• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
lol @ "jerking to jash footage" <3

super lol @ Laijin looking like DeeJay. Wowwww I never put that together hahaha he totally does. Laijin you have a new cosplay assignment.

I'd love to go to Rom3 but ... so far :/

RHAN IF YOU COME TO T06 WE CAN MAKE BABIES TOGETHER (aka I'll be there...)

rhan

Smash Hero
All the more reason to come. Things are looking very bright for me. 2 days of working the hell of a job and I made 222 bucks! And now I get to work my full week! (Only Mon-Wens) I'll be stacked by the time this comes around. I just hope my internal clock will allow me to be awake before 5pm...

F**** working all night shifts...

rhan

Smash Hero
I believe that Laijin. xD

Also TO6 looks like likely since Tope and other Richmond folk are going. They'll most likely be my ride down there. I'm hype! Having my own money and making my own rules is kick ***!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Priority isn't data you can just find. It doesn't really exist, it's just that moves that are stonger than the opponents move by at least 10%, break right through it. Otherwise it's just whoever has the longest disjointed hitbox and hits the opponent's hurtbox without being hit themselves.

YL has a sword that's not too bad.

jalued

Smash Lord
Priority isn't data you can just find. It doesn't really exist, it's just that moves that are stonger than the opponents move by at least 10%, break right through it. Otherwise it's just whoever has the longest disjointed hitbox and hits the opponent's hurtbox without being hit themselves.

YL has a sword that's not too bad.
i guess i can just work it out myself then :)

how about BKB and KBG values?

rhan

Smash Hero
Ocean: Good s***! I know NC is going to be in there deaaaaapppp.

Jalued: Abbreviations suck. But if you want top priority. Nair.

jalued

Smash Lord

Jalued: Abbreviations suck. But if you want top priority. Nair.

sorry :(

sadly young links dair has less priority than falco and fox's upB... infuriating when trying to edgeguard them :p

one last question: does the second hit of Ylink's bair go beneath the stage like peach's bair? i cant find any hitbox data for it

jalued

Smash Lord
I have never tried that. But why would you want to edge guard using b-air?
just as a last resort if fox/falco try to sweetspot the edge and your not set up for nairs, bombs etc

would then also be useful for forcing a tech -> illusion recovery, which you could punish with dair or dsmash:)

ive also been messing around with the zair for edgeguarding, and my conclusion: it sucks! :p i guess it could be used as a last resort if used carefully.

also, is there any use for fullhop, arrow, waveland? in my head it can set up for anything, but im guessing its too slow of a setup and has too much commitment behind it. any suggestions?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
sadly young links dair has less priority than falco and fox's upB... infuriating when trying to edgeguard them :p
Aerials don't have priority vs moves like that. You can only outrange them. Priority on aerials works when stopping items (like jiggs **** n-air)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm so people actually post here?

hehe i entered as young link in a teams tuorny today and i have AWESOME videos for u guys lol

my friend (gk infinity, zelda main) has the vids

rhan

Smash Hero
We aren't completely dead... are those vids up?

ALSO GUYS CHECK THIS! I had a little fest Saturday and a player from Chicago named Zeus came (He was in the area due to military jank) and he was soooo gooood! He said that he is one of the top players in Chi-city.

Oh and the best part.

I played Young Link.

Got VERY GOOD MATCHES RECORDED! Both sides of the fight were intense. My Young Link was on POINT! But now we play the waiting game.. Shaeman needs to get the videos up.

More than likely the matches will be me playing against a Marth or a Falco my two worse matchups lmao but they're legit enough I suppose. I want critiques cuz I feel that I might switch Samus back to my secondary...

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
fox is so hard lol

ive been training my ylink for norcal stuff but uhhh yeah fox is like impossible lols.

nah not impossible but i got this ♥

i think hes definitely the most awesome secondary to have as an ic main lol. ill get at peach and ganon

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, it's impossible. He gives you 0 time to pull out projectiles :/

****ing dash Nair is broken.

edit: Jash vs PC from apex pools is on youtube now, fyi :D

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
If just didn't miss some edgeguards and get shined gimped so easily, I think he could of done pretty **** good vs PC.

As for the 2nd round pools, unfortunately I was playing Brawl friendlies instead of watching xD

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Well, Imma go ahead and post this here. I didn't see it on your bomb guide and I didn't know if this was known already to here goes: If you pull out a bomb with YL, and you're standing right next to the ledge, back facing the ledge, you can wavedash off the ledge, press z quickly to drop the bomb, and you will automatically grab the ledge.

The Bomb will usually drop before you're offstage, so it will land and explode right near the edge. But you, having invincibility frames, won't get hurt.

Also, you can Wd>drop bomb with z>zair. But this is definitely harder.

rhan

Smash Hero
You see.... I don't think outside the box enough to try **** like that lmao

That should be on the guide though NJ. It can be a useful edgegaurding technique.

Also on that Jash v PC R2....

NAIR -> FAIR was hilariously ********!

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
You see.... I don't think outside the box enough to try **** like that lmao

That should be on the guide though NJ. It can be a useful edgegaurding technique.

Also on that Jash v PC R2....

NAIR -> FAIR was hilariously ********!
It also works on platforms, except you don't get invicibility frames. You just wd off, andthe bomb drops on platform.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
Well, Imma go ahead and post this here. I didn't see it on your bomb guide and I didn't know if this was known already to here goes: If you pull out a bomb with YL, and you're standing right next to the ledge, back facing the ledge, you can wavedash off the ledge, press z quickly to drop the bomb, and you will automatically grab the ledge.

The Bomb will usually drop before you're offstage, so it will land and explode right near the edge. But you, having invincibility frames, won't get hurt.

Also, you can Wd>drop bomb with z>zair. But this is definitely harder.
it also works with moonwalking to the edge.

rhan

Smash Hero
Jash 2 good!

Cho: Yer **** right you better not fail the Zelda fans! That ending kill was soo good on that first match. Though I recommend stop approaching with boomerang lol I see that projectile as more of a retreating one. Also more bombs. BOMBS BOMBS BOMBS are Link/Young LInk's best friend. Not a Zelda. lol

That second match was raaaaaaape. You used a hellava lot of bombs then. And that 2v1 was nice.

Also I put a nice little comment since they asked for one. xD

Also

<------ Huge LoZ fan.

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
I love ylinks speed. he's like a little demon running around on stage!!! there are explosions! Rangs! FIERY ARROWS! and a little sharp shank that he just slices and dices with. then whats he do after he wins? HE HAS MILK AND COOKIES!?!??!??!?!!???!!! good lord. its like satans baby, cept hes hyrulian and great

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hehe i'll note what u said about boomerang, i prob get punished for that a lot. but i LOVE the damage on close range boomerang!!!!!! what is it, like 18%? 16? idk, its just awesome

though his bombs are too good, i really like getting in people's faces with aerials, they are all good. nair bair uair fair. i just use projectstyles to create those openings hehe, im more of an aggressive player with all the chars i use

rhan

Smash Hero
Cho: Yeah boomer point blank does like 18% and the added effects with it are (1) painful stun and (2) a nice loud slapping noise. xD

If you're an aggressive player I can't tell you to stop and retreat lol I'm a more campy player so I guess my advice can only go towards other slow pace players. But yeah bomb/boomer sets up for any aerial. Arrows are more used (in my opinion) as edgegaurding.

I'm going over Shaeman's house today so my new videos should be going up along with some vids of his Link lmao. Also use doing our 7 years in teams. ;) (Yeah Chip and Deva ain't got **** on us).

Lordydennek: Glad you have a new profound love for 12 year olds. lmao <3

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha yeah, well obviously i can't play ylink like fox and falco. usually when i know that my offense has finished, i pull out a bomb and shoot projectiles in a way that allows me to resume close range battle. there are some matchups where i definitely run away and spam (puff, peach)

however... i consider 'spamming' a form of offense rather than defense, dependent on matchup of course. if it is not beneficial to me to approach, i must use the best way to attack, which is bombs/rang.

i use arrows more as a deceptive tool hehe, it's pretty awesome. when people are under pressure, they tend to shield more, so i shoot both charged and uncharged arrows, from air or ground, and it just makes people jump. always works LOL. the arrow is intimidating and always makes people either jump, shield, or stay back.

(unless they're fox/falco..................... they just charge and ****. but in this matchup usually i'm opting for close combat hehe. but i usually lose)

eh, that's why i main ic's :)

Laijin

Smash Hero
hehe i'll note what u said about boomerang, i prob get punished for that a lot. but i LOVE the damage on close range boomerang!!!!!! what is it, like 18%? 16? idk, its just awesome

though his bombs are too good, i really like getting in people's faces with aerials, they are all good. nair bair uair fair. i just use projectstyles to create those openings hehe, im more of an aggressive player with all the chars i use
Your best bet is to approach with a bomb, and while their in bomb stun(or whatever you wanna call it), close range boomerang -> n-air. Thats like instant 40% right there. Its my normal BnB.

YL is capable of racking up damage VERY fast. Against Aggressive opponents, you should **** them with projectiles. Campier opponents are actually a bit harder.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
idk about fox and falco thoughhhhh they just stay in your face so hard that u cant even pull anything out LOL

also, if i hit someone with close boomerang id probably uair for even more **** damage and better position ♥

Laijin

Smash Hero
Fox yes. Falco not so much. Falco doesn't have quick run speed so if you pick a big stage, he won't be able to keep up with you. Falco's speed only lies in his vertical jumping abilities.
True fact.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i guess haha

how do u deal with lazers

i think his speed also lies in a lot of good frame advantage against ylinks shield

Top Bottom