• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I just discovered Atmosphere.

this song hits me hard and this performance is incredibly intense and raw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-RfuX9hU8&feature=related
Atmosphere huh. My fave songs by them are Trying To Find A Balance and The Woman With The Tattooed Hands. They're too good.
I'm tellin' you guys, "Always Coming Back Home To You" is a must have for atmosphere fans.

rathy Aro said:
@n9ne: I KNOW! Jay could have been a legend if he stopped at the black album!
WHAT? Jay could have been a legend! Lemme just say something. Jay is a legend. It doesn't matter if you don't like kingdom come or blueprint 3. You have to give the man his props.

Ayaz18 said:
My favorite Artists right now, and albums i'm listening to are:

Nas - Illmatic, Stillmatic, ******
Jay Z - Reasonable doubt, Blueprint 3

Artists I have newfound respect for:

Cudi
Chip the Rip
Nas, and Jay are the ****, good picks. Cudi and Chip are both great, agreed.

Jane

Smash Hero
wow, its great to see everyone's differing opinions on certain emcees and all that. also i'm glad this thread really took off :D

victra: never heard of him/her/them before in my life, recommend me some songs?

WHAT? Jay could have been a legend! Lemme just say something. Jay is a legend. It doesn't matter if you don't like kingdom come or blueprint 3. You have to give the man his props.

yup you're right. doesn't matter how many more mediocre albums he releases, he already established his spot as a legend of the game

S l o X

Smash Champion
Cudi & Chip both are great. Cudi as a rapper is :\ but his tone is GREAT. I can careless about your lyrics being super duper **** if you're spittin shxt and have no flow. Cudi just has that tone you can zone out to.

Jay-Z is a legend, even if he made a song with Soulja boy tomorrow.

^ He stated in like 20 of his songs he dumbed down his lyrics for the money and sales, I'm hoping Lupe doesn't do this. It seems he is headin that way considering his last mixtape and from the quote last page. :|

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Yeah, they're only really well known within the asian community. They're this group in Korea, so gg. <3 They're my favorite group so it's gonna be tough to recommend only a few songs xD
Nocturne http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pMX5uDR_B4
Maze http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx3t1bFg0_0
Follow the Flow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbDLFxzbP_M
Fallen Blossoms http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it20YsnxM6g

And this one is like, everyone's favorite cause it's hella catchy XD
One http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A_uzeSvKvg

:3

Jane

Smash Hero
o0o0o0! i liked every song except "one", it was a bit too pop for my tastes :p

but i REALLY liked that song fallen blossoms!

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hahaha I thought so. One is more popular with the mainstream XD

There are so many songs, and the verses are hella deep. I was never a fan on stuff like that but they really changed my opinion XD

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Man, Masta Killa is seriously underrated and underappreciated.

He had one verse on 36 Chambers and it is one of the top verses on the entire album. I love his delivery and voice so much.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
yup you're right. doesn't matter how many more mediocre albums he releases, he already established his spot as a legend of the game
I'm sorry but by consistently releasing under par music for a rapper of his talent, my view of him does change.

Being a legend doesn't justify making sub-par music.

Jay should have retired after Black Album. His accomplishments are undeniable. However, the quality of his recent music is indeed questionable. Is he just doing it for the $? Seems like that to me.

Does anyone here listen to Mos Def?
I've always wanted to but never have really. I've got The New Danger but never listened to it fully. Heard good things about The Ecstatic.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Yeah man, Mos is a problem. People hate on The New Danger for being too rock, but it showed his versatility as a musician. Plus, using musicians from Bad Brains/Living Colour was definitely a good touch. His new album is #2 in my eyes, behind Black on Both Sides. Auditorium definitely could be track of the year.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRBmrNHbSQ
Its meh, but its still fun for a laugh

I'm a street fightin titan/
my psycho crusher be psychic/
wait psych o syke no/
That was just a mind joke/
You whiffed and went through me/
Now it's time to punish wit a combo/
you can either go and cry/
or you can get dem scoopz/
Yea! Dreyers, Haagan Daez /
even Blue Bell's too HA!/
I'm lightning with my fingers/
Man this ***** so Pringles/
Wombo combo Kara demon/

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'm sorry but by consistently releasing under par music for a rapper of his talent, my view of him does change.

But the quality of music is completely in the eye of the beholder. There is no wrong opinion about music. I doubt Jay-Z is intentionally releasing music he deems to be sub-par. And personally, I don't think it's sub-par. I don't think it's as good as his older albums, but it's better than 90% of today's popular "hip-hop" (i.e. Solja Boy). You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. But in no way am I saying he should make sub-par music; in my opinion, his music isn't subpar. I don't mind if you call his work sub-par, but you're implying that we've already agreed that his music is sub-par and now I'm trying to say it's ok for him to release poor music because he's a legend. Which isn't true.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Completely agree with what you're saying about the subjectivity of music. But you said it yourself..

I don't think it's as good as his older albums
and that's what I'm referring to. His music on BP3 is sub par (imo of course) compared to Reasonable Doubt, Black Album etc...

but it's better than 90% of today's popular "hip-hop" (i.e. Solja Boy).
When I say sub par, I don't mean compared to what you hear on the radio. I don't compare Jay to Soulja Boy though. That's the problem right there. Jay knows he's better then the vast majority of rappers and he no longer pushes himself. He's in too much of a comfort zone. He's lost the hunger. And it shows in his music.

Nothing stood out to me on BP3. At all.

& I'm a fan of Jay.

In conclusion, Nas >

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I have lost respect for raekwon, big daddy kane and krs one. Seriously what the **** were they thinking. when they judged this battle. They should go back under a rock. When i watched it their justification sounded like the dumbest **** ive heard they supposed to be more intellegent.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhDCXgvt2lbCv2aojb part 1

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh4iR7QvBMZ7oA5b7p part 2

**** like this is why hiphop sucks. Its all politics flat out. he got jerked hiphop should be trying to evolve. beyond "street cred" and "hood politics".

Cortez was incredible. Screw the judges for catching feelings and not paying attention to lyrical content.

Kingdom Come

Smash Lord
For everybody saying Lupe is dumbing it down...

STFU he is absolutely not dumbing it down, listen to it carefully the metaphors grow on top of eachother. He is more aggressive, he wants to be #1 on mtvs list.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Completely agree with what you're saying about the subjectivity of music. But you said it yourself..

and that's what I'm referring to. His music on BP3 is sub par (imo of course) compared to Reasonable Doubt, Black Album etc...

When I say sub par, I don't mean compared to what you hear on the radio. I don't compare Jay to Soulja Boy though. That's the problem right there. Jay knows he's better then the vast majority of rappers and he no longer pushes himself. He's in too much of a comfort zone. He's lost the hunger. And it shows in his music.

& I'm a fan of Jay.

In conclusion, Nas >
Hey, sorry I got all heated. Anyway, I understand your point now.

I agree with this wholesale and while I think Nas is much more of a legend than Jay,
Eh... they're both huge legends. That's a big assertion you've made. To say "much" more is... well, a strong statement. I know it's a natural reaction to dislike someone who's able to stay mainstream for a long time, but it's really no detriment to Jay's legacy.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
For everybody saying Lupe is dumbing it down...

STFU he is absolutely not dumbing it down, listen to it carefully the metaphors grow on top of eachother. He is more aggressive, he wants to be #1 on mtvs list.
His new mixtape disappointed me a bit. It's good and I certainly like it, but it isn't on the same level of his other stuff imo. I can't wait for Lasers though.

Jane

Smash Hero
hahaha man i love this thread..

Does anyone here listen to Mos Def?
mos is a god. a musical god. thats it.

Is he just doing it for the $? Seems like that to me.
dude, name a legend, that did not get killed, that hasn't released a subpar album.

and naw, he's not doing it just for the money. jay has true love for hiphop and music in general.

but it's better than 90% of today's popular "hip-hop" (i.e. Solja Boy).
come one now, 90% of todays popular hiphop doesn't = soulja boy

& I'm a fan of Jay.

In conclusion, Nas >
i agree that he's too much in his comfort zone. but hey what can you do. the dudes sold so many albums, has the respect of most, and has it made. he really doesn't have to try as hard as he had to when he started.

and yes, nas >. by just a tad, but still.

i will watch this tomorrow and express my thoughts on it. promise

This thread is too hxc for me i think.
aww no! this thread is for everyone that enjoys any form of hiphop! (you)

ALSO, HEAR YEE HEAR YEE:

have we discussed relapse? (eminem)

album is amazing. many will disagree but em's still got it. completely.

Jane

Smash Hero
D:

i see no hate, crashic. only heated discussion. by people that have mutual respect for each other. where is this "hate"?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I don't hear things like STFU on other general music topics.
Maybe hated is too strong, but this **** gets ****ing melting sometimes.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Most forums I see the metal threads have the most rage (the one here is actually pretty civilized). Which is appropriate sort of.

RE: Relapse. I like it. But it's not the comeback I was wishing for. Lyrically and flow-wise he is on point on almost every track but I found a lot of the hooks obnoxious. Crack a Bottle is an abomination to music, though.

Truth is, Em doesn't pull of the sick Shady persona like he used to. He's strongest on the more serious tracks like Deja Vu. But that's only a handful.

Jane

Smash Hero
it's definitely not what slim shady/marshall mathers LPs were. but i appreciate it for what it is: em 10 years later.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman

Jay should have retired after Black Album. His accomplishments are undeniable. However, the quality of his recent music is indeed questionable. Is he just doing it for the $? Seems like that to me.

I've always wanted to but never have really. I've got The New Danger but never listened to it fully. Heard good things about The Ecstatic.
Mos Def -black on both sides

classic album listen to it.
Most forums I see the metal threads have the most rage (the one here is actually pretty civilized). Which is appropriate sort of.

RE: Relapse. I like it. But it's not the comeback I was wishing for. Lyrically and flow-wise he is on point on almost every track but I found a lot of the hooks obnoxious. Crack a Bottle is an abomination to music, though.

Truth is, Em doesn't pull of the sick Shady persona like he used to. He's strongest on the more serious tracks like Deja Vu. But that's only a handful.
the beat on crack a bottle is heat though. relapse was pretty weak. Deja vu was the only song with any replay value for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itjjlphgLFg
check out jojo pellegrino's version of the song. Flamesssssss.

Dre laced that beat. dayumm
JJP one of the nicest in the game.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Hey, sorry I got all heated. Anyway, I understand your point now.
No need to be sorry man, it's all good.

dude, name a legend, that did not get killed, that hasn't released a subpar album.

and naw, he's not doing it just for the money. jay has true love for hiphop and music in general.
Rakim? Haven't heard all of his albums, and heard some negative comments about his latest release, but never really hear anyone say he dropped a wack album.

And Jay does do it for the money. I agree he loves the music, but his love for money has outgrown it.

''I'm not a business-man, I'm a business man.''

I see it this way. Jay represents the hip hop INDUSTRY. Nas IS hip hop.

Mos Def -black on both sides

classic album listen to it.
Will try to.

As for Relapse, haven't heard it all, but Beautiful >>>
He's releasing a refill with 7 more tracks this month or something.

My opinion on Em; lyrically, he's a monster, the way he puts words together and that, he's incredible. But singles like 'We Made You' and 'Just Lose It' are just annoying. I know why he does it, but the thing is, he doesn't have to. You can release lead singles that aren't dumbed down and still appeal to the masses. Idk... that said, I never really had any Eminem CD on constant rotation.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Relapse grew on me to be totally honest. I was disappointed with it at first, but after awhile, I find myself playing the entire album on repeat. My only issue is how corny he sounds sometimes...he could stay in his subject matter, even keep the annoying voice, but some of his hooks and word selections are just...

...smh.

Love the album now though.

Jane

Smash Hero
rakim...

hmm...

well we could make an arguement that the seventh seal was sub-par, but naww. i don't feel it was.

also, i thought of another emcee with a (near) perfect record. masta ace

a very underrated, mostly unknown, top tier lyricist and storyteller. i highly encourage everyone to check him out.

and matador, i feel exactly how you do.

didn't like it at first, but eventually fell in love. except for the sorry *** singles, of course.

oh and for the record, yes "we made you" sucks, but "just lose it" is awesome ;D

oh, and those jo jo remixes were fire.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
"Truth be told
I'd probably be
Lyricly
Talib Kweli
Truthfully
I wanna rhyme like Common Sense
(But i did five Mil)
I ain't been rhymin like Common since"
- Jay Z on Moment of Clarity
plus he straight up lied when he said he'd never make an album. None of that sounds legendary.

Vash.

Smash Cadet
Can you guys please go deeper undergound... Cool calm pete, EL-P, Aesop Rock, Cage, Yak Ballz, Cannibal Ox, Atmosphere, C-Rayz Walz, Rob Sonic, Blockhead, MF Doom, Nujabes, Jedi Mind Tricks..if you like them I got MADDDD more on my ipod. Sorry if I said some artists that were said all ready but all I see in this thread is arguments over Jay-z, Nas, Rakim, talib and ****... -.-

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
lol underground, mainsteam, it's all hip hop man. Nothing wrong with talking about either.

Pretty sure Atmosphere, MF Doom, Jedi Mind Tricks and them have been mentioned. I have heard of most of the people on the list, but hardly heard any music from them.

Which artist/group do you recommend the most?

Top Bottom