• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Wait, were your findings percentage based? If so, that kind of changes stuff I (and maybe we all?) know about the move.
Well, I probably know the least about Yoshi's physics among those here, and I also was labbing with my foot and elbow on one gamecube controller and my hands on another, not the easiest thing, but I got to test some with my bro today, and here's what I found.

Yoshi's Lick will let Rosalina dair with Luma, if she mashes hard it may whiff, the dair actually going into the stage. But it's easy enough for Rosa to eyeball. This is at low percents up to FOREVER. I blame my misinformation on my feet and lack of labbing buddy.

Sorry for the false alarm.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Well, I probably know the least about Yoshi's physics among those here, and I also was labbing with my foot and elbow on one gamecube controller and my hands on another, not the easiest thing, but I got to test some with my bro today, and here's what I found.

Yoshi's Lick will let Rosalina dair with Luma, if she mashes hard it may whiff, the dair actually going into the stage. But it's easy enough for Rosa to eyeball. This is at low percents up to FOREVER. I blame my misinformation on my feet and lack of labbing buddy.

Sorry for the false alarm.
Ah, that's what I figured. No worries about the alarm, it'd be a pretty interesting revelation if anything.

By Lick, you mean Egg Lay, right? Not the custom?

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Yeah, I meant standard Yoshi Neutral B. I've messed with absolutely no customs, our arcade doesn't use them so I don't :p

Last edited:

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Don't know if this should go into the Tip of the Tounge thread or if anyone knows it yet, but I was messing on Battlefield when I found out something.
Basically, if you jump through the plataforms and use Yoshi's Egg Roll when almost touching them (at the top of his short hop), Yoshi doesn't bounce off the ground like he normally does and starts rolling immediatly. I think this works on every stage with plataforms, but I got to test it out. It's pretty useful for keeping momentum.

Only works on plataforms though, I still haven't being able to pull it out on solid ground successfully. Again, pardon me if this is already known, but I didn't hear about it anywhere.

Another edit: So far, seems to work anywhere so long as you get the correct height. Any place that's more elevated than Yoshi works. (Say, the higher patch of grass in the Paper Mario stage)

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This was a thing in brawl too but it wasn't really useful in that game.
Might have some neat perks in Smash 4 only because we can make our eggroll not go off platforms and we can do silly stuff like this since we're able to jump out of eggroll now.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Can we still grab release Ness? If not, it still probably puts him in an unfavorable position at the least where you can throw eggs and bait something.
Good egg lay punishes btw Dren, he must've been scared in his socks inside that egg :p

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Yeah we both play each other often so I wasn't to happy sending him to losers :( He hard read my DJ when he spawned and I lost a stock cause of it. Right now its my crew is on, I think we're all gonna eliminate each other haha.

Yeah egg lay punish is ridiculous this game. But he knew what to do after playing me so much :p

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Can we still grab release Ness? If not, it still probably puts him in an unfavorable position at the least where you can throw eggs and bait something.
Good egg lay punishes btw Dren, he must've been scared in his socks inside that egg :p
There are no real grab release followups on Ness (at least for now),
as he no longer suffers from the longer than usual grab release
from Brawl, which is good, because that was a lame vulnerability.
Kind of like Yoshi's former inability to jump out of shield.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I feel a lot more comfortable with 3ds controls, my new gc controller still needs to be broken in @_@ I switched after I lost a match and brought it back with the 3ds, dang still shaking..

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I feel that I can Oos Usmash easier and control my eggs better. I think I'll up again on stream soon vs my crewmate LethalTrilogy, weee

Edit: okay maybe after these guys play their set

Edit2: on now

Last edited:

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Yup that's us. Currently making my way through losers xp. Sad though that the brawl community is pretty much dead

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Time to derail conversations!

So I finally got to play this game with one of my practice buddies today. It was my first time playing against someone high level, as well as my first time needing to actually learn to Yoshi in this game. Got about 6 hours of straight grind in.

I really hate Yoshi's new Bair. It makes me angry and I SD'd like, 3 or 4 times by failing to buffer inputs/using it in the wrong place because OH MY GOD THE END LAG WHY. Plus it's not even that strong. Geez.

On the flipside, I really love his Fair/Dair now. Fair feels so GOOD. And Dair, with the reduced SDI impact, is incredible if you catch someone with it. It's ending/landing hitboxes even make it okayish on hit, but I'm willing to trade percent with Yoshi in most cases. I ended a match by getting my buddy above me on BF's lower platforms, empty SHing, landing, then Full Hop Dairing his shield to pop it. This move just EATS shields now. Pretty sweet.

I'm not a big fan of Egg Lay in this game. I mean, Egg Lay is Egg Lay, and it's still good, and I'll still use it, but it feels...sluggish, now. Like, there's a bit of start up, and it bothers me, which makes me sad. Overall, feels like a downgrade from Brawl.

Pivot Grab...RIP. I almost never want to use this move again. On the other hand, Standing Grab has been improved. Dash Grab had its grab box fixed, I think (you don't just miss people right next to you anymore), but you get less...distance, off of the slide/run anymore. Which is a shame, but I'll take the trade off just for consistency's sake.

The new Usmash is... I dunno. I like the old one better because it consistently hit both sides, and this new one doesn't feel any faster/stronger, so meh.

Yoshi Bomb is love. Popping shields all day every day. Kills so easy with rage lololololololololol.

New Eggs are AMAZING. They're faster and set up for stuff well and they drop lower and unf. I wish we got more recovery boosts from them, though. But I'm okay with the trade off. The extra utility is well worth it. They also make Diddy's bananas disappear when they're on the ground, if we hit one with an egg.

THE NEW SHIELD MAKES ME MOIST. I finally got to play like a real character. I got to run up and shield. I won matches with Usmash OOS. DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE DREAMED OF SUCH THINGS!? I was constantly exclaiming how good it felt whenever I landed an OOS option. OOS Nair, OOS Uair, hell, even SHIELD GRAB feels viable. I don't know what Yoshi's shield drop data is, but it doesn't feel extra slower than the rest of the cast, either. Maybe a little, but shield dropping even feels viable now. To compensate, I noticed Spotdodge was a little sluggish. But having a real shield is infinitely worth it.

Overall, I think Yoshi's defensive tools have been toned down, and that he's been given the tools of a real character to compensate, and these new tools are GOOD. Those who know me from Brawl knew that my neutral game was basically saying "**** that" and running away and camping. I ACTUALLY PLAYED THE NEUTRAL GAME TODAY. Yoshi has tools for pressure and aggression now. He can hold his own in neutral (mostly). He feels GREAT. Definitely one of the top 5-8 character, in my opinion. His weight and recovery also tend to make rage a favorable mechanic. Tasty.

Unfortunately, my desire to compete in this game is practically non-existent. Time/location notwithstanding, my 6 hours of grind were against, who I now believe, to be the best character in the game.

**** this character. What is end lag. What is being able to punish. What is winning neutral.

I firmly believe that we cannot deal with this character (well), and that honestly, nobody really can. Sheik's neutral game is OPPRESSIVE. The attacks are too fast, they have too little end lag to punish, and what we can punish, the punish usually isn't severe enough to make up the difference in exchanges we're losing.

The games were overall close (I may have actually had a slightly better record with Yoshi), mainly due to killing percent differential, but I found that a lot of the time, I would get to like, 130%, get knocked offstage, and survive till like 250-280%... while landing only one more hit. All the survivability in the world means nothing if we can't win an exchange. Luckily, this lets us get silly rage kills (I got a winning kill while at about 130% by Yoshi Bombing back to the stage, and beating out Sheik's Uair. Sheik was at like, 50% at the time of the hit, lol), and we can get some spikes off of greedy offstage Fish chases.

But really, it felt like I was playing against MK all over again. The lack of lag, the lack of being able to punish, the suffocating amount of hitboxes being thrown my way, the combos, the edge guards, the frame traps, it was all too real. We're a better character now, so I could hold my own, but I don't want to compete in a world where this character exists. If someone knows what can be done in this match up, please let me know.

I don't want to think this game is stupid, but man, I feel like if I compete and go up against Sheik's enough times, I'll just become disillusioned with this game like I did Brawl. And I really love this game almost entirely, except for this one thing...

On the bright side, I feel like we beat/go even with everyone else. Not that I have the experience to back that up, but Yoshi feels great, and our speed/power should really give us the capabilities to handle nearly anything else. But I think that, as the game goes on, Sheik will become more common, and that's certainly a decently uphill battle at least, and I don't want to deal with it. I'll stick with playing high level funsies.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Honestly even bad sheiks are problematic. She's a dumb character that im convinced we lose to, but I don't really feel like its hopeless just yet. I think we might be better off once we find our best stages. (I don't think we're going to be as consistently good on all stages like we were in brawl again)

BUT quick story time, im playing for glory with my alt characters for fun you know trying to get a feel for them (even though im stuck playing on the goddamn gamepad atm) and i start playing this megaman. He has the most annoying playstyle ever in that he literally just threw out projectiles and rolled. But im just trying to learn my characters so im not willing to put in the mental effort to try reading all of this while playing on a controller i still barely understand, ya know? Fast forward through the metric ****ton of games we played i have finally had enough of whatever the **** it was he thinks he was doing so I go yoshi and proceed to time him out. Twice. At which point I think i broke him because every game after that every time i threw an egg he ran away and started panic shielding.

Moral of this story SH double egg toss is actually pretty good. I mean i said it was our new way to camp a while ago, but that was just theory craft until i just did it. I think we might be able to out camp all the zoning chracters.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Fem!Yoshi stepping up to represent! Out of the three characters I really, really want to be good at Yoshi feels the most natural and comfortable to me. I don't care for certain matchups such as little mac with her, but for the most part Yoshi is my character of choice for when I want to play safe with a mystery matchup.

I struggle to aim her egg throw, but otherwise I feel like I'm doing alright given the effort I've put into the character.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Sheik has always been a problem for us since Melee so not too surprised we still have a problem with her.
Any moves we spammed in brawl (pivot grab egg tosses 5 hops bair etc.) isn't as reliable as they were in the previous iteration. But in exchange for some of our only decent moves to spam, we got an actual kit that's good in every other way so I'll take it.

Egglay got some start up lag in the last patch so prolly why you think it feels sluggish

For now I honestly think unless a Japanese Yoshi (the fable land of trillions of Yoshi mains/players online and tournaments where here at the time it was Little mac Rosalina and Sheik) or somebody in US does well with Yoshi at Apex, we won't truly cement our top 3-7 spot that a lot of us claim him to be since most people that aren't too well informative in the game right now or even the rare ones that think his options are suboptimal don't believe he's even top 10 or barely scrapping at it.

Though I do not think Slice and any other Yoshi's in EU is going (and I certainly not spending another 500 for this tournament) who is going to Apex? My only guess is Raptor and Delta as of now maybe since they both live nearby.

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
*grabs popcorn*
u wot m8

swer on me nan ill have u for gabbin at me headcanon like that ill lay u so hard u wont no u hit the blast zone bruv

I've actually been playing Yoshi since SSB64. He has just been slightly eclipsed by Peach since Melee. I love SSB4 Yoshi's airgame. I think the only thing I'm not sure how I feel about is his usmash. I actually liked Yoshi's Brawl usmash a lot because it always felt slippery and that made it a desirable move to throw out when I wanted to quickly punish someone for an improperly spaced move or try to take an opponent off guard. I find myself using SSB4 Yoshi's usmash a lot less than I did Brawl Yoshi's.

Though perhaps that's just because his dash attack does the job better than Brawl usmash ever did andhis aerials are so much more appealing.

I haven't had any issues with shiek's yet to be honest, though judging by the videos I've seen I think I just haven't fought any good shieks.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
So I finally got to play this game with one of my practice buddies today. It was my first time playing against someone high level, as well as my first time needing to actually learn to Yoshi in this game. Got about 6 hours of straight grind in.

I really hate Yoshi's new Bair. It makes me angry and I SD'd like, 3 or 4 times by failing to buffer inputs/using it in the wrong place because OH MY GOD THE END LAG WHY. Plus it's not even that strong. Geez.
Bair I definitely think is his worst air normal, but there's a few cool bits from it. 1. Fullhop bair into nair or b-reverse egg lay can be done pretty fluidly and covers a lot of space. 2. Offstage it's a long-lasting hitbox that can kill at later percents. I've needed it to kill a few Lucarios. 3. REALLY situational, but the second hit, when whiffing the third puts them into a techable knockdown. At 50-60% bair 1st and 2nd hit into F smash is a combo provided they don't tech, and it's really hard to see it coming, let alone tech. 4. At lowish percents back air up air is a neat combo.

The new Usmash is... I dunno. I like the old one better because it consistently hit both sides, and this new one doesn't feel any faster/stronger, so meh.
I completely agree with you. I have a lot of replays of some dude standing directly on Yoshi's back, and up smash whiffing tragically. It does hit behind you, but just on the foot part. I feel it's good/bad, and prefer forward smash for smashes and nair for OOS.

Sheik too fresh, I can't keep up with the freshness, lol
Absolutely Sheik is the best character, or at least top 2 with Diddy, and I've got a nasty one locally, don't know what tag he used in Brawl, but I know him as Ed, and apparently was one of the big Sheik mains back then.I agree, it's tough for Yoshi to keep up. I have no idea how to win that matchup consistently, but when I do, I'll let ya know. Yoshi's nair I feel should get more use in this matchup, but I have yet to combo-break Sheik as well as say, Mario or Ness's "combos".

I don't care for certain matchups such as little mac with her.

I struggle to aim her egg throw, but otherwise I feel like I'm doing alright given the effort I've put into the character.
One of these, when fixed, shall fix the other. I had problems with egg throw in 3DS, but on WiiU it's a lot easier to practice aiming them. With that, the Little Mac matchup will suddenly become easier. For me on 3DS the counter and fast dashgrabs were a pain since I was all about fair, nair, and stuff out of shield. But in the air Mac can't do crap, so I just play REALLY lame with air eggs and rarely touch the ground for long, until a tap will knock Mac offstage. Once he's there, you go offstage with him, and the humble nair will push him too far away to recover. His damage and superfist won't keep up with the stocks he'll lose, for the most part. I like fighting versus Mac on Battlefield in both versions, Prism Tower in 3DS, and Lylat and Town and City on WiiU. Platforms you can dance around that he cannot use them to help him recover.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
@ CelestialMarauder~ CelestialMarauder~ CHANNEL THE INNER DELTA YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

@ Arle Nadja Arle Nadja Little Mac, as a MU, comes down to how lame you want to play, really. He can't do ANYTHING to us if we choose to play lame, platform camp, and just stay away from the only place he can do things (the ground). The character is strong on the ground, but fails as a solo-main because he basically autoloses on any platformed stage.

As far as Egg Tossing goes, I've noticed that the egg angles are just lower in general in this game, so you'll want to be aiming higher than you would otherwise expect to need to. I've found that to throw an egg the maximum distance forward, I have to aim up more than forward.

@ Sinister Slush Sinister Slush We didn't struggle in Brawl really, but lol at the Melee match up.

Also, I won't be attending Apex, as I go back to Chicago for school on the 3rd, and don't plan on flying back for another ****ty tournament.

@ Professor Oats Professor Oats Duuuuude, Ed's really good. And now that Sheik's good, you're definitely not gonna be having an easy time in that match up, haha. Good luck!

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
@ Delta-cod Delta-cod
@ Professor Oats Professor Oats

It's less that I can't take little Mac as Yoshi and just that I prefer to fight him as Peach. Floating is a godsend for approaching Mac in my experience.

But as for the egg throw, my issue is that a lot of the time the angle seems to bug out and the egg goes straight up when I'm very clearly not pointing my stick in that direction. I'm not 100% sure what exactly I'm doing wrong to makes this happen, but it leaves me looking like a doofus and gets me punished.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
oh yeah Apex. Is there a site again maybe i'll go. Idk if I feel like going to a tournament when I literally haven't been able to practice the game with a gcc or against good people. Seems like it'll be a waste of money especially since no one I really know is goin'.

@ Arle Nadja Arle Nadja Ayyy new Yoshi
@ Delta-cod Delta-cod Timing people out is so much more bareable with a 5 minute timer lol. I channeled your essence for that one buddy

Yo who do you guys think we hard counter now if anyone? Pretty sure we have someone we hard body

wm1026

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone new guy here! Always been a big yoshi fan as a character so I always tried to main him but since I am quite competitive and hate to lose he just hasn't been viable enough and ended up as my secondary until now and I could not be more happy!! I honestly see the big nose Dino as top 5 or at the very least top 10 which is freaking awesome. I am probably classified as a high playing casual but I would love to go to some tournaments. Unfortunately I can not find any where I live which is northwest Mississippi. If any one of you know one that isn't over an hour away I'd love it if you let me know. I'll post some gameplay of mine when I figure out how haha. For now though I just have a question for you all. Do any of you all know of any more horrendous match ups for our Dino friend besides the not broken but getting their sheik? I feel like everyone else we fight is at least even or our advantage.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Hrm...I'd think Fox versus Yoshi was closer to even, but I have no Fox mains nearby, so I got no clue.

Also, look at all the Yoshi players joining all of a sudden :D I mean, I'm one of them, but still, whoo.

For Yoshi's matchups heavily in our favor? All I can think of is Duck Hunt. I love making can completely irrelevant, and you can nair out of like 90% of doge's combos.

It's less that I can't take little Mac as Yoshi and just that I prefer to fight him as Peach. Floating is a godsend for approaching Mac in my experience.

But as for the egg throw, my issue is that a lot of the time the angle seems to bug out and the egg goes straight up when I'm very clearly not pointing my stick in that direction. I'm not 100% sure what exactly I'm doing wrong to makes this happen, but it leaves me looking like a doofus and gets me punished.
Makes sense. My Peach is butt, but I can see how that matchup would basically be all for Peach.

For egg throw, here's how I aim it. Sorry if this is long but I have no clue how to shorten my sentences. Also, I'm making up terms as I go.

Up B slightly in the direction of which way you wanna shoot the egg, to get the right facing, then whichever way you're facing, you hold either 1. Forward to shoot it nearly horizontal, which starts falling pretty fast 2. Move the stick straight up to shoot in a 45% arc, or 3. Move the stick back from whichever way you're facing, and it goes straight up. Whatever you're doing, you're moving the stick behind Yoshi as you're in that "aiming phase" for the up B.

Then depending on how long you hold the button, it goes further or shorter, the shortest being a tap, and those limp eggs will fall below you, which is beautiful for raining death on grounded characters. Holding B the whole time or part of the time are the other two other levels of "force", though really between holding B the full time and tapping B there's a ton of wiggle room for distance.

But the way I see it is 3 angles and 3 amounts of force you put behind each egg, so 9 possible combinations. To practice, I usually doublejump and just shoot an egg the same way again and again while slowly moving left or right across the stage. It gets more annoying trying to

What I'm trying to get the hang of, which I find REALLY hard, is sliding with my egg off the stage onto the ledge, and making the egg go straight up with no force, so it actually just shields the ledge for about a second. Seems absurdly safe, but moving the stick back I often don't end up ledge-grabbing. Anyone tried this?

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
What I'm trying to get the hang of, which I find REALLY hard, is sliding with my egg off the stage onto the ledge, and making the egg go straight up with no force, so it actually just shields the ledge for about a second. Seems absurdly safe, but moving the stick back I often don't end up ledge-grabbing. Anyone tried this?
I can do it but tbh its left over brawl instinct so hard to explain off the top. I'll try to think of a way to explain it and edit it back in the post in a bit.

Edit: Also welcome aboard other new guy, Glad to see people playing Yoshi more lol

Edit2: Okay now for the egg toss slide thing with the egg going straight up. Boot up training mode and run at the right ledge. This is your input
input::GCR:, :GCY::GCUL::GCB:,:GCUR:,:GCL:
  • :GCR: is just your dash or walk. its harder to do out of a dash, but doing it out of a dash is more useful imo
  • :GCY::GCUL::GCB: You have to input them one after the other, can't just try to do it at the same time or you might end up wave bouncing or something silly like that. At this point you'll be turning around and sliding. Make sure keep track of how long you're holding b for the force of the egg toss you're looking to get.
  • :GCUR: this is the input that makes the egg go (mostly) straight up. input this after you see yoshi turn around, but before the egg actually comes out.
  • :GCL:Immediately after you see the egg come out, hold towards the stage to grab the ledge. If you don't 9/10 times you're gonna go flying off the ledge and not grab it.
I'm not a huge fan of this angle because it doesn't seem that useful imo but this is how you do it.

Last edited:

Depster

Smash Champion
Went to a tournament in Lawrence Saturday night with the Wichita crew! Took 9th/21 with Yoshi like my 8th time playing the game, definitely my first time playing high-ish level people. Sheik is the worst thing ever. EVER. I went 1-1 against Sheik mains in tournament, and I've found that stages with nasty ledges poop on her. I won on castle siege and halberd because the ledges caught her up b. Remember that, all of you...

Arle Nadja

NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
My Peach is butt
Peach and butts are two things I am used to seeing together~ ;D

I'll probably see if I can't get the hang of egg throwing. I must be doing something that's confusing the input ocassionally.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Hey, this is that egg input you can't do. ;D Winkyface
Oh yeah, that's the input I'm doing, I just slide off the ledge while a bit close to the corner, so when I start holding :GCL: it's not quite :GCL: enough for how far away from the ledge I've gone....I think. I need to either start sliding a bit earlier or hold left a bit earlier. I'll keep at it. I'm away from my WiiU for a while (work trip/vacation), so I'm labbing 100% on 3DS for a month more, meaning my egg inputs aren't the cleanest.

I can't do that upwards angle and ledge-grab consistently, so I don't use it in matches, so I didn't know if it was practical or not, but I thought it was a neat thing to practice, at the moment I've been doing :GCR:, :GCY::GCUL::GCB:,:GCL: (hold down B) and :GCR:, :GCY::GCUL::GCB::GCU: :GCL: (tap B) mostly in matches, and it's been pretty nice so far. I just like messing with every angle, getting them comfy and all. Except in this case Y is L, since I have them both to jump and L is easier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom