• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Matchups & Best Stage Picks

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I disapprove of frequent use of any dash attack in this game, because they are all easily punished.
But yoshi's is weird and gimmicky because of his invincibly face.
If they overshoot i think it cuts through, but they may start dealing with priority and whatnot, so w/e

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Lol, invisibility face. I never would go in with a dash, most of the time you land it they can cc or just take it, it is like risky chip damage, unless you edgeguard. F-smash their aerials. Until recently I almost never used it except in a pinch against high % opponents.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Dash attack as an edgeguard is bad because they can just tech it and get back free (because endlag is a thing)
Although having an invincible face is good for interupting high priority recoveries.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Dash attack is great as an edgeguard, especially on Fox/Falco, if they're too far from the edge to tech.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Did I just see Mind Trick post in here like last month?

I really am getting mind tricked! o_0

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I'm going to a tournament in a week if they're able to get a venue, so hopefully I'll have some videos up after.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I want videos soon. Also, to the Yoshis. . . last Friday I was smashing with some friends and I successfully shield drop -> platform cancelled U-air twice. My friend thought I SHFFLed a U-air OOS, and was confused. Yoshi too good. Also, I have like 80%+ accuracy on parrying Falco lasers, finally. After getting parries and shield drops consistent, I started messing up my DJCs though. . . I feel like I need to warm up a ton before I play to get consistent on everything. . . anyone else have this problem?

Also, I've done this thing lately where I WD back and forth while crouching, ready to parry, and it seems relatively low risk, and might open you up for good spacing, stage control or maybe some other shennanigans. . . . (ex: WD around looking like you're scared, then charge them to bait a mistake)

Also, my Yoshi has been under some fire lately, as my Puff seems to be winning more often(mainly against Falcos and stuffs), and I don't try to do well with Puff.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yeah, going over all the basics for about ten or fifteen minutes before playing is a good primer.

Regarding WDing around while crouching, it's pretty okay because you get automatic CC and you're in a good spot for consistent supershields while having a constantly smaller hitbox, you just have to be careful because you need to be able to pull out of crouch immediately should the situation call for it either to avoid CC, to tilt or to stop from getting pushed off the edge.

And of course your Jigglypuff is doing better. She's an infinitely better character than Yoshi, unfortunately.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Awesome Angel, your Yoshi is looking amazing still.... Man, Im impressed... ^^

Man, if you had shielddropping down, you'd be GOLD!! that's honestly the only thing that I can think of that, you MUST add to your game... Your shield pressure is very unique.. I'm liking the "run past shield>Jump Nair behind the opponent...^^ (I personally run behind the shield and do DJCNair chains.. (but I play more aggro/unsafe also) as always awesome stuff ^^

There are some nifty awesome combo starters that I can show you (if you come to this next AZ tournament) I think you'll take a liking to them (ask jetfour) =D we can show each other some tricks, and I can show you some new ones I've found..

Amazing stuff as always Angel, keep it up.. Hope to see you at Apex.. =D I don wanna be the only Yoshi at apex... ^^

EDIT: Starting tomorow, I'll be making/EDITING over the Yoshi analysis channel, and gonna massive update it... prolly along with my thread also.. only time will tell..

good to see you playing, and good stuff ^^

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Heh, I'm definitely aware that my shield dropping ability blows, but I appreciate the notifications as it shows everyone still cares :p.

Not sure why my consistency has not improved as I practice them pretty often and try to implement them during real matches.
Ah well I'll get it eventually.

I love when there are new yoshi videos as they're just so much fun to watch over and over again!

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Angel's yoshi is still unique and quirky, I love it. Some things I've never even seen before. . . liek DJC N-air pressure -> F-smash to dodge shieldgrab, and spotdodge -> DJC combo. Always a fun Yoshi to watch, and awesome match(I've only watched Falcon atm) I'm writing this during a break in class, but I have 2 midterms tomorrow, so after class is 100% study time.

Also, darn you V3ctorman, you took Jackie back! :[ Agreed that more shield drops are needed. Updating everyone, I still use the method where you roll the joystick down faster than shield angling and slower than a spotdodge. I don't know who uses the buffer -> 45deg angle . . .

I'm interested in seeing some new Yoshi videos as well. I've never had anything recorded, the last times I had the option, the recording was corrupted, then the next time, software was outdated. Boo.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
DJCNair>Fsmash, is known by all the top Yoshis.. I've used this for a while now, leffen has too.. somewhere in the Yoshi discussion thread, Leffen, and I both noted the use of this, I'm sure...(angel perhaps is the most effective at it tho) ^^

Yeah Jackie's back, :) shield dropping with Yoshi is way good :)

Angel's still amazing...

Yoshi <3

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I was talking about DJC N-air onto shield, and reading them trying to shieldgrab, and using it to land a F-smash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G-R2K0Wp-RY#t=46s (After looking at it again, he threw a jab in there as well.)

Also, see my post right up there where I said I was busy? I lied. I watched the video anyway, in class, and my professor saw Angel's Yoshi. . . That set was awesome Angel. Against Silly Kyle in the first match, you were handling the Peach MU like a pro! I think if you didn't get messed up by the stitch in the first game, it could have gone either way. After the first game, I saw the match was ~5-6 minutes in a ~12-13 minute video, and I assumed it was bo3, so I thought you got 2-0ed. When you won the second match I was so excited... amazing stuff. 3rd match, I'm not sure what happened, but tbh I don't really care, those first two matches were awesome! You didn't seem afraid to challenge anything Peach threw out.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^I know what you meant, ><; and again, it's still well known by all the Yoshis.. >< Fsmash is a great move to beat shield grabs in general, or marth Fsmashes, most of the cast get up attacks, man there are MANY examples...

If, I, angel, nor leffen mentioned this before, (im sure we have), but maybe we haven't) idk ><; but yeah I guess I just thought it was common knowledge or something ><; my apologies

anyway I get what you mean, but most of the Yoshi's def should already know this...

I hope, Angel, goes to apex, along with all the Yoshi's ^^

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Oh, well besides any talk (I've noticed the ideas most people have are much better than what they can do, myself included), I haven't seen anyone else implement it so well. I am fully aware that people have talked about the general use of Yoshi's F-smash, many many times. I'm not implying that nobody but Angel knows how to use F-smash. I'd hope everyone goes to Apex as well, I'd love to see more Yoshi representation!

(still procrastinating studying)

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
I find the peach matchup to be most tiresome for me but that's okay.
Thanks for the feedback Vman and purple!

For some self relfecting, I feel as though my edgeguarding could have been better against falcon. There seems to also be a lacking of a grab game on my part.

I also had a really intense set vs Okami's Sheik at this tourney but, sadly, it was not recorded.
Ah well, next time.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I don't have much time thanks to midterms so I didn't get to see too much, but I have to say that Angel definitely plays the Peach matchup well. Angel, do you wanna share what you think are the most essential tactics against Peach?

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i suppose i could give it a go and share my thoughts.
I'll post it once I finish my current busy work.

maybe tomorrow, I is tired.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
hah, my classes like to assign work and have it due one after the other.
Ill be editing in my thoughts in a minute.

--

**Note that these are simply my thought. Feel free to expand/dispute/question/correct my spelling and grammar as I'm sure the yoshi forum needs it.

When platforms are available, utilize them as they increase your general speed. I prefer stay above or below peach’s horizontal level. Doing so seems to make her reconsider a proper float height, more so as the characters approach each other. Being diagonally above or below also seems like good positioning to throw in surprise DJC Fairs/nairs or Uairs at one’s discretion.

On ground level I prefer to weave in and out of peach’s safety bubble, force her to commit to a defensive option, and proceed to abuse yoshi’s longer range attacks to beat down the initial defense and cause the opponent to question their choices (moves such as F-air/Neutral-B/Grabs maybe smash attacks).

When nearby peach, I like to hover around in an area just above and diagonal to her being just far enough to be able to react to an aerial with an escape maneuver or a DJCC and just close enough to crossover with a DJC nair/bair if peach shields (Yoshi’s short hop seems to place him in a proper height). Peach’s shield seems to be vulnerable to shield pokes to her head and legs. I find myself having a blast poking peach’s head by grazing it with a nair or bombarding with a high bair. Recently my answer to peach’s OOS options is to use yoshi’s DJ in conjunction with a nair and hover JUST over or behind the shield (but not hitting it).

I’m not really sure how beneficial grabs are against peach.

Killing peach can be an issue. Small links such as DJC nair/uair > nair/uair combined with constant chip damage from eggs and bair can build damage quick. Be sure to punish hard for common mistakes such as pulling turnips too close or predictable/foreseeable D-smash (careful when near platforms). A good fair to Uair applies a great deal of damage if not killing her for such situations. Other common kill moves might include your smashes or just plain Uair.

Yoshi’s smashes and tilts are great for beating out peach’s approaches. F-smash in general has great range, can be angled and high knockback. Properly spaced, it covers approaches that target the area around yoshi’s nose and in front of it. U-smash can be used in a similar manner but for situations when the opponent is a bit higher or right above. F-tilt also has the ability to be angled for select situations. It is useful when an attack in needed to cover space in front quickly. While uncommon, U-tilt can be used in a similar manner as F-tilt and proves to have deceivingly large hitboxes (it can also combo at low percentages).

In cases where peach has broken through your defenses, you probably need to escape immediately. Make use of yoshi’s shield quirks to either slide away with a full light shield or catch your opponent by surprise with parry. Also make note that your shield proves to be a good defense against peach’s D-smash. If on a platform make proper use by shield dropping and punishing your opponent for attacking your shield carelessly. This tactic is really useful in other aspects as well. It can make yoshi more mobile and dangerous around platforms.

Don’t really think there’s an issue with the recovery game. Peach DI’s high and recovers high :/ Yoshi’s recovery needs to be strong regardless of the opponent (although I fall victim to SD’s that should not be occurring from time to time). Should I expand on recovery?

Random (generalized) notes:

Besides using eggs to build damage during recoveries and at long range, I try to place eggs in an aggressive manner to cover options. Lightly lobbing them on top of shields can cause the eggs to bounce a couple of times (although sometimes they just pop when touching a shield and I don’t know why). In other cases, a properly tossed egg can be used just as if yoshi himself were hovering next to a shield with an aerial. Depending on DI, eggs can link into attacks. In summary, be creative with eggs.

Become proficient in catching turnips and using them as it is fun!

Shield Drops are the greatest!

Consistent parry tactics can prove to be a great thing so practice them.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Sometimes I feel liek I have lots of free time, other I have none. This week I had my regular workload of 19 hours of class(their normal write-ups and HW), but also 3 midterms, 1 major test on a book I was supposed to have finished and 1 major project. . . but it all ends in 35 minutes with the last midterm . . . I might go to tournament Saturday, and I might be recorded! I hope so. . . tournament will almost certainly only have state players, maybe 20ish.

Edit: Awesome advice! Some of my thoughts completely unorganized. . . I noticed you seemed to get most of your damage from chip damage, which isn't as fun (in my opinion) as just going in and getting combos, but that looks like it is what you have to do against peach, so be it. I've never played a peach main, so anything I say about the MU is based on speculation and experience against (relatively) bad peach players. I don't really grab against floaties in general, say I can't guess any utility for Yoshis grabs on Peach. Considering stages, I think beacuse you both have long recoveries, but Peach is less likely to be gimped, closer blast lines are preferred for Yoshi, but so are platforms and room for maneuverability. I would guess PS, Bf and YS are good for Yoshi in this MU. . . I liked how you caught so many turnips, I also watched a video from ~ a year ago of you vs. Silly Kyle, and in both videos you caught turnips and parried them, which was nice, aside from the immediate solution of avoiding their turnip, keeping positioning and protecting yourself form their approach, you also make the peach have to use their turnips more intelligently, they can't just go throwing them around, which is also helpful.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I feel liek I have lots of free time, other I have none. This week I had my regular workload of 19 hours of class(their normal write-ups and HW), but also 3 midterms, 1 major test on a book I was supposed to have finished and 1 major project. . . but it all ends in 35 minutes with the last midterm . . . I might go to tournament Saturday, and I might be recorded! I hope so. . . tournament will almost certainly only have state players, maybe 20ish.

Edit: Awesome advice! Some of my thoughts completely unorganized. . . I noticed you seemed to get most of your damage from chip damage, which isn't as fun (in my opinion) as just going in and getting combos, but that looks like it is what you have to do against peach, so be it. I've never played a peach main, so anything I say about the MU is based on speculation and experience against (relatively) bad peach players. I don't really grab against floaties in general, say I can't guess any utility for Yoshis grabs on Peach. Considering stages, I think beacuse you both have long recoveries, but Peach is less likely to be gimped, closer blast lines are preferred for Yoshi, but so are platforms and room for maneuverability. I would guess PS, Bf and YS are good for Yoshi in this MU. . . I liked how you caught so many turnips, I also watched a video from ~ a year ago of you vs. Silly Kyle, and in both videos you caught turnips and parried them, which was nice, aside from the immediate solution of avoiding their turnip, keeping positioning and protecting yourself form their approach, you also make the peach have to use their turnips more intelligently, they can't just go throwing them around, which is also helpful.
Sounds exciting. Good luck buddy.
What's your field of study, if you don't mind me asking?

@@ edit: I could see closer blast lines behind beneficial for yoshi. I usually stay away from small stages against peach due to personal preference, but maybe I should give YS a try.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Just a small note: At :57 in your video against Silly Kyle, you could've gotten a kill with U-air. You probably knew this already but I just thought I'd point that out.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
"Eggstinction II"

Yep it's on the way..

I'll try to include a feature with Angel also...

and so far it's gonna blow the first one outta the water <3

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
"Eggstinction II"

Yep it's on the way..

I'll try to include a feature with Angel also...

and so far it's gonna blow the first one outta the water <3
Great news! I loved the first one, and by the sound of it I'll love the second one even more! I can't wait :)!

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I played the best set of my life today, but I don't think it was recorded and I choked at the end and lost. It was a lot of fun!

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
looking forward to a new combo video, and congratulations on the awesome set, I hope you don't choke next time. I didn't end up going to the tournament Saturday, because when I went to practice Friday night, it turned into someone's 21er, and I woke up with a terrible headache, and had something personal come up anyway, so I couldn't make it. (I had some crazy sets of smashed bros MMs, and my "breast cancer awareness Yoshi"(coined by drunk people) was a crowd favorite :p)

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
Thanks guys; I'll do better next time! I love that name! I think from now on I'm going to call the pink Yoshi "Breast cancer awareness Yoshi!"

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
hah, I really like the idea of BCAY yoshi.

** I would strike through the yoshi part as it is technically redundant but i never learned how.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
In the advanced section, use the s tag button, next to the
spoiler
button :p

Today I was thinking about it, and I don't use grabs very much, and I think that is because I have inconsistent DJC U-air to follow up, and am not too familiar on when to do what, because I don't grab enough to be familiar with it, forming a cycle of being bad :p

I've practiced some grabs, and need to practice more. D-throw -> DJC U-airs, U-smash and F-smash, and U-throw -> D-smash seem like the only useful throws (personal experience+what others have said) (I've also like B-throw -> regrab, but it isn't really a thing.) I noticed I still have a problem of getting overly eager with my DJC U-airs, and DJCing my jump instead. . . most notably from following up my D-throw. BCAY is cool. I don't know why I'm saying these things, like SWF is my diary or something. Goodnight, diary.

Nogzor'z

Smash Journeyman
Ahh yes the advanced section.
Thanks buddy now I can do this :))

I noticed I still have a problem of getting overly eager with my DJC U-airs, and DJCing my jump instead. . . most notably from following up my D-throw.
heh definitely happens to me every now and then and I hate it.
Like you said more experimentation of grabs will probably lead to more/better use of them.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
No problem. Also, that math midterm I studied for, I got a perfect score. I think starting out my studies with watching your Yoshi definitely inspired me! :p

Question . . . what moves do people try to parry? I only try to parry projectiles right now, every other move just seems too risky. . .

Top Bottom