• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I want Em to go back to his Infinite days. He was a lyrical genius without the crazy part. Being crazy just made him great :). Also, he needs to stop having Dr.Dre make so many beats for him. On Relapse, aside from beautiful(excluding bonus tracks), EVERY TRACK was produced by dre. Dre's a legend and all but he should try something new. He should do a track with DJ Premier. That'd be pretty dope. Helll, maybe even kanye would still be aight.
em shouldnt and wont go back to his infinite days.
While he does have some lyrics in there. Its really just him using alot of big words. The content sorta is hollow plus people say that he bit others too much. Whic led him to making his slimshady persona. At that time he had so much blind fury in creating his own the persona worked. it is significantly different from his current face today. He seems confused in relaspe. Not in a i dont give a **** sort of way but a i dont know what im doing and im insecure sort of way. I think he needs to step it up.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'd love to hear Em on a RZA track (a hot RZA track. sometimes RZA can put out some whack ****)

em shouldnt and wont go back to his infinite days.
While he does have some lyrics in there. Its really just him using alot of big words. The content sorta is hollow plus people say that he bit others too much. Whic led him to making his slimshady persona. At that time he had so much blind fury in creating his own the persona worked. it is significantly different from his current face today. He seems confused in relaspe. Not in a i dont give a **** sort of way but a i dont know what im doing and im insecure sort of way. I think he needs to step it up.
I agree with this. but at this point in time I don't think his Shady persona is very sincere. I mean he even tried to kill it off. The latest Em tracks that are any special are the ones where he's a little more down to earth, and serious. Songs like Deja Vu, My Darling, Careful What you Wish For, When I'm Gone, etc. I think those are the joints that he is feeling, but he's not going all out with it. Instead he's making crap like Bagpipes Over Baghdad.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
Lol ya'll dont know about drake. you've just heard his pop songs. that's to be expected cuz those are his most popular.

listen to this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBEaj_cHNy8

you say this guy is average? are you ********. Drake is actually an amazingly talented artist and amazingly versatile. Dude ghostwrites for a ****LOAD of popular artists. he KILLLLLS it on the rapping and the singing.

He hasn't dropped a major label release yet but he's dropping in January. He's gonna release a poppy single late december early january featuring someone famous to get a buzz and drop an album and sell a couple mill. quote me on that. Seriously... no new artists have had the buzz drake has right now in YEARS!.

Drake has such a universal appeal but he's actually soooooooo musically talented.

Ya'll dont get it yet but drake WILL go down in Hip Hop's history books. Give him 5 years and 3 albums, he'll be super famous. Just watch. Honestly... im the first guy to hate on wackass mainstream hip hop but drake is the real deal for quality hiphop with broad appeal.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
I think drake is like a lil wayne who writes his lyrics. Also, I lost any respect I had for him when I saw the black berry freestyle...

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Drake, on a strictly lyrical base, is not better than Jay-Z or Eminem. He may have more universal appeal with his music, but he can't rip a track like either of them. Those two tracks you posted on Drake were actually alright. They actually have replay value. I dunno. It's just hard to take the crippled kid from Degrassi serious when talking about rapping. Plus that black berry freestyle did him no justice and had all his fanboys going "where does it say freestyle?!?!? he doesn't have to freestyle!!!" even though the title of the vid is called a freestyle. I leave him room for improvement cuz those two songs show potential, but the more he hangs with wayne, the more he's gonna end up sounding like him.

I think Eminem should go back to his Infinite days. No matter how you rap, people will say you sound like such and such. Eminem's crazy persona, people said he stole that from Cage and those two were beefing for a while. And aside from the track Infinite, on his album, he doesn't overkill big words. I really don't know why people keep saying that. I mostly think he should just get some new producers. Different beats lead to different lyrics.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
Ya'll will be singing a different tune in a few years.

Drake's song structure and lyrical game is light years ahead of the rest mainstream except lupe fiasco.

i forgot about him. Lupe is verrrry dope.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Drake's music is cool. So Far Gone is all I've heard from him and it's not bad. He makes good music.

he KILLLLLS it on the rapping and the singing with autotune.
fixed.

He does have a mad buzz at the moment, it's undeniable. But people acting like he's a hip hop saviour are going overboard. Be honest, he makes good music and that's that, he isn't that incredible.

The likes of J. Cole, Blu & Skyzoo >>>>> Drake.

rhan

Smash Hero
How do people here feel about Trey Songz giving R Kelly da bidness?

I'm at school right now so i can't give a link. But you can try to look it up on Youtube. "Death of Kellz" and type in Trey Songz. You now you've found it when you hear Trey on teh D.O.A beat.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just started properly listening to Below The Heavens.

First Things First is what I'm stuck on at the mo. Constant rotation. Soul Amazing is great too.

Also, another person to mention is Sha Stimuli, check out his latest album, My Soul to Keep if you like reality based hip hop. I'll post youtube links later.

How do people here feel about Trey Songz giving R Kelly da bidness?

I'm at school right now so i can't give a link. But you can try to look it up on Youtube. "Death of Kellz" and type in Trey Songz. You now you've found it when you hear Trey on teh D.O.A beat.
Trey Songz is dope, but R Kelly >>>

Maybe I prefer R Kelly because growing up, he had the RnB game under complete control. I'll be honest I've heard a handful of Songz's songs (lol) maybe I need to check out for his stuff more.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
concerning R. Kelly and Trey Songz........I can't take any R n B beef seriously. It's like a cat fight. But there's really no comparison. R. Kelly = great. Trey Songz isn't.....but who started that anyway?

I'll wait for the links. Every time I search people's music, I always find like their worst song and judge them off that.

Anyone listen to Reks? Grey Hairs is a classic album imo for anyone hip-hop head.

rhan

Smash Hero

Maybe I prefer R Kelly because growing up, he had the RnB game under complete control. I'll be honest I've heard a handful of Songz's songs (lol) maybe I need to check out for his stuff more.
I like both.

But I just found it funny for Trey to go at R Kelly like that when his style is so much simular to Kellz. They sing alike and they sing about pretty much the same ****.

concerning R. Kelly and Trey Songz........I can't take any R n B beef seriously. It's like a cat fight. But there's really no comparison. R. Kelly = great. Trey Songz isn't.....but who started that anyway?
Trey did. (At least from my knowledge) He was stating that Kellz was wack for using autotune and a bunch of other BS.

He also took a shot at the Dream in a rhyme too.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
But I agree. Autotune should be put to rest. It's kinda played out. i guess t-pain can keep doing it but it's just not, and to me, has never been, good anymore.

Jane

Smash Hero
Dude ghostwrites for a ****LOAD of popular artists. he KILLLLLS it on the rapping and the singing.
who does he ghostwrite for? proof?

Ya'll dont get it yet but drake WILL go down in Hip Hop's history books. Give him 5 years and 3 albums, he'll be super famous.
i agree, drake is just gonna get bigger and bigger. and as far as best new artist, if you combine "new" and "mainstream" then yes, i agree, drake is the best new mainstream artist out.

I think drake is like a lil wayne who writes his lyrics.
who ghostwrites for wayne? i'm not denying it or anything, but i want proof.

but the more he hangs with wayne, the more he's gonna end up sounding like him.
naw, i think drake will always have his drake sound, regardless of how much he hangs out with any rapper.

Revolutionary Vol. 2 is a classic. Too bad The 3rd World couldn't compare....
i love revolutionary vol. 2, and although the 3rd world wasn't as good, i still very much enjoyed it. not as good, but not bad in any sense.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I really hate this attitude. Honestly, I can name 10 little known underground mc's that could rap circles around jay/em right now. The game changes, of course people that grew up listening to em when he was good are gonna be more advanced.

shiitt even drake > jay/em.

I give them their respect because of their classic albums, but I don't give them a pass on releasing weak album after weak album. Honestly.. Encore...then Relapse as comeback?

Kingdom come... american gangster... then BP3?

Fact is Jay-z and Eminem are soo rich that they can afford the best producers, the best guest spots, the best studios, best mixing, best everything... AND THEY STILL put out mediocre ****.

There's so many artists out there that I wish had the ressources that Jay and Em has to put out music, but alas... dont.
LOL drake. Drake>Jay/Em is about the same as saying Lil wayne>Jay/Em. Again, I think your enthusiasm for the underground MCs (saying they're better that 2 MCs generally regarded as top 10 all time) is because you're tired of seeing Jay/Em in the spotlight. These guys started out at the bottom too, with no money, and rose up because they made quality songs. I'm not saying underground MCs are bad or anything, but saying (underground MC)>Jay/Em is a pretty radical opinion, considering what the latter have accomplished. Obviously many people like their albums, or else they wouldn't sell well. If an underground MC was really amazing, they wouldn't stay a secret.

Agreed.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Drake is nowhere near close to jay and em
Song wise for the mainstream hes good. but emcee wise saying hes up there is just as silly as MTV saying that ____ is one of the greatest MCs of all time based on his record sales.

The last legit emcee chart was made by MTV is the year 2000

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
LOL drake. Drake>Jay/Em is about the same as saying Lil wayne>Jay/Em. Again, I think your enthusiasm for the underground MCs (saying they're better that 2 MCs generally regarded as top 10 all time) is because you're tired of seeing Jay/Em in the spotlight. These guys started out at the bottom too, with no money, and rose up because they made quality songs. I'm not saying underground MCs are bad or anything, but saying (underground MC)>Jay/Em is a pretty radical opinion, considering what the latter have accomplished. Obviously many people like their albums, or else they wouldn't sell well. If an underground MC was really amazing, they wouldn't stay a secret.

Agreed.
that's not how the industry works. eminem is famous because of a Dre co-sign 13 years ago. Jay-z is famous cuz of dame dash. I'm not saying they aren't legends. I'm saying that a LOT more than talent conspired to make them what they are today. There was talent, timing, connections, and plain luck.

your theory sounds nice... in theory but in pratice the music industry is 99% connections 1% talent. Has been for years.

Yeah a lot of people love lil wayne. doesn't mean he's good. A lot of people love soulja boy. Doesn't mean he good.

95% of people who buy hip hop albums are teenage teeny bopper girls that will like whatever the industry wants them to like.

Ok i admit drake > Jay/em is a little out there.. but i reiterate that i guarentee within 5 years, saying that statement will not be considered as crazy. I'm just ahead of my time.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
i agree 170%

i love luda.
He is **** good, and his style is unique.

Lmao at that spoof. But Luda hasn't made anything recently.
True, but you have to admit his **** is dope. Knowing Luda, he will be dropping something soon. Also, Theater of the Mind was pretty **** good. Do the Right Thing is probably my favorite track on it.

And yea, the spoof is too good. Affion Crockett is too good at that stuff.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
Luda has a new track on the radio....No clue what it's called but I know he sounded like his original self :). His last album was okay...could've been better but whatever. He's supposed to drop 2 albums next year...

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
oh btw i'm sorry i made of your guys' taste in hip hop.. im a bit arrogant but w/e i'm just confident that i have better taste in music than anyone on the planet. that's just how i am. love it or hate it.

I got a radio show on CFRC 101.9 FM in Kingston, Ontario every Sunday night at 10 PM western time. It's all super fresh independent hip hop, i check the wackness at the door.

Tune in, get educated

http://sunsite.queensu.ca:8000/listen.pls
there's the online stream.

Chyeeaaaa

Vash.

Smash Cadet
You're from Canada? No wonder you stick up for Drake so much. (JK)

I'll check it out no doubt.

Top Bottom