• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wingdashing (11 Videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I find practicing Wingdash alot easier on the arrow loop training stage.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
then mine? how so? section one is a step by step method to teach you and its flat.
That's true, I love your stage also, I used it to practice alot it's a great stage! =)

It's just I dunno because i had the camera panned out really high, and there is a looooooong platform on it, I just tried to do it as many times as I could :p

istudying

Smash Lord
yo kupo ty for putting the vids i can do the wing dash a bit but i can glide can u put vid on how to do it , and what is easier with a gc wii or classic controller?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think I might have gotten this down, now. I do a short hop backwards, use my WoI and then tap down the C-stick. This looked so difficult for me. But, I'm going to try it out a bit more. I hope that if I have it down correctly, I'll be using it in my battles. :)

kupo15

Smash Hero
thats great to hear that you found this useful. You dont have to to a short hop just any untimed jump becauses the WoI cancels the jump animation. So the main part is starting the WoI as close to the ground as possible. Then the movement and Dair cancel (c stick is fine) Never tried it on gamecube but its easy on the nunchuck. Everything is right there

Prophesized

Smash Cadet
Kind of like when Fox jumps from the ledge and shines immediately, you can WoI as soon as you jump from the ledge and then cancel it with dair. It's a bit dangerous though cause you might not move enough horizontal distance before the WoI is canceled, but I find this slightly useful when they're expecting a drop and jump attack. Not sure how useful this would actually be though.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
"Finally, wingdashing prevents you from getting grabbed. I find this most helpful against long ranged grabs such as link, or ice climbers (they can combo you up to 70% with a grab you you gotta be cautious). Taking into consideration that you can do this move out of a shield, you can avoid being grabbed if you can predict it right (big if i know..). However there is also times when its obvious that your opponent wants to shield grab you, take that into considerations and you can do some pretty cool stuffs. If your opponent dodges, most the time you can get the down smash off as they come out of the dodge, if they don't dodge early enough, then you push them out of range with wing push."

Sagemoon says so :p

Yay 1,000th post!
Ha ha! With the power of wingdashing, the ultimate anti-grabbing advanced tech move, Pit will be the Kryptonite for the Ice Climbers and there grab happy antics! Woot! It's so cool to do! It's like Moonwalking with wings!

Still you should have been more creative with the name. It should be called
"Red Bull Wingdashing." XD

I've gotta say, this advanced tech. move that you discovered Kupo will make you legendary bromigo! Well...as far as Smash Wiki anyways. ^^ Nice find.

Corigames

Smash Hero
It would be, "their,"
"Ice Climbers and their grab happy antics!"

And no. I think Wingdashing would be fine for that, bu you should always keep yourself out of grab range in a positions where you could be grabbed with the IC's. It' never worth it with them.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ha ha! With the power of wingdashing, the ultimate anti-grabbing advanced tech move, Pit will be the Kryptonite for the Ice Climbers and there grab happy antics! Woot! It's so cool to do! It's like Moonwalking with wings!

Still you should have been more creative with the name. It should be called
"Red Bull Wingdashing." XD

I've gotta say, this advanced tech. move that you discovered Kupo will make you legendary bromigo! Well...as far as Smash Wiki anyways. ^^ Nice find.
Thanks! I wish everyone saw the good in this tech like you ^_^ but sadly, that isn't the case >_<

And be Red pit so you can call it Red Bull wing dashing lol

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Thanks alot for this thread. My biggest fear of maining Pit was that it'd be impossible to learn all of the AT's needed to play a good pit. But with this thread, I've learned to wingdash (at least in training mode... still need some work before I can use this in a match effectively) and now see maining Pit as a much more viable possibility. Thanks again.

Note: The clock analogy was especially helpful.

kupo15

Smash Hero
You are welcome. I am glad to see someone as willing as you. Yes it will take time, but you can do it! He is an awesome character to pick up. Glad the analogy worked! :)

Saki Zatoichi

Smash Ace
Hey kupo, since you're here and all. Quick question about Wingdashing. Why is it that when I dash towards my opponent and Wingdash, I stay in the same spot and just do more of a WOI-Cancel?I don't really move back. However, if I stop as I reach my opponent, then Wingdash, I'll move back.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Its because the WoI stops vertical motion and not horizontal. You are fighting the momentum of the run a little but you can still move back if by holding back a little more than you would a standing wingdash.

kupo15

Smash Hero
you get invincibility frames on the first like 3 frames of WoI on the ground. You are pushing ppl away while moving back yourself or forward

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Unfortunately, you might still get hit by something with multiple hitboxes, taking an example... Pit's N-air.

Pose

Smash Apprentice
Finally! I got it down, now to get it incorporated into my game.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, So in light of recent Threads and me deciding to get better at melee (confession but no worries), I have concerns about this tech and its name.

When I founded this tech in April I thought it was Brawls version of the wavedash. Why? Because this is what I thought wavedashing was: Moving backwards while facing forward and for faster dodging. I never knew that Wavedashing was much more than that until recently. And now that I see this, I feel as if ppl get the wrong impression because of the name and the description, and that I said its Pits "Wavedash" in my sig and I mentioned that its the closest thing to wavedashing in the AT guide by Jewdo and so on.

This probably lead to a number of ppl using it like wavedashing, which doesnt do any good for their game as well as making wingdashing look bad and its partly my fault.

So, I propose a new name for this because most of us know it is useful and we need a name to reflect the way you use it. This is what wingdashing does:

Wingdashing is one way to help with spacing with the ability to move back or forward (similar spacing to a wavedash) as well as providing a wind push effect for protection from an approaching foe or projectile. It is not limited to this because when used correctly, it can be used as mindgames and/or a surprising way of defense because of its unorthodox movement and instant startup. It can be used to interrupt their game when used at the right moments.

Im open for comments and suggestions. This can be a great opportunity to give wingdashing a second chance with a new name, reputation, and to be used the way its ment to be used

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Wingspacing and Windpushing are two obvious names that describe what they do. That's the best I can think of off the top of my head.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I do use it to either fake Winglunging (the Up-B from the ground to Fastfall F-air) or to mess with my opponent's mind. I have no names for it whatsoever.

kupo15

Smash Hero
atm JostleWings sounds pretty neat! Im looking for something completely different and unique. it doesnt have to include wings btw

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I think it's too late to change the name. It'll never stick. And why should we. It's just semantics anyway. Don't take this stuff too seriously, it's not a huge deal.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I understand where your coming from. Im not sure if I will change the name atm. But if ppl are "giving up" on wingdashing thinking its a wavedash, then a change of name will give it a fresh start to those who are just discovering it. Thats my thoughts. What are yours?

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think anybody who reads our threads and understands wavedashing thinks it is anything like wavedashing. I think people hear about it at a tournament and assume it's just like wavedashing. In fact, I've never seen a Pit player think it was wavedashing. I can't say I make big use of wingdashing, but I like the name. It describes it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom