• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm homestly not sure how I am at breaking defense when I try. My issue with defensive players is psychological - I get bored by them. And that makes me reckless and just eager to try to get it over with already.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I'm homestly not sure how I am at breaking defense when I try. My issue with defensive players is psychological - I get bored by them. And that makes me reckless and just eager to try to get it over with already.
That's exactly my problem. They'll sit back and wait for any little punish they can get whereas I just want to go in and wreck my opponent.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
That's exactly my problem. They'll sit back and wait for any little punish they can get whereas I just want to go in and wreck my opponent.
And that's the basis of psychological warfare. They want to give us the exact opposite of what we want.

Depster

Smash Champion
You guys who say Sheik isn't a bad experience haven't played a good Sheik yet... I don't know about Diddy though, I haven't played against him in singles yet.

ividal

Smash Cadet
i have to say ive faced plenty of good sheiks, and man are they tough, but it is possible to beat them

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Anybody playing Yoshi in teams yet? I'm not nearly as experienced in teams for this game yet (obv), but I'm not liking teams Yoshi too much in this game. Still experimenting with partners and strategies.
I've been teaming with a Captain Falcon main for a while, it's a blast.

-Falcon dash grab can usually set people up perfectly on the ledge, while I go in for a Fair spike (if you space it properly, you'll meteor the opponent and miss Falcon).
-They're both quite fast, and can support each other well.
-There aren't any particular team combinations we have trouble with. Yet, anyways.

Defensive Sheik's can be a bit annoying, but the MU doesn't seem too bad. My problem usually stems from being unable to edge guard them reliably unless you get a hard read. Anyone have any advice on what I should be doing for option coverage? I haven't had the chance to give edge guarding with a JC Egg Toss into a ledge grab an actual try yet, so maybe that might help a bit.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
As a general rule I try to edgeguard with run-off Nairs or a SH Bair, Sheik's significantly harder to edgeguard than most but if you read and intercept bouncing fish with a Bair for the stage spike she's as good as gone. Just don't get hit with vanish in doing so =_=

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I just got sandbagged so hard, twice, by a guy named Zaki using Ike. Like, he woud let me put a free 100% damage on him and would come back and beat me. Very embarrassing stuff. I never knew Ike could be so scary.

Boshi Kafka

Smash Rookie
You guys who say Sheik isn't a bad experience haven't played a good Sheik yet... I don't know about Diddy though, I haven't played against him in singles yet.
The matchups feel winnable, but very hard. Diddy is hard because most of his aerials win out, either priority or disjoints ( I can't tell). Sheik is just a monster for her movement and general speed advantage against yoshi. Diddy Kong, your bair is your best freind; Sheik, eggs.

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
Have to agree with Delta, she's not going to get hit by eggs anytime soon unless the player's not paying attention because egg throw takes far too long.

This is just my opinion, but I think we can actually keep up with her agility, certainly better than most of the cast can.
Perfect pivoting backwards to avoid the SH Fair>grab is helpful to have.

wm1026

Smash Cadet
Hey so just got back from a local tourney and placed 2nd overall with yoshi. Lost to a guy that played link. Maybe I'm just getting outplayed but I hate this match up. I feel like links sword beats out all of yoshi's move just about. Any pointers? I keep getting walked by bomb and boomerang with the occasional arrow. My main problem is getting beat by air approaching but it seems like ground approaching doesn't work either. Also I'm almost positive links shield keeps blocking a lot of my egg toss. Please help me!!

Nikes

Smash Lord
NNID
AussieYoshi
You can create an opening when he shields SH egg throw by following up with neutral B, it's the ultimate anti anti air :b:
Bait out and punish his sword swings because they do indeed beat out our moves, but we're fast enough to get in close after avoiding them. Don't forget your out of shield Nairs too :)
As for the projectiles, jump over them but just land again since he'll be expecting an aerial approach. (Hate projectiles to bits =_=)

Congrats on 2nd btw! :)

wm1026

Smash Cadet
You can create an opening when he shields SH egg throw by following up with neutral B, it's the ultimate anti anti air :b:
Bait out and punish his sword swings because they do indeed beat out our moves, but we're fast enough to get in close after avoiding them. Don't forget your out of shield Nairs too :)
As for the projectiles, jump over them but just land again since he'll be expecting an aerial approach. (Hate projectiles to bits =_=)

Congrats on 2nd btw! :)
Thank you so much. Really helps a lot. Gonna put in some practice so hopefully I'll take 1st in the next one. Yoshi is just to good!

Boshi Kafka

Smash Rookie
I can't disagree with what you guys are saying about the eggs not hitting her. I suppose I could only mean it by it giving us such good aerial maneuverability and zoning. Maybe alongside Kirby/Puff/Ness, We have access to some of the most interesting angles for approaching and followup. I play Yoshi mainly because his movement can beat out the stagnant "this move beats that move" meta that would prevail without interesting movement.

MartianMedia

Smash Cadet
NNID
MartianMedia
3DS FC
5172-0483-1084
Hey there, guys :D i'm relatively new to the smash forums and I'm currently learning to use Yoshi. I'm planning on making him my main but right now I'm still leaning on Lucario. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and learning more about how to play Yoshi :D

Warlockkobra

Smash Cadet
NNID
RockKrock
3DS FC
5026-5232-2611
Shiek is tough as an opponent, but if you manage to get her into defense it's possible if you play it safe enough.

superyoshi64

Smash Rookie
i was playing online ran into a Shulk he only beat me because of his stupid counter : /

I've never betrayed Yoshi is super Mario world
i just thought the picture and the words below it was funny

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Fer anybody that doesn't go to the skype group anymore, there were 3 or 4 Yoshi's at the tournament Saturday. I placed the highest but Yellowrello had a much more difficult bracket cause seeding points I believe in the form of trying to avoid playing his own carpool (which he still did anyways sadly)

Was an interesting tournament and honestly thought I was gonna do horribly due to 250+ hours into Hyrule Warriors over the 7 or so into Smash 4 in total since the 3ds Release, but that was also solely cause I didn't play the super good players using top tier characters n all that really.

As for adapters, that reminds me to ask someone in my town that'll eventually have two in his hands instead of one. I should see if he has it by now.

Last edited:

ividal

Smash Cadet
just got out of a online tourney that i entered in a FB group, an all yoshi tourney to tell who was the best yoshi from that group, ended up in 1st place and i have to say, after facing a lot of yoshis i can tell how hard would it be to beat them, the way i play is I ko a lot to the upper part of the stage, its either ground down b, usmash oi uair, but it is kind of hard to do so since yoshi has ways to stop people from doing air combos, not forgetting the fact that you can't really do air combos at early % since he can just double jump armor out of it or use a nair to break the combo, must admit that a yoshi clone can also be a tough MU but i still had fun at that tourney.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Just hit the lab a little bit to check a few things I wasn't sure about.

So its a bit counter intuitive, but fastfallers will be the easiest to hit with the egg. I was wondering why i was having so much trouble landing it on wario in training when I got it so easy on a fox(I think it was fox? I can't actually remember). As for bair followups those I don't think will be guaranteed, but will probably depend on percent how effective it is. Low percent it will be easier to hit a floaty, high percent it would be easier to hit a fast faller. I think the surprise factor of it will be enough to let you hit the bair tbh. You might even force out their double jump with the egg (which is what happened to the fox lol)

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
Are there any good setups for spiking? I always miss, or hit the sourspot, but I just knock my opponent off, and attack as they try to recover, rather than following up on anything.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Are there any good setups for spiking? I always miss, or hit the sourspot, but I just knock my opponent off, and attack as they try to recover, rather than following up on anything.
Eggs. At the right spacing, landing an egg is pretty much a free fair. If they dodge the fair you probably frame trapped them into a nair. Lose lose for them

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
Okay, I'll have to try that.
What exactly does "frame trap" mean? Is that just that they can't get away fast enough?

ividal

Smash Cadet
Okay, I'll have to try that.
What exactly does "frame trap" mean? Is that just that they can't get away fast enough?
say that you try to fair them, they air dodge giving you the chance to use a quick nair to get the kill

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
say that you try to fair them, they air dodge giving you the chance to use a quick nair to get the kill
pretty much this. It's like where a characters frame data is the only thing stopping them from avoiding an attack. In brawl a lot of "combos" were frame traps because even though there wasn't enough hitstun to guarantee the next hit, the other character literally didn't have a fast enough option to get away.

In this case, if we fair while they airdodge, we can move before they can so they have to take a nair if they want to air dodge the fair.

Jetstream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0447-6735-8295
Alrighty, now I get it :)
Where exactly is the spike hitbox? I generally try to hit my opponent from above with my Fair, but I usually hit the sourspot.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Alrighty, now I get it :)
Where exactly is the spike hitbox? I generally try to hit my opponent from above with my Fair, but I usually hit the sourspot.
gonna be honest with you i'm not entirely sure. I think its the very tip, but usually from what I can tell if you hit fair at all past a certain frame, it will always spike. I could be really wrong though I honestly am not sure.

Edit: Okay so UPS guy just dropped off my adapter so now I'm good to go to test things. Do we have anything we need to test?

Last edited:

Depster

Smash Champion
Yeah, Yoshi has a fair with a tipper now. It's kinda hard for some reason, but I think we'll get used to it eventually.

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt is awesome for setting up Fair spikes. Catch them while they're standing on the ledge/recovering/or when they're hanging on too long and you can somewhat easily run off Fair spike them.
Another good setup is trapping them with eggs like @ CelestialMarauder~ CelestialMarauder~ said. Eggs do good at limiting what your opponent can do; if you can hit them with an egg offstage, you can follow with a Fair spike but if they dodged the egg you can instead Nair/Uair.

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Hit the Fair from above for the spike. I think I read it in one of the in game tips, not to mention my experience backs it up.

D

Deleted member 189823

So as it turns out, I just can't love Yoshi, regardless of game or of how good or bad I am with him. As it does turn out, I'm doing pretty well with him.

Maining him alongside Bowser, as always. :awesome:

Top Bottom