• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wreck-It Bowser

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
thought this was pretty interesting. 7 sins done by some guy on DA:

here's his description:

"Since some of the images aren't all that easy to interpret (to me at least), I've given a quick guide/commentary on each. So from left to right, top to bottom we have;

Lust pink/rouge - Quiet hard to symbolize safely. The original draft had a very close view point from the top of the portrait looking down onto Bowser, clawing his way up the painting. It was effective but a little too...suggestive.

Envy light green - This one was probably where the idea for the sins originally came from. The idea (for a comic) that Bowser would spy on Mario, trying to learn 'the secret' to how Mario is with Princess Peach, taking notes, etc. Bowser becomes evermore envious of Mario's success and demeanor, until he eventually just caves in to his jealously and just pushes Mario away takes the princess regardless. The idea that someone as powerful as a king would be reduced to sneaking around made me laugh (the Ice King from Adventure Time comes to mind).

Sloth blue - Super Mario Bros. 3. Super Mario world. Super Mario Sunshine. New super Mario Bros. What do they all have in common? Mario is distracted by whatever, Bowser swoops in and takes the princess. Why doesn't he attack Mario? Bowser's lazy, he does what he wants (getting the princess) and goes home, letting Mario bring the fight to him. Feel that I kinda cheated here by using text, but having Bowser just lay there to show sloth felt...lazy.

Greed dark green - Probably the hardest to represent, without it stepping on the toes of the other sins. Knowing how gluttony would be represented, having Bowser surrounded by wealth was out. Plus, I can't ever recall Bowser ever being driven by money, it always seemed to be power over people and control of land. So how do you show Bowser owning the kingdom/planet/universe? I defiantly didn't want it being some ******* snow-globe thing. Finally settled on the progression of his ambition, starting with a kingdom, then the planet, to universe. Again, how do you represent the universe as a tangible thing?

Pride purple/violet - Bowser's awesome, didn't you know? He's not only the king of a powerful kingdom, but now he's got a princess too! Everything is going his way. He's actually so distracted by his own awesomeness he's forgotten to close the front (and back) door to the castle. Whoops.

Wrath deep red - This one speaks for itself. The main thing I wanted to do with this image, was use colour to embody each sin. Wrath is usually a deep red, so is seemed fitting to have the scenario play out on a bridge above lava (lava is a lot harder to draw than I thought).

Gluttony orange - If you've ever played Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, you just know this scene would be here. Tried making this look as oily and greasy as I could, luckily that orange adds to the sense Bowser is filling up the panel (the floor for the scene in the game is also orange/red, thought that was pretty cool)."

-dogmansp

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
That's pretty cool. I think the wrath picture was a bit unerwhelming though. I would have preferred if he was doing a wrathful gesture in a dark backdrop with flames all around him. The greed picture is awesome though.

Edit- This is probably the scariest interpretation of Bowser I've ever seen-

Joshsummana from Deviant Art.

Flayl

Smash Hero
That 7 sins pic is pretty good, I'd like the scary Bowser more if he didn't have the Thing's jaw.

Jay: Glad someone caught that haha

Rizen

Smash Legend
Those are good :) . Giga Bowser is another scary version of Bowser

The 7 Koopalings are Bowser's kids? And Bowser Jr is his youngest? Who is the mother anyway? (Not Peach according to SM Sunshine)

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
oh **** i never thought about that. 7 sins, 7 koopalings. eeekkkk.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Those are good :) . Giga Bowser is another scary version of Bowser

The 7 Koopalings are Bowser's kids? And Bowser Jr is his youngest? Who is the mother anyway? (Not Peach according to SM Sunshine)
According to Wikipedia, Miyamoto recently confirmed that the Koopalings aren't his kids in official canon. It was originially thought they were because a Japanese instruction manual for one of the 90s games said they were (so they technically were I guess).

There is no official canon about the mother.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I actually feel sorry for the Koopalings. They're only used as personality-less stock bosses in every game they're in! Even in their one-time RPG appearance, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, they were boring sub-bosses. In each and every appearance, they don't get any voiceover or text box dialogue whatsoever. :glare:

Honestly, their only crowning achievements were their appearances in the cartoons. Whether you liked the shows or not, at least the Koopalings actually had personalities there.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I actually feel sorry for the Koopalings. They're only used as personality-less stock bosses in every game they're in! Even in their one-time RPG appearance, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, they were boring sub-bosses. In each and every appearance, they don't get any voiceover or text box dialogue whatsoever. :glare:

Honestly, their only crowning achievements were their appearances in the cartoons. Whether you liked the shows or not, at least the Koopalings actually had personalities there.
The thing is the Koopalings actually have personalities that could be explored really well. Nintendo just doesn't do it because they get away with making money whilst being incompetent. A sequel to Bowser's Inside Story with the Koopalings would be really cool, especially if you could use them like partners in the Paper Mario series.

But in general, the Mario series has become incredibly uncreative and repetitive nowadays. It's really living off its glory days back in the 90s. BIS was probably the most innovative game they've made in ages.

There is so much potential that the game developers could tap into with characters, power-ups, gameplay mechanics etc. that they just don't that I refuse to buy any of the games except for the 3D ones.

I mean, does anyone actually prefer Bowser as a comical villain? He's a pretty good comical villain, but almost everyone preferred him as badass in the Galaxy games.

All the modern side-scrollers are basically the same game. And the boss fight is the same too. Defeat Bowser by hitting a switch. Then he turns large and defeat him by using his attacks against him, whilst travelling in a certain direction. Then after that, there's a Dry Bowser boss.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
@Dre: YES, Nintendo (more specifically Miyamoto) has definitely been stifling the creativity of the Mario franchise as of late. I couldn't agree more, because the platformers absolutely refuse to evolve stylistically, aesthetically, and even mechanically. The core gameplay and controls are as tight as ever, but the experiences almost always feel hollow, overall. The designers are clearly capable of so much more, but it seems like they impose creative limits on themselves just for the sake of imposing creative limits. They could do more with the Koopalings, they could do more with other enemies, and they could do more with a lot of ****, in general. Seeing such a talented developer refusing to progress and improve makes me a sad panda. It's like an A-level student who constantly settles for a B......

As for Bowser, I think his best portrayals were....

Super Mario RPG: He's lightning in a bottle! He's earthquake in a can! Bowser had plenty of humorous moments, while still remaining a badass that numerous characters in the plot feared and respected. A nice balance is struck here, and it's arguably Bowser's best appearance as a protagonist. He mixed wit, badassery, and goofiness to great effect. The big guy even composed his own haiku, as you can see on the front page of the MU thread. I'd love to see Square-Enix have another run with the Koopa King, as well as the Mario franchise, in general. Sports games don't count!

Paper Mario: Bowser is the main villain here, and he's well-portrayed as a goofball that could kick your *** by yourself or with his gigantic army. He was large, in charge, and everybody knew that. He ransacked the Star Road, brilliantly added Peach's Castle to his own, and he would have killed Mario at the beginning of the game if it wasn't for the Star Spirits. He was a classical evil king, and he performed his role well. Quite frankly, this game featured his most elaborate evil scheme and defense measures ever. He threw everything at Mario, including the kitchen sink.

Super Mario Galaxy: Bowser didn't really show a lot of his usual personality here, but he was a super-badass in terms of feats. He completely wrecked the Star Festival, conquered numerous small galaxies, and almost became God. That's right, BOWSER ALMOST BECAME GOD. He was creating his own ****ing galaxy, and he had Sephiroth-esque epic music that played during his fights/cutscenes. Even his "death" scene looked badass. The Mushroom Kingdom was no longer good enough for Bowser in this game. He wanted the whole damn universe, and he almost took it through sheer force, rather than scheming.

Bowser's Inside Story: Bowser was a big buffoon in this game, but he was a hilarious buffoon that kicked so much ***. Bowser was marching around the world burning stuff, smashing stuff, and straight up mauling everything with his bare hands. Entire armies of Fawful's minions and Bowser's own brainwashed minions were mowed down. In fact, only incredibly inconvenient deus ex machina plot devices could put a stop to Bowser, forcing the Mario Bros. into action. I suppose those plot devices were necessary, because without them Bowser would have defeated the bad guys way too easily, and we wouldn't have had much of a game on our hands! You could say that Bowser couldn't have got the job done without the Mario Bros., but you could also say that the Mario Bros. couldn't have got the job done without Bowser. These guys were a super team, an unholy trinity that was absolutely unstoppable by any force within their universe. Bowser did his job well as the big bruiser of said unholy trinity, and he entertained us all with his antics.

There were other good Bowser portrayals/moments, but these were the best, imo. He's proven that he can work as a comic villain, a badass villain, an anti-villain, or a hybrid. I prefer a hybrid, myself.

Scatz

Smash Champion
But in general, the Mario series has become incredibly uncreative and repetitive nowadays. It's really living off its glory days back in the 90s.
That's how it's been for most games these days. Creativity isn't there anymore because people keep buying simple stuff that allows little to zero thought or experimentation. They're catering towards casuals gamers that want instant satisfaction rather than having to actually work a little to achieve something good.

DLC has pretty much ruined the gaming industry too since developers can release things early and finish it later, which is a waste of time and effort imo.

@Uncle: I think Bowser was at his best with SMRPG and Paper Mario 1 & 2.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The thing is the Koopalings actually have personalities that could be explored really well. Nintendo just doesn't do it because they get away with making money whilst being incompetent.

But in general, the Mario series has become incredibly uncreative and repetitive nowadays. It's really living off its glory days back in the 90s.

All the modern side-scrollers are basically the same game. And the boss fight is the same too.
I completely agree.
He's lightning in a bottle!
... I had a good reply pic but my old imageshack uploads are disappearing! WTF?

That's how it's been for most games these days. Creativity isn't there anymore because people keep buying simple stuff that allows little to zero thought or experimentation. They're catering towards casuals gamers that want instant satisfaction rather than having to actually work a little to achieve something good.
Yes.

I beat New SMB for the DS with all the star coins etc then got New Super Mario Bros Wii because it was supposed to be really expanded but abandoned it shortly after beating it. I never got the following SMBs.
What's sad is SMB3 had the most power ups and best inventory of any platformer and it was for the NES! Mario games are more of the same, which is done to death, now days.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I agree totally with MrEh. I think BIS captured Bowser to the T, in absolute perfection.

:phone:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Yeah I'd say the Galaxy games and BIS are the most extensive portrayals of Bowser. Any Bowser fan should play BIS.

Except that game makes me feel like a ******. It takes me like 50 attempts to get A ranks on the minigames. I feel like a ****** becase I know other people got A ranks much quicker. I've only done a few of them as well, I don't think I've done the hardest ones yet either.

B!squick

Smash Master
It's been years but I can FINALLY play Halo 4! :D

.... And the game is very, meh. If I would have known it was going to be this unimpressive, I would have just traded my 360 and games in toward a Wii U. I wish it was worse at the least so I had something to talk about, but there really isn't anything to expand on.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yo my birthday is in 8 days. Im at college now (yo finals) so whatever my 'rents decide to get me I wont see until a week after.

My logic was that the wii u doesnt have anything yet so I should get the 3ds. What are your thoughts? Is there something better? I figured the vita was useless since I have a ps3

Rizen

Smash Legend
I got a Wii U but no 3DS because money. The big screen 3DS is now the normal price and based on the DS>DSLite>DSi or whatever pattern it might be a good time to get one or wait for the Wii U price to drop. The 3DS doesn't have too many appealing games despite being out a while though and the U looks more promising. I've never played a 3DS.
/my 2 cents

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
The 3DS doesn't have too many appealing games despite being out a while though and the U looks more promising. I've never played a 3DS.
/my 2 cents
so I should get a Wii U? -.-

Scatz

Smash Champion
Only if you're waiting for the big releases for WiiU. If not, then wait it out. 3DS doesn't have too many amazing games either imo.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
So there really is nothing special to get then..eh **** it ill just get the 3ds. Theres no other console or handheld to really bother getting imo

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
3DS at least has Luigi's Mansion 2.

I haven't played it (I don't even have a 3DS) but I'm guessing that game would be awesome.

B!squick

Smash Master
Wii U is pretty sweet. Even Nintendo Land is excellent. Zombie U is good, too, and I'm generally not into those survival horror games. Not sure if they're still doing it, but they had a deal with the Wii U's (pretty sure this is only the better black one) where you'd also get, like, 10% of Shop titles for... 2 years?

Also, Nintendo isn't going to charge devs to update games for the Wii U. Indie devs are so stoked. :D

D

Deleted member 189823

I came back from a two-day tournament and didn't do too bad, I guess. I played well on Saturday, but didn't make it very far. Today, I think I had two decent matches and one match I just did terribly bad at. I was so nervous of the first match before that one that I couldn't even power shield correctly and got punished for every mistake (AKA 3-0).

To me, though, this is an improvement. I've always just completely SUCKED in tournaments. This time I did pretty damn well. The best part is that I got the sets saved. :awesome:

Flayl

Smash Hero
I loved those, too bad he didn't make a series out of that. Although I guess there's only so many times you can get blown up by the Joker.

Top Bottom