• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Tin Man

Smash Hero
@BlazingKatakiri

ok cool, The one that I saw is pretty much like the female trainer from the ruby, sapphire, emerald, diamond, pearl, platinum, crystal, gold, silver games, you know with the white hat, long hair, and scarf, that girl.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I never remembered seeing a Dawn texture.

I think I'll make a texture of Copycat.

Seems easy enough since clothes don't really matter on her. I think I'll have fun with her pokemon though.
If you don't know who Copycat is, play any game with Kanto in it.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Y'all have broken my heart before with this stuff, this had better be good. I'm on the cusp of joining Typh and _____ to leaving PT for greener pastures. To paraphrase, I'm sick of losing to people I'm better than.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Y'all have broken my heart before with this stuff, this had better be good. I'm on the cusp of joining Typh and _____ to leaving PT for greener pastures. To paraphrase, I'm sick of losing to people I'm better than.
You too, Vermy? Ahhh, too many PTs are quitting!

T-block

B2B TST
=( vermy

if PT isn't even fun anymore, there's no point in playing him if you wanna win. but none of us have reached our potential as a player yet, so don't be so quick to give up on the character if you still like playing as him.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Then quit weakling. :laugh:

=( vermy

if PT isn't even fun anymore, there's no point in playing him if you wanna win. but none of us have reached our potential as a player yet, so don't be so quick to give up on the character if you still like playing as him.
Quoted for the truth.

If you arent Reflex than you should strive to be as good as he is with PT. And even he has room to improve, soo keep at it.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Change it so I don't feel bad for starting sentences with a lowercase letter.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
So how many of you have the pokérap memorized. I know I do :p
I used to, but I don't remember all the lyrics now. I rapped the original Pokerap with some friends for our third grade talent show. :p

Vermy

Smash Champion
I don't want to leave. =(
I love you guys to much.

I'm trying to use PT as much as possible, but with all the marths, MKs and snakes uprising, it makes its harder and harder. On the other hand, fear only 1 wario in my country, and Diddy kong is becoming less and less of a problem. (Especially when you practice vs a competent one with bananas on high).

I need support. =(
Boards ain't as active as they used to be.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
against mk, shieldgrab with charizard every time mk fairs your shield (buffering it will help), unless it's a retreating one. in which case, the third swipe probably won't even hit anyway. you can also grab dtilt/ftilt if those moves aren't spaced near perfectly. if you can predict an attack, try to space a rock smash because all of mk's normal sword attacks are transcendent priority, which means they can never clash with the rock or shards. which makes it soooooo much easier to land imo. an aerial mk cannot do anything to avoid getting hit by rock smash except shuttle loop, really. but the positioning can be awkward and you have to predict to make good use of it. same with dash attack. flamethrower is a great spacer, mk cannot shuttle loop out of it (but he can uair/nair you if he DI's into you close enough). tornado beats it though, but just bait that with a quick burst if it becomes a problem and you'll be able to punish the nado with a rock smash or something. which reminds me, learn how to place a rock smash on the side of tornado, it's really devastating and since you almost never get the headbutt hitbox, mk won't go anywhere and you are free to usmash/grab/something afterward. if the mk knows you can rock smash it consistently, then they'll be a lot more hesitant to use it when you are grounded. and that's a victory in itself, if you ask me. it still ***** you if you are above him though. getting juggled in general is baaaaaaaaad. b reverse flamethrowers and rock smashes help but they are a little situational and have high commitment. if you can avoid juggles/gimps then you should be able to keep pace, at least. every solid rock smash is devastating and i really don't think it's that hard to hit if you can read the opponent correctly.

you have to be really patient with squirtle. learn when you can and cannot punish mk. this is probably the most important factor to the matchup. if you can't punish him then you are probably outspaced or in a frame trap so get out of there if possible. trading aerials is usually a good deal because yours often do more damage. especially if you traded with a single swipe of fair or bair. you can jump and uair immediately after mk dair if you are looking for it so that should help juggle traps. jab is very good, it outspeeds everything MK does, use it whenever you can because that speed advantage is very powerful if used correctly. ftilt is also good but not quite as useful as usual because mk's tilts are just as fast and have more range. you can jump off stage to "edgeguard" with a quick fair/dair if you want to tack on some damage but don't try to be a hero, you aren't going to be gimping mk often so usually you are better off staying grounded. if you force an air release at the edge, i am pretty sure squirtle has a guaranteed fair on mk but the timing is really strict (like, marth grab release dair strict). it's really easy if you manage to do the hydrograb fall off stage thing, though. withdraw comes quite in handy when recovering sometimes. try your best not to be below stage level and be forced to waterfall. water gunning shuttle loop can have pretty varied effects. if you water gun a reverse shuttle loop from off stage, mk dies. always awesome. water gunning a glide in progress can affect mk's momentum and leave him vulnerable to an uair or something, it all depends on what angle mk is flying at. often it doesn't really do much for you but it can allow you to get closer to possibly shield the glide attack and punish. water gunning the glide attack will make the slash hit the water and do the hitbox clashing thing, and then mk will fall into helpless. if you angled the water up, he should hover for a split second, and you'll have the opportunity to dash in for a grab, maybe.

ivysaur sucks

overall i really don't think meta knight is close to as hard as snake/marth and is around the level of falco/dedede, maybe slightly easier. but you really have to know what to expect because the punishment windows are fleeting and mk takes advantage of your bad zones very well.

idk about the other ones, mk is the only matchup i feel i'm "good" in, or know a lot of stuff about

pray that mk doesn't plank you imo

wow i spent like an hour on this and iduno why

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Who else apart from Typh is quitting?

Edit: Vermy, you live in Australia, there are apparently no top level MKs or Snakes here, heck the Americans have said they reckon our metagame is still stuck in 2008 lol.

My point is it's still possible to dominate in Australia with PT because no one, or not many people here are good enough to exploit MU advantage to the point where you'd never be able to beat them, unlike in the US where that probably happens alot.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Daaaang Steeler.

Vermy, Steeler just posted that for an hour! Don't quit! The boards aren't very active, but so what? If you really wanna improve as PT, then do it. Stick with him because he's your favorite character. Remember when Xyro said PT was a fanboy character and someone argued against that? Well, it's true! PT is a fanboy character. As a whole, he's low tier. He sucks. But none of us are playing PT because we think he's some godly character. We're playing PT because we like him for some reason or another.

What I love about PT is that everyone plays differently. We've got three different characters in one--that's three times more the opportunities for developing a unique playstyle. Just hang in there. If the boards aren't active, then be active in real life. Go to tournaments. Meet people. Get that MU experience. Get some videos up so we can watch and critique. People have said this before, and it's true: You don't need to be on the boards to improve. You don't even need to be in the BR to become a better Smasher. Does it help? Of course. But the only thing holding you back from excelling (other than your character's own limitations) is you.

Gimpyfish once posted a great video on Youtube where he explained why he's such a great Bowser player. He said he lost A LOT at first. But then that made him realize how downright terrible Bowser was at Melee. He began to think more often of his weaknesses rather than his strengths, and he then accommodated for those weaknesses. Know your limits, and then learn to work within those limits to the best of your ability.

Like Miles pointed out, none of us have reached our potential. Not even Reflex. We still have a long ways to go--some more than others. I dunno about everyone else, but win or lose, I become downright excited after a tournament. I feel that every tournament I attend, I'm becoming a better player. I'm getting matches in with some of the top players, I'm getting more MU experience, I'm becoming more confident in my own playstyle, and most importantly I'm making mistakes and learning from them.

Toby plays Shaya a lot, and he hasn't given up on PT despite the fact that Marth may be our worse MU period. So don't throw in the towel, Vermy. Stick around and improve.

Vermy

Smash Champion
I love you guys so much.
No other boards are as tightly knit as ours.
After all this, I don't think I could leave PT even if i tried.

From announcement of PT as a character, i sh*t my pants. I knew he was going to be my main. And after experimenting with Kirby, Lucario, Link, Bowser, Toon Link, and so on, Pt (and to a lesser extent, Falco and MK) have been my love in this game. I've always had a love for pokemon i can't quite describe. I mained Pikachu in 64, Mewtwo in Melee and now the dream came true. F*CKING SQUIRTLE. I always chose squirtle in the RBY era, and still <3 him. Now, over a decade later, I'm still kickingass and taking names with him. I have so much knowledge about PT, and i guess my lack of application of that knowledge to gameplay has held me back. You deserve better, i will become better.

I'd like to give some personal shoutouts to the PT boards. (don't feel left out if you aren't mentioned, i probably just forgot ^_^')

Miles: I once said you were a Kangaskhan. I maintain that. You're parental, gruff, thick skinned, and over all pretty badass. You've kicked my ass every time i show weakness, and for that I thank you. You keep the faith, brother. I know I probably don't seem like much, but I swear by the end of the year, you will have me in the PTBR. Vermy will do work. And do it hard.

Toby: You've been a mentor for PT since I started using him seriously. And you've helped me more than any other person has in advancing my own metagame. Words cant express enough wubs for you, and i hope somehow if even in a small way I've helped you in some way. Don't leave PT. We can do this, bro. Lets dominate the Australian Smash Scene. We've put in the hard yards, why give up now? <3

Beast, Bomber, Zigsta, Ice ****, T-block: We've all worked hard, and have come into our own together. We all shared the learning experience, and fought alongside each other. You guys kept the boards busy and kept me posting. Thank you.

Steeler: You don't say much to me personally, but when you do, it's always a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

Reflex: I have so much respect for you as a player. You work hard, and don't complain, no matter the matchup. I don't know how you stay so confident all the time, but i strive to achieve an ounce of what you've done for PT. Honto Arigatou.

Magik: At one stage I thought you were just a pessimist. You're a realist. You know what's up, and you give us all a reality check when we need it or if our heads get too big. Thank you.

Dre, JoeyJoeyJoeJoe: Stay strong. Aussie PT mains need to stick together. Talk to me and Toby on msn, we have a wealth of knowledge at your disposal almost 24-7. We'll all keep each other strong. darkvermiis@hotmail.com add it, and lets talk tactics.

Like i said, i don't think i could leave if i tried. I love y'all too much. We're in this together, so lets keep active.
DO WORK! ^_^

Expect a slightly old (3 months) vid of me in the next few days. It's of me vs one of my state's top 5 PR players (Pit main), and i feel it shows my potential as a PT main. I've grown since then, but I'm sure this is a new style in comparison to the old vids of me.

Once again, I love you all.

TL;DR: Wubs, Not leaving PT, Expect a bigger, badder Vermysaur.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
We all need to seriously meet up at one tournament once.

Genesis 2, anyone?

Top Bottom