• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wingdashing (11 Videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I wont bring up the "Please learn these AT's" thread because you obviously learned it. But I will refer you to a Pit ditto match between Skip and Me so you can see two Pits using this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_SjzY1LV-A (Look at the whole first minute)

If you chose not to use it, ok, its your loss. It really has great uses. ^_^

Corigames

Smash Hero
The very first one that you wingdashed, I would have shield grabbed. You would have actually DONE something >_>

Like I said, I think that the move isn't completely worthless, I just see better things than what it is being used for.

kupo15

Smash Hero
You the first one skip did against my running A? If you wanted to grab sure. But if you wanted to do a Fsmash, it wouldn't work because I would have been too close that I could have DIed out of the second hit. But its not only for dodging attacks but for general spacing applications. Learning Wingdashing improved my wavedashing use in melee like you wouldn't believe which means that this is very similar to wavedashing.

Are you saying that if this same situation occurred in melee, a wavedash wouldn't have been anymore effective over a grab? Im comparing the two because they are indeed very similar.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Your experiences with wingdashing improving your wavedashing only proves that you just didn't apply yourself to wavedashing before learning how to do some flashy trick in Brawl and reapplying it to Melee. That's what you are saying.

And no, what you did there wouldn't have been useful in melee. If you could wingdash fast enough to move back and then forward to punish someone, it would seem to be viable. However, I haven't seen anyone who claims they can do that, and I don't care to try myself. Even the .gif in your sig is crying for a spot dodge to F-smash instead of a wingdash to f-tilt.

All in my opinion.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I'm kind of on the same page as coreygames.

Yes, it opens up more options for you, but more isn't always better. As a spacing tool, sure. But in combat, it really seems like there's always something better you can do.

Aside from that, you two play great pits. I forget which of you it was, but coming from under the ledge, shooting an arrow straight up to give your self space to jump/fly up was great. I'd usually try to avoid doing that below the stage for fear of ending up dead.

kupo15

Smash Hero
You are correct in saying that I did not apply myself 100% to wavedashing in melee. I did use wavedashing a little but not as much as those who really understood it.

(Respectful debate)

So are you saying that half the times people use wavedashing for situation like that is pointless? And that a defensive option before a counter strike is the better such as shield grabbing?

With wavedashing and Wingdashing in situations like that, it is somewhat a defensive option but it is also offensive because you are spacing yourself correctly to do whatever you want.

There is a problem with spot dodging attacks in brawl and it is called powershielding. Spot dodges are slow and if I were to do that in my .gif, then my next move would have been powershielded. Yes I know that powershielding is easy in this game so you could powershield there attack and do whatever also, but once you get wingdashing down, it eliminates the "luck" so to speak of powershielding.

Corigames

Smash Hero
However, by saying that wingdashing provides that window, you could also argue that rolling can.

But it really doesn't matter to me, you can do whatever you like, especially if it makes you win. I would just appreciate it if we didn't become so focused on this and tried to find other things or improve other ATs.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol rolling and spot dodging are slow. By the time your ready to attack, the powershield is ready and your opening is gone. Wingdashing is a faster way to dodge which keeps the window there longer.

fantomkitsune: Didn't see your post while I was typing lol. Yes, wingdashing isn't the cure all answer to everything. But it has more uses than what coreygames or anyone else thinks IMO (no offense at all) I am still figuring out when it is better to wingdash and when it isn't.

Well, I think the reason ppl are focused on this is because there is a controversy whether or not this is effective and important. I think that there will always be two sides. I have seen it work wonders and I know its effective. I am not saying it because I discovered it. There will always be the ppl against it for whatever reason. So chose your side I guess. ^_^

I am sure that you will agree that at least being able to cancel projectiles while moving is good. And also that wingdashing a short hop aerial is also good. Why the latter is better is because if you tried to shield grab them, they would sail over your head but the wingdash pushes them out of range while having them fall in your lap to grab.

kupo15

Smash Hero
a perfect wing dash is went you are able to wingdash a use a Uair to cancel. as any here believe that wingdash can go further? I do
Yes, Im pretty sure you can cancel a perfect wingdash with any aerial. Also, I don't think Wingdashing can go any further than I can do it, and I go pretty far lol. How far do you think it can go?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Remember Kupo you said that you can glide along the ground as far as you want then hit up and do a dair to increase the distance farther to glide across the whole stage.

kupo15

Smash Hero
that is correct, but its is a wingland. While very similar to a wingdash, it is much easier and a little different.

I added a new section "wingdashing with items" and a vid also. Check it out!!

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Very nice I can't wait to use this. I should have some people staying over at my place tonight and 1 uses a diddy this should be fun.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
The Windpush makes it useful. The unpredicatability of having multiple options make it worthwhile.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Yea its pretty neat. It takes a little time to get the glide toss afterwards. But as long as you can space yourself, the picking up part isn't too hard. XD

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Its fine my 2nd is W.O.B so I've had practice glide tossing. I did it in a match against a CPU like 5 min ago its flows to natural you don't really need to learn anything new apart from the Wing Dashing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol, no glide tossing is easy, its just doing it after the wingdash that is tricky. here is the command input:

Jump>Up B>Back/forward>Dair>Shield>Forward>A>crush them

^_^

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks!

Hmm idk because it isn't a wingdash. It was just a wing cancel that evolved. what do you think? :confused:

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Thanks!

Hmm idk because it isn't a wingdash. It was just a wing cancel that evolved. what do you think? :confused:
Yeah, I added an annotation to the video explaining that.That's why I called it a Wing Grab :p

kupo15

Smash Hero
ok. Does anyone else notice my OP gets cutoff after the training stage? :\ there was about 6 vids of sage's matches for ref. :urg: I guess it isn't a big deal :(

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
thats weird, ive never heard of that happening and there are some long thread on SWF. Try shrinking the size of the pix's just alittle.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
O my God I know this isn't quite the right thread for this but I don't think we have 1 maybe (Kown's thread) any way. Iwas messing around with Wind push on the WoI in a few matches to day. I just fought a random CPU pit and he was useing Wind Push and WoI techs against me!

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I was using the wingdash earlier today against my friend, I noticed how it put's me on the other side of them like instantly. That's so **** fun XD.
they move into attack me, and I wing dash and I go right THROUGH them into a fsmash.
Also When gliding, you can glide into a grab, though most of you guys know this.
But I also like using wingdashing for grabbing too, pit is such a fun character.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I've been told that they made the AI different for brawl. Here is how it works I guess.

Melee: There was a point system for each charater if he hit an attack it would add a point to that attack the more points the attack has the more they use that attack.

Brawl: basiclly AI's learns from you what moves to use, by "watching" how you play.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I was using the wingdash earlier today against my friend, I noticed how it put's me on the other side of them like instantly. That's so **** fun XD.
they move into attack me, and I wing dash and I go right THROUGH them into a fsmash.
Also When gliding, you can glide into a grab, though most of you guys know this.
But I also like using wingdashing for grabbing too, pit is such a fun character.
Glide into a grab?

Do you mean glide -> glide attack -> grab?

Or have I overlooked something?

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Glide into a grab?

Do you mean glide -> glide attack -> grab?

Or have I overlooked something?
When you glide with pit, and do a dive when you come for a landing you can either slice them or land right into a grab.

Xigbar

Smash Cadet
Hey Kupo, could you make an instruction/step by step video on how to do the glide toss :) Would help me a lot! Please and thank you :p

kupo15

Smash Hero
I can but first let me see if I can explain it here, it will be faster. To do a glide toss, grab an item, and press A right after you begin your roll. The throw will cancel the roll. Play around with the timing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea, all characters can, some slide more than others. it depends on their roll speed. You can also glide toss while throwing it up. A little tricker.

Xigbar

Smash Cadet
oh so this is like snakes mortor slide right? instead of throwing an item he shoots a mortor

kupo15

Smash Hero
similar except snake gets the boost from his dash attack. so he has two slide things, with the Usmash and an item

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I cant even do that slide throw thing without the wingdash. This would help me against Diddy and Rob... Any advice on how to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom