• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Social-20 years of Yoshi's Island!

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
I prefer A,B, and X. I have to shift my hand ever so slightly for Y, so X is more comfortable to jump for me. Also, ETS...is there a video of this so I can see what this looks like? The way people give names to everything, I'm not sure if this is some advanced technique or something that is just done naturally.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
DR? ETS? Sorry, I'm a newb technically.

Also, I use standard controls with tap jump off, since I don't need to up B out of shield that placement feels nice enough for me to do most things easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
It's Egg Toss Slide. I watched a video of ETS in Brawl because I couldn't quickly find one for Smash 4, and I'm wondering how important of a technique it is for good Yoshi play. It basically just looks like a tool for egg keep away, which could be useful in certain situations. It looks like you would need jump set to a shoulder button to do it, but I'm not really convinced if it's worth it.

Also, to answer the question about the amiibo, I can't say I've extensively trained my Yoshi, but he's been at level 50 for a while and I haven't noticed him use my techniques. I cringed when I watched him fight a level 9 computer...and get 2 stocked. He wouldn't engage in the fight and kept using his double jump over and over again for no reason. He's completely non aggressive for some reason, but he somehow picks up his game a bit when he plays against me. He just has really good defense and perfect shields most things.

Last edited:

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
It's Egg Toss Slide. I watched a video of ETS in Brawl because I couldn't quickly find one for Smash 4, and I'm wondering how important of a technique it is for good Yoshi play. It basically just looks like a tool for egg keep away, which could be useful in certain situations. It looks like you would need jump set to a shoulder button to do it, but I'm not really convinced if it's worth it.
Thanks! I did the same after you mentioned it and looked up a brawl video. It seems to still work the same way in Sm4sh. Also, duuuude, you can grab ledge while firing an egg with it! After trying it out for a few minutes, I can do it rather consistently with L set to jump. I use R entirely for shield-dodge, so that's not a big commitment at all.

This seems awesome, actually, and if I run off ledge with ETS while shooting an egg softly straight up, it covers that ledge area for a really long time (edit: I also find this significantly harder to do than shooting eggs back towards the stage).

I learn something new every day :D

Last edited:

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
I'm more a fan of eggs in the air, but I've been meaning to add more ground eggs to my game, so ETS'ing smartly might be a good thing to learn. That platform drop egg looks awesome, too. How do you input that?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Eggs are good no matter where they are. The air, the ground, the ledge, your breakfast, theyre just all around solid. And delicious.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
I'm more a fan of eggs in the air, but I've been meaning to add more ground eggs to my game, so ETS'ing smartly might be a good thing to learn. That platform drop egg looks awesome, too. How do you input that?
That's a ETS to the opposite direction you are running to before reversing the whole ****.
So it's simply a wavebounce ETS.

kaak

Smash Journeyman
Hi people,

I decided to pick up smash 4 after a inactive period in brawl (played the game 4 years and was one of the top players in Holland and at the begin stage of Brawl in EU). Also i was well known from my combo video's with GAW. Decided to pick up yoshi i this game and represent him in the Netherlands and EU. Also i'm in a group together with Mr.R where we stream and make content.

Already made a first small vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Mhv3-jWiM&list=UUwI7mbEkH32KEazbjGu_uLg#t=11

I will try to get active over here bit i'm really busy atm.

Looking forward the get in toch with you guys =)

Last edited:

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Nice video, nice music. So is it recommended to set a shoulder button to jump to perform ETS? I'm not really comfortable using an analog button for jump. I need to test out some different configurations, because I throw eggs every chance I get. If ETS improves my egg game, I want in.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
After testing many different button layouts, I'm preferring Z for a second jump button only used for ETS and Y set to grab. That way I don't have to completely relearn the controls. Z felt like the best button for ETS imo.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
If you suddenly change the momentum, it's a B-Reversal.
If you just change the direction you are looking at and keep sliding, it's a reversed B.

If you want to know how B-Reversal/Wavebounce works, check some older Brawl threads (I guess).
Or ask Sinister Slush, he will have time for you!

Last edited:

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Yes it is.

Luma is both a meatshild and a cockblock expertise.
Eggs get blocked and Neutral B is pretty much useless against that demonic duo.

Last edited:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Are we not invincible when Egg Lay hits?

Also, reading through the Rosaluma's thread, it looks like Luma suffers the pikmin problem, i.e. all our aerials beat it for the most part. Doesn't this make it unsafe to separate Luma, which means we're essentially just righting Rosy, who's not particularly threatening to us?

Last edited:

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Geez, I dislike fighting Rosalina. Anyone who's fair is bigger than mine, really. I'm lazy and like being safe in neutral with no effort :p

Also, this isn't at all Yoshi-specific, but in the character selection for For Glory or Friend Lobbies or whathaveyou, someone sent me messages where their name was, saying GG, well played. Seems like a pretty classy thing to do. Not exactly sure how I can do that. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Are we not invincible when Egg Lay hits?
Got to test lick vs Rosalina. During the licking part, Luma can't act, but Luma gets actions the instant she is in the egg. Seems like it'd be a hindrance to the usual egg followups.

Still, her normals feel really good for keepaway against Yoshi. That and Luma tanking eggs, it's not my favorite matchup, but I think I can win it if I think a bit.

Z-Bone

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I don't care about that little Luma punk. It's the extended lingering hit boxes on all her aerials that is the pain. Other than that, she's large and floaty. Yoshi likes 'em large and floaty.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Got to test lick vs Rosalina. During the licking part, Luma can't act, but Luma gets actions the instant she is in the egg. Seems like it'd be a hindrance to the usual egg followups.

Still, her normals feel really good for keepaway against Yoshi. That and Luma tanking eggs, it's not my favorite matchup, but I think I can win it if I think a bit.
In Brawl, Yoshi was invincible while swallowing the opponent. This would essentially nullify Luma punishes. I was wondering if this is the case here.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
It's not about the swallowing animation itself but rather about the "how can I punish my enemy while he is egged?"
Luma denies this and lets you only throw eggs.

db132

Smash Rookie
NNID
db-132
3DS FC
3308-4650-8095
Also, this isn't at all Yoshi-specific, but in the character selection for For Glory or Friend Lobbies or whathaveyou, someone sent me messages where their name was, saying GG, well played. Seems like a pretty classy thing to do. Not exactly sure how I can do that. Any ideas?
Just make a name with whatever message offline that will fit. That's how they're doing it

Shiri

Smash Chump
I'm really sad that doesn't work on this version of Olimar, by the way.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Rosa/Luma is annoying to fight because you're busy trying to get rid of Luma (isn't necessarily hard, but time consuming). Combine that with unnecessarily big hitboxes that cover up space. The bigger problem stems from Nair. Having an Ike effect to cover not just the front, but all around (with little lag) is frustrating to deal with. Thankfully, her mid range game sucks outside of dash attack. Keep her pushed into a corner to make full use of Yoshi's moveset.

Slice~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
risuno
Well to be fair, this version of Olimar is nowhere near as annoying as the old one.
Mostly because there isn't a single Olimar player. *burn intensifies*
Is there even anything going on on the Olimar boards? #saltinthewound

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Sounds like we need to test how early Luma can move out of egglay and check it between how early we can shield, and when exactly our invincibility ends. Best case scenario Luma can't do anything until after we can put up shield meaning oos nair beats whatever follow up they want to go with. Worst case scenario Luma can slap us in the face between our invincibility and our shield window.

Sounds easy to test someone should get on that.

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Mostly because there isn't a single Olimar player. *burn intensifies*
Tell that to Myran, he's proving to South Florida that the character's still beastly.

Sounds easy to test someone should get on that.
Luma can act the moment Rosalina is visibly in an egg. I neglected to test how safe that makes us, but I'll test after work today.

Last edited:

Professor Oats

Smash Cadet
NNID
Professor_Oats
Just checked. Yikes, looks like at lower percents, Yoshi licks Rosalina and Luma can down air Yoshi before he can get into shield.

That woman just doesn't want tongue, and she seems pretty adamant about it.

Top Bottom