• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

Laijin

Smash Hero
i guess haha

how do u deal with lazers

i think his speed also lies in a lot of good frame advantage against ylinks shield
His lasers? Jump over them!
Rule 1: Don't pick FD. lol.

You can out camp falco, just throw bombs over his head. If your getting shield pressure its like playing any other character against him. Roll away and run away. When hes off the ledge, destroy him. You have lots of tools to keep him from coming back with his crappy recovery.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
rolling is a bad idea against falco though! and ylinks roll is not that good! :C

falcos these days just read rolls and are still safe even when they force them

but yea, i getcha.... keep away, and dont get in that position

ill try it next time i play one

Laijin

Smash Hero
rolling is a bad idea against falco though! and ylinks roll is not that good! :C

falcos these days just read rolls and are still safe even when they force them

but yea, i getcha.... keep away, and dont get in that position

ill try it next time i play one
Pretty much your goal is to stay way from being underneath him. When hes shield pressuring you with shines and d-airs, rolling should usually work to get away unless you can time a out of shield n-air or a z bomb drop.

god dammit
Your like..in every ****ing thread. lol

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
hm alright. yeah id imagine none of his options besides roll are that good anyway

u right u right

rhan

Smash Hero
Sheik's fun to play against. I just don't like it on FD. lmao Gimme platforms and I'll wreck face.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You won't have to worry about getting Canadian money :]

In fact you won't have to worry about getting money period :laugh:

I'll take five $1 bills, by the way. Gonna stop by the vending machine after.

rhan

Smash Hero
Haha lesss gooo deennnn!

I always wanted to play your Sheik after I heard stories from my friend/crew mate from last Pound. His tag was Crystalnite. I don't know if you remember him or not but he has told me great things.

I just wanna play as many people at Pound 5 anyway. I gots monay to blow.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
basically i'm asking if we're cging or not.

since you're saying we're gonna be extra homo i'm going to just assume that translates to, "yes, i love d-throw --> d-throw, it's the best combo in the game, what's a sheik ditto without it?"

i guess i'll need to practice that briefly before pound/rom3/whatever.

Laijin

Smash Hero
lol yes. Thats what I mean. Its how I play against Plank and Tope in tournament(Three sheiks are way too many for one region) >__>
Its soooo dumb but its too tempting not to. And besides its a MM, so why not?

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
hey

young link is bad

but I think he might draw near even with jiggs, which is what i am interested in. if you have anti jiggs strats I'd love to hear them

thinking of picking this character up for gimmicks/shenanigans against ONLY jiggs (maybe peach? meh)

my question is, on the highest level of play, how does young link do against jiggs? i remember vanz beating up on darc on FD I think a couple times? how are the stages? do you need a big stage? tell me everything about this matchup (i understand the basic idea, you run and throw ****)

Laijin

Smash Hero
hey

young link is bad

but I think he might draw near even with jiggs, which is what i am interested in. if you have anti jiggs strats I'd love to hear them

thinking of picking this character up for gimmicks/shenanigans against ONLY jiggs (maybe peach? meh)

my question is, on the highest level of play, how does young link do against jiggs? i remember vanz beating up on darc on FD I think a couple times? how are the stages? do you need a big stage? tell me everything about this matchup (i understand the basic idea, you run and throw ****)
Dude you can't just come in here and steal my plans. I already declared awhile ago that I'm training my YL to be an anti Jiggs match up lol.

Anyways. This is what I got for ya:

-Big stages ALWAYS. Jiggs can't keep up with you especially on a big stage. Aim for platform levels too. makes it easier to move around.
-Learn how to effectively camp. Thats right, most of your match will be running away from Jiggs. I mean who in their right mind would approach something that has a one hit kill move. I wouldn't cause I'm not dumb lol. So make her approach you, which is really the only choice she has. If the jiggs player is dumb and stays in the air, your bombs will **** her. You should only approach during the following situations:
1. You hit her with a bomb or range. Go **** her with some aerials!
2. Shes below you. Hint: Your n-air has higher priority than most of her moves.
3. Shes right above you. u-air that ****.
If your on a platform and shes approaching from below, bomb drop and run away. This frustrates players to no end.
If you camp hard enough, you will annoy them enough to where they start making dumb mistakes and such. I've done it before and although it feels really bad and gay, I don't feel THAT terrible cause their playing jiggs. Every jiggs player should feel this pain muwahahaha

-Learn to space. Young Link has a sword and its a disjointed hitbox of course. While short, if you space his f-air correctly and f-tilts it becomes very useful. It out ranges all of her moves(except maybe back air?)

-Learn to edge guard her. YL has some of the best tools for edgegurding a puff than most other characters in the game. If a jiggs(or any character) approaches the stage from below, bomb drop d-air works like magic. Also jumping out and n-airing them if they use pound too close to stage. Boomerangs and bombs will destroy their recovery if used correctly.

-When at close range...run away! Yup. Camp harder bro. lol. You could use an u-smash or jab a bit, but ehh..camping is more fun.

Remember! Camp camp camp! Young Link is a million times faster than Jiggs. You shouldn't lose this match lol. In my opinion I think the match up is 60-40, and I'll prove it in due time :)

Anyone feel free to add onto this or ask questions.

Cia

das kwl
IMO.. it's like 40:60 Jiggs favor. But Young Link is pretty tricky so if you mix it up a lot, your opponent is going to have a pretty hard time catching you. Use all of your projectiles to combo puff and force her into bad situations. And I like FD vs puff because it's my favorite stage and I can usually catch my opponent's before they land. But I think Pokemon Stadium and Rainbow Cruise works too.

BTW, I recommend using Young Link if you want to use a fun character with tons of potential (esp. in doubles) but If you're planning to use him exclusively as a Jiggs counter, you're in for some disappointment. If the puff player is better than you, they will figure out how to exploit your vulnerabilities. (and as we all know, Jiggs punishment is no joke)

Do you not like Zelda vs Puff?

Also, Here's a match of my young link vs hbox. just to give you a better idea of the match up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSt1kYnuJk&t=4m30s

Laijin

Smash Hero
IMO.. it's like 40:60 Jiggs favor. But Young Link is pretty tricky so if you mix it up a lot, your opponent is going to have a pretty hard time catching you. Use all of your projectiles to combo puff and force her into bad situations. And I like FD vs puff because it's my favorite stage and I can usually catch my opponent's before they land. But I think Pokemon Stadium and Rainbow Cruise works too.
I really gotta say...I disagree with you lol. Its at the very least 45-55 jigg's favor on small stages. On big stages its definitely in YL's favor. Camping works. But yea..try and mix it up definitely.

But yea. Stadium is my fav. counter pick.

Cia

das kwl
I really gotta say...I disagree with you lol. Its at the very least 45-55 jigg's favor on small stages. On big stages its definitely in YL's favor. Camping works. But yea..try and mix it up definitely.

But yea. Stadium is my fav. counter pick.
hmm. difference of opinions i suppose. We should test this out in a money match at some point.

:colorful:

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
well I have a decent Link but I feel he's too well rounded, as in he's overall bad against the whole cast, while young link seems more unbalanced, with a few nice matchups and a lot of terrible ones. in tournament play that gives young link some interesting chances as a counter pick (I do not want to main young link)

So I kinda wanna stop playing Link because he never fits a role, while young link seems like he could.

Zelda:puff is a strange matchup, i do great against certain people but sometimes its very hard.

YoungLink:puff is much more understandable/consistent in my eyes.

I have no qualms with heavy camping

Lordydennek

Smash Ace
tbh vanz you didnt use your rang very wisely. you tried to use it way to close to him and you got punished a lot for it. also there were opportunities for uairs that you didnt get to. I think this mu is about even really. its really not good to use the rang standing still anyway. also what was with that last kill. were u in stun time? seems like ucould have avoided puff by upbing earlier. Im no pro or anything but there was a lot of time you coulda done a lot more to her than you did.

Don't you guys have a GD or an Inquiry thread around here? Well whatever, I'll just do this here.

Hey guys, if you haven't already noticed, my name is Twinkie, and I'm your new dedicated mod. I'll be replacing Chip for the time being, so if there's anything I can do for you guys, just give me the word and I'll help out.

Yep. I play Toon Link, although if I had a Melee disc, I would be maining all the Zelda characters.

...and lol you guys deserve an actual GD. ;)

rhan

Smash Hero
GD threads are lame. Let's just make a thread every time we have something new to talk about.

How the **** is a Toon Link player the head of a Young Link forum? I demand a remod. Less go Vanz!

Also YL v Jiggs is about camping your nutz off. Bombs and boomerang for get away. But they also leave a nice opening. So If you can land one while you;re close enough you can pretty much follow up with anything. Though in Vanz' vid after he connected either/or he Naired. Indeed a good move. But I would rather prefer Uair or Dair because they have a better kill rate on the featherweight Jigglypuff.

Top Bottom