• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
IMO.. it's like 40:60 Jiggs favor. But Young Link is pretty tricky so if you mix it up a lot, your opponent is going to have a pretty hard time catching you. Use all of your projectiles to combo puff and force her into bad situations. And I like FD vs puff because it's my favorite stage and I can usually catch my opponent's before they land. But I think Pokemon Stadium and Rainbow Cruise works too.
Augh how can you stand FD? I hate FD with YL. I need/want as many platforms as possible to camp efficiently. Preferably ones with spaces inbetween to drop bombs.

Laijin

Smash Hero
laijin should be mod haha
There are many many mods that would disapprove of this haha. But I'm not against it. :O

Augh how can you stand FD? I hate FD with YL. I need/want as many platforms as possible to camp efficiently. Preferably ones with spaces inbetween to drop bombs.
FD is ONLY good against Marth, Mewtwo and a few other characters. Otherwise yea I completely agree with you, I always aim for stages with platforms. Pokemon being my favorite =) FD is actually a better stage to pick against Jiggs than Dreamland if your camping skills are not up to par.

Twinkie, although most people here have a strong hate for brawl for many reasons, as long as you're awesome and cool with joining in our discussions I'm sure everyone here will accept you =)

Cia

das kwl
I actually applied for YL boards. I wanted that more than anything haha, but Twinkie is going to amazing. give him a chance =D

+1 support.

Wad -
I like YL on FD because i can usually keep my opponent from landing and there are no platforms to ruin my combos or give my opponent mobility :colorful:

Thanks Vanz.

@Laijin- I don't really mind if people don't like Brawl, as long as they don't **** me to hell for enjoying it.

And thanks wooooo! :)

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
So I finally decided to answer my calling and pick up this character, and (I have no idea you guys operate with Match up's) I need advice on the Ganon YLink match up. :(

rhan

Smash Hero
LOL Smith you going to TO6? Or Pound 5? Or when's the next Herb? I'll show you in person how to deal with your NC Ganons in person lmao

Protjectile camp and approach with Nair when you have an opening. Bombs and rang creates those openings. Upon edgegaurding you can either ftit/d-smash/dtilt if the Ganon doesn't sweet spot. And Nair if they're going above. If you're feeling lucky you can try to flame spike if they;re going above (Not reccomended though unless you're TRC)

Things you don't want to do is get faired. Once that happens you're at a crippling disadvantage... Also always have a bomb in your hand just in case that kind of thing does happen. That bomb can save your life.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
LOL Smith you going to TO6? Or Pound 5? Or when's the next Herb? I'll show you in person how to deal with your NC Ganons in person lmao

Protjectile camp and approach with Nair when you have an opening. Bombs and rang creates those openings. Upon edgegaurding you can either ftit/d-smash/dtilt if the Ganon doesn't sweet spot. And Nair if they're going above. If you're feeling lucky you can try to flame spike if they;re going above (Not reccomended though unless you're TRC)

Things you don't want to do is get faired. Once that happens you're at a crippling disadvantage... Also always have a bomb in your hand just in case that kind of thing does happen. That bomb can save your life.
I'm goin' to TO6, bayb. HERBs are gone now, since vilt quit, and dunno 'bout Pound 5.

Yeah, I was pretty much doing this weekend (Had to go against a Ganon, 2-1, numbed up the first match with a 2 stock lead because of the hype), except dtilt and ftilt, I'm too much of a vag to try and flame spike.
What's a good CP? I know to ban YI this time.

rhan

Smash Hero
Pokemon Stadium is Young Link's counter pick to everything.You definitely want to avoid small stages. DL is okay but Ganon's weight and recovery has it take a little more time to kill him.

Also that suuucks to hear about the Herb series.. :(

If Tope/Cyrain respond to my ride requests I'll be at To6.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Pokemon Stadium is Young Link's counter pick to everything.You definitely want to avoid small stages. DL is okay but Ganon's weight and recovery has it take a little more time to kill him.

Also that suuucks to hear about the Herb series.. :(

If Tope/Cyrain respond to my ride requests I'll be at To6.
I thought about PS1, but ehh all the hype made me do dumb things Banning/CPing and stuff.
Yeah, but tbh..they weren't ran all that well. imo (Atleast 1 & 3)
Why not try and get rides from people comming even more north going through SOVA? Or atleast someone that'd pass it on the way. You gotta get to TO6, haven't seen you since HERB2.

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
So I finally decided to answer my calling and pick up this character, and (I have no idea you guys operate with Match up's) I need advice on the Ganon YLink match up. :(
welcome to the dark side bayb.

rhan

Smash Hero
Only other person I know from like MD/Nova is Laijin. lol

If his caravan feels like scooping me on the way that'll be legit. ;)

But yeah you never want to play a Ganon on a small stage. And you always want to CP Pokemon Stadium in my opinion.

DtJ SmithZzz

Happy Birthday Kjell
Well in my set I had absolutely no knowledge.
First game was Dream Land
Second game was on FoD
Third was on Yoshi's, which I knew was not good at all, but it was too late.

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Hey guys. Back me up here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=252874&page=220

Tell'em we want our Young Link back in Project Melee and not some dumb hybrid TL/YL character
I just got to play the current version, and while the hybrid is slightly weird, the only thing I'd say he needs to fit the YL quota is to have all of the melee projectiles back. Otherwise he's got everything he needs. I've never seen a reason to combo into back or forward air, and virtually everything else fits the right way. Not to say stuff doesn't need to be tweaked a little more, but hopefully they're on the right track.

Laijin

Smash Hero
I just got to play the current version, and while the hybrid is slightly weird, the only thing I'd say he needs to fit the YL quota is to have all of the melee projectiles back. Otherwise he's got everything he needs. I've never seen a reason to combo into back or forward air, and virtually everything else fits the right way. Not to say stuff doesn't need to be tweaked a little more, but hopefully they're on the right track.
Post that in the thread lol

rhan

Smash Hero
Not destroys but it's in YLink's favor. The match is kinda vs Ganon except DK's not as powerful. Also the recovery sucks.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Not destroys but it's in YLink's favor. The match is kinda vs Ganon except DK's not as powerful. Also the recovery sucks.
No dude. Young Link does indeed destroy DK.
Ganon has a better match up because he isn't a huge and slow as DK.
Young Link can literally run circles around the monkey and theres nothing he can do about it.

rhan

Smash Hero
I played a couple good DK's lol

Either I'm bad or they were good enough to give me a run for mah money.

Laijin

Smash Hero
^ this guy 3-0ed G-reg's DK in money matches. He knows what's up
LOL.
The story goes like this:
G-reg money matched me. $5 vs his DK against my YL. I beat him once. He mm'ed me again. 5 more dollars. I beat him again. He mm'ed me a third time. I beat him again.
$15.
G-reg would tell you himself that its the dumb match up lol.

Young Link is pretty cheap.
There is nothing cheap about this character :p

Rhan! Don't let a giant monkey beat up on you man. Literally you win the match up from running away and throwing stuff at him all day. Don't pick Yoshi's and try to avoid Fountain and you'll have the win in your hands. :O
Pokemon Stadium and Dreamland(especially DL) are your ideal counter pick stages. Kong Jungle is REALLY good too

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Yeah DK is pretty bad vs young link.
If DK is knocked off the stage, he shouldn't come back.
If you don't let DK get a grab, he shouldn't be able to combo you.
If he lets you pull out a bomb, it's a free combo for you.
If you get a flame spike, it's a free LOL for you.

DK aint got shiiiit.

Idk about Link though. He has range but the lack of speed makes it hard to avoid DK's overpowering moves (bair is so fuxxing annoying)

rhan

Smash Hero
Shaden you say that because you haven't played Doug in the matchup. Or Otis. Though O-No isn't as good at Doug.

**** gets rough.

Though I still said that it's in YLink's favor. But it's not by that great of a margin. 60 - 40 In my opinion. But it may be 65 - 35. That's about as high as I'd go.

Laijin: That's a pretty funny little story. lmao what a scrub.

rhan

Smash Hero
I'll be ya'lls Taj at Pound 5 guys. Sike Vanz would probably beat me to it...

GOOD STUFF VANZ! YESSSSSS!

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
tis true. I feel like ylink has a lot of potential. more than most low tiers. im seriously using him as a secondary now. I used to use link but idk...hes to slow for me and i like ylinks combo ability and speed. plus he can do most stuff link can do. cept kill lol. I do miss upb kills.

btw i may have some vids of my ylink up soon. id like some critique

Top Bottom