• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
The game is about 2months old.
When did we discover DR?

Just saying. :)

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
DR is Dragonic Reverse, which was basically a wavedash type technique. It was done by cancelling a DJ aerial very close to the ground, since Yoshi's DJ in Brawl caused him to dip down slightly before actually rising. Jumping, then DJ + Aerial within a certain frame window would allow you to cancel the DJ into the ground, and you could get a slide out of it.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
I'm guessing even if we discovered a Smash 4 DR-equivalent, they'd patch it as a bug.

@ BadKarma: Draconic Reverse was a goofy name someone (probably Karamity) came up for our little wavedash-type move in Brawl. It was only moderately practical in higher level play, but it was mechanically pretty fun.

Edit: D-to-the-C with the ninja.

Last edited:

Shiri

Smash Chump
Not terribly concerned with Smash 4's lifespan unless the community does what it usually does and completely cannibalizes the game, in which case it will probably only last a couple years.

Increased focus on teams, availability of customs and taking an honest look at the traditional ruleset are the three major points that the game needs to stay lively. Thinking back, though, nobody really plays Smash bust Smashers and Smashers don't really play anything else well, so technically the game will be "fine" either way, but it would be cool to see it be really popular.

While mechanically there aren't too many things to do in the game, I think it's better that way (at least for me). There are games I can play where I can count on needing to perform excessively difficult or engaging technical feats, but I am fine with Smash not being one of them. It helps me focus on playing a larger variety of characters and learning their nuances as well as taking more time to focus on the opponent and taking more care to space and position myself instead of just being wherever and using whatever mechanic to glide/slide/zoom into the proper area/location instead.

I'm glad overall that the game doesn't play like Melee right now because even though people keep saying reads reads reads, Melee has actually gotten to the point where most scenarios are dictated by reactions. The game is so fast and the situations (generally) so limited that if the character/player combo is fast enough, they can just react to everything. I can appreciate games like that, but don't enjoy them terribly much in the long run. Outside of rolling, low blockstun and character hitboxes getting super small when touching the ground, I am very very pleased with this game. Mechanically sound (if not for lack of things to actually do LOL) and the gameplay is great with enough characters to tackle annoying matchups at no heavy risk.

I think the stages will probably be a real chokepoint for the community to get out of its own way in this game. There are plenty of awesome stages, but they're not sterile enough for most players even though they would have been fine in the 03-07 days (oddly enough, stage selection was the one thing Melee really did get 100% right). Once the people who play this game have a real hard look at how they intend to actually play the game competitively, then the game can flourish (or probz die depending on what they choose to do) at its leisure.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I'm new to Yoshi, Just thought I'd pop by because I decided to main him in sm4sh. Maybe I'm a tool for picking him cuz i know he's good, but I'm trying to be the best smasher I can, and he's fun, he seems powerfull, I'm already sort of decent at the game.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
I'm new to Yoshi, Just thought I'd pop by because I decided to main him in sm4sh. Maybe I'm a tool for picking him cuz i know he's good, but I'm trying to be the best smasher I can, and he's fun, he seems powerfull, I'm already sort of decent at the game.
Nah, with the current updates, you'd only be a tool if you chose Diddy and nobody else imo. If Diddy's just fun for you of course though, not a tool. Yoshi's great, but not OP like a lot of people think. At a higher level, Yoshi's flaws start to become relevant, and it honestly is a tough character to get really good at. I'd recommend you look up how to perform B-sticking/B-reversal/Wavebouncing, it's one of the main things with Yoshi's Up+B/Neutral B.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
ATH did you mean to say Diddy? Because I said I was with c fal, I only ask, because I wanted to know if what you where saying was true about diddy or C fal.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
ATH did you mean to say Diddy? Because I said I was with c fal, I only ask, because I wanted to know if what you where saying was true about diddy or C fal.
Lol, yeah, I meant Diddy. I meant that just because he's considered the best character in the game. I'm generally against people who say "I pick Diddy and only Diddy because he's the best", from my perspective, you should have fun with your character, or else what's the point?

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I guess that down throw is pretty ridiculous. Being at the top isn't a good place to be in this game, as the nerfs come swiftly with each patch. Watch his down throw get nerfed next patch.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Dthrow to Uair is his bread and butter, and also the only reason he's really good. I swear I'm going to lose to this alone :(

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
Dthrow to Uair is his bread and butter, and also the only reason he's really good. I swear I'm going to lose to this alone :(
EDIT: talking about Yoshi not diddy.
I personally prefer up throw to up air on heavier characters though around 100%.
Can someone explain the inputs of the reverse neutral b technique, and what it does?

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Made a biggish post about some top tier match ups with Yoshi, right here if you wanna check it out: http://smashboards.com/threads/character-competitive-impressions.367669/page-187#post-18133387

Feel free to argue/discuss/question/etc, Id love to talk about, debate, explain, whatever, Id love to know if most agree with me as well.
I lack the experience to really pass judgement, but I'm wondering what Yoshi's easy-mode options for dealing with Luma are. Is it just that we're so fast/beautiful that once we hit Luma we wreck him, or what?

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Rootin for ya Nikes. Kick that :sonic: outta here!

Edit: Commanding performance man. Think your opponent got a little over zealous and I think may have underestimated you. Really good job on dash dancing the grabs and especially punishing with the Down Bs!

Edit2: GGs against that ZSS! I loathe Halberd with that low ceiling and the claw >_>;; I find she gives me trouble, and you were going even with her. Her jabs are nasty quick, faster than Yoshi's and her laser + whip game kinda limits approaching. Great job on your placement man, you definitely would've brought it back if not for that stage.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Well, I got 2nd...why did I forget to ban Halberd :/
Anyway, $144 for Yoshi so this is a pretty good start for us. :)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I lack the experience to really pass judgement, but I'm wondering what Yoshi's easy-mode options for dealing with Luma are. Is it just that we're so fast/beautiful that once we hit Luma we wreck him, or what?
Yep, literally all of our tilts and all of our aerials aside from weak hit nair and dair (although the last hit of dair works) put Luma into special fall and Luma cant attack us right when we egg lay Rosy since the game registers it as a grab, meaning egg lay on Rosalina = easy Luma kill plus she's in the air now and her falling speed is super slow. Also, Egg toss builds up damage super easy on Luma even if Rosy blocks it, and usually after just like 4-6 eggs he dies (cant remember how much damage eggs do, but Luma has somewhere around 50 HP and after he takes that much damage just pops).

Last edited:

Steam

Smash Hero
two things

1- Lucario is top ten?

2- Lucario has no disjoints in this game, you'll find he's much easier to deal with once you realize you can walk over his moveset and stop respecting it.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Lucario is either bottom of top 10 or just barely beneath it.

The problem with going against Lucario was the fact he never died cause his Dair kept him alive so much in most matchups. Yoshi being one of em, our two main kill moves from brawl Usmash and Uair invalidated with one move in your kit.

Whether it be you living at 130+% or just the now huge hitbox of dair beating our two kill moves.

My top 10 list fer now
:4diddy:
:4sheik:/:4sonic:
:4yoshi:/:4ness:
:4fox:
:4miibrawl:
:rosalina:
:4zss:
:4pikachu:

:4duckhunt:/:4robinm:/:4shulk:/:4greninja:/:4lucario:/:4bowserjr:/:4villager:
No order if there's a slash

Steam

Smash Hero
Lucario's dair hitbox is tiny now, just go through it. You could also just bair his recovery. I think he's pretty far out of the top 10 and mid tier at best. He's really bad at killing.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Its more the fair/nair hitboxes, dair is WAY less of an issue in this game lol. Ill try and really test how good the reach is next time I fight Lucario, I did treat them as if they had quite a bit of range (and it felt like they did then), but Ill see if I can contest them or something next time.

And as for top 10 imo:
:4diddy:, :4pikachu:/:4sheik:, :4miibrawl:, :4sonic:, :4ness:/:4yoshi:, :rosalina:, :4zss:, :4lucario:/:4shulk:/:4wario:

Steam

Smash Hero
your bair should eat right through fair too. Lucario gets completely dumpstered in neutral in this game. Fox even outspaces him.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Its more the fair/nair hitboxes, dair is WAY less of an issue in this game lol. Ill try and really test how good the reach is next time I fight Lucario, I did treat them as if they had quite a bit of range (and it felt like they did then), but Ill see if I can contest them or something next time
Forgot to mention Fair lol
Also my previous post was talking about brawl lucario vs Yoshi, not Smash 4.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Any of you chumps going to APEX?

I'm obligated to ask because the one fkin year I didn't go, Bigz, Calamity and every Yoshi under the sun was there.

Watch me not go this year and hear tales of Jile, Bringer and Svampen showing up.

(If this happens, I will RAGE)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
2012 was The one and Only year of Yoshi. 2013 had Raptor lynn MX and somebody else I think and that's it. Don't think anybody attended 2014
Not sure how many will be attracted to APEX 2015 with Smash 4 this time though. I definitely not going cause not spending another 500+ for a disappointing tournament and having to do my pools finally at 12 am

Last edited:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
your bair should eat right through fair too. Lucario gets completely dumpstered in neutral in this game. Fox even outspaces him.
Bair isnt a good approach tool anymore, its autocancel is a lot laggier and no longer very safe and each hit generally hits too far for follow ups regardless. Yoshi's safe approach options are limited, he only really has nair, egg lay, and short hop egg toss that, if spaced correctly, arent pretty easily punished. Not really disagreeing with you though, if Lucario does have terribad range now, egg toss/lay should be able to handle him, just yeah, no more bair approaches lol.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I know I'm not going to Apex. I've basically decided not to go to many tournaments at all anymore, unless I know I'm making them placings. Apex has been a huge money sink for me, and it's not really worth it unless you're topping. And I live like, 1.5 hours from the venue.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Man I live in ****ing MAINE; unless they bring APEX to me, I ain't going any time soon.

Then again, they'll probably just bring APEX to me. They do that, right?

Yeah, they'll do that.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
At least you guys have Apex in the same continent D; I'd go for the experience if I could.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'd go but most all of my money is going into getting a new car/securing housing down here/christmas shopping/heading home for the holidays. I won't be making bank til february, sadly =(

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
And I live like, 1.5 hours from the venue.
Did you move within NJ? I'm not planning on going either, but it's in Secaucus now, so it's in the same county and only like 15-20 min away.

Edit: Noooooo what happened to the Yink sigs!? D:

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I still have my sig cause I don't use silly sites like photobucket imageshack or other sites that tend to break images in a couple years.

Last edited:
Top Bottom