• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
The advertisements in the French market could be hugely sexed up. They could make some really, really dirty Nintendo commercials.

*Black screen*
Womans voice: Oooh, oui! Oui, Oui! (etc.)

maybe add some screams of pleasure and one last loud moan of "oui" before a picture of the Wii fades into the screen and a mans voice says, along with the word at the bottom, "Wii".

That could be funny.

ssjmarth

Smash Cadet
Nintendo got it all down packed. Don't worry about it. Once its released im sure errors will be found *360* but its all guessing.

That would be a funny Wii commercial.

SuperChencho

Smash Ace
If I remeber correctly, you can use your GameCube controllers on the Wii, right? I remeber reading an article on GI where you can use the Wiimote to play NES games. Of course, since you are supposed to be able to download SNES, Genesis, and Turbo-graphix games on it, too, then surely you need a controller with more than just two buttons.

~My two cents

BETA

Smash Ace
Man, why is Nintendo trying so hard on marketing? They always fail with marketing in the end, as hard as they try to appeal to a mass market, with their designs and names. Let me point something out:

People aren't buying PS2s, XBOXes, PSPs, or PCs because of the name. People aren't buying iPods because of the name. Heck, people aren't even buying Nintendo's own systems because of the name. They're buying them for the games, and that's it.

I say they should stop trying to appeal and put all of the effort they have into making the system good, not cool looking/sounding.

End rant. That's my opinion on the name.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
SuperChencho said:
If I remeber correctly, you can use your GameCube controllers on the Wii, right?
Only for playing Gamecube Games.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
The Great Marth said:
did the Big N ever release a system that had a huge portion of them broken? like the 360?
or the PS2 (a bunch of them had fawlty wiring)

No nintendo doesn't do that Nintendo = Quality. Nintendo doesn't lie to consumers.

silverdragon

Smash Apprentice
BETA said:
Man, why is Nintendo trying so hard on marketing? They always fail with marketing in the end, as hard as they try to appeal to a mass market, with their designs and names. Let me point something out:

People aren't buying PS2s, XBOXes, PSPs, or PCs because of the name. People aren't buying iPods because of the name. Heck, people aren't even buying Nintendo's own systems because of the name. They're buying them for the games, and that's it.

I say they should stop trying to appeal and put all of the effort they have into making the system good, not cool looking/sounding.

End rant. That's my opinion on the name.

So you would rather have Nintendo release their system without a name?

I don't get it.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
silverdragon said:

So you would rather have Nintendo release their system without a name?

I don't get it.
What are you talking about? Please learn to understand an argument before responding to one.

He's saying Nintendo is trying to go too far out by making this radical controller and giving their system an unorthodox name like "Wii" when, clearly, those things do not sell. What helps a console sell are the games released for it and the quality of the system itself, and Nintendo should focus more on that than trying to think so far "out of the box" with names.

Zink

Smash Champion
How do you know the Wii isn't going to sell, as a name? So it's unusual. We really don't need to go into a name arguement again. It's months till launch, and you already know how it will sell? Have you contacted Nintendo yet?
Now I feel like Mic.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Zink said:
How do you know the Wii isn't going to sell, as a name? So it's unusual. We really don't need to go into a name arguement again. It's months till launch, and you already know how it will sell? Have you contacted Nintendo yet?
Now I feel like Mic.
Common sense, Mr. Zink. Go out to your local mall and take a poll of anybody in a game store whether they like the name Wii and if they plan to buy one.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
GoldWiidow said:
What helps a console sell are the games released for it and the quality of the system itself, and Nintendo should focus more on that than trying to think so far "out of the box" with names.
And when you've mastered quality.....what then? Sit and twiddle your thumbs? Originality is something to be praised in gaming, because when it works, it's amazing (Spore, Katamari Damacy, WarioWare, ect) Sure, it can bomb sometimes, but when it works it creates a lasting effect. So grow up about the name, afterall, in your opinion it doesn't matter, so why do you care what they call it?

nin10do

Smash Journeyman
..."Wii"?

There's something about the name that appeals to me, but the whole "wee" thing bugs me. Next thing you know, kids will start holding their Wiimotes over their pants and giggle, "Look at my WiiWii!" Seriously.

I think someone should start a "List of Wii Puns" thread at the Forum Games section. LOL! "Wii" would sure appreciate it.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I hate every "Wii" joke ever. None of them are funny, please stop trying to make them (not directed to any one person).

I would like it so much more if it was pronounced "Why". It's just the pronunciation that I hate about it.

SuperChencho

Smash Ace
My wii cents

Mic_Wii said:
Only for playing Gamecube Games.

Then how in the world are you supposed to play Super NES games?

Also, somebody brought up a really good point. Back in the day, the N64 was nicknamed Project Reality, and the Gamecube was Project Dolphin (in fact, for a while the N64 was the Nintendo Ultra 64). I bet if you ask a non-gamer or a youngster, they won't know the original codenames for these machines.

Thus, the average person ain't going to know that the Wii was supposed to be called Revolution unless you tell him. I am paraphrasing somebody here, but I'm too lazy to look it up and give credit.

silverdragon

Smash Apprentice
GoldWiidow said:
What are you talking about? Please learn to understand an argument before responding to one.

He's saying Nintendo is trying to go too far out by making this radical controller and giving their system an unorthodox name like "Wii" when, clearly, those things do not sell. What helps a console sell are the games released for it and the quality of the system itself, and Nintendo should focus more on that than trying to think so far "out of the box" with names.

What does an unorthodox name have to do with game quality?

I don't get it.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
silverdragon said:

What does an unorthodox name have to do with game quality?

I don't get it.

it doesnt, but the name doesnt help things. ive went to gamestop a few times since the name came out and the workers there said they refuse to say 'wii' cause its rather embarrasing. i hope its something the public will get used to. i will called it revo as long as here the "wii jokes"........

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
The Great Marth said:
it doesnt, but the name doesnt help things. ive went to gamestop a few times since the name came out and the workers there said they refuse to say 'wii' cause its rather embarrasing. i hope its something the public will get used to. i will called it revo as long as here the "wii jokes"........
Tell them to suck it up. If everyone was like that, no one would get used to the Wii as a name. It's not that big of a deal.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
SuperChencho said:
Then how in the world are you supposed to play Super NES games?
Don't ask us. I'm pretty sure it was Satoru Iwata who said it.

He might have misspoken though.

Thus, the average person ain't going to know that the Wii was supposed to be called Revolution unless you tell him. I am paraphrasing somebody here, but I'm too lazy to look it up and give credit.
Me. :)

Wiitt said:
Check my sig.
That's the best sig ever.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
if you turn the wii remote sideways you will be able to play nes and snes games.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
Boy, I've really been out of it, I didn't even know they released the name. I apologize for spamming then, but where did they get that? And can I get my name changed to blakzwiip, or is it too late? (That's French by the way.)

Oh, btw, Wiitt, that really is the best sig ever.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm suprised they are using the b button for sword attacks. Still cool anyways.

The built in speaker is pretty hot.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ahahaha, it's two different discs. There's a version for wii and a version for gcn, and they're releasing on the same day.

Top Bottom