• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi General Discussion Thread!!

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
Ok if you have Falco probs, which every yoshi does, try using puff, or GANONDORF. ya i said it. Pull out that gdorf and go to work. use a stage with platforms. uair spam, wait for a grab dthrow to whatever you want. stomp him all day. basically you can kill him in 2 hits if ur edgegaurd is good. this mu is usually in falcos favor but you may be able to cath him off guard. anyway. id say its more of a 5/5 i like it.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I've picked up Ice Climbers, since wobbling is still legal around here lol.
They cover sheik pretty good as well and are fun to mess around with :3

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I can assure you, all falcos I have played were trying to gay me to the fullest of their abilies. Even so, I still think it's a very fun match, even when I'm getting demolished by my buddy drpp. There's just so much to think about in the matchup when you're playing it right, it's too fast paced and hectic. I love it.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Wooot, allrite yoshi players, it's been about 3 weeks, and I have multiple videos of my Yoshi.. vs some of AZ's best, only a few up right now, but I've some vs Axe's Pika/Falco and Forward, and many others, so hopefully this will do for now..

So here's my progress as of 3 weeks about...Check it out ^^ here at this thread.. ^^
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=272827

Winnar

Smash Lord
Double post but...

Hey guys I know we talk about it a lot but marth is really giving me troubles. I know a lot of you say you actually LIKE this matchup, but the more I play it the more I wonder how that is even possible.

Whenever I play yoshi vs marth I never feel like yoshi has the speed to bait and punish marth without taking massive damage. Also I can't seem to combo marth quiiiiite like falcon or fox or w/e

Oh yeah fox is tricky too, but at least you can combo fox I guess?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Marth can be troublesome if the person plays very grabby.

Grabby Marths (I mean more grabby than usual a.k.a. grab spamming like laser spam) will make this matchup extremely difficult. The Marth matchup isn't a bait and punish kinda deal, though, although it seems like that at first. The idea is similar to how characters try to beat Meta Knight in Brawl; you can't really bait because both characters are fast enough to react to different situations, but you are generally supposed to take advantage of the committal nature of their moves; that is to say, once they've started a move, they can't be very flexible with how they're moving or using it (this applies more to aerials and sliding moves) because of the duration of the moves and often the specificity of the type of attack used (this applies to grounded moves but can also apply to aerials).

So it works like this: typical bait-and-punish is what we saw a lot of in 05. You dash dance to force forward smashes and spotdodges or whatever (with whichever character). Play has become so quick now, however, that simply dash dancing (even very MENACING dash dancing, LOL) just doesn't cut it anymore and players can react more quickly with more precise moves with a higher success rate these days. That being said, simple bait and punish doesn't work. Now, the idea is not to force a move out of Marth, but rather to get him to swing at you naturally with the opponent under a fair degree of conviction that he will either 1] hit you or 2] wall you. In either instance, you want one of two things to happen: 1] don't get hit or 2] tank the hit and hit back harder.

In the first case, which is the most ideal for the short term, avoiding damage is obvious, but the key is finding a way to get in range quickly enough to make a hit that counts. For instance, let's say you manage to spot a forward smash from a low percent Marth coming at you while you're not being comboed (for whatever reason). Now, you can wavedash away, roll back, spot dodge, triangle jump, etc. to try to really get in range enough to punish this move. Your own forward smash counter (which is one of our tried and true techniques) isn't really the BEST option, per se, since Marth is at a low percent and using the forward smash now will only lead to some damage and weaken the move damage-wise for the next thirty seconds of battle or so, making it a less favorable option later on in the stock. Did you know (and here's some helpful Yoshi math--I love number crunching in this game) that if you manage to spot a forward smash in time on a Marth that is around or at least at 10%, that the best way to punish is to roll INTO him? When you roll in, you can up tilt out of the roll and, IF YOU FOLLOW DI PROPERLY, you can score a triple DJC up air into an aerial finisher and it's pretty much guaranteed. How much damage is that? More than forward smash, which would otherwise be the go-to counter in a similar situation with a few differing parameters. This first case of avoiding getting hit works in the short term because it leads to heavy momentum swings and lots of burst damage.

In the second case, I'm mainly referring to DJing through aerials to counter. You might be saying to yourself, "That sounds like suicide at the very least, especially against such a good character," but one of Yoshi's greater general strengths that extend across many of his matchups is that he can go blow for blow against most characters in the game and still come out on top because of his high overall survivability. Pound for pound, few (and I mean this) characters can match his knockback and damage output while still being able to survive on the other end when you constantly slam Yoshi and another character at each other under a reasonable set of circumstances. If you're being comboed, try to eat a non-tip move and jump into the next one AS YOU SEE IT COMING. This doesn't really work if you just jump after you get hit by something expecting a follow-up hit because then if the other person messes up (F*CK BAD PLAYERS THIS HAPPENS MORE OFTEN THAN YOU THINK) or just decides to bait YOU (!!) then you're worse off than Sheik using her double jump. So wait and see what the next move is, jump through it IF YOU HAVE A GOOD FOLLOW UP FOR WHAT YOU CAN COUNTER WITH, and then counter and proceed to hit as hard as you can. This second case of tanking moves is good for the long run because while the first case is more favorable for the short term, it makes players more reserved to begin attack sequences over the extended course of a match, making them more campy, making you more lose-y. This case makes players more reluctant to attack so much DURING their sequences, making combos riskier, making them hold back on a front where most characters typically have no defense, and giving you (my favorite) a mental foothold.

In short, you want Marth to attack you. The more he attacks, the better off you are. The more you can convince him to attack even though you're somehow still hitting him, THE MO BETTA. It's a delicate balance between beating him up and giving him enough damage to make him keep wanting to stab at you.

Fox you can combo, but he should be tirelessly running away and shooting lasers at every single character in the game BECAUSE HE IS A HUGE F*CKING F@GGOT, so I mean, I guess that argument is kinda (?) moot, but I don't want it to seem like your opinion doesn't matter so I'll say, "Okay," even though I genuinely do not agree that Fox is winnable at all, much less anywhere comparable to even the hardest Marth.

Seba

Smash Cadet
Yoshi vs Marth is determined on how good your spacing is, since Marth has good combos on Yoshi and you can't combo him back that well like in the Falcon matchup.

DJC seems helpful when avoiding the Ken combo and the many variations of it. Marth's range makes it very difficult for Yoshi to approach tho. I think Yoshi players enjoy this matchup because most Marths are unfamiliar with it or simply because it's pretty challenging trying to find an opening on Marth.

Fox is Yoshi's worst matchup imo. You can combo him but a Fox that barely knows the matchup will **** Yoshi without mercy. I would put Sheik as second and Falco or Marth as third.

Winnar

Smash Lord
wooooow text

I don't remember saying that I thought yoshi vs fox was good, but I find it more enjoyable than marth vs yoshi

at least at my level of play

but thanks for the advice :O

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Haha ... Shiri wrote a Marth guide!
Sound advice, as far as I know about the match.

Though, I'm having trouble with yoshi's survivability versus Marth.
I have no trouble trading damage (and often beating it)
But often I find myself off the stage over 60%, and that suddenly means I've lost a stock.

Because Marth seems to be one of the few characters that can edgeguard yoshi.
Fsmash and dair take your jump away over 60% ...
And my floaty*** jump just doesn't leave me a reliable way around those attacks at the ledge.
So I recover high, and hope I can get the ground.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but it seems like I can't live nearly as long against Marth.
It's not terrible, but I don't feel as nigh-on-invincible in my recovery as I normally do.

Of course, since the falcos around here have figured out their shine breaks my jump at 0%
Recovering has become a bit of a challenge anyway.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
:yoshi: Marth can be troublesome if the person plays very grabby.

Grabby Marths (I mean more grabby than usual a.k.a. grab spamming like laser spam) will make this matchup extremely difficult. The Marth matchup isn't a bait and punish kinda deal, though, although it seems like that at first. The idea is similar to how characters try to beat Meta Knight in Brawl; you can't really bait because both characters are fast enough to react to different situations, but you are generally supposed to take advantage of the committal nature of their moves; that is to say, once they've started a move, they can't be very flexible with how they're moving or using it (this applies more to aerials and sliding moves) because of the duration of the moves and often the specificity of the type of attack used (this applies to grounded moves but can also apply to aerials).

So it works like this: typical bait-and-punish is what we saw a lot of in 05. You dash dance to force forward smashes and spotdodges or whatever (with whichever character). Play has become so quick now, however, that simply dash dancing (even very MENACING dash dancing, LOL) just doesn't cut it anymore and players can react more quickly with more precise moves with a higher success rate these days. That being said, simple bait and punish doesn't work. Now, the idea is not to force a move out of Marth, but rather to get him to swing at you naturally with the opponent under a fair degree of conviction that he will either 1] hit you or 2] wall you. In either instance, you want one of two things to happen: 1] don't get hit or 2] tank the hit and hit back harder.

In the first case, which is the most ideal for the short term, avoiding damage is obvious, but the key is finding a way to get in range quickly enough to make a hit that counts. For instance, let's say you manage to spot a forward smash from a low percent Marth coming at you while you're not being comboed (for whatever reason). Now, you can wavedash away, roll back, spot dodge, triangle jump, etc. to try to really get in range enough to punish this move. Your own forward smash counter (which is one of our tried and true techniques) isn't really the BEST option, per se, since Marth is at a low percent and using the forward smash now will only lead to some damage and weaken the move damage-wise for the next thirty seconds of battle or so, making it a less favorable option later on in the stock. Did you know (and here's some helpful Yoshi math--I love number crunching in this game) that if you manage to spot a forward smash in time on a Marth that is around or at least at 10%, that the best way to punish is to roll INTO him? When you roll in, you can up tilt out of the roll and, IF YOU FOLLOW DI PROPERLY, you can score a triple DJC up air into an aerial finisher and it's pretty much guaranteed. How much damage is that? More than forward smash, which would otherwise be the go-to counter in a similar situation with a few differing parameters. This first case of avoiding getting hit works in the short term because it leads to heavy momentum swings and lots of burst damage.

In the second case, I'm mainly referring to DJing through aerials to counter. You might be saying to yourself, "That sounds like suicide at the very least, especially against such a good character," but one of Yoshi's greater general strengths that extend across many of his matchups is that he can go blow for blow against most characters in the game and still come out on top because of his high overall survivability. Pound for pound, few (and I mean this) characters can match his knockback and damage output while still being able to survive on the other end when you constantly slam Yoshi and another character at each other under a reasonable set of circumstances. If you're being comboed, try to eat a non-tip move and jump into the next one AS YOU SEE IT COMING. This doesn't really work if you just jump after you get hit by something expecting a follow-up hit because then if the other person messes up (F*CK BAD PLAYERS THIS HAPPENS MORE OFTEN THAN YOU THINK) or just decides to bait YOU (!!) then you're worse off than Sheik using her double jump. So wait and see what the next move is, jump through it IF YOU HAVE A GOOD FOLLOW UP FOR WHAT YOU CAN COUNTER WITH, and then counter and proceed to hit as hard as you can. This second case of tanking moves is good for the long run because while the first case is more favorable for the short term, it makes players more reserved to begin attack sequences over the extended course of a match, making them more campy, making you more lose-y. This case makes players more reluctant to attack so much DURING their sequences, making combos riskier, making them hold back on a front where most characters typically have no defense, and giving you (my favorite) a mental foothold.

In short, you want Marth to attack you. The more he attacks, the better off you are. The more you can convince him to attack even though you're somehow still hitting him, THE MO BETTA. It's a delicate balance between beating him up and giving him enough damage to make him keep wanting to stab at you.

Fox you can combo, but he should be tirelessly running away and shooting lasers at every single character in the game BECAUSE HE IS A HUGE F*CKING F@GGOT, so I mean, I guess that argument is kinda (?) moot, but I don't want it to seem like your opinion doesn't matter so I'll say, "Okay," even though I genuinely do not agree that Fox is winnable at all, much less anywhere comparable to even the hardest Marth.
Very nice guide. I'll try my spacing for the matchup when it comes around again.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Recovering against Marth shouldn't be too hard. Trading against his aerials with backwards nair is easy and really effective if the marth is stupid enough to attack you, if you do this once most marths wont come after you when your in double jump weight increase mode and wait for your double jump to wear off and do stuff (which is the best way to edgeguard Yoshi).

Keep trying to bait their aerials though and switch it up with down b's to the edge. If you do get hit out of it by a lucky tipper move or something, untumbling is a lifesaver and airdodging high to fastfall can throw someones timing off.

Against falco, never recover from below if they know of the 'shine spike'.

Marth is probably my favorite matchup with Yoshi, together with Peach, since they both dont really have a response to attacks from below, making them some of the easiest to combo.

Just use your eggs from far, make them come to you, bait and punish to r@pe. DJC upair stuff to full jump fair to jab reset to fsmash is really really good against them. Also rolling against a Marth can be really good if their not too grabby, but I personally prefer to just 'absorb' fsmash hits with a really quick shield and release (with Yoshi having no hitstun and all) to DJC upair/nair.

Last but not least, I recorded some freestyle stuff for HMW tech off if you heard of it, will probably edit and release it tomorrow, get hype :D

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
It's really hard to compete with a good Marth, I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, except I love eggs in the match, since marth doesn't have a projectile of his own, and it often forces Marth's in the air in an attempt to fair away eggs. When Marth's in the air is when he's the easiest to read, and has the least amount of power, so it's easier to double jump through his attacks or bait something, etc.

Here's some tourney vids from this weekend... I was meh, but they were mostly weird matches xD

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=273290

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Hello Yoshi, Forums, Allrite i'm going on about a month of Yoshi, and as said earlier, i'm loving this guy...Luckily has some great players in AZ... I would rather not contribute in terms of Yoshi's matchups, because i most likely do not know as much as you all about them, however, I will upload try to upload some videos of two of AZ's finest Marth's (Taj, Tai) and see how I can contribute, how to play them...

Also, I can get some matches in with Axe too, since his multicharacter game is far above average.. and hopefully i can show/demonstrate many matchups.. I'll get them asap ^^

Ironically enough, Im rather ok with this matchup, some approaches, are interesting, but I'd say i'm somewhat confident w/this matchup.. Hopefully with more experience I can elaborate better.. ^^

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
It's really hard to compete with a good Marth, I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, except I love eggs in the match, since marth doesn't have a projectile of his own, and it often forces Marth's in the air in an attempt to fair away eggs. When Marth's in the air is when he's the easiest to read, and has the least amount of power, so it's easier to double jump through his attacks or bait something, etc.

Here's some tourney vids from this weekend... I was meh, but they were mostly weird matches xD

Sooo let me get this straight, two Yoshi mains were actually at the same time, at the same place, and no ditto's were recorded?

Unforgivable :embarrass

(Good stuff on taking matches from Chad and ihsb though ;))

Rin10-10

Smash Ace

Haha ... you took Bunbun's kirby (eventually).
That's something I could never do consistently.

Nice matches vs IHSB, too.
Kinda wish we'd gotten ta see the one you took from him,
But I learned some awesome anti-samus stuff from watching you play, nonetheless.

BunBun

Smash Master
Sooo let me get this straight, two Yoshi mains were actually at the same time, at the same place, and no ditto's were recorded?

Unforgivable :embarrass

(Good stuff on taking matches from Chad and ihsb though ;))
A few months ago they teamed together. Here's one match.

I have a bunch more recorded, but I'm way too busy/lazy to upload them still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAEDo2bEpoM

Also, Justin, KO's Monthly in August. 10 Minute timed match, a beer / stock, and a 40 if you don't lose any lives. Let's do it.

And more late night video shenanigans.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
@Mindtrick, Have you ever played any Yoshi dittos? There prolly aren't many other Yoshi's up where you live, so you must not know of the utter horrid bull**** that is the Yoshi ditto. It's ridiculously boring, and I do not recommend it for anybody that wishes to remain sane, or continue enjoying playing Yoshi. Most of my friendlies with Bloshi at this tourney were me giving him tips on other matches xD

@Bunbun, Good sir, perhaps you're unawares of the fact I'm only of the ripe young age of 20!! That would be breaking the law for me to consume alcohol!!

...<coughyoureoncough>

Winnar

Smash Lord
Bloshi and I did yoshi dittos, I thought they were fun.

Then we did doubles and got destroyed

except in friendlies lol

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
There's only one playstyle that actually allows you to win though :p. Yoshi ***** Yoshi, so normally the more aggressive Yoshi will lose, after he gets hit out of his double jump and comboed like crazy. Most of the match is just getting in chip hits, and watching the other Yoshi flutter away, or CC it so they can hit you right back. Yoshi can't edgeguard Yoshi either, which is completely stupid. You throw eggs when they're off stage, and if you're feelin lucky, try to eat their jump with a f-air. Yoshi dittos are just dull when both people are actively trying to win, and know HOW to play the match.

Yea, there are different styles of playing Yoshi, but the best "style" is being able to switch between what's good in a specific situation. Even though I really love playing aggro Yoshi, I can always break out the defensive campy one when I need to.

Bloshi what do you think of our Yoshi dittos?

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I think all matchups in this game are fun, even the total BS ones. Challenge is nice. It's just a fun game.

But yeah you're right about the campy Yoshi winning. Whenever I decided to back off and dash dance or something things went better lol. It's cuz fair, the only real stunner move that starts combos, is so hard to get off on the maneuverable Yoshi, unless he's committing to things.

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
can we talk about edgeguarding with yoshi? or can someone direct me to some edgegaurding discussion
i always gimp the **** out of myself when going offstage with his nair
dair and fair are good, and fsmash and dsmash
anything else?

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Eggs. They're a wholesome part of a complete breakfast!
As an added bonus, they're a setup for a down smash.
Space them correctly, and you can pop your opponent up into a down air.
On stories, you can ferry most characters straight into the bottom of the screen
While still making your own way back to safety.
(Just don't fast-fall ... unless your spacing is spot on, it's a sure way to die. O_o)

Seriously. Egg hitstun is baller. Ledge cancel the move, and it's not completely terrible!

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
can we talk about edgeguarding with yoshi? or can someone direct me to some edgegaurding discussion
i always gimp the **** out of myself when going offstage with his nair
dair and fair are good, and fsmash and dsmash
anything else?
I tend to avoid offstage edgeguarding for the most part unless the recovery is really really predictable like... DK or something.

Lets see who we have:

Spacies
They can switch it up a lot with two different recoveries. Dsmash/dtilt, rising nair, eggs, egghog/instant edgehog are your best tools for dealing with all of their options. You'll need to pick up on their habits though. For example if they come from above they have so many options and different timing options for the illusion.

Rising nair is best if you think they will illusion just above the ledge (coming from above). Egghog is best if they have a jump left and come from below, to cover their jump hight and sweetspot attempt. Last minute insta edgehog stuff like sweetspot firefox from above, or if you know they are too far to get on the ledge and can only grab it. Platforms complicate things a bit, so if they are coming in high, egg them a lot.

mind trick exclusive: When they come from belowand firefox, jump over them and reverse neutral b. Very satisfying when you pull it off :)

Jiggs
Eggs, upair, upsmash. You cant really edgeguard her, so just stand back and bombard. If they dont go to the ledge and come in high, keep egging and go for an upair/upsmash if you think you have a shot. Upsmash through platforms if they go for that.

Sheik
Egg em, last minute insta edgehog, waveland on, dsmash and repeat. Offstage dair is pretty good sometimes as well. If they go for platforms, use upsmash if you can, otherwise nair is your best bet.

Marth
Same as sheik really, except for the dair, dont do that.

Ganon/Falcon
Dsmash and insta edgehog is all you need really. They tend to prefer to come in high though, you have two options then. Hit them off with a nair again, although this can actually get them even higher at not too high %'s, or if you have good reflexes/time travel powers, you can follow them to where they land and dsmash again.

Watch out for the ridiculous range those up-b hitboxes have. If they go for riding walls and you are not too familiar with their vertical recovery height (sweetspot or not), use the Sheik method, dsmash might lead to walljumptech up-b/bair and that can really hurt.

IC's
Dtilt to fair on nana. Fair or dsmash sopo. If they are together and use up-b its best to just go after nana in my experience, after the hurtbox is gone of course.

Samus
Egg the bomb recovery, dsmash/insta edgehog up-b's, for the grapple... I have no idea really. Letting go, double jumping and using a nair perhaps? Can be kinda risky though.

Mario's
See sheik, replace dair with fair.

Luigi
Fair and insta edgehog. Don't egg him.

Pikachu
Pikachu's like to sweetspot, insta edgehog accordingly and egg their side b. Because of the weird hitbox on up-b you can also try down-b to the edge (can backfire horribly though). If they go on the stage, use the Sheik method, and (optional) replace dsmash with grab -> downthrow -> fullhop fair -> jab -> ****.

In other completely unrelated news: I went to a tourney yesterday, didnt do too horribly going all Yoshi (took a match from Adam's marth and almost had Utto, best peach around here) and have decided to main Ice Climbers now :laugh: (for MU's other than Marth/Jiggly/Peach/LT's)

bahamutz69

Smash Journeyman
jeeze mind trick is a beast
i was really just talking about spacies up+b but i was really vague lol
thats awesome, thank you :]
im also picking up ICs again, theyre too good
desynch combos/hand off combos are great

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Hey i have a question, Do yall still play high tiers with yoshi. And have faith of a win. I mean i still do it. But I defientely secondary falco just cuz yoshi almost 0 chance against a smart competive fox. I can do around same lv people. But anything higher than that, almost seems like a lost cause. So i guess the question is, Do yall still pit yoshi agaisnt High tiers in competive play.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
I play a lot of different characters in friendlies, but when it comes down to it, my Yoshi excels far, far beyond them. I'd say most of my other chars are at tourney standard level, but my Yoshi is just better than that, and because I've been playing him for so long, I'm more confident in my skill and matchup knowledge with him than I am with any other character. Since it's like that, I always stick with Yoshi, and I don't think it's very hard to keep my confidence high at all. Sometimes though, I get a little depressed because I feel like I should beat people a lot more often, but my character is holding me back, but I love Yoshi, so I'll play solely him in tourney, until I quit smash.

Also, it helps that I play with some good players pretty often, so I get used to having those hard matches with good players, and I learn my ways around them. Matches may definitely not be in Yoshi's favor, but I've proven to myself a bunch of times that Yoshi can beat those high/top tier characters. In friendlies I've done well vs chad's fox, and Eggm's fox, at pound4 I was getting D1's fox down to like last hit each match, and in a tourney awhile ago, I almost took matches off of Lozr's fox too. The match is definitely hard, but it's also definitely not impossible like a bunch of you guys say.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
Thanks man I needed that. Cuz lately my yoshi had done fine against captian and okay with peach and marth. But twitch and savage fox's destroyed yoshi. Lol well savage is just all around ****. While with falco I feel hes more suited for the match. But yeah thanks again And next semester when Im up here I'll definetly use yoshi more against those top tiers. And I might try and play some georgia peeps this summer.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
If you like winning, you definitely need a secondary, mostly for spacies, falcon, sheik imo. Fox covers all pretty well sadly -_-

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
lol yeah I found that secondary part out a long time ago. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth though. My falco has grown on me.

Top Bottom