• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Matchups & Best Stage Picks

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Read my first post about the mu :p

Edit: After a crazy expedition of frame data, I have learned many things and gained access to tools, very exciting!

I have found that when Link throws Yoshi at 0%, with Link not having any stale Queue, Frame 1-4 after release Yoshi is in hitlag, while frame 1-19 after release Link is in lag. One frame 5 Yoshi is in hitstun for 27 frames (until frame 32). Link can Start his U-tilt on frame 20, making it come out on frame 29, meaning at 0%, Link can combo D-throw -> U-tilt, except when Yoshi hits the ground. Also, unless Yoshi hits the ground Up-B (8 frames) and U-smash (11 frames) should also be combos. . .

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
Then kudos to Zelda, because her grab is about as bad as Yoshis :p

Also, interesting thing is Zelda's D-throw is weight dependent, similar to shines and stuff.

Zelda's D-throw is not weight dependent so will always be in a 15 frame disadvantage - hitstun.

At all %s, Zelda has a 2 frame advantage.

I think. . . I'm not sure if I'm doing it right but that is what I got.

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
So, my calculations were correct? I'm new to frame data, so don't take my word as fact (entirely).

Hoping I'm doing everything right, so far everything seems reasonable.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I rarely check frame data for stuff like this; I just use training mode. And Zelda's d-throw doesn't do anything to anyone (onstage) if they DI it correctly. Trajectory is awful.

I guess you could MAYBE setup a tech chase vs a FFer but that's about it.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I already have to fight a Pika.. :( His name is Axe, I don't like fighting THAT Pika, why would I wanna fight another one? though I do like the MU, (when it's not Axe) :p

On all serious tho, I didn't get to, all of AZ, lives very far, from where I reside, Angel, and I are sorta "outcast" from the rest of the AZ scene. :)

Purpletuce

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, he isn't of the caliber of Axe though. I wish he could have played you guys so he could compare things. . . maybe see some differences/try some things. Also, Since I now have frame data knowledge, I found some combos that lead into downB, (speaking strictly in terms of hitstun window) I found some fun numbers:

F-air can combo into DownB at minimum % from like 12% on jiggs to 25% samus. (assuming they bounce to the tip, so is it is on a space animal who barely leaves the ground, it won't work)

F-tilt can combo at 55% minimum for jiggs, ranging to 77% minimum for Samus

U-tilt can combo at 90% minimum for jiggs, ranging to 120% minimum for Samus.

I did this because I think comboing into DownB is cool, and DownB has serious knockback.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Helppp!!! lol Honeslty though. I'm quite salty. I've rencently been doing subpar against captain Falcon. Regardless of broken controller an what not. My performance was uncalled for. I believe my problem is comming from playing the neutral game with him. My orginal theory was tilts **** him. This is true but over commiting to those tilts have costed me stocks galore. I've found sheild drops and parrying coupled with cc always beneficial in this match. But yeah back to my orginal Q. What are some tips on gaining the upper hand in position against this hoe. My matches should be linked here sooon.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
I'll have to watch your matches to see what you're having trouble with, so I'll wait.

In general, you need to get a clean knock down on him first with something, usually F-air or grab. After that he's easy to tech chase and punish accordingly.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFwa7cKC7vM (me vs. Peter)
After watching and letting the salt filter out. I was kinda just playing bad. Not really focusing on my actions. First match I sd'd and missed some grabs that costed me stocks. Second match I overcommitted several times to smashes that pretty much screamed hit me. I dropped maybe two edge guard attempts at least, and really didn't flow or shield drop through the platforms like I should have. Overall it won't happen again. Smh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF0eHhTgcQI (me vs. Le Fou)
Them rolls smh. Through out some smashes which got punished. Also did a horrible job of addapting to illision onto the stage. I should have gone for short hop reverse nair and or back air when he was coming on the stage. The biggest thing again is just the rolls. Rolling here costed me some really good positions and left me open for some combos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxvBRgZa9_Q (Me vs Lock's Gannon)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-mx0mtJHwE ( Me vs Dr.PeePee)

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
The biggest thing I noticed was your movement. I noticed that you didn't move around nearly as much as you should've, making it easier for him to read you. If you're trying to parry, don't spend so long doing it if he's baiting it out. I also noticed that you didn't read his shielding habits much, causing you to get shield grabbed a lot. I saw quite a few grab opportunities and saw that you attacked his shield instead.

I did notice you overcommitting with attacks, like throwing out a lot of B-airs when he was below you and using a lot of laggy moves, like smashes, at low percents.

EDIT: You played much better against Dr. PeePee though; nice job!

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
How do you play the marth MU my friend just ends up grabbing me throwing me of stage and f- smashing me i lose my armor and die. and I'm not sure what to do, although I somewhat struggle with parrying.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
First, why is the Marth grabbing you? Are you approaching recklessly? Also you can just eat the first forward smash and recover after wards. Marth's edge guard against yoshi isn't super strong so you should be able to get back. Also you can attempt to DI out of the throws.

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Also note, parrying is absolutely not necessary at low to mid-low level play. Like if you want to win a lot of tourneys parrying would be sweet, but focus on just playing fundamentals correctly first.

Pabmyster

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pabmyster
You need to use more down tilt, because Marth should never be getting grabs on you like that unless you are recklessly attacking his shield or not playing any sort of neutral game whatsoever and just throwing out hitboxes. Marth does have great range, but Yoshi has the tools to circumvent Marth's approach, so the only way you are getting grabbed is because you are not playing the defensive, you do too much offense, or both.

ilikcereal101

Smash Cadet
Yea I started playing my neutral more carefully and got much better results if I got grabbed just ate the forward smash

Top Bottom