• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
^^ Favorite of all time? I dunno. I'm surprised you can pick one. His catalog is pretty impressive...
that song reprise is really ****ing dope.

can someone give me like three doom songs to listen to? because i have yet to find anything i like by him. maybe it's just me.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
I have multiple favorites.

Mind of a Lunatic - Geto Boys

My Mind is Playin' Tricks on Me - Geto Boys

A Minute to Pray a Second to Die - Scarface

Mr. Scarface is Back - Scarface

Never Seen a Man Cry - Scarface

There are a lot of more, but those have to be my top.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
LL definitel deserves all the recognition he gets and more.

Kid Cudi? I'll pass.

My favourite track of all time by Joey...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoFkHl3KAU0&feature=related
Cudi CAN rap, he just doesn't on most of his songs. I still like his music.

LL's dope, no debating that.

All of Me as your fave Joey song tho? Love the song to death, but Just to be Different, Angel in my Life, and If I Should Die Tomorrow are all just too deep for me to not play on repeat.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Joey's the most consistent artist I listen to. I can't really pick my favorite. Depends on the mood. He's got tracks for everything. If i wanna hear **** talk, I can listen to Dumb Out or World Takeover, or something deep like Just To be Different.

Seems like a lot of people like CuDi.....

Doromac

Smash Journeyman

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I know what you guys mean, it is difficult choosing one, I could list 30+ Joe songs I play nearly daily.

To me though All of Me is on another level.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
If we had to listen to an album non-stop, all day, then my choice will be Mr. Scarface is Back.

Jane

Smash Hero
If we had to listen to an album all day for just one day? Or forever? Lol, if its just one day I have hundreds of choices, but forever, any and every album would eventually be ruined.

Sorry if I overanalyzed the question haha

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
My choice would be Mood Muzik 2 or 3.
Padded room in addition to those two for me. It definitely grew on me since it dropped. Exxxes, In My Sleep, Do Tell, and Happy Holidays definitely...They're some of his top songs imo, amongst some of the others on the album.

I'd play those along with Chino XL - Poison Pen

Eminem - MMLP or Eminem Show

Jay-Z - Blueprint

Nas - It Was Written

Ludacris - Chicken n' Beer

Kanye West - College Dropout

Lupe Fiasco - Either album or any mixtape

J.Cole - The Warm-up

Wale - Mixtape About Nothing OR Back to the Feature. (I usually play them on repeat either way).

T.I. - Paper Trail or Urban Legend

Tupac - All Eyez On Me

Slaughterhouse - Slaughterhouse (always on repeat).

If my Zune were erased tomorrow and I were left with just one of these albums, I could still end up having a good day, lol.

Honorable mentions: Lil Wayne - Tha Carter (I like this album....alot...but I'd never play it on repeat for long)

50 cent - GRODT (Came close, but I'd start fiending for wordplay and lyricism before long)

Chamillionaire - Sound of Revenge (Surprisingly, I like this album a ton, but it slows down waaaay to bad near the end for me to play on repeat.)

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Matador's list is pretty **** ill(except for Wale. Not really a fan of his. Everything else is nice) and I can listen to MM2 and MM3 all day.

I'll try to list some that aren't already on here.

Blu - Below The Heavens, Soul Amazing Mixtape 1

Binary Star - Masters of the Universe

CYNE - Evolution Fight

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 2

Nujabes - Metaphorical Music

Nas - Illmatic

Reks - Grey Hairs

Roots - Game Theory

Jane

Smash Hero
COMPARING IS FUTILE. :b

haha, anyways, i need your guys' help. im making a "mixtape of hard knocks" of basically just a bunch of songs with a good, deep bass, if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

this mixtape im creating was inspired by this song by rob roy (which i had already posted) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lww9Wqq_Cao

so yeah the only prerequisite is that it must hit hard.

like the gorilla zoe song "hood nigga" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-rB6Wgb044

Jane

Smash Hero
no not enough i'm afraid, it must be equal to or greater than that gorilla zoe song.

dr. octagon is a G, but i'm afraid will not suffice for this mixtape

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
lol kid cudi better than scarface?

thats like picking soulja boy over rakim. I dont get it. Scarface is a legend, kid cudi makes pop music.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Name one rapper that's never straight up lied.

Plus, Jay-z has went platinum 10 times.

Sites that rated jay-z as one of the top 10 emcees of all time (granted some of these are stupid lists but you get the point):
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/roc_a_fella7/top_20_rappers_of_all_time/
http://www.epinions.com/content_4556955780
http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2006/emcees/index11.jhtml
http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-rapper-of-all-time.asp
http://rap.about.com/od/toppicks/ss/Top50Emcees_9.htm

...and many others.

I don't know how you can logically deny that he is a legend.
Maybe in some other category, but as a hip hop artist he doesn't really impress me. I liked him when i was young, but then I actually started listening to more than what I got off the radio. =/

Vash.

Smash Cadet
Maybe in some other category, but as a hip hop artist he doesn't really impress me. I liked him when i was young, but then I actually started listening to more than what I got off the radio. =/
If you're going to say that listen to his mixtapes or something. As for him being a legend, like him or not he is.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
lol kid cudi better than scarface?

thats like picking soulja boy over rakim. I dont get it. Scarface is a legend, kid cudi makes pop music.
Again, all opinion. While I personally would put Scarface on my "top ten all time" list and not Cudi, you can't tell people what music they like. If someone picks soulja boy over rakim, good for them. I disagree, but I don't go like "WRONG!!!".

And personally I disagree that kid cudi isn't a rapper. Listen to some of the songs I mentioned earlier. For instance, Make Her Say has Kanye and Common; are you saying they're pop too?

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Make Her Say isn't a good song to pick. I'd say Kanye is pop-rap. I like his music, but 808s and Heartbreaks can't be classified as a rap CD. Also, did you hear Common's last CD? I don't know what sound he was aiming for.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
Common has been ****ing up lately, Kanye really ****ed up on 808's, and Kudi is.... IDK, a mediocre rapper, that I don't have too much of a problem listening to?
Kudi isn't doing anything much to impress me, like I said before, so I can't say anything.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Please don't use what the companies release as prime examples for their intended sound.

For example Gym Class Heroes. The front man Travis is a sick rapper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHJoRlThHfk Unreleased song "Food For Mic Skills"
I didn't. Universal Mind Control was just a bad CD. Common pretty much went against everything his earlier work had stood for. And I have to judge by current sound. Doesn't really matter what someone sounded like 10 years ago. I don't know if i misinterpreted what you said though but whatever.

I already know Travis is good. I like a couple Gym Class Hero songs.

^^I actually like a few tracks off of 808s. As an entire album, not really. But I don't think the whole cd is trash.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
Again, all opinion. While I personally would put Scarface on my "top ten all time" list and not Cudi, you can't tell people what music they like. If someone picks soulja boy over rakim, good for them. I disagree, but I don't go like "WRONG!!!".

And personally I disagree that kid cudi isn't a rapper. Listen to some of the songs I mentioned earlier. For instance, Make Her Say has Kanye and Common; are you saying they're pop too?
it's not like im serious but for me... in a hip hop rap and rnd discussion.. picking soulja boy over rakim is WRONG. opinion can only account for so much wrongness before its just straight up wrong. Lol Kanye is very pop and a bad example of a rapper. Common fell off but has Resurection and BE I give him his credit.. he's got his classics but kanye has never been much of an emcee. He's got ghostwriters and is way more accomplished producer.

Top Bottom