• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North Worcester, MA, Brawl and Melee - 04/05/2009

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Train at 6pm from south station -> There at 7:30
Walk = 30 minutes or so
I could be to WPI Saturday night by 8.
I'm driving people back to norfolk earlier that night. I should be back by then, but if I'm not I'll let everyone else know and they'll let you in.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
okay so to make this completely legal with the school, we have to give the prizes out in the form of visa gift cards. I'll try to make it so they're ready for the tournament, but they only just changed their minds and said to do this so I might have to send them (either email or postal) the following day.

It's not a bad deal though since the venue is pretty **** nice and we got chairs for everyone. And venue is now completely free!

And I've never done draft crews before, so someone else is in charge of that if we get around to it.

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
okay so to make this completely legal with the school, we have to give the prizes out in the form of visa gift cards. I'll try to make it so they're ready for the tournament, but they only just changed their minds and said to do this so I might have to send them (either email or postal) the following day.

It's not a bad deal though since the venue is pretty **** nice and we got chairs for everyone. And venue is now completely free!

And I've never done draft crews before, so someone else is in charge of that if we get around to it.
If you need me to run somewhere and get it done for you I can do that. I have GPS and should have no problem getting the visa gift cards. Let me know what going on.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
If we do something like draft crews where everyone only wins a small amount of money does it still have to be visa cards?

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to talk with the school tomorrow. She said something about getting the cards the next business day, so I want to see what we can do about getting more immediate prizes. I wish she hadn't waited until just today to tell me this

So Fatal

Smash Master
I'm going to talk with the school tomorrow. She said something about getting the cards the next business day, so I want to see what we can do about getting more immediate prizes. I wish she hadn't waited until just today to tell me this
so were expecting about 30 people..

1st 175$
2- 100$
3-25$

just buy the cards before...

vigiliante

Smash Journeyman
so were expecting about 30 people..

1st 175$
2- 100$
3-25$

just buy the cards before...
no that would be bad he should go during the tourney when he finds out exactly how many people will be in each tourney. He shouldn't do that because I am pretty sure these things are not refundable. Worst case scenrio matt.zeb or somebody that knows how to run tourneys can take over while he is gone.

So Fatal

Smash Master
no that would be bad he should go during the tourney when he finds out exactly how many people will be in each tourney. He shouldn't do that because I am pretty sure these things are not refundable. Worst case scenrio matt.zeb or somebody that knows how to run tourneys can take over while he is gone.
great idea tom

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Good idea, and another reason we'll need things to run smoothly. As long as brawl singles starts by 6 I know a place where I can get the cards. Otherwise I'll have to look someplace up. And it's a good reason to give myself a bye first round

So Fatal

Smash Master
Good idea, and another reason we'll need things to run smoothly. As long as brawl singles starts by 6 I know a place where I can get the cards. Otherwise I'll have to look someplace up. And it's a good reason to give myself a bye first round
the one bad thing is everyone is going to have to register for everything at once or you will have to make several trips lol. Also, i'm down to help out etc..

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Yeah they do thats why if you read the page before this, the school agreed to collect the money and hand out visa giftcards(same as cash pretty much) for prizes.

Get *****
Once they (WPI) start seeing MMs, that won't work out too well.

But otherwise, statement withdrawn.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Once they (WPI) start seeing MMs, that won't work out too well.

But otherwise, statement withdrawn.
How do you distinguish an MM from a friendly match? As long as people aren't stupid about it and agree to exchange money outside of the venue nobody will know.

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Double Falcon teams match?

No knees/punches to the back.

Thanks man

I was thinking 55, 35, 15 for the split in each event

And there'll be lots of chairs, tables, and free space (think maybe 2x the size of Ace's), so if people bring setups there should be plenty of room for friendlies and MMs
55+35+15 = 105%

I assume the extra 5% will come from the national stimulus bill that was passed.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
How do you distinguish an MM from a friendly match? As long as people aren't stupid about it and agree to exchange money outside of the venue nobody will know.
Agreed, but people are (unfortunately) stupid.

Personally, I don't care. But this experience happened to me 2 years ago: go to tournament at college, half way through the tournament just stops due to college reps being lame.

Smasher32, consider yourself wrecked.
Money match? :D
5$ sounds good to me.
I'll be the guy holding the green controller.
I'll give you the honor of losing to my Kirby. :laugh:

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Alright. I'll be the one holding the controller you lose to.

Variola, want to see if we can get some Falcon Team MMs with people?

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
MattDotZeb and I will MM people.

The format will be: Best of 3 (or 5)? matches.
Team attack on.
Items off.
1st match is random neutral stage.
Losing team counterpicks stage.
Winning team chooses characters.
Losing team chooses characters.
The only character allowed is Captain Falcon.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
yeah, not gunna go, sorry guys.. could go, could win, but, alas, I'm starting a smash community in South NJ... plus I'm working, so i guess i cannot put my hidden skills to the test, plus like I said before, people need to redeem their images in mine eyes after the past few tournaments... they have been HUGE Disappointments, even tho I don't go by this name anymore... Not gunna say what my new name is btw.. Hmm, I do wish I could hang with u again KDJ, your the most respectable player I have ever met, and if more people acted as you do, I would go to more tournaments and offer my services, mutiple set ups, consoles, etc.

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
aww, a tourney so close to where I live (worcesterish area), too bad work called recently and gave me extra hours I'd love to go to this place and try my second tourney out, I did ok in the first one.. for a noob... lol... as for the guy above.. I don't know you very well (we met once) but I respect you, I have seen your posts before and you didn't deserve the crap you were given at the last tournament.. not at all, especially when you brought the setups and games and stuff, that was really cool. All u ppl who dnt seem to care about this guy, he is extremely good at smash, he taught me how to learn in a tourney, and if you let him just quit like this, he wont be able to teach anymore of us noobs how to play... he even bought me a soda.. ps im Mike from the last tournament you went to....

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Is anyone in western mass going to this?

EDIT: On the off chance someone is let me know. I'm too broke to enter stuff, but I'll totally go for friendlies and the people. <3 Smashers.

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
hey, Mike I remember you... Yeah I bought you that coke, no big deal you were the one person who was respectful to me and for that I give you credit... Wish the rest of smashboards who should know my name by now and respect me be as kind as you....maybe I'm being immature and holding a grudge... maybe I'm right for feeling this way, I dont even know anymore... I had a dream to be recognized and practiced as hard if not harder than most of the pros out there.. I brought TV's to tournaments, game systems, I helped people who had trouble running tournies (MassMadness hint hint)... I get sick of doing work and not feeling satisfied with what I get in return... I practically was the first to discover numerous things about the game (brawl) (ex. cpt. falcon's situational chain grab, falco's very common throw chaingrab to d-air combo, etc..) I got that game 4-5 weeks before the American version was released, and had it beaten in 1-3 days completely... People dont seem to realize what's in front of them sometimes... for all you new people out there, you better just be **** good at smash, otherwise your work may not pay off... I learned a hard lesson about dreams and life, and sorry smash community, but unlike you, my girlfriend returns the effort that I put into her.

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
Who exactly is it that you're mad at again? Cause you go to alot of trouble to complain about people/something without actually saying what it is. I find it kinda strange to be honest....

S.B.Soldier

Smash Journeyman
hmm, this is my last post for a long time.. better make it good...

ok... how many people eve know who I am? I am s.b.soldier, and extremely avid and active smasher in the MA community, who has poured his heart and soul into tournaments, smash brawl, melee etc.

Now why does eveyone seem to be confused as to why I am mad? For starters, I have NEVER ONCE received any credit for helping orgainze, set up (evey frickin tv), helping with, and the like (for tournaments)... Try setting up Mass Madness for 2 hours to not even be given on ounce of praise on any post on any result or any message... To have attitudes thrown at you from players who don't want to listen to the rules (the last 3 tournaments I went to).. people could at least pretend to be f-cking polite for christ sakes... You take me, an extremely hardworking college kid who lives on his own, with a girlfriend who lives 7 hr away due to a messy eviction, with a very demanding job, tons of bills, who still, for whatever miraculous reason can find time to invest in this community... and.. well you make me feel awful,, the people who give me attitudes when its my turn to play, the as$h0les playing friendlies who ignore the call for tournament standard rounds, then get in my face or are just plain rude when they are threatened disqualification... then there is the lack of any ounce of respect... Recognition is not hard to give to people who deserve it... Even PC Chris was rude to me, although I dont remember about what exactly that was my first impression of someone who I had nothing but respect for...

In life, people like me can only go unnoticed for so long... I won 19 gold medals in high school for track (never got even a cheer or a thank you or a high five) and even treat my gf like a f-cking queen and her parents hate me... i am getting respect NOWHERE and im sick of it so theres your explanation.. whats sad is that the one asking me what I'm talking about is the one I helped the most at Mass Madness...

this is it for me for a while so dont bother saying that i suck or that im an a-hole or whatever i dont need the stress.. bye

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
I didn't say anything rude to you. I know who you are dude, I've played you several times before. I asked what you were upset about. But, for the record, you should take into consideration how you treat others man.

1) I came to you for help in some things at the last Mass Madness. Consider that. I remember thanking you that day, and if I didn't put it in your shout outs in the reults thread or something my bad. I get wiped out tourneys, specially mass madness and super mass bros since I end up taking a heavy hand in those.

2) Treat people how you want to be treated. I remember you getting extremely angry when we played in Melee SMB2. Talking about how garbage the set was and stuff. I don't bother talking to people that get upset over matches because, well, they're upset. I find it tends to aggravate them.

3) And this is a big one for me. Treat the TO's well, please. You told my friend, that came to help me out and make sure things ran smoothly at the last SMB, that she wasn't calling matches loud enough and almost got you DQ'd. This was not true, the closest anyone came to getting DQ'd was when I told Roy to play his matches with JJ Wolf. And that was because she called it, I called it, and I could see him playing Friendlies when JJ came to me. And that was simply "ROY PLAY JJ IN THE NEXT TWO MINUTES OR YOU'RE DQ'd" and than he turned and saw me and went "My bad man." And that was it.

Relax. No one disrespects you, they might not give you credit for talent, but that's just a matter of placement. Very few people give me credit for skill that haven't seen me play really well because I don't tend to place. You need to relax, you have that look of taking everything too seriously at tourneys.

Don't pull a Dark.Pch(Dark if you read this you know I like you, but you do take some stuff too seriously at times), just relax and remember why you play the game. Because it's fun. Tourneys are about having fun. No amount of posting that complains about things makes it more fun. Just go play and enjoy yourself and stop stressing out about stuff bro.

Top Bottom