• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Y. Link Match Up Discussion. Ask Questions Here!

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
No, Im the most technical YL evar. I only use him in friendlies/MMs tho. Tourney main is sheik. Btw vanz ur sig made me lol.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Short hop bomb drop bomb regrab is easy. Key is to SH, at the peak of the jump, hit z, fast fall like you're fastfalling an aerial, LAND, then immediately press z again.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Hmm. Most shield pressures can be avoided with a simple roll away from the opponent. If there is a gap in their offense, then by all means use n-air oos or shield grab them. If you have a bomb in your hand, you can jump out of shield and immediately Z-drop the bomb. It comes out in 1 frame and stuns them for a moment. so its the fastest option you have there.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Upsmash out of shield (underrated)

Bomb throw out of sheild

Sometimes you can SH out of shield into arrow/boomerang? (I never do this cause Nair is too good)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Guys, is it just me, or is YLink pretty legit in teams?

He moves around pretty **** fast, has the Nair gimps, can still spam well (unlike Falco spam, it's unlikely to **** up your teammate), good at saving your teammate, lives long (idk how to explain this one but I always seem to survive pretty **** well from the constant running away)

He's broke

Cia

das kwl
Guys, is it just me, or is YLink pretty legit in teams?

He moves around pretty **** fast, has the Nair gimps, can still spam well (unlike Falco spam, it's unlikely to **** up your teammate), good at saving your teammate, lives long (idk how to explain this one but I always seem to survive pretty **** well from the constant running away)

He's broke

THIS. I just got back from a smashfest and my young link tore it up in teams. against good players too =D

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol you make me wanna try y.link in teams, but I don't think my teammate would trust that y.link is a good teams character lol. We usually go double fox rofl.

Cia

das kwl
my static teammate (teczero) definitely trusts that my Young Link will get the job done in teams. And he mains fox <3

.. i think.. we're going to do Fox/YL at the next tournament we enter =D

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I just used Ylink/Fox in a local tourney yesterday.

It's pretty.... amazing lol. I was just running around being gay as Fox killed stuff. YLink is a decent stock tank xD

In singles, I barely used Ylink at all, and the Falco I got ***** by in GF... I did much better against with Ylink in our MM afterward. I think Ylink is going to be my official main, or at least my counterpick for Falco >_>

Inspiration: Hanki (YLink) vs Axe (Falco)

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Falco is up there, but Fox is wayyyy worse. He gives you no time to do anything lol. Sheik is prob worse then Falco too.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, Idk. Imo, YLink can't beat any of Fox's advances and has no time to pull out any projectiles. Vs Falco, you can at least Nair oos haha.

Ylink revolves around running away and throwing stuff. This is completely taken away from Fox. Fox is too fast and easily keeps up with you. Falco is extremely gay, but he isn't speedy enough to keep you from at least throwing stuff at him. Fox also has a way easier time killing YLink. Plus, it's far easier to gimp a Falco.

Compare Hanki vs Axe and Hanki vs Forward.

Cia

das kwl
I don't really mind YL vs Falco. Or any high tiers really (except fox, but i'm getting better at it!)

My worst match as YL is actually Yoshi.. lol

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well, I think with the aid of platforms, y.link can evade fox and falco equally as well (as in not that well). Falco's combos seem more devastating, and his laser control really puts it over the edge for me. With fox I feel like I can actually fight him, while with falco I just try to either gimp him or prolong the match as long as possible.

Also, sheik is a lot easier then both of them.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
DUDE, I ****ing hate Yoshi too lmao

edit

Thing about Sheik, I've never fought a Sheik with YLink, but on paper, it just seems more impossible then Falco. She can just outspace everything, is mobile enough to deal with the spam, CG gay you, and (imo) is probably the best character @ edgeguarding the Links.

Cia

das kwl
Against falco, I just take to a platform to avoid laser approach. then i set up the gay (projectile ****) I also nair him from the platforms if I read a SH laser coming. once i get falco of the stage, he's dead more often then not.

The reason i don't feel the same way about Fox is because tristate foxes just abuse every low tier with Uthrow > Uair. So i get damage tacked on way faster than I dish it. As for Yoshi, I just get *****. Eggm would just maneuver around the gay, and just slam me with those crazy aerials.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
I never understood why YLink is lower on the tier list than Link either. Link KOs earlier and has a better recovery, but he gets comboed harder and his projectiles don't combo into his kill moves if his opponents DI correctly (whereas YL can generally dair you out of bombs regardless of what you do).
I kinda also question YLink's vs Link's tier position. If anything, they're at least pretty **** even.

Top Bottom