• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you still attend tournaments that doesnt offer cash prizes?

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
If a tournament was free and offer no cash prizes, would you still attend said tourney?

Why or Why not?

Would you still attend because you want to be recognized as the best player in your region or is your goal to a lesser degree (such as the best player in the city)? Do you think that if there is no cash prize there is no incentive of a player trying their best? If there was no material gain as a reward; do you think the smash community would be as fleshed out as it is now?

Answer away! I'm very curious to see the outcome of this thread.

auroreon

Smash Ace
Of course I would still go. You don't play the game for financial reasons, getting to tournaments costs 90% of players more than they actually win in prize money.
You go to tournaments to get some solid practise offline against other good players and to have a good time playing a game you enjoy with likeminded people. The money is a very small part of tournaments and its certianly not what they are about.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Even so, I know of some people who literally won't or can't attempt to give it their all unless the player and their opponent put something on the line. Money matches for example are becoming more and more frequent nowadays. Often times I see sections of a venue where a very good player literally creates a "pay to play" business.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I would go, yes, though I would expect the entry fee to be lower than what it would be with pots.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I would assume there wouldn't be an entry fee, you would just have a fee to pay for the venue...

Delvro

Smash Ace
If a tournament was free and offer no cash prizes, would you still attend said tourney?

Why or Why not?

Would you still attend because you want to be recognized as the best player in your region or is your goal to a lesser degree (such as the best player in the city)? Do you think that if there is no cash prize there is no incentive of a player trying their best? If there was no material gain as a reward; do you think the smash community would be as fleshed out as it is now?

Answer away! I'm very curious to see the outcome of this thread.
Of course I would! Especially considering I've never actually won money in a singles tournament. =(

Plus, Rowan, I'm still waiting for the day I play you in an actual tournament~

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Isn't this like asking, "would you attend Smashfests"?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Who doesn't love going to tourneys?

Even though you don't win any money you still get a lot of experience & meet new people.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Of course I would! Especially considering I've never actually won money in a singles tournament. =(
D*** this 10char limit, AiB doesn't have this.

...They don't have the moderation here either. >.>

If you haven't figured it out yet.

"This."

fissionprime

Smash Apprentice
i would go to any tournament i have a chance to no matter whether there is a prize or not, i play to get better primarily and i don't expect to win anything as it is.

PCyph

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion money tournies and free tournies are two different kinds of fun.

One is a competitive thrill

and one is getting better and plain old fun.

Plus at events that don't have prizes you can trash talk a lot more when goofing around and people won't get as angry at you :p

Smudge

Smash Lord
Definitely. I attend tournaments for the people first. Having a chat with people you don't always get to see and meeting new people who you know you share an interest with.

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
Even though you don't win any money you still get a lot of experience & meet new people.
Understandable. A player who is still learning definitely has an incentive to attend tournaments to get better; However, can you still apply this to professional gamers who not only sustains a well-known status among the community, but are also more then capable of winning a tournament through their own effort?

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Fun, meeting people, I don't need to get paid for that. :)

Most people go to tournies to see who is best. Money is just the extra.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I would not go to tournaments if there was no cash prize because actually traveling to those tournaments would add up in money and to lose all that money and not gain anything back other than skill and somewhat friends, is not worth it.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Obviously assuming it was a well-run, reputable tournament with good players, then I totally would, and there's nothing saying it can't be those things without money.

So yeah man, definitely.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
I'm pretty sure I would. I mean in everyone played just for cash prizes we'd only see Meta Knights, Snake's and Falco's at tournaments.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Yeah I still would attend.

I've done it before, and am happy to do it again.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
I'd be MUCH happier going to a free tournament than I would a tourney with a prize.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Yes, BUT.

Only if I was in the region, and DEFINANTLY not in my own community, because ALL of them except the ones I play on a regular basis fail hardcore.(unless I was running it, lol... but then it would have a cash prize) Plus, if I were to go to a said "Free tournament" There'd better be some good competition, and cool people.

Because honestly, I'm not going 0to waste money getting to a place to not recieve an incentive for doing well. I enjoy my incentives.

P.S. Hai Rowan, lol.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I wouldn't care. I'd just go to see how I stack up against other smashers. If I do good then I'd give myself a pat on the back and get that warm fuzzy feeling. If i got smashed (lulz pun) and lost on the second round then at least I'd know that there is some one out there that sucks more than me.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
This is interesting.

I'm actually planning to host a tournament without money prizes (I was thinking one of the prizes is to pay a portion of someone's Genesis fee). Why? It's for this group's school project to donate the entrance fee for a good cause.

My opinion: I would, just depends on the prizes and who's there. XP

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
Assuming it was within a convenient distance of my house, then yeah. I'd go simply for the experience... A free tournament would be a godsend, I think, for people who simply want to gain experience in the scene without having to pay for it.

Geist

Smash Master
Attending a tourney is a much broader experience than just getting money. It's closer to a social gathering than a straight up tournament.
I wouldn't care what they're giving away, because I'm not winning anytime soon anyways. I just go there because it's fun as hell.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I would if it was close and I had nothing better planned for the same time. Experience, etc. etc. Even better if it counts for rankings.

I do think people play harder when there's a prize on the line, though, obviously.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't play Smash for money.

So yes I would.

Top Bottom