• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wingdashing (11 Videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rezen1337

Smash Cadet
This is in response to the fourth section, Troubleshooting.

Instead of changing my button setup, I did something completely different: I changed the way how I held the controller. The only thing I really did was move my index finger to the jump button, so that my thumb could easily access the B button and the C-stick. I've been conditioned to doing this for awhile, though, and it's not that hard to get used to it. If you apply the C-stick to many of your moves, this may also help you a lot more.

Xigbar

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble landing the wingdash tech. correctly... i keep getting that weird looking Bair animation...have any thoughts why?

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol, its easy. It is because you are doing a Bair. You need to move the joystick to the down position faster to do a Dair before the window to cancel the move goes away. Once you get this, try expanding the range of the wingdash by holding back/forward as long as you can before having to switch to the Dair.

Xigbar

Smash Cadet
Woohoo one simple post helped me out tons! Thanks Kupo! I can do it w/o any trouble now :D

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I finally got a really nice WingDash/WingShove on video. It'll be in my next video. And it's NOT against Samus! o_0

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
No problem, its because I care.... lol

Dangr: what does your level look like?
well...from looking at your stage, I did the same thing as the tier with the ice block on it, but without the supporting platforms below it. I keep repeating that level until I mess up, and It'll drop me to an easier floor of the moving platforms.(green) If I get far enough on those, it'll lead me back up to the main practice area. If I fall off those I'll get sent to the black conveyor belts to help with my spacing, which will be my problem.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Yeah WingDashing is typically a very bad thing against Samus. Like I said before, if Samus were just faster she'd counter Pit handily.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, after rereading this thread's OP...
I use the conveyor belt on my level to try and wingdash over them. Not to race a CPU. It helps in spacing and timing your wingdashes.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
How is Wingdashing useful against Samus? While Wingdashing is fast, a fast and smart Samus is always in position to throw out a Zair.

kown

Smash Lord
^ so pretty much if the samus is flawless than you can never do a wingdash. haha but i get what ur saying and yea it is pretty hard to get to a samus with wingdashing if he uses zair like pit uses arrows.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
wingdashing provides spacing applications. Also samus can only use zair while in the air. Wingdash cancels out weak missles and weak blasts.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Samus should always be Short Hopping though. And the fact that the Zair cancels on the ground means that if you space out of Samus' range with the WingDash there's no way to make up the distance even with an arrow before Samus is able to do anything she wants.

As Samus has very few multi-hit attacks it's probably best to dash in and PowerShield whatever she does, then quickly counter. Samus has the up-close spacing game pretty much sealed with that Zair.

Plus keep in mind that her Zair has a tipper and is more powerful at the ball. So when you're spacing against her, it's almost always go move in closer to the Zair then away. But doing that with the WingDash kills any chance of PowerShielding the Zair through reactionary means.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
who ever said anything about wingdashing out of zair range? I meant to constantly space yourself at that point where you're out of range for any smash out of shield or jab, but you can hit samus if she gets closer, or reach w/ the forward tilt. I have tournament matches vids coming up soon (unfortunately I never played rohins). It displays wingdashing well imo

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Well ok. I just can't imagine a Samus that understands Pit not being able to continually apply pressure if Pit decides to WingDash. I mean if I was playing as Samus it would be the one thing I'd be hoping for the Pit to do.

Corigames

Smash Hero
This further instigates my theory of run and shoot. If you stay out of range and shoot arrows, then you don't have to worry about that.

It's much easier and just as, if not more, effective.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I really wish I could play any Samus that is good to test this. Are you saying the Zair is unaffected by the wind push effect? I know that grapple is really long, I would just like to experiment. :( I agree with Sagemoon. If it doesn't work in close quarters, then just using it to space yourself outside of the range makes it effective.

Xigbar

Smash Cadet
I know a really good Samus that does Zair in a lot of his combos and i will be glad to check this out the next time i play him, then again i only see him at tournies :(

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Couple things about Samus' Zair.

Highest Priority of any Melee Attack in the Game.
It's extension is almost immediate.
It has a Tipper.
It cancels on the ground.
It can be ISJRed.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I don't main pit, I have him as a secondary, but I must say it's fun to pick up items with the wingdash.
especially against Diddy, I can wingdash grab his banana's and use them against him.

kupo15

Smash Hero
really? hmmm I never thought of that. That is an excellent idea. Thank you very much for sharing. It will be added asap ^__^

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
yeah you can wingdash right over his banana's and grab them =D works for just about every item ^^

I call it the Wing Grab :p

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
You can also do it to links bombs and any projectile.
i'll get a video up in a few.

I have a video uploaded but youtube is taking forever to process a 30 second video.
In this video I wing grab link's bombs.

cj.Shark

Smash Ace
yayy i learned this today! everyone was like OMG pit can wavedash! xDDDD i wanna play pit!
oh i found out that a good tactic for wingdashing is to run at your opponent who will then shield. and try to shieldgrab. simply wingdash backwards and punish when his grab comes out. also works the same way for spot dodgers. it completely fooled my wario friend who is always sidestep f-smashing..

kupo15

Smash Hero
hmm, I wasn't expecting that because that isn't a wingdash. That is just canceling your wings. I was expecting that Pit would be able to slide across the ground while grabbing a projectile. Since you are grabbing after the cancel, it appears that you cant catch it during slide or precancel.

But it does seem to be useful being that you can pick up items from the ground without sacrificing movement. So with this, you don't have to do a dash attack or slowdown to pick it up. I'll have to test this tomorrow.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
hmm, I wasn't expecting that because that isn't a wingdash. That is just canceling your wings. I was expecting that Pit would be able to slide across the ground while grabbing a projectile. Since you are grabbing after the cancel, it appears that you cant catch it during slide or precancel.

But it does seem to be useful being that you can pick up items from the ground without sacrificing movement. So with this, you don't have to do a dash attack or slowdown to pick it up. I'll have to test this tomorrow.
ah, not a wingdash? dang. oh well it's still cool looking XD

Though I used a wingdash to slide into diddy's banana's and i went into that.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how I can improve my wingdashing so that it is as quick and far in distance as a wavedash? I'm somehow having trouble getting the whole technique down while I am versing someone...

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I've pretty much got down doing this repeatedly, in different directions, etc.

To be perfectly honest, I can't really see this being useful on a regular basis :(

If Pit had better range on his smashes/tilts, I could see it being a huge help, but when I Wingdash backwards, I'm totally out of range to counter, unless I use an arrow. It just feels like most of the time a spot dodge would be just as efficient, unless I'm really missing it.

I do, however want to get the Angel Ring Slide/Tech down, since I could see that being useful against Snakes...

kown

Smash Lord
it is useful because it creates spaces.

Im trying to make my game ALL wingdashing. heh (criticize this if you will)

ionno if anyone here has seen me wingdash but i can do it pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom