• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wingdashing (11 Videos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
cool, on allisbrawl website? I did go and I think I glanced over at you playing a doubles match because you were the only other Pit player I saw. (I didn't know who was controlling Pit though) I wish I played better
-lost first match to a TL(not used to someone with a projectile game that competes with Pit)
-Won second set against a Marth/Fox
-Lost third set to a....Gannondorf! I thought I had that one I can't believe I lost to a Gannondorf. My very last stock I SD because I somehow lost track of my jumps before trying to glide to the other side and falling to my doom halfway under FD. That never happens.
But I would like to brawl with some of those guys, and would like to maybe play you.

How far did you go?
that was likely me, i was the blond kid wearing a red shirt.

i couldnt stay for singles, i had a phillies game to go to that night

ill bet the ganon was a tall fellow with dark hair and a goatee, if so, thats my roommate KNPmaster. he mained ganon in melee. very contrary to popular belief, ganon is no effing joke in brawl. hes very powerful and heavy, and doesnt have much post-move lag. not to mention he plays my Pit all the time, so sorry about that hehe.

that third jump glide is a son of a biatch :mad:

yeah i was teamed up with a Rob player who i never met before, havi or hobi, i think. we ALMOST took out Comp and Wes in teams, lost 2-1 in a very close set. also lost to DMbrandon and ether, DM ran the tournament.

i really wanted to play singles, i was feeling good. ive been in the scene long enough to know most everyone.

i played all link in melee, low tier, and never found much success. thats why i play high tier now, and i am convinced, by things such as glide canceling and ridiculously awesome recovery and quick moves, Pit is indeed high tier :chuckle:... somewhere in the mix with metaknight, dedede, snake, g&w, wolf?, diddy?, marth?, etc

not to mention im getting my wingdash game up. i just found ur video sunday. i like how it pushes people away and surprises them. though u gota be careful, its very punishable!!!

im a bit long winded, like the Bair hah, but yeah, id def like to play u sometime, PM me and we can set something up

kupo15

Smash Hero
I PMed you.
Also, if you do wing dashing right, then it should never be punishable. Maybe give me an example why it would be. Glad to hear its coming along. Maybe I'll give you some..you know..pointers from the big man! lol j/k

I'm pretty sure there was only one gannon there. Ask him if he played a pit where in the first game, he killed me with a volcano kick that I didn't think it would reach. Then 10 secs into the second stock, he pulled a gannon suicide. If it was him, then I played in at the TV next to the wall on the side where Melee was set up.
Also, ask him if he played a Pit where the final stock before I was eliminated on FD (my counter pick) I died becuase I glided under FD on my last jump.
If you answered yes to anyl of these, then I played him! :D
And yes, I have a very good memory.

I got pretty good with Link and I don't know why he was bottom tier.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Being bored, I added two sections to this thread, What is wingdashing and Troubleshooting. I will be posting a video within the next few days.
If there is anyone who has a special controller configuration, please post so I can put it up.
Also, if there are any troubleshooting questions I missed, please feel free to post them also.
Thanks!

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
i was wondering if you could show some application of wingdashing andalso a perfect one with no lag if you could.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Basically all of the videos have no lag and the videos provided by Sagemoon show application. Is there something you want that I'm missing?:confused:
The video I'm going to post when I get it one my cpu will show a perfect one in slow motion. I have been able to do this at normal speed but the timing is difficult. It is not required to perform it at this level of perfection, but it is a goal to strive for.
Think about it this way, the faster you start the Up b, the quicker you will move away from your opponent. It is similar to wavedash how you can either see the air dodge or not. Seeing the air dodge is not good and it has startup lag. This isn't too punishable with wingdashing but that fraction of a sec could mean the difference of getting hit or not.

My personal goals is to get to this level of perfection as well as be good at chaining wingdashes together without any walking movement in between wingdashes.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
aight i get it im going to my grand ma house this week end so im gonna bring my wii and play brawl wit my cousin but he sucks. he is gammer tho so i can teach we easily even tho he isnt used to mote chuck i have 3 days so by the third day im hoping he will be decent. i play with his mind lol wing dashing and such.
i really need to learn the thing undr was doing with the f smash in undrworld 4

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Instead of resurrecting the old debate thread, I'll say it here.

I admit Wingdashing has uses.

Good job on finding and applying the technique, and for creating an excellent explanation thread.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks, I don't think there is any other way to describe wingdashing so the only time I will add to the post count will be to answer questions or if I found a new application to it. I will be updating it by replacing the videos with better quality ones as well as adding new controller configs or troubleshooting questions.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
I just did the SICKEST ****in' thing ever with a wingdash. I was playing a Captain Falcon CPU at Skyworld. We were on the right side of the middle part, and I wingdashed to push him off the edge then I dsmashed and broke the stage so he had nothing to latch onto and his up b didn't save him haha.

Slickest kill ever. Then I proceeded to tech a knee at 200% off the ground, BEAST.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
tag so I can continually check this thread.

That training stage...has it been uploaded anywhere?

That'd be a HUGE help to me.

kupo15

Smash Hero
No, why, can you upload training stages? I just posted blueprints on it so you can make it yourself. I wouldnt mind uploading it though. :)

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
No, why, can you upload training stages? I just posted blueprints on it so you can make it yourself. I wouldnt mind uploading it though. :)
Yeah, you can upload stage files.

brawlstages.com is a great place to do it

Then you download the file and throw it on your SD card. That's how I got all the ones that I have so far. I just don't want to have to build it >_>

kupo15

Smash Hero
lazy >_> but sure I'll do it. I don't know how you people find these sites ^_^

Uploaded training stage. Check the OP. The title is "Wingdashing"

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
You're the best.

I'll definitely put that stage to good use.

I played Pit when we *ahem* 'got' the Japanese version before the US one came out...won a local tourny with him, but when the US version came out, I didn't come here too much...I had no idea there was so much fun stuff you can do with Pit that I'm kind of scrambling to learn it all.

I figured out looping arrows on my own, and I'm going to work on Wingdashing...is there anything else that's critical?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Well, Wingdashing might take some time depending how you are at picking up things. Im not sure what is next, maybe Winglanding? That seems to have some potential and it is yet to be developed. Yea, there has been a lot of Pit discoveries and nice tricks in the past month it is overwhelming lol.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I know there's a few more buttons to hit, but WDing wasn't an issue for me at all in Melee, so I don't think the Wingdashing will be too tough.

Like, what else is there to learn with him as far as techs go (aside from the obvious spacing, etc to learn)?

And let me know when/if you get to upload that stage...I have a couple friends who are interested, lol.

kupo15

Smash Hero
lol, the stage is already uploaded. the link is on the OP. the name of the training stage is "Wingdashing"
Trust me when I say that you are going to have trouble with wingdashing. I was good at WDing in melee also but Wingdashing is 10x harder. If you use GC (I don't) then you may have to adjust your configuration for the B button. That is addressed under Troubleshooting.
Let me know how your 'struggle' goes. I will be impressed if you can get it down as quickly as you did WDing. Consider it a challenge ;)

And if you somehow manage to get good at it quickly, try making a video of you chaining them together across FD as if it were a WD. Make sure each Wingdash is exactly perfect and as close to the ground as possible. This is a huge challenge but I need a better video than the one I have.

I can't think of anything else at the moment besides the arrow stuff. I'll let you know.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
i know it sucks i though it was avi when it woesnt i went on a mad rampage. looking for dam converts and didnt find one >=(

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
True, but if it was AVI each replay would take up a very large amount of memory. It takes up less then one block atm. THough I completely agree the 3 min limit is pointless.

Btw just did my first chain across FD, was near perfect and in the middle of the match! My friend was like 0_o

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Why they couldn't have made the replays bigger, I don't know. Currently, it's just a list of commands that were inputted during the game. Along with the initial random seed and character choices.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you mean like a how you would wavedash off the edge to grab it, no. I Dair wouldn't allow Pit to grab the edge. However, you can just ignore the Dair and use the wings to glide to the ledge.

fantomkitsune: I know what you should learn next. You should learn the Angel Ring Slide since it has been solved.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
lol, the stage is already uploaded. the link is on the OP. the name of the training stage is "Wingdashing"
Trust me when I say that you are going to have trouble with wingdashing. I was good at WDing in melee also but Wingdashing is 10x harder. If you use GC (I don't) then you may have to adjust your configuration for the B button. That is addressed under Troubleshooting.
Let me know how your 'struggle' goes. I will be impressed if you can get it down as quickly as you did WDing. Consider it a challenge ;)

And if you somehow manage to get good at it quickly, try making a video of you chaining them together across FD as if it were a WD. Make sure each Wingdash is exactly perfect and as close to the ground as possible. This is a huge challenge but I need a better video than the one I have.

I can't think of anything else at the moment besides the arrow stuff. I'll let you know.
I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, just thought I'd share this. If you put tap jump on you can do wingdashing w/ one less input (just tap up diagonal and hold it there when you press B). It makes it way easier to chain. My record is 37 perfect chained wingdashes with this config as opposed to 2 without it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
True, that would make it easier. I think most Pit players would opt not to because it messes with the Arrow techs. I'll put it in the OP.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I'm intent on not having tap jump on, so I think I'm going to have to rough it, lol. And I use the gamecube controller.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Jump Tap? I guess but I only used it for two moves. To do Link's hurricane spin out of shield, and to do Link's Uair and jump at the same time. I think most everyone hated it and it is even worse with Pit. I think Pit is made for that to be turned off. I use nunchuck btw so I don't have to change my config for this.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Ya, I know everyone hated it, but what I mean is that it didn't hinder you if you practiced enough. For me anyway, it takes less practice to not be bothered by jump tap then to learn wingdashing without it. That sentence was a bit confusing lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom