• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

X or Y? - PT Social

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Easy for you to do Rizen, you have like 5 other boards you can post on ;p

Welp, time to go troll the toon links. brb maybe....

T-block

B2B TST
so... back to actual conversation then

is anyone excited for black/white 2? i'm... surprisingly not at all excited... i didn't even know the release date until i saw that best buy was taking pre-orders.

still, i hardly remember anything from b/w, so i think i will get it lol;;

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I wound up buying pokemon black despite much protest but giving it a fair shot by trying it anyway. I really didn't like it. I guess it didn't help I already had my opinion about the game before playing. I was mainly turned off by the pokemon having that cut and paste look from pokemon of previous generations as well as digimon. I've had people jump on me and tell me I'm wrong, that this generation is the most original, etc. Sure maybe original in a sense that it has no ties to the fist generation like the previous four generations have. Still, I feel they have run out of ideas as far as pokemon goes.

Actually getting into gameplay, it was a bit hard making my team due to the pokemon which appealed to me we found all over the world, but I managed. What disappointed me was beating the E4 and then gaining access to the other side of the map only to be encountered with lvl 70+ pokemon. My poor lvl 50's can only do so much. I wasn't about to go grinding in the grass because that would take too long. I'm not trying to sound like I'm lazy but most pokemon games have done a good job of keeping opponents on the same level if not a little stronger than you as you progress through the game. This however was just a big gap I really had no way of filling in an orderly fashion. So I just tried my best to plow through people only after every battle, I'd have to go to a PC to heal my team and with little to no money, it's not like I could properly stock up on supplies. It eventually turned me off so bad it makes me wish they'd just stop making pokemon games, if they must, please make something more interesting. I don't really care about a plot or the plot that B/W apparently has. Imo, pokemon was fun because of what it was built on: battling, training, catching/trading, and breeding. There wasn't anything fancy about the first games in pokemon but when they starting to force a plot down our throats is when the game became stale to me. Which I think they first tried that with Pokemon R/S/E? That generation was ok, but it seemed more to me of a one time ordeal, once you finished everything you had to do, there was no way of enjoying the game anymore unless you fought the E4 over an over which that E4 wasn't that entertaining. I guess I was expecting more out of it since I had come off Gold and Silver and saw the innovations it had and hoped they would have built on that and expanded with cooler ideas. But anyway...

I might still buy pokemon B/W 2, but I I'm not sure. I'm not too fond of buying the sequel to a game which I consider the worst pokemon adventure game made yet.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I thought White was the best in-game Pokémon experience I've ever had. Since I lost that game in April, I'm pretty excited about B2/W2.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
From what I was told, Pokemon B/W was a game that you'd either hate it or love it. I know it sounds silly but I don't know too many games like that unless we just live in an age where that's people's attitudes. Though, imo, first a second generation were games that I think most people could pick up and enjoy even if they weren't into pokemon as much as say you and I. Having a game where it's split down the middle of either you like it or hate it just doesn't appeal to me because there is no reasonable median. There are some games I've played where they were just ok. They entertained me for a time, and grew out of playing them but I wouldn't go as far to say I hated them or even say I like them. It's still all a matter of taste, but that was just my two cents about the game. If B/W 2 changes stuff and makes it appealing to me, I might just pick it up.

I don't remember too much about B/W but I don't recall being able to import pokemon from previous games. I could be wrong, I think I was told I'll be able to in B/W 2 which, if that's the case I might actually buy just so I can import the team I want to conquer the game with. It'd make my experience more enjoyable.

T-block

B2B TST
I loved White when I played through it... pretty much enjoyed every second of it.

But... it just wasn't memorable to me for some reason. Just one year later and I can only remember what half of the gyms were, and only segments of the actual plot. It takes me a while to even remember my team.

It's a weird feeling =x

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Wall of Text

Pokemon white was amazing.
Imo, they did an excellent job with the plot. Unlike previous games, there was actually some sort of plot development to look forward to in every town. Whats more, the Gym leaders actually take a very active roll in the storyline.

Battles feel a lot more engrossing with the adition on animated sprites. While I'll admit some animations were lackluster

(pokemon gets squashed and then streched vertically. Epic.)

Some were really nice.
My fav animations were

Darumaka, Whimsicott, Liligant, Lilipup, Klinklang, joltic(Seizure), and Haxorus

Especially Darumaka
Lol, that little red puffball could dance

Hax was my fav though. Slap a pair of headphones on em, and he'd look like he was jammin'.
:phone:

The finale btw. Fantastic.

---
This Gen did a great job with misic . I'd even go as far to say it was on par with HGSS.

Both the gym leader and Elite four themes were surprisingly catchy.
---

I actually got up and danced to the plama theme at one point

---
Its after you beat the game thag things start to go downhill...

I'm afraid there just wasn't enough to do...

:006:

Btw, the Audino in the new map area are easy to beat and give good exp Bomber.
With a lucky egg, you can expect like 1/3+ of a level on a level 65 pokemon per audino

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I loved White when I played through it... pretty much enjoyed every second of it.

But... it just wasn't memorable to me for some reason. Just one year later and I can only remember what half of the gyms were, and only segments of the actual plot. It takes me a while to even remember my team.

It's a weird feeling =x
Maybe because we grew up with the original games, the legacies that they left behind you can't compare? I'm sure for the younger generations today, Pokemon B/W will be their R/B/Y.

@Luis, is it after the first or second time beating the E4?

T-block

B2B TST
Maybe because we grew up with the original games, the legacies that they left behind you can't compare? I'm sure for the younger generations today, Pokemon B/W will be their R/B/Y.

@Luis, is it after the first or second time beating the E4?
Probably something like that.

I mean... name me any city in the first three gens and I can still remember how the city is laid out. That's much less the case for fourth gen, and I probably wouldn't even recognize some city names in fifth gen >_<

Bomber7

Smash Hero
So does this mean like..... the pokemon from the first 2 gens will be considered ancient pokemon? Does this mean we have to collect 250 pokefossils or something now?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
pokefossils? Never heard of that. =P

While I might not know about the new Generation 5 abilities, moves and Pokemon, I know EVERYTHING about type match-ups, from what's super effective to immunities and I have some decent strategies. :p

Also my top 3 favorite pokemon are: Vaporeon, Gengar and Breloom. Though Breloom is my most favorite. XD

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Dumb 100% chance to inflict sleep is totally haxed. :V

It's 0% on Pokemon who have the ability Vital Spirit/Insomnia lol

Yeah, about that. Troll Bastadon beasts everything.
Breloom's high Attack stat with a super effective fighting type move (that's not Focus Punch lol) isn't strong enough for Bastiodon's defense? :/

...Then again I don't really play Pokemon competitively, so idk what exactly Troll Bastiodon is. XD

Well maybe Leech Seed would help against it lol

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bastadon has the best, if not one of the best defenses in the game.

Troll Bastadon is where you have stealth rock, roar, metal burst, sunnyday/raindance/hail and give him focus sash. You set-up the stealth rock and spam roar and make people ragequit.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Wow, I just looked it up and didn't know its defense stats were THAT HIGH O____O

I never used moves that raised stats, though maybe I should now. :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Bastiodon.

Also, Sturdy in Generation 5 is an built-in Focus Sash. That's the only way it's going to survive any high-powered STAB Fighting-type move.

Also-also, it much prefers Toxic to spread status around and/or a direct attack move so it doesn't get completely destroyed by Taunt.

T-block

B2B TST
Bastadon has the best, if not one of the best defenses in the game.

Troll Bastadon is where you have stealth rock, roar, metal burst, sunnyday/raindance/hail and give him focus sash. You set-up the stealth rock and spam roar and make people ragequit.
how could you forget shuckleeee

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
how could you forget shuckleeee
You must factor in HP and resistances, too. Even if Bastiodon is boned by Fighting and Ground moves, it has nine resistances and an immunity. Shuckle resists two virtually unused types and is weak to three fairly common types.

Neither of them are good at tanking outside of a 3v3 setting, though. Chansey is the true champion.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Bastiodon.

Also, Sturdy in Generation 5 is an built-in Focus Sash. That's the only way it's going to survive any high-powered STAB Fighting-type move.

Also-also, it much prefers Toxic to spread status around and/or a direct attack move so it doesn't get completely destroyed by Taunt.
oh right I forgot, I meant to say balloon, not focus sash. >_>

Edit: @yoshi- yeah his def stats are amazing. MY friend have me his sheildon from his pearl and I decided to train him via E4. Eventually he evolved and was my last pokemon against Cynthia. Lvl 30 taking on her Lucario. Survived a force palm. Like a boss.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Reflex, Bomber you play Pokemans competetively?

If so, I'd like to play you sometime :D

Preferrably singles...

I have veeery little exp in Doubles/Tripples :(

Umbreon is my favorite tank personally.
Not many pokemon can function as an offensive tank, Cleric, and dual wall simultaneously. :3

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Last I checked Reflex is. I'm not, but I occasionally play pokemon only. That's about as competitive as it gets for me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reflex, Bomber you play Pokemans competetively?

If so, I'd like to play you sometime :D

Preferrably singles...

I have veeery little exp in Doubles/Tripples :(

Umbreon is my favorite tank personally.
Not many pokemon can function as an offensive tank, Cleric, and dual wall simultaneously. :3
I make individual competitive things on the cart, but I haven't really played online simulators since the heyday of 3rd gen.

Rizen

Smash Legend
*Rizen quietly observes the strange culture from the lurking bushes. /never got into pokemon :/

Rizen

Smash Legend
Jenny's the officer? Weren't there, idk, clones of her all over in different cities or something?

Top Bottom