• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Steam

Smash Hero
Bair isnt a good approach tool anymore, its autocancel is a lot laggier and no longer very safe and each hit generally hits too far for follow ups regardless. Yoshi's safe approach options are limited, he only really has nair, egg lay, and short hop egg toss that, if spaced correctly, arent pretty easily punished. Not really disagreeing with you though, if Lucario does have terribad range now, egg toss/lay should be able to handle him, just yeah, no more bair approaches lol.
just eat lucario, 100-0 matchup.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Did you move within NJ? I'm not planning on going either, but it's in Secaucus now, so it's in the same county and only like 15-20 min away.

Edit: Noooooo what happened to the Yink sigs!? D:
Oh ****, I didn't even notice because I didn't think I'd care.

I'd be down to go then, because that's pretty friggin' good. Although I'd still probably spend most of the time at my house, unless the venue was really that amazing.

Regardless, I can't go cuz I'll be back in Chicago by the time it rolls around. Maybe one day I can host the Yoshis once more...

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I know, it's awfullllll
Imo what matters most is whether or not we can actually get kills on Lucario. Sure, egg lay might body him if his range is garbage, but Yoshi has a really hard time confirming kills on anyone who is even remotely floaty, and since Lucario has quite a few landing options, sure we can egg lay him for days, but we cant always reliably get kills out of it. I can definitely see us beating Lucario assuming he has piss poor range, but I cant see it being a landslide unless we have some way to actually finish him off, otherwise Aura means 1-3 hits or reads from Lucario can easily turn the game around.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Imo we have a harder time confirming kills against super fast fallers than super floaty characters. I feel like not being able to get down that fast is kind of a crutch with us unless you have some sort of stall like multiple jumps. Lucario being one of these because of dair.

Now his range is annoying and we lost one of our approaches, but the fact that we can run up and shield now means i don't think his range will be NEARLY as bad as brawl where powershields couldn't even get us to neutral position.

Steam

Smash Hero
Lucario has pretty poor range now though. He has no disjoints anymore. But he's a lot better with momentum than he was in brawl.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Lucario only exists to give furries a completely unwarranted ego boost.

I rate Lucario players creepy out of 10.

I rate Lucario stupid out of ridiculous.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Lucario isn't bad per say. His scaling with aura is strong as hell though. The penalty for being in the lead should be stronger to off set this, or they should tone his aura scaling down a tad. Outside of that, I guess he's fine enough.

FlutteringYosh

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow Yoshi mains :D Decided to make an account to chat with you guys.
Smash 4 is my first experience within the franchise, and since Yoshi is my favorite character, I decided to pick him up as my main.
I've mained him since the release of the American version of Ssb4. I really want to learn how to use him as well as all of you :) Hopefully I can get some videos posted sometime so I can get critiques. Can't seem to get my game to the next level.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Hey man, welcome! And nice character choice, Yoshi is a super solid character in this game, not to mention hes ****ing adorable.

Last edited:

Depster

Smash Champion
Double post of ftw! I'll be going to a smash 4 tourney on the 20th! It's at night do ican actually go =0

NoConn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkstar1120
I picked up Yoshi because he fits well with my play style. I started Smash 4 trying to main Kirby (Hah) and failing miserably. A friend recommended Yoshi, comparing him to a "faster, quirkier Mario". After that it was love at first sight. His dash attack, neutral Aand down B captivated my interested and drove me to learn more.

Melodramatics aside, he is fun to play and people don't expect him. Plus he comes in a nice shade of blue.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
By hopefully Sunday instead of Monday, gamestops in my town and most likely everywhere will restock on gamecube adapters. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to net one and not have to walk 5 minutes to the one across from me and see a line protruding a mile from the gamestop.

Now I can finally play on Wii U instead of smashfests in my town that still do 3DS!

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Has anyone here done extensive training with a Yoshi Amiibo? I was hoping to ask about what experiences you might have had with it, as I'm trying to train one myself.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Sonicbrawler. I got no clue. Sorry man, haven't done a thing with amiibos myself.

Also, hi people! This seems like the place to introduce myself, so I'll do just that. I'm a South Florida player who's lurked around smashboards for a bit, got into competitive smash in July, came from Marvel and Mortal Kombat, always played lowtier there. Mediocre Ivysaur player in PM at my local scene, but wildly into Sm4sh.

First game I ever used Yoshi, and I'm in love. I'm the Yoshi guy at our local scene, but since folks like 8BitMan and Esam are regulars, the competition is hard, and I don't do too great against guys like them.

I'm excited to finally have a top10 or possibly top5 character, and B-reversed lick is brutal (nice not worrying about shields, I was always free to a good shield game with Ivy). I look forward to improving my game here, and in turn maybe helping out some people with anything I find :D.

Last edited:

Depster

Smash Champion
By hopefully Sunday instead of Monday, gamestops in my town and most likely everywhere will restock on gamecube adapters. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to net one and not have to walk 5 minutes to the one across from me and see a line protruding a mile from the gamestop.

Now I can finally play on Wii U instead of smashfests in my town that still do 3DS!
Dang, thanks for the heads up!!

NoConn

Smash Rookie
NNID
Darkstar1120
@ ChikoLad ChikoLad

I recently bought an Amiibo myself and i'd be happy to answer any questions you have about it.

There is already a load of responses and other uses experiences posted on the Yoshi character discussion board, but by experience has differed a bit from most of the ones posted there.

I found myself able to teach my Yoshi the fairly simple "Egg toss into spike down into up a" combo and was happy to see him execute it correctly a few times.

Jecux

Smash Cadet
I just got my Yoshi-amiibo but unfortunately I don't own the whole console yet. I'm definitely going to order one with Smash after my finals!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So I was planning to walk over to gamestop to find out if they had them but thankfully remembered I have their phone number. Upon calling they told me they had no gamecube adapters.

And just like that my christmas was ruined. Gamecube adapter never.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
So I was planning to walk over to gamestop to find out if they had them but thankfully remembered I have their phone number. Upon calling they told me they had no gamecube adapters.

And just like that my christmas was ruined. Gamecube adapter never.
RIP your hopes and dreams.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I went last week and they told me the 15th and that they would be getting them last Friday but because Nintendo gave them Best buy etc. a date of when to sell em all they would do them 14th if they felt like it or 15th. But they don't even have them instock so yah

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
So what is generally regarded as the best button layout for a Yoshi player on the GC controller? I just have tap jump off and everything else untouched since that is what I am used to. That puts my thumb to work, though, with jump, attack, and specials on the face buttons. I was considering trying jump as A or R.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
The old way for some Yoshi mains in Brawl to DR was setting B to Jump. Since we don't have DR anymore keeping B as special is fine still but another thing/replacement back then we used was X for special.

For me it was having X and R as special but lately since I first tried Smash 4 with GC controller I have pretty much everything back to normal except tap jump off and X for special still.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Yeah, it was a weird adjustment going back to standard controls. I had B & R as jump and X as special in Brawl.

Now I just use default with tap jump off, because I'm too lazy to learn to play well with it on.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Pardon me for not knowing much, Smash 4 is my only experience with Yoshi, but what would be the benefit of switching around the controls like that?

Not being snarky, just curious and my question came out weird.

Shiri

Smash Chump
Switching controls used to have a benefit. There is no benefit anymore (besides comfort), so play the controls that fit you best.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
If you seperate the Jump - and the Special buttons from another so that they are pressed by different fingers, you can ETS more easily.

I still got Special on Z from Brawl, won't change that.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I like having special as X because it allows me to cover Jump/Special/Attack inputs all at the same time, since my thumb can rest over Y/A/X at the same time. It's nice.

But this is totally just a roll-over from Brawl, when the DR setup was still in use. I just haven't switched away, as I think it still has plenty of benefit.

Top Bottom