• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wreck-It Bowser

B!squick

Smash Master
Well, I'm done with Chivalry. It took a while, but my patience has run it's course. It's got several small problems that added together has turned out to be just enough to get me to not play it ever again. I may play it again when it gets patched, but it's doubtful. I guess that just means lots more Dota 2 from here on until I finally get my Xbox back.

Also, don't bother with Guns of Icarus unless you have someone to play with. There's just no way for you to lone wolf that game. There's literally NO way you can get by in that game without at least one person you know you can rely on. Also, a better physics engine would have gone a long way toward making that game better.

Additionally, if you've ever been curious about Star Trek Online: play it. It's so much better right now than it was at launch. It's like a reverse Star Wars Galaxies.

Still can't believe City of Heroes is going away. ****ing love that game. T_T

D

Deleted member 189823

I Bowser ditto'd the other Bowser in my region and got 2-0'd twice.
I kind of knew I was going to lose, because I suck at dittos where you have to keep a lead and momentum, it was going SO well at the start, but I just lost concentration.
Worst part is that his Bowser sucks, but I suck against players that do n00bish things, so.

Fire breath can do tons of damage, but the opponent can either escape the flames with minimal damage or punish Bowser with something like a Marth UpB if he/she knows how to SDI it properly. The breath is usually best used as a short burst harassment tool, and it's interesting how much you can learn about your opponent just by catching them once with it. Watch how they react to getting burned, and plan your future fire breath usage in the match off of that. If they are horrible at dealing with flames, THAT'S when you hold the B button down on them.
Trust him on this, it's pretty much the only reason I lost. I suck for that. :awesome:
I hate Bowser dittos.

D

Deleted member 189823

I played it once, yeah (not counting online).
My johns are valid.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I dislike most dittos. G&W and Ganon dittos I hate. Lag wifi dittos are terrible. Bowser is a ditto I don't know but probably will dislike (played it once on wifi).

(^reeally positive comment *eye-roll*)

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yoshi dittos are worse.

Nothing but throwing eggs at each other, then spamming egg lay/grabs and usmash.

smh

MK dittos are amazing tho, its the only MU where I actually enjoy using MK lol. Especially Double MK vs Double MK, that **** is amazing and its all you see in friendlies around here loooool.

Weegee dittos are also fun. Shoryukens for days.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I know Bowser dittos more intricately than any other MU in the game lol

:phone:

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
In other news, I read back a few pages and I'm sad that Olimar seems to have an answer to NAir. I'm also not shocked in the slightest. Seems Bowser is just made to fail. He'd probably be a contender for worst in the game if Klaw wasn't so disjointed
Olimar HAS an answer, yes.
Some things to note, though:

- Jab1 does 5%, no? Jabbing a Red/Yellow brings it down to a percentage where it wouldn't survive to actually rocket against the weak part of Nair. Should also bring Purples/Blues down to a percentage where they can't handle the strong hitbox.

- In theory, Olimar should be borderline untouchable with the rocketing stuff. In practice, it's not exactly feasible without Usmash OoS or a ton of practice against specific moves (or a really good teammate XD).
Rocketing without Usmash OoS can be hard as month-old french bread, since hitlag varies between moves and the pikmin has to survive the hit it takes.
I'm not entirely sure that Olimars really care to practice/try stuff against Bowser since he's low-tier and all that, so how many of them do you think'll try to rocket without Usmash OoS?

- Like I said earlier, being in your shield against an aerial Bowser can be scary as hell because of his air grab.

So don't just give up on Nair because Olimar has an answer to it. You have options as well.

Seems that Bowser's Nair keeps spinning for like... 20+ frames after he lands if he lands during the spinning part of Nair, though?
If so, that might be a problem when you're trying to actually hit Olimar with the Nair. He's pretty little/close to the ground, so a hit on-shield might mean that he can just wait for you to land and react with Usmash OoS without the rocket.
Some input from someone that actually knows Bowser's frame data would be nice.

B!squick

Smash Master
Guys. Hey. Hey, you guys...

Watch Game Grumps on YouTube.

It's like Video Games Awesome or whatever on TGWTG.com only it's actually good and not terrible.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I second Jay's recommendation to watch Game Grumps. I've always liked egoraptor's stuff and JonTron is a great complement to him. It's hilarious ****.

B!squick

Smash Master
I never knew two people just sitting around playing games could be so much fun to watch and listen to. Jon has some of the greatest reactions to anything ever. And with those ads I bet they rake in the cash, lol.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Jon can be really obnoxious though, sometimes he tries too hard to be funny. Other than that yeah it's a good way to spend 10+ minutes, they're pretty awesome at improvising and puns

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Wreck it ralph was some good ****.

Now we just need Bowser's Inside Story to become a film and I will be satisfied.

also if anyone feels like playing wifi i'm back home for thanksgiving break. my CRTV blew out after a decade and i'm not bothering to get another one of those so i just bought a new tv. I do have an extremely small crtv if i get desperate, but i probably won't use it.

:phone:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
okay. rizen and i played. ny to colorado--lag was expected but nevertheless it was pretty chill.

here's a tip i think we all (should) know. there are matchups where it's okay to up-b whenever you want, and there are some where it's a definite no-no and you'll need to pick and choose when to do so.

i'm talking specifically when your opponent is at low percents, where they can actually PUNISH you for up-b POST-HIT.

i mentioned that in the Wolf thread, but for example, against falco and d3, you would want to be careful what and when you upb. if they DI up-forward/up-back, they can proceed to follow you and get a chain grab on you. that being said, the chaingrab distance will be mitigated, so it's a bit more acceptable to do up-b oos against falco than it is against d3 since the cg is a permanent factor in that MU.

again, i'm sure we all know this..i don't think this is really any new news to anyone.

(This has been brought to you by Daily Limits, Ltd.. Know yours?)

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Thanks again for playing.:)

We both had trouble air dodging in that lag:c. Your buffering/spacing was far superior to mine. Bowser's decent sideways air speed+slow fall+low but long upB are hard for me to work with because I'm not used to those and missed some edgehogs and intercepts in the lag. Bower's so big it makes stages feel smaller.

Qs
What % can bowser be CGed to and how should he escape after that (Link can Zair, for example)? A big problem vs Falco was I had no idea how to deal with his CG>spike.

How should I approach? I can shield dash in or try for an air Klaw but both are really obvious. Ledge returns were punished a lot too:c.

With many things (Snake's tilts, Ganon's Choke chain etc) I felt trapped like there was no good option and I just had to have lucky timing to escape. Part was because Bower's hurt box goes out so far even during attacks which feels weird when I'm used to having a lot of disjoint. A big part was lag.

/tl;dr For many things I didn't know a good way to deal with it and fell back on basic Klaw, OoS UpB etc.

PS Momentum canceling Bair (should I use Fair?) and stuff like land>Dtilt are habits from my other characters.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Used :bowser2: yesterday and won a MT tourney with him + I used :wolf: 2 times vs :pit:. I also won two singles sets yesterday with him and barely lost a MM to Lie. Got 2nd in singles and 1st in MT's. Returning the :bowser2: I had to show I am prepared for the panel.

:018:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
^Thanks again for playing.:)

We both had trouble air dodging in that lag:c. Your buffering/spacing was far superior to mine. Bowser's decent sideways air speed+slow fall+low but long upB are hard for me to work with because I'm not used to those and missed some edgehogs and intercepts in the lag. Bower's so big it makes stages feel smaller.
yeah wifi really hurts my movement, and even worse than before because i havent actually touched wifi/my own wii in like 7 months haha so i was so mind****ed when playing yesterday. not even just against you..against everyone

Qs
What % can bowser be CGed to and how should he escape after that (Link can Zair, for example)? A big problem vs Falco was I had no idea how to deal with his CG>spike.
are you talking specifically against Falco? I think he can get cg'd up to 60, or if not that then some random number in the 50s. the most you can do without ****ing yourself over is to just DI up and out..you'll be able to tell when his time is up because you'll be going further than before, and you should be able to jump out.

if the falco blows and can't cg properly, just upb out and go to the ledge i guess. i've never dealt with that situation because bowser is so ****ing huge that it's impossible to mess up/i haven't played a mediocre falco in a while haha

How should I approach? I can shield dash in or try for an air Klaw but both are really obvious. Ledge returns were punished a lot too:c.
depends on the MU. i just knew how to punish your approaches because i just know that you're not on that next level ****. when you're in the air, it's EXTREMELY important that you don't just throw the klaw out there. you need to react to what your opponent is doing, because when you select klaw you're basically committing wholly to only one side. if you pick left, all you can do is go left. so if your opponent was to roll behind you, there's nothing you can do but hold that ****. you have to see what your opponent is doing, i know a lot of times in my early bowser days i would eat a lot of pivot grabs or cross up rolls/utilts or whatever. you just need to be conscious of that and pick the correct side. it's not like you have to guess (i mean on wifi you pretty much have to)--you can literally see your opponent, and if they roll or go to your backside too early then they'll just eat the side b. if they roll too late bowser can whiff the klaw and klaw in the opposite direction..there's like zero landing lag lol

that still doesn't answer your question. specifically for me, i just approach with side b. if my opponent doesn't feel like approaching i just sit there and think. you start with 8 whole minutes. why would you rush the approach? think about it, and then do it. if it were up to me i would just sit there for 7 minutes and 30 seconds and then do **** looool

but yeah i just walk forward and ftilt, or walk forward and jab. most of the time i just go for a ground/aerial klaw and then cover it if necessary. short hop air dodge into whatever is usually good too--use it, don't abuse it. it's not THAT good.

With many things (Snake's tilts, Ganon's Choke chain etc) I felt trapped like there was no good option and I just had to have lucky timing to escape. Part was because Bower's hurt box goes out so far even during attacks which feels weird when I'm used to having a lot of disjoint. A big part was lag.

/tl;dr For many things I didn't know a good way to deal with it and fell back on basic Klaw, OoS UpB etc.
bowser isn't made for wifi. it's why i stopped playing bowser on wifi and wifi in general lol unless the connection is manageable and even then sometimes i just get bored/annoyed.

there is always a good option, i just exploited the fact that you probably didn't know what to do lol. you use firebreath a lot, which is bad. i mean it's good because people get tripped up on wifi but if you were to ever use bowser offline, don't. a lot of characters can SDI out and eat you alive, especially if your opponent is ridiculous at SDI lol

you should aim to throw snake's grenades back. you would just throw out fire when i was nowhere near you haha

PS Momentum canceling Bair (should I use Fair?) and stuff like land>Dtilt are habits from my other characters.
to momentum cancel you should either fair and then airdodge (aka fair again because no one remembers to airdodge) or do the reverse.

it was kind of absurd with doing bowser dittos. i feel the most comfortable in that match up aside from against falco or g&w or something.

Used :bowser2: yesterday and won a MT tourney with him + I used :wolf: 2 times vs :pit:. I also won two singles sets yesterday with him and barely lost a MM to Lie. Got 2nd in singles and 1st in MT's. Returning the :bowser2: I had to show I am prepared for the panel.

good job bro, keep doing your thing.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'm gonna keep using :bowser2: in tourney when the opportunity presents itself. Is it sad I think I'm a top 3 :bowser2:?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm gonna keep using :bowser2: in tourney when the opportunity presents itself. Is it sad I think I'm a top 3 :bowser2:?

I don't know/care about the top 5 Bowser business anymore. I don't even know who's at the top of the list anymore, I just play the game, I'm not interested in the fame. That sounds extremely corny, but seriously me obsessing over the top **** will get me nowhere. I just have to play and let that speak for itself.

Besides is being a "top 3" Bowser really an accomplishment right now? Was it ever, really? Aside from the "wow you're the best bowser, how the **** do you play this guy" and actually placing really well in bracket (aka Vex/KingKong)...

There are only a couple of Bowser players and the amount of good Bowser players in that list is even smaller. It's always been like this. Someone could just randomly drop by in the boards, dedicate themselves to Bowser for a couple of months, and if they're good enough and have the ability to attend high quality tournaments regularly, they'll be set...It's not sad, it's just not entirely out of grasp for any of the Bowser players here--I really don't think it's that challenging. The gap between being "the best Bowser" and "the only Bowser" is too small for being a top 3 Bowser to mean a lot...that's just my opinion.

I definitely, without a doubt appreciate you returning to Bowser and I wouldn't have it any other way. Keep tearing up MD/VA with him, even if it's only in mid tiers or low tiers or whatever! I just don't want anyone to forget how easy it really is to be considered a top 5 Bowser now lol. Like I remember when Zigsta used to get dead last at tournaments for months when he played Bowser before he got a bit better, and he was still considered a top 5 Bowser...like really?

It'd be different if we had like, '08-'09 Vex, KingKong, myself, Sliq, MrEh, Phiddlesticks, Gen, Zekey, Ninjalink (-___-), Zigsta, Uncle, you (keeping it strictly American lmfaooo), and then Ixis, KJ, Hobobloke, and everyone else. Then it would be a true competition, you know? We were all pretty nasty at one point, and in fact some of us still are.

We're just *****s with cobwebs in our shells. :/ Like for real I don't think I will ever get to the tournament regularity that I want because I just have too much **** going on in my life. I like the game and I love playing Bowser, but not enough to over-ride what I currently have going on for myself. By the time I'm even able to go to like 3-5 tournaments a month, Smash 4 will probably be out lmao. I just do what I can and I show up here and there. Guys like you, KingKong, Uncle and Vex (if he ever feels like it) are the ones who can really put in a good word for Bowser. I'm just like...the Latios of Bowser players or some ****. I'm just never there :(. Unless we have to wait like 4 more years or something and then I'll go ape**** and become the endgame player of Bowser mains, but that's highly unlikely.

I'm satisfied with going to events when I can and doing it at my own pace, I just know Bowser's not really getting all of the recognition he deserves, you know?

yay, another one of my rants. lmao

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
i'm guessing it would have to be jigglypuff..that's the only character i can think of that's s e v e r e l y underplayed..

Flayl

Smash Hero
It seems to me there are a "lot" of jigglypuff players floating around, at least people that claim they are. I was thinking of Captain Falcon.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Thanks for the props, Limit, but I would never put my name up there with KK and Vex. They actually took names with Bowser, while I can't even place top 5 at locals. I don't even think I'm the #5 Bowser anymore. I know my character well, but I can't accomplish anything in bracket besides beating scrubs. The only things I'm truly notable for is being the only Bowser main to compete in the MLG Brawl circuit (and do decently) and my performance in this 2011 tourney: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=313070&highlight=Salt

Other than those distinctions, I'm just an unranked, average-at-best player who can't even get ranked #10 on the PR of a lowly state like North Carolina. What's even worse is the fact that I find myself being forced off of Bowser more and more in order to win matches. MK, ICs, D3, ZSS, Yoshi, and Pit are all coming out of the woodwork to make my life a living nightmare. Furthermore, players in my region have learned how to actually respect what Bowser can do, which makes things even more challenging for me. People actually know who I am and what I can do with this big guy, so my low-tier element of surprise is completely gone. I still have a lot of improving to do as a player, of course, but now more than ever, I feel restrained by the limitations of the Koopa King. :urg:

I love playing Bowser, but I also want to win. The latter is gradually becoming more important to me.........

B!squick

Smash Master
It seems to me there are a "lot" of jigglypuff players floating around
I see what you did thar.

EDIT: Oh yeah, an update on my Xbox if anyone cares. Turns out the new laser or whatever didn't fix the problem because now the problem is either the whole disc drive or the laser they got was a dud. They could either try another new laser or whole new disc drive which would have a new laser anyway and I was told for SURE would fix everything. But the drive is $30 more expensive.

=________=

I fully expect my Xbox Live to run out the day I get this danm thing back. I should probably check on that...

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Whenever something's wrong with a console, 90% of the time it involves the freakin' laser or disc drive. I'm kinda getting tired of it, because a similar thing happened to my PS3, so I understand your frustration.

Here's hoping the next generation of consoles is much more reliable in this regard.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Jay, that sucks. Technology can be infuriating and expensive :[ .

The Wii U runs smooth and stays cool. Hopefully it won't break or have the motor burn out like my old wii.

I transferred my Wii data onto my Wii U and no Pikmin were left behind. I'm use the old wii for SSBB because the GC controllers but all my data was moved. So I have a new FC and need to play through subspace to unlock the characters again.
<-This is my new FC.

Sliq

Smash Master
I gave up my Smash career to pursue my one true love: sex with animals.

wait wut

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm thankful for a side-b that can steal all the food I want. Aren't you?

Top Bottom