• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It isn't, I've tried.
I think you mentioned the tree being scary or Celes for Yoshi, but honestly the only annoyance with villager is Slingshot and unable to kill him while offstage cause he just slingshots us away.

Hurts even more that villager is apparently one of the many characters in smash4 that has a killing Bthrow. Turnips are pretty gay too. Disjointed as fugg and kills/spikes whenever it feels like it.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Actually, dumb question but how do you pick up mecha koopas to throw back at him? Because they always explode when i try -n-;

AirJay

Smash Amatuer
NNID
jordaniscold
3DS FC
0877-0255-3596
@ Nikes Nikes Hold shield until it passes through you then drop shield turnaround and use jab to pick it up i feel like there is probably a easier way to do it but thats how i do it

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You could probably air dodge catch it easily. Or something like SHAD.

As for the rocket discussion, I broke it with Fsmash yesterday, but that's kind of to be expected and not that safe.

shapular

Smash Ace
Actually, dumb question but how do you pick up mecha koopas to throw back at him? Because they always explode when i try -n-;
Pretty sure you can just hit A when it's right next to you. I've never had trouble with it. You could try dash attacking if you want.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Who do you guys think would be the best secondary for Yoshi out of Zelda, Link, and Bowser Jr. and why?
The bias in me says Jr., because I second him too. As of right now, I don't see any problematic matchups for Yoshi, so the need for a secondary isn't vital for singles.

However, if Yoshi doesn't turn out to be as strong of a doubles character, then Jr. will definitely work for that.

Also, alll of the above methods work for grabbing the mechakoopa.

Sharky

Smash Master
You could probably air dodge catch it easily. Or something like SHAD.

As for the rocket discussion, I broke it with Fsmash yesterday, but that's kind of to be expected and not that safe.
So obviously we should go man mode and do it every time. I see no problem with this.

shapular

Smash Ace
To those who are playing with a Gamecube controller, how are you guys doing the jump cancelled egg toss thing? On 3DS I just rolled my thumb from Y to B and I'm using a Pro controller so I can just do the same thing, but if I end up having to switch to Gamecube controller I don't know how I'd do it consistently. I'm not fast enough to do Y to B before jumping consistently, so my ideas were either to set X to special or set one of the triggers to jump. Both of those are kind of awkward though.

Shiri

Smash Chump
However, if Yoshi doesn't turn out to be as strong of a doubles character, then Jr. will definitely work for that.
I am having trouble making Yoshi work in doubles. He needs much more precision than before and outside of eggs, he's got fewer options save teammates from varying distances. Of course he's a monster in For Glory teams, but for tournament teams, it seems like he's going to require a finer touch to really do well. Maybe I need more Egg Lay.

Also, found out something cool with Ganondorf yesterday (what a great character). Yoshi's Island is still an awesome stage because even though we don't slide down the slopes anymore, spiking aerial opponents (if not teched), seems to make the base angle for their ricochet off of the ground perpendicular to the surface they bounce off of (the normal vector, if I'm remembering high school correctly >_>). Spike someone into a slope for momentary giggles; really wish I had saved the replay. This may have limited applications, but does seem beneficial since characters that have blowbacks or spikes depending on how you hit with them (Yoshi forward air, for example) will almost always have more force behind the spike portion than the blowback, meaning you could actually score horizontal KOs easier with the spike than with the blowback, hahaha.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
To those who are playing with a Gamecube controller, how are you guys doing the jump cancelled egg toss thing? On 3DS I just rolled my thumb from Y to B and I'm using a Pro controller so I can just do the same thing, but if I end up having to switch to Gamecube controller I don't know how I'd do it consistently. I'm not fast enough to do Y to B before jumping consistently, so my ideas were either to set X to special or set one of the triggers to jump. Both of those are kind of awkward though.
If I don't switch back to Nunchuk controls, I'll have special on Z again, just like in Brawl.
Helps a ****load with every character that got Jump+B inputs for whatever reason at all.

edit: and I still think that both YI and BF are bad stages for us as the platforms destroy our whole Egg Toss game.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
There are two ways I can suggest:

1) As a leftover from Brawl, I still have my controls switched around for DR: Special is set to X and Jump is set to B. This would allow you to roll from Y to X similar to how you already do.

2) I also have R set to jump, for when I played characters who could jump OOS (like we can now!), allowing for easier USmash OOS since I keep tap jump off. This would keep your thumb free to input egg toss, while still getting the jump out.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
If I don't switch back to Nunchuk controls, I'll have special on Z again, just like in Brawl.
Helps a ****load with every character that got Jump+B inputs for whatever reason at all.

edit: and I still think that both YI and BF are bad stages for us as the platforms destroy our whole Egg Toss game.
I kind of agree, but I think BF is still okay. I'm really feeling (no :4shulk: intended) stages like Smashville and Town and City. Kongo 64 might be good too. I haven't played PS2 yet but it seems like it could be good if it's legal. How did Yoshi do on that stage in Brawl?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Why do we keep dying?
Or are we all just that busy with life (thanksgiving) and smash 4?

Anyways, gonna make a tournament results thread once it's December 5th. Once I get back from a tournament the same weekend, I'll start updating from previous months and maybe 3ds results too. Does anybody want Wii U only since it's out, or are some of you proud of your results when it was 3DS only the first few months and want the newblood to see the work you put in?

Also personally, I loved PS2 as a stage for Yoshi.

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Awesome, I personally vote for including 3DS results mostly for newbloods and so it's not empty to start with.

Also loved PS2 btw, Yoshi's mobility made the stadium stages work well for him.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I'll go back to the old days and namesearching for most results then since raptor delta etc. didn't always post their results when they got 13th/17th

Otherwise, people can start posting their stuff then.

Last edited:

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
Man, it is has been a long time since I have posted in here. I have come to seek forgiveness of my sins of giving up yoshi for ICs in Brawl, and now I dedicate my controller to the green dino once again.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
I've just been at a smash bros tourney... even though it was for wii u, there were quite a bit of people who brought their 3ds and used them as controllers, myself included.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Prolly due to the fact not many people have Wii U's cause they bought the 3ds and Smash for it (250+ most likely) so why go out of the way to spend another 250 for Wii U and Smash 4 for that system.

If not that, then it's the obvious shortage of wii u adapters since most of em were in the $100 bundles which would've meant 310+ for Wii U and that bundle.

Yoshiken96

Smash Journeyman
I can vouch for not having enough money for a Wii - U or the game for it. I still don't know how I am going to overcome that financial hurdle AND get a GC controller adapter afterwards. I need a better job and less bills.

noxmiles

Smash Rookie
NNID
noxmiles
3DS FC
2277-6865-5200
heh, I already have the console. I would get the game, but I got other priorities that gotta be settled first. Indeed, the 3ds version would be good enough for now, but the game on the wii u's gorgeous :o

I've heard about the shortage on adaptors. Guess its true o.o Its funny - I actually have an off-brand gamecube controller adapter (it connects to the wiimote and makes the console think I'm using a classic controller pro). got it like a year or two ago in anticipation for smash 4 wii u, thinking that nintendo wouldnt release an official adapter lol

Last edited:

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Good luck with that, they're going on ebay for like $200 now :s Thank goodness you can order from Nintendo.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Order from Nintendo? Where?
Everytime I've gone to the site it just gives me links to gamestop and best buy.

Also I still looking for GC adapter too, I have a tournament this weekend and I have not played the game since the first 3 days of release. Don't think Imma do too well lol.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Apparently from their customer service number. (Phone, not online sadly)
Idk too much on this but apparently they'll probably take from 5-10 days to ship though.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Man I been on hold fer like 15 or so minutes, and from what I was told they did that for a couple days (or did that a couple days, dunno he was talking lower than I do lol) and they have none to buy and any that they do get they send to stores immediately.
Again only option being look at other sites or preorder at a gamestop, oh well.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Heya, so I'm gonna be posting this here and in the Theater thread. This was a combo I got on a random viewer who was playing Little Mac, it's more entertaining than realistic, as he wasn't very great. I just thought it was awesome bringing someone to 80% like this.

Apologies for the crappy twitch to youtube quality, but yeah, this is what I have. :3

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Not bad, but that was one of the worst Little Macs I've seen. XD As for the GC adapter, I was pretty appalled when Best Buy had a couple dozen GC controllers on launch day but quickly sold out of adapters. I had them order me one on launch day and it came in less than a week.

Charu

Smash Cadet
Did he just side b off the stage, wowowowowowow.

Also hey guys, first time poster but been lurking. I've picked up Yoshi when Smash4 hit the 3DS and have been using him ever since including the Wii U smash. Hopefully if I stick around I'll see some cool tricks and more ways to play!

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Nice, we always need fresh Yoshi's here.
The current ones are getting old and confused! 8D

Shiri

Smash Chump
These Minecraft ads can eat infinite donkey dong

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Anyone else concerned about the longevity of Smash 4? It took me so long to master DR in Brawl that I always felt like I had ways to improve technically. In Smash 4, there really isn't much to do in the training room. Fortunately, wifi is bearable, or there wouldn't be much to do up here in the forest.

Depster

Smash Champion
It'll probably be like melee right now where everyone can do everything and it's all reads and capitalizing on combos.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yeah, but Melee is still a technical game right from the start. It takes months of practice just to be able to move around the stage adequately. Smash 4 is so simple, and they seem intent on patching out anything that can be construed as an advanced technique.

Top Bottom