sean and probably not-Diddy player Sean from Cali is aggressive and reckless... That unfortunate SD when he used his second jump... He probably would have won if he didn't lose that stock and was much more careful while still being aggressive.

Daniel's Yoshi vs. LuminareFox's Ike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSffsqBuaGk. Not exactly what you'd call good gameplay, especially with that Egg Toss in the beginning. So, a don't do this against Ike or anyone aka "How Not to Play Yoshi" video?

Edit: Bonz's Yoshi seems to be improving: vs. GimR's Falco: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcYFACGR1bo. The unfortunate SDs in the second match...

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
Hi guys. Just gonna share an online match where I'm using Yoshi's Egg Launch custom. Pacman is using Freaky Fruit and the fire hydrant with flames.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not a lot of Yoshi at Come on and Ban #11. There's Cap Ting Falcon's Yoshi and Captain Falcon vs. Andy_Sauro's Bowser Jr.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poSNRWzNL88.

And Rice's Yoshi and Fox vs. CrispyTacoz's Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV4l1u7fRNU. Let's see, I think, but I'm not sure, Rice mains Dr. Mario and/or is considered the best known Dr. Mario, then he has Fox and Marth, he also plays Mario and played Greninja, I think Ganondorf and Bowser, and now, Yoshi. Don't expect him to know everything which was the same with Greninja, so he's just playing through raw skill like how ZeRo does with whatever character he decides to go through For Glory matches or for match commentaries.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't know, maybe something like S@X. We can catch their streams, but I don't know what days they do it.

Timbers

check me out
Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
From the Puerto Rican scene and from Team Ragnarok: some Yoshi videos.

Shambles's Yoshi and Ness vs. Orlie Noob's ZSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8s83bcUOcZY.

Gotigod's Yoshi vs. Shadow's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laR_SIVE_fo.

Xeon's Yoshi vs. EKING's Mario: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULSjCxizAiA.

Xeon's Yoshi vs. Excel_Zero's Sheik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8iLLI0PkJI.

Xeon's Yoshi vs. Kraven's Fox (Winners Finals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKdN10y6qcE.

Xeon's Yoshi vs. Kraven's Fox (Grand Finals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCYKpaTwrPw.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I just realized that Puerto Rican tournament was best of 3 for Finals... Wow.
The whole tournament is worth the watch. There's awesome fights of a Triple D, Fox, Mega Man, Falco, Lucario, Marth, and more. It's just Team Ragnarok's the only streamer from what @Charls said and you can thank @ Locuan Locuan for telling me they're a Puerto Rican Smash scene. Kraven's Fox is just awesome because of how aggressive it is and since I haven't seen Yoshidora yet, Xeon's a fantastic Yoshi. Manny Manito's Falco jukes around with backwards short hops and Rizu's Triple D's Gordon use is trap-based and he does pull off a hilarious grab reset on MightGalo's Fox.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Man, all those new names. Smash 4 put a lot of new people into the Puerto Rican community. Xeon for example was not present during the Brawl days as far as I know and it's the first time I've ever heard of him. And he got second.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Well let's start by saying Yoshi's attacks do not have super armor.
And even if he racks up damage fast he can't land the kill on anybody that isn't a huge heavy character.

Around 12 mins in, said something about approaching. People who actually main Yoshi goes in because he has no approach options and relying on short hop egg toss gimmicks isn't good since we can get easily punished (by the more smarter players or top players, Yoshi's a scrub beater hence FG is good for beginners playing him) but our main way of approaching is basically SH egg toss and hope it lands to have gimmicky follow ups or just throwing out our small buffed in range fair since we lost our pivot grab and Bair to use to wall/zone people out.

That and distance when grounded egg tosses doesn't have the arcs Brawl did so it doesn't go as far and reason why SH ET is a thing now since the eggs drop lower than Brawl's and new mobility when using it.

Not too sure what you meant by help, help critique what I said that's right or wrong? Your Play?
If the latter, I'm not sure what to say outside of use less Dash attack and grounded egg tosses. More egglay and no short hop dair or bair since horrible landing lag.

If Former, then I said a couple things that were wrong or filled the holes in what you said at times, but didn't watch entire thing to add anymore.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
vs Sheik 3-1 bracket reset
This was already posted in the sheik MU thread, but I figured I should post it here as well. Surprisingly I did well here. I need to remember to not panic air dodge after the dthrow and instead dj out.

vs Rosalina 0-3 ;(
I really despise this matchup because of grav pull and disjoints. Egg lay doesn't do much here because luma grows, so egg launch would've been better had customs been on. Looking back at the match I should've capitalized in killing Luma whenever I had the chance and probably change stages (Luma got saved by SV platform twice ;_; ). Where should we take Rosa anyway if FD is banned?

Last edited:

Doublenickels

Smash Cadet
NNID
IamDoublenickels
Hi guys, I'm looking for a little advice on my Yoshi. I live in kind of a remote location and don't get to many tournaments. The two wii U ones I have been to I have taken 4th and lost in loser's finals of my pool. The only videos I have are from for glory.

I already know I made some mistakes in these matches and didn't use neutral B as much as I usually do. I also probably used down B too much and roll too much.

Apologies for the crap quality, it's the best I can do with what I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b03axPZEKpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEOX25Yi-GE (I'm the black Yoshi in this one).

Any feedback is appreciated and I know I'm not as good as some of you guys, so plz no bully.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
For those wondering about how Yoshi would fight Mii Brawler: [1] , [2] and [3]. They're from Teremi's channel, but I don't know the context of whether or not they're friendlies or a tournament since I can't read Japanese.

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Here are some more videos of me playing, this time on stream, from last months tournament here in western Washington.

Yoshi vs Ness (Chibadee)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq7duCmJOGs

Yoshi vs Meta Knight / Kirby (t1mmy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RotxhYlI6OU

Just a reminder - I am Aveean in these videos. I always appreciate some critique, because I am really trying to get better.
I think the rushdown style of Yoshi in Smash 4 pays off a lot more than I'm ready to admit, but I will still say that you need to be more analytic in your move choices at times. You tend to get into these reflexive habits where I'll see 4 or 5 f-airs in a row, and you try to be aggressive in your landings, which is generally a bad habit in Smash 4 because of how good shield is. Get to the ledge or b-reverse to mix up your landings and reset back to neutral.

Good hair, tho.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Imma start off with a couple points right off the bat from first 10 seconds of the match.

You're playing Yoshi still as if it's Brawl. Dair has too much landing lag and not really a good move to use anyways no matter who is on the ground, Bair isn't able to autocancel off a short hop anymore, quite literally almost all your landings is downb or dair, and using grounded egg toss too much.

Sure Delta and I go off on the whole SH ET gimmick and how everyone is falling for it, but we all adapted to the SH ET because grounded egg toss doesn't go as far as brawl's arcs anymore and the eggs while in the air go down much more than Brawl's. So it's good but what him and I argue is that people never punish by simply running under us and then people who fight Yoshi complain about how safe and broken Yoshi is without ever trying anything.

Rant aside, you're kinda playing right by trying to get rid of Luma, but you're also forgetting he exists and getting hit by him constantly even after using egglay, using DownB to get back to stage, landing dairs, or even just running past him thinking you're safe still. Just use eggs till he has enough % to be knocked in the air or if you're feeling risky enough, DA is a good way to get rid of luma.
Never challenge Rosa if you're above her, both halos and luma's hit outprioritize pretty much anything we try.

>That backair is virtually unpunishable
Your commentators are pretty silly btw

Last edited:

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
We're all still getting on the Sm4sh train. I've played PM with the Rosalina player and I kinda know his rolls, habits and junk and tried to punish those but yeah I did go for 2nd rate options a bit too much. Rosa's priority did catch me off guard, I'll keep that in mind. Btw, the streamer dudes are also new to smash in general so some silliness is allowed right? ;)

Here's a game 3. I should'a posted it sooner but w/evzz.
http://www.twitch.tv/hsusmash/c/6423951?t=2h33m1s
Fox having double recovery is some ol' bull **** tho.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
We're all still getting on the Sm4sh train.
Btw, the streamer dudes are also new to smash in general so some silliness is allowed right? ;)
I wouldn't know.

Dunno if I wanna give advice that's basically gonna be the same stuff I said in the rosalina post outside of involving the character/luma of course.
Mostly cause the fox player's movement and playstyle is as if he knows smash4 fox already while just doing whatever move he feels like tossing out against you.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
We're all still getting on the Sm4sh train. I've played PM with the Rosalina player and I kinda know his rolls, habits and junk and tried to punish those but yeah I did go for 2nd rate options a bit too much. Rosa's priority did catch me off guard, I'll keep that in mind. Btw, the streamer dudes are also new to smash in general so some silliness is allowed right? ;)

Like Slush said above, limit your usage of down b and dair landings, they are highly punishable. SH bair should also be used sparingly, the ending lag is bleh. You have a habit of being Smash attack happy, as well as doing grounded down b. Try to instead use jab/tilts more and use smash attacks when you know they're guaranteed to hit. OoS nair is a great option for yoshi against fox or any character that attacks unsafely on shield so try incorporate that as well as egg lays, primarily B-reversals.

I enjoy watching sets of Yoshidora, he just makes that SH air dodge meta look so viable. He also pulls off a lot of ETS onto the edge, which I need to start doing more frequently as well.

---
vs. FSLink (Mario) Fast fireball, shocking cape, scalding fludd.

The only match I got recorded last tourney. I don't think he was using the correct customs vs Yoshi; scalding fludd has little range, and default/breezy cape would've been better suited to reflect eggs. Fast fireball is annoying though, but I think default also would've been better.

For some reason I opted to do dash attack, a lot.. and mostly every time I did it, I got punished, dunno what I was thinking. I also tossed a whole basket full of eggs throughout the set, and struggled to get the kills. When he CP'd to BF I knew I had to change the campiness and switched to aggro, and I guess that worked to close out the set.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Hey guys, it turns out Yoshi's bouncing egg roll isn't useless after all! [LINK]

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
Hey guys, it turns out Yoshi's bouncing egg roll isn't useless after all! [LINK]
Before I see it, does that link belongs to that video showing the glitch where bouncing egg roll does 1% damage?

Top Bottom