• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
locksmith kind of forces his rhymes. hes dope no doubt but all this "i'm the only dope on from the bay" talk when hes not even the dopest... i dunno.

Vash.

Smash Cadet
Locksmith is a grindtime battler. His battling is better. I didnt like that he called out kanye and wanye do you. The song is alright
He needs to battle hollohan from king of the dot.
I saw no problem with it and actually giggled, they were clever.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I'm cool with it. I don't like Lil Wayne. He's overrated. Not bad. Just overrated. Kanye's aight. His music's good; heads too big. I hope rappers become more honest and just say who they don't like and not just for controversy like Game. I need to look up Hollohan. i know a bunch of battles are happening around new years eve.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I said almost. as in the popular majority. as in not every single MC. I also didn't mean that they constantly rhhyme about themselves being awesome, but it is a pervasive aspect to a great deal of hip-hop acts and you can't sincerely deny that.

I mean, I've never heard someone like Slug or mr. Lif do it, but I believe they do represent a minority.

Vash.

Smash Cadet
Everyone we name in this thread represents a minority. That was until the kanye wayne and cudi thing..

S l o X

Smash Champion
Wow.
Let me explain this to you:
Scarface>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^10^10> Kid Cudi.
Yes and Lykke Li > Scarface.

Now lets compare Football players to Basketball players why don't we.

-
I'm sorry I completely forgot your opinion = everyone else's.

Jane

Smash Hero
lol everyone chill..

but yeah we have been discussing both mainstream and undeground pretty much since the beginning vash

Hyro

Smash Lord
I said almost. as in the popular majority. as in not every single MC. I also didn't mean that they constantly rhhyme about themselves being awesome, but it is a pervasive aspect to a great deal of hip-hop acts and you can't sincerely deny that.

I mean, I've never heard someone like Slug or mr. Lif do it, but I believe they do represent a minority.
haha I know just love that vid <3

Vash.

Smash Cadet
oh right i forgot how underground eminem, jay z, lil wayne and 50 cent etc etc were, my bad.
Oh please let me specify, since I brought up underground for the umpteenth time in the thread. It really looked like they got off jay-z and them.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I like most underground rap that I hear and everything...but it isn't always automatically "superior" to mainstream stuff...as far as music quality goes, mainstream frequently has an edge.

I'd rather hear mainstream hip-hop live than underground.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
^^ lol i wouldn't say it was harsh. plenty of rappers have already said they think Kanye's gay. I think it was beanie sigel that started it.

And underground rap isn't automatically better than mainstream. People tend to forget about Nas, Eminem, Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco, Common, i.e good rappers, when thinking about mainstream music. I understand why because i forget every now and then cuz there's so much trash on the radio. And people don't really mention that there's trash underground too...

Jane

Smash Hero
i thought it was overall dope, cept for the part about him basically calling everyone from the bay trash. thats just straight up ********.

but still, besides the ignorance, the dude's got some ill rhymes

LOL.

even though i don't like jeremih, i gotta give him props for that music video. that was a good video hahaha. the end was funny.

if he was ACTUALLY REALLY freestyling, i will give soulja boy some props. but no way for me to know, so i'll just continue not really giving a fuck about him.

also, does anyone know a good, reliable, BIG, hip hop lyrics site? i'm tired of always googling and going to all these ad infested, annoying ass sites

Jane

Smash Hero
Luigi: i said SOME props ;D i mean if you can freestyle, you deserve at least a pat on the back, for being able to spit off the top of the dome!

Doromac: i'm listening to mm..food right now! :D good album.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
And underground rap isn't automatically better than mainstream. People tend to forget about Nas, Eminem, Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco, Common, i.e good rappers, when thinking about mainstream music. I understand why because i forget every now and then cuz there's so much trash on the radio. And people don't really mention that there's trash underground too...
Very true. People seem to disrespect Jay and Em because of the hype surrounding them, saying things like (little known underground mc)>Jay/Em.

Edit: @Jammin Jobus: It's somewhat understandable if you consider Kanye to be pop, but Common is straight rap. And listen to the song itself. It's definitely rap. There is a recurring beat which serves as the backdrop for the artists to deliver rapid, rhyming lines. It even has turntable scratches.

Vash.

Smash Cadet
Very true. People seem to disrespect Jay and Em because of the hype surrounding them, saying things like (little known underground mc)>Jay/Em.

Edit: @Jammin Jobus: It's somewhat understandable if you consider Kanye to be pop, but Common is straight rap. And listen to the song itself. It's definitely rap. There is a recurring beat which serves as the backdrop for the artists to deliver rapid, rhyming lines. It even has turntable scratches.
It's kind of hard to respect them now when you grew up listening to their old **** and have to see what they release now, its horrid. (IMOOOOOO)

Jane

Smash Hero
jay and common i agree dropped gold in their past, and now its crap.

eminem, although better in the past, is definitely not disappointing me at all currently.

kanye, i still think is in his prime. as far as i'm concerned he hasn't dropped anything not great. his most recent album, 808s, is not hiphop, it is its own thing, and when you accept it for what it is, (and if you like that kind of music) then youll like it.

although as a person, i think no one could disagree that he is indeed a gay fish.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman
It's kind of hard to respect them now when you grew up listening to their old **** and have to see what they release now, its horrid. (IMOOOOOO)
Truth right here.

Common
Jay-z
Eminem
Nas

All legends.. but super washed up
Common... I mean listen to ressurection or BE then listen to his new **** with the neptunes. Honestly.
Jay-z hasn't been good since the black album. Quote me on that. The more mediocre **** he releases the more i wanna listen to reasonable doubt, blueprint, black album.
Eminem. Trash.
Nas - Probably the greatest rapper alive... I really wanted to like his ****** album but I couldn't.
Other than Sly fox which was dopeas****. he's honestly a shadow of his previous self.

before some idiot goes "blah blah blah opinion".

of course its my opinion. that why I AM posting it.

`Jammin' Jobus

Smash Journeyman

I really hate this attitude. Honestly, I can name 10 little known underground mc's that could rap circles around jay/em right now. The game changes, of course people that grew up listening to em when he was good are gonna be more advanced.

shiitt even drake > jay/em.

I give them their respect because of their classic albums, but I don't give them a pass on releasing weak album after weak album. Honestly.. Encore...then Relapse as comeback?

Kingdom come... american gangster... then BP3?

Fact is Jay-z and Eminem are soo rich that they can afford the best producers, the best guest spots, the best studios, best mixing, best everything... AND THEY STILL put out mediocre ****.

There's so many artists out there that I wish had the ressources that Jay and Em has to put out music, but alas... dont.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Drake isn't that good...He's decent, but he's at the bottom of the barrel of new artists.

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
"shiitt even drake > jay/em"

Really, man?

American Gangster wasn't a bad album. It actually got majority positive reviews. Kingdom Come = Trash. BP3 - haven't listened to it but from what I hear, it's pretty mediocre.

Nas, to me, is still as good as he used to be.... well close to it. Untitled was a good album; had great lyrics but the productions were complete asss.

Eminem just can't be that crazy guy anymore. It's old now. He's just struggling to find a niche. Everyone is still expecting him to rap like MMLP and SSLP. Can't do the same shiznit over and over again and expect people to like it, though.

Kanye -I like his music. I respect that he changed his sound and ventured out of traditional rap. may not have been his best cd, but I hate it when people are too repetitious with their music and make everything sound the same.

Common - you phucked up. don't do that again.

Doromac

Smash Journeyman
They are making songs like ****, because the people who listen to mainstream rappers like that ****, and that's what makes them the most money.

Jane

Smash Hero
shiitt even drake > jay/em.
haha wait what?

come on now, even lil wayne agrees:

Nas, to me, is still as good as he used to be.... well close to it. Untitled was a good album; had great lyrics but the productions were complete asss.
yes.

Eminem just can't be that crazy guy anymore. It's old now. He's just struggling to find a niche. Everyone is still expecting him to rap like MMLP and SSLP. Can't do the same shiznit over and over again and expect people to like it, though.
i agree for the most part, but i still enjoy the whole crazy guy thing. it's not the same as before, not as powerful, but i can dig it.

Kanye -I like his music. I respect that he changed his sound and ventured out of traditional rap. may not have been his best cd, but I hate it when people are too repetitious with their music and make everything sound the same.
YES.

Common - you phucked up. don't do that again.
yes.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Truth right here.

Common
Jay-z
Eminem
Nas

All legends.. but super washed up
Common... I mean listen to ressurection or BE then listen to his new **** with the neptunes. Honestly.
Jay-z hasn't been good since the black album. Quote me on that. The more mediocre **** he releases the more i wanna listen to reasonable doubt, blueprint, black album.
Eminem. Trash.
Nas - Probably the greatest rapper alive... I really wanted to like his ****** album but I couldn't.
Other than Sly fox which was dopeas****. he's honestly a shadow of his previous self.

before some idiot goes "blah blah blah opinion".

of course its my opinion. that why I AM posting it.
I mostly agree with this. Except you can't deny that those rappers you named are the best in mainstream right now and it'll be that way for a while. Oh and Sly fox is where I got my tag from, which I really want to drop because it comes off horribly.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I think Em needs to drop the Slim Shady gimmick. When he was hyping up Relapse, he was touting it as a return to form, like SS/MMLP. What we got was like a pale imitation of those albums. Very few songs on Relapse are sincere, and without gimmicks. It just felt like he was trying too hard to hold onto what he was 10 years ago, when really he doesn't need to. He has mad lyrical skill, to this day, it's just a shame that he's squandering it on albums full of songs like Fack and Crack a Bottle. He can do so much better it's embarassing. (Relapse was a LOT better than Encore but still, not the comeback I wished for :/)

but, you can't say he's totally fallen off when he's putting out tracks like My Darling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaCyEi_xMsE

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
I want Em to go back to his Infinite days. He was a lyrical genius without the crazy part. Being crazy just made him great :). Also, he needs to stop having Dr.Dre make so many beats for him. On Relapse, aside from beautiful(excluding bonus tracks), EVERY TRACK was produced by dre. Dre's a legend and all but he should try something new. He should do a track with DJ Premier. That'd be pretty dope. Helll, maybe even kanye would still be aight.

Top Bottom