• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi General Discussion Thread!!

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
I feel like writing some stuff... :) so I'll just put random ish in here that I thought about during matches lol

1. Good players wait for you to roll if you are under pressure, solution; release your shield and dsmash, I know it sounds ******** but it actually works.

2. Tech in place -> Fsmash is pretty good if someone is running after you to followup.

3. Techchasing platforms is too much fun, some of the best options:
- Harass with djc upair or upsmash for the kill if it reaches.
- Fullhop a dair and edgecancel it (easier than it sounds) to djc upair or waveland back on, this eats shields for the shieldstab upair or gives a ****ton of damage.
- Use your doublejump to land and immediately dashgrab, the most amazing one imo :D (a spacie accually di'ed down away or something my downthrow and I could dropzone off it :p)

4. On the heavier/bigger/fastfaller cast, fullhop bair to land on a platform to dsmash leads to really early kills, not many get the DI right on this one.

5. Moonwalk to egghog as much as you can makes you a good Yoshi player xD

6. ECE can be a gameplan against non-gay needle throwing *****es.

7. Double Jump Landing has much more potential than I first thought, mainly because of turning around with it and tilting.

8. Kamikaze killing with RDJC Fair from the ledge is totally worth it on your last stock.

9. Shielddropping is something I really need to work on, its such a good solution to the stuck in your shield on a platform dilemma we all know.

Bloshi

Smash Ace
Oh yeah I've been shielddropping for months now it never lets me down. Except when they just grab. Then its terrible. Also just grabbing when they are expecting a roll is loooooooool and works sometimes.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Yay mindtrick, giving me something to respond to!!

1) I prefer drop shield to f-tilt, rather than d-smash. I'm pretty sure it's faster, and d-smash is so low that it can be jumped over, and most aproaches are aerials so eh... Dropping shield is brilliant though, nobody expects it ^^

2) Never thought of that, I'll have to try that. One more mix up for getting chased could never hurt, I suppose :p

3) I should practice edgecanceling the d-air, pretty nifty there mind trick. Most platforms to me seem a bit too small for the djl dash grab thing... I'd **** up that horrible spacing T.T I think I'd prefer to just get a definite punish out of a platform tech than a gimmicky grab.

4) You think dat ****'s cool, you should try a perfect DJC b-air so you just kinda go straight down without turning around (there's a few frames before Yoshi turns around in his RDJ, so you can effectively DJC a b-air and then fast fall it immediately. You gotta full jump it though for the hit to come out) The point of this is that if you hit it on pretty much any character, low enough on the ground you can combo into d-smash, or f-tilt. Yaaay b-air! Yaaaaaay Yoshiiii!!!!

5) I guess I suck then :<

6)ECE CAN be a gameplan? Correction: that **** SHOULD be your gameplan. ECE and camping like a *****, in serious matches, at least.

7) Still situational though, as I'm pretty sure just turning around to tilt is faster, which limits it to out of a dash, or DJL on platforms (which actually sounds relatively useful... <note to self, practice platform tricksies>)

8) <3 Why not moonwalk to kamikaze (R)DJC f-air? Vids plx.

9) I could use some work on this too, really. I heard about it a long time ago, but that was back when I couldn't even up tilt because I thought the joystick was too sensitive, and now I can RECE with some consistency :p. Anyways, I'm still not fairly sure how it's done. Bloshi, I'll promise to try not to hate you(as much) if you give meh tipz0rz on how to do it.

I feel boring to have a post without saying something new and intuitive to Yoshi game so uhhh... <thinks> How about I have a mini edgeguarding rant? I wonder why I said that as a question, it's not like you guys can influence it, you don't get a say in what I post, so HAH, take this!

This is actually something that's been bothering me for awhile, cuz I suck at edgeguarding, to be honest. I don't particularly know whyyyy I suck at edgeguarding, I just kinda do. Maybe it's my spacing or timing, or just I generally get nervous thinking things like, "Woohoo, they're finally off the stage ^^," and then I let em back and get all sad. Right... Anyways >.> ... What exactly are Yoshi's most effective or easiest options? It's hard to say specifics, seeing as too many characters have too many options... agh, I'm confused, it's too hard to talk about edgeguarding because everything's circumstancial x.x Anyways, some things to think about: Yoshi can dropzone with n-air, and f-air, it's just I'm pretty sure you have to like IASA cancel them early to actually survive it (try it yourself, it's so weird, you either make it back, or you don't even come close, can also wavedash off to reverse n-air since hitbox is better) There's that, and I don't exactly know how useful it is compared to d-smash/tilt, but the f-smash/tilt can both be angled down. I'm not sure how low they go, or if they're more efficient to stop sweetspotting/ low recoveries in general, or how the hitboxes in them are, since the main problem with me trying to use d-smash/tilt is I tend to end up getting hit a loooot. But eh... I dunno, edgeguarding just eludes me sometimes. I think it's why I suck :p So what do you peoples think is the easiest way to edgeguard, or anybody got tips on spacing the d-smash to not get hit or something?

Maybe I should just mindgame people into Yoshi bomb kills so I never have to edgeguard again... That sounds easier, I'll do that. Forced platform tech to Yoshi bomb KO... I'm coining it now... that particular combo is now called "the moocifer" you get it? like Lucifer... but with moo in it >.> Moonihilation doesn't sound right... hmmm "Oh ****, you just got moonihilated" kinda catchy actually. Oh well, only time will tell.

You guys must hate me. Peeeeeace!!
~Moo

Bloshi

Smash Ace
What tips lol? Just drop your shield. The best time is the awkward pause when they're just...waiting. That or as fast as possible. But don't do it in between because that's when a lot of other characters spot dodge.

Speaking of spot dodge, it's not a bad option to get out of shield. I never seem to use it though. Huh

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Bloshi is silly. Shielddropping is when you drop through the platform with your shield up by slowly kinda angling the control stuck down and to the side. At least that's what I thought mind trick was talking about... Maybe I'm just crazy.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
With shielddropping I mean when your on a platform, then tilt your control stick diagonally down to drop through the platform (a yoshi OoS option omgwtfhax o_O), 'dropping' your shield button I usually just call releasing it :p

Yoshi bomb platform techchasing sounds hot.... errr I mean the moonihilator :D
Jab reset to jump over turnaround neutral b on spacies near the edge is coined the mind trick around here, you heard it here first ;)

Edgeguarding eh, here's a short overview of what I do :p
When they are far away, eggz away :D

Floaties: egg those *****es and get an upsmash in, against Peach last minute edgehog if they come from below, or if theyre just floating waiting for... I dont know :p dunking with a fair is good :D
Characters with bad predictable stuff: dsmash away or edgehog if you see a sweetspot coming, dk, falcon & ganon coming from below you can just dair and drag em down.
Marth: downtilt and insta edgehog are your friend
Sheik: steal the edge, force em on, waveland dsmash/fsmash.
Spacies: I like to do a sliding egg to cover both the space they are gonna jump into and the sweetspot option, if you feel bold just jump with a nair at the space you think theyre gonna jump. Nowadays a lot of em like to do up b diagonally down to sweetspot instantly, last minute edgehog is good stuff here. also dsmash always good if you feel they are gonna shoot over and you dont have time to stop them from doing so.
Luigi: fair. edgehog.

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
Yea, you pretty much said what I try to do xD Well, except the egg thing to spacies, I never really thought about the sliding egg, I just kinda aim it at where they'd jump/forward b, since the egg breaks it, but if I can do that while canceling it on the edge by sliding, it'd be a ton more effective.

It's probably just my style that's getting to my edgeguarding. I can do the obvious stuff like waiting for insta-edgehog, but then I try to do fancy things that I picture going a lot better in my head. I think my favorite thing to do is pretend I'm falcon, and use my n-air like his reverse knee after I force people back on to the stage. Oooh, or when I drop from the edge, and do a n-air while ramping the stage to hit sweetspotters with the back hitbox... it's so prettiful.

Oh Yoshi, why can't you do cool edgeguarding thingies effectively?

Bloshi

Smash Ace
I wasn't aware of this shielddropping technique! I will try it right away!

EDIT: Wow this is awesome. I actually find it easier to supershield into a drop, since it's just like some kind of bizarro wavedash without the jump button. That would be ultra sexy in matches. But yeah this **** is a great option, if not a little finicky with the control stick angle.

YOSHIDO

Smash Ace
wow i've never tried sheilddropping with yoshi. I usually jump or waveland away. Or drop through with n air when on a platform. I'll defintely try and incorporate it though

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Isn't there the regular way and then like a super quick way or something?

I remember I tried to use it when Magus made that video about it a few years ago, but it always took me like ten years to do the roll under motion and I would just get hit.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
practise makes perfect Shiri :p I can do it pretty consistently now

a fun thing I just discovered while doing some random tech stuff on Yoshi's Story
use the jump option from the ledge and if you do a last instant aerial you can immediately edge cancel it into whatever you want, nair to (djc) upair comes to mind if you ever catch someone in that position :p

also if you wave land off a top platform and keep the momentum, sudden momentum switch of djc bair makes it easy to edge cancel the side platforms (YS, BF, FoD)

and last useless thingy of the day: you can actually move forward or backward in a really weird way by holding diagonally down (chrouching) and doing repeated DJL's.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I meant the animation took ten years.

It actually took me a few weeks to le--OH BE QUIET MIND TRICK GEEZ

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
and last useless thingy of the day: you can actually move forward or backward in a really weird way by holding diagonally down (chrouching) and doing repeated DJL's.
Best tech-skill ... EVER.
I just practiced that for twenty minutes straight.
And I'm probably NEVER going to use it.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
something very useless that has a sole purpose of making your opponent go wtf (mix with crouch, normal djl to have the most ******** yoshi :p)

Winnar

Smash Lord
Press jump

press jump again

if you went in the air you did it too slowly

stands for double jump landing btw

yoshiiscool

Smash Journeyman
The crouch DJL will be added to my list of "taunts to use when you take off a stock." I have a few that I use already, but this will definitely be a welcomed addition to the list.

My favorite, though, has always been just dashing to the edge for Yoshi's teeter animation. How he just kinda flails his arms and goes "Abababa." Best taunt ever. Teeter then wavedash back, and then wavedash forward to reteeter (waveteetering ftw)... see how many teeters you can get before your opponent comes back. It's good fun, trust me.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I used to do that, but I would always wavedash off the edge into an airdodge.

I was never really that good at doing anything technical near the edge.

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Anyone care to fill me in on this uselessness? I'm so confused... hahaha. I feel out of the loop, and as a Yoshi main in this Yoshi thread, that's not good. :/

Winnar

Smash Lord
MSF, I'll explain it a little better. You know how at the beginning of yoshi's jump he dips down slightly?

If you jump, then immediately double jump, then the dip will make yoshi land on the ground again. It's really funny looking and very spammable

but ultimately useless

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
I camp with eggs and then spam tilts to thwart approaches. Too bad Yoshi's head is too d4mn big to crouch under lasers.

Mind Trick

Smash Ace
Prepare for wall of text on recent experiences of me :embarrass

So I went to a small tourney with some top players present and I noticed the following sadly: Netherlands have turned into Falcoville (myself included, but no more from now on). Pretty much every high level player plays a mean *** falco which they don't hesitate to use against my poor Yoshi :(

Pools I did alright, could have done a bit better though, threw away a 2 to 1 stock advantage against zgetto's falcon twice, and against utto forgot that I absolutely hate Fountain of Dreams (and he knows that) and banned Dreamland instantly before thinking >_< jv3'd his peach on final d though so that was pretty satisfying I guess :p Enig was playing a smart campy fox, was a 2 stock I believe, switched to falco and got ***** lol
Rest of the pool was a doc, falco/fox, fox.

Bracket I kinda did ok, took a match of Remen's falco, then he switched to fox and 1 stocked me, kinda closer than I expected :p
Played vs exalador's ness in lb, fun matchup ^_^ won 3-1.
Then came up against Adam, and he horribly ***** my yoshi, two 3 stocks I believe.

So yeah... I'm thinking now I either need to switch mains to Marth or IC's or something, or really really really work on that powershield wavedash (still sooo inconsistent with that) and supershielding (the first option is probably a lot easier LOL).

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Prepare for wall of text on recent experiences of me :embarrass

So I went to a small tourney with some top players present and I noticed the following sadly: Netherlands have turned into Falcoville (myself included, but no more from now on). Pretty much every high level player plays a mean *** falco which they don't hesitate to use against my poor Yoshi :(

Pools I did alright, could have done a bit better though, threw away a 2 to 1 stock advantage against zgetto's falcon twice, and against utto forgot that I absolutely hate Fountain of Dreams (and he knows that) and banned Dreamland instantly before thinking >_< jv3'd his peach on final d though so that was pretty satisfying I guess :p Enig was playing a smart campy fox, was a 2 stock I believe, switched to falco and got ***** lol
Rest of the pool was a doc, falco/fox, fox.

Bracket I kinda did ok, took a match of Remen's falco, then he switched to fox and 1 stocked me, kinda closer than I expected :p
Played vs exalador's ness in lb, fun matchup ^_^ won 3-1.
Then came up against Adam, and he horribly ***** my yoshi, two 3 stocks I believe.

So yeah... I'm thinking now I either need to switch mains to Marth or IC's or something, or really really really work on that powershield wavedash (still sooo inconsistent with that) and supershielding (the first option is probably a lot easier LOL).
I noticed this, too actually. Falco is a larger majority of the mains used lately. I recently played in a tourny with Yoshi and lost to Falco in the finals. xD

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I've been playing Yoshi for 3 weeks now and have continued strong on it, Im most likely not gonna stop till my Yoshi, can match my m2 status!... <3 Yoshi, I wanna make him big ^^

Top Bottom