• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
ArWiin said:
Wow, the controller is official.

Also, it shows the sensor bar, which looks very thin and out of the way. The new changes on the design of everything is nice, too.
The Dpad and Control stick are switched. O.o How do we smash with that? >.<

germ

Smash Cadet
i think it would be very simple to use the wii controller to play smash. and if you dont prefer to use the wii controller you might be able to use the extra ports on the top for game cube controllers.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Actually, I think smash would work well if they did something such as Super Mario Galaxy. You could still use the analog stuck and buttons for a ton of functions, but then you could use the pointer for cool moves and warping and stuff.

Also, I'm working on updating the first post with all the recent information.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
germ said:
i think it would be very simple to use the wii controller to play smash. and if you dont prefer to use the wii controller you might be able to use the extra ports on the top for game cube controllers.
I mean that wierd OTHER Wii controller. The one that has no motion sensor and such.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
ChRed2AKrisp said:
hey Wiill, you're wrong. at least i thin so

from the nintendo of Japan site. That doesn't look like a shell though. maybe its used for the virtual console? or maybe the Wiimote slides in sideways.

source: The Wiire

and to anyone who hasn't seen the Red Stell E3 Trailer, you're missing out.
Wow... I really like that. It looks like an imrpoved GameCube controller: The biggest thing I never liked about the GC controller was the orientation of the A, B, X, and Y buttons - it always made pressing certain combinations (especially for fighting games) very difficult. This looks like a super-nintendo controller with a couple extra shoulder buttons and joysticks. Of course, we haven't seent he back of it yet, so I can't get a good idea as to whether or not it will be comfortable.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Is there a picture of the back of the controller? It looks really flat and hard to grasp. I'm still sad about them not re-using the GC style controller as a shell. That thing was the perfect controller in my opinion. The butons were exactly where they should be and everything.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
It looks just like a bigger SNES controller with two analog sticks. The SNES controller was really comfortable, in my opinion, except of course for its small size. This one should feel fine.

Zink

Smash Champion
OK, a really cool thing I guess nobody else noticed.
At one of the Excite Truck sequences of the Wii overall trailer... there was a bit with some middle age guys playing... AND ONE OF THEM WAS USING A WIRELESS STEERING WHEEL!
Another attachment?

Zink

Smash Champion
:(
Anyway, another thing. Remember when NOA Pete was discussing the 3D sound thing, and he said something like "... this is another of the secrets of the Wii controller". Does that not imply other goodies? Although the nunchuk additional sensor and the speaker are huge, does anyone want to bet on a mike in there?
Just how much technology can Nintendo cram into the little gadget? I mean, seriously, think about it. The remote aleady has the transmitter, the button wiring, the acceleronomer, the speaker, and the extension port hardware. The nunchuk is much smaller and has wiring and another sensor. And it's all still so light!

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
ZWiink said:
:(
Anyway, another thing. Remember when NOA Pete was discussing the 3D sound thing, and he said something like "... this is another of the secrets of the Wii controller". Does that not imply other goodies? Although the nunchuk additional sensor and the speaker are huge, does anyone want to bet on a mike in there?
Hokey Smokes! This cant be THE secret can it? Or is the fact that it never turns off the big secret? Aargh. There's too many. But which is the big secret that they announced a while ago after the controller was announced? Have they even told it yet?

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
commonyoshWii said:
Hokey Smokes! This cant be THE secret can it? Or is the fact that it never turns off the big secret? Aargh. There's too many. But which is the big secret that they announced a while ago after the controller was announced? Have they even told it yet?
I don't think there is a "big secret," I think it's multiple secrets. This would include the speaker, WiiConnect24, the accelometer in the nunchaku, etc. There could still be a final secret, though.
falWiiX said:
so did sony on there controller.
Bahahaha .

F8X

Smash Ace
List of games that are at E3, 27 playable games will be there more in video format so smash my still be there :)

* Disaster: Day of Crisis - Probably one of the nicest looking titles showed on Wii.
* Excite Truck - Think Excite Bike, only with trucks, better graphics, and a side-turned Wii remote.
* The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Will have two game versions; one for GC one for Wii. The Wii controls appeared to work well and drew a lot of excitement from the crowd.
* Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - Looked like a GameCube version of Metroid Prime, only with Wii remote functionality.
* Project H.A.M.M.E.R. - Run around with a guy and a huge hammer. Didn't look way deep, but fun a la Destroy All Monsters
* Super Mario Galaxy (temporary name) - Graphics looked very artistic and slick. Looks like Mario has some new moves too.
* WarioWare: Smooth Moves - Wario Ware + Wiimote. Looked quick and fun.
* Wii Sports - Features golf, baseball, and tennis games. The tennis game looked extremely easy to pick up and fun to play.

I did not see this posted so sorry if it already is

Man Can Only Hope McWii
Man Can only hope :urg:

Zink

Smash Champion
OK, first- Did you see the graphics on Disaster? Even if that was CG that was very amazing!
And now- My Bundle Wishlist
1 Wii
1 Nunchaku attachment
1 shell
2 Wiimotes
LoZ-TP
Excite Truck
Red Steel
Super Mario Galaxy
Possible price- $300- $350
To buy later-
Disaster
MP 3- Corruption
Possibly Wii sports
More controllers and attachments.

F8X

Smash Ace
I just wished it had HD capability, I spent money on a Samsung 32" and it won't.They should have had it since (in america) HD will become tha standard in 2007. But still this is a must for everybody to have. Nintendo did a great Job today insuring that they will be a power in this business for a long time to come. And Zink you forgot to buy Wario Ware ;p

cF=)

Smash Lord
Like McFox said, it's weird that a supposed launch title big as Smash Brothers wasn't projected in the E3 conference.
Even if I believe they'll still do the game because of some IGN news saying there was a bunch of guys working on it, I'm truly surprise by the fact they gave all the attention to sports games instead of our beloved title.

I hope NOA will soon release a video showing a bit how SSBWii works. Maybe they simply didn't wasted time in making a teaser or a non finished version of the game. Only time will answer...

PS : It sucks to post in a Wii thread without having a Wii changed name. I feel like a leftover :(

Zink

Smash Champion
I just wished it had HD capability, I spent money on a Samsung 32" and it won't.They should have had it since (in america) HD will become tha standard in 2007
That's crazyness, HD is still only used by like 7% of TV buyers. it's just too expensive.
And Zink you forgot to buy Wario Ware ;p
With all the other great titles? I want them ALL!

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Aye...I kind of feel what McFox said was true - if SSB was going to be shown, it would have been already shown at the conference. No reason they'd hold it back. However, that doesn't mean it won't be there, just that it's really unlikely. Why they'd do that, I don't know, and if that's the case, it means we won't get any video and only pictures in a few months. And since Zelda is coming out Q4 and at the same date as Wii's launch, we know Wii will launch Q4 (did they release the actual launch date? If so, I must have missed that).

Also, the one thing I'm curious about is the rumble feature in the Wiimote. Sony removed it from the PS3 controller because it interfered with the tilt sensor. Doesn't it seem likely that if the Wiimote is vibrating (gamer girls will be happy, chi ^_<), and only slight movement is needed, wouldn't it slightly mess up your aim? Then again, perhaps that's more realistic - after being shot, I'm sure your aim would be a bit off IRL.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
The wiimote does have rumble. Nintendo has updated their Wii site which confirms that.

Edit: It seems the Wii's launch color will be white as that's the only one I keep seeing.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
KoWiichi said:
Doesn't it seem likely that if the Wiimote is vibrating (gamer girls will be happy, chi ^_<).
>.> I doubt it's safety for those pourposes...

KoWiichi said:
and only slight movement is needed, wouldn't it slightly mess up your aim? Then again, perhaps that's more realistic - after being shot, I'm sure your aim would be a bit off IRL.
Well you could always turn the rumble off, I mean it possible that rumble can screw up your techs in smash.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
KoWiichi said:
Also, the one thing I'm curious about is the rumble feature in the Wiimote. Sony removed it from the PS3 controller because it interfered with the tilt sensor. Doesn't it seem likely that if the Wiimote is vibrating (gamer girls will be happy, chi ^_<), and only slight movement is needed, wouldn't it slightly mess up your aim? Then again, perhaps that's more realistic - after being shot, I'm sure your aim would be a bit off IRL.
Well, keep in mind that although they seem similar, the PS3 and Wiimote are hugely different technologies. The PS3 uses tilt built into the controller. Imagine Kirby Tilt n' Tumble or a similar game rumbling, it would throw off the tilt inside the controller.

However, the Wiimote uses the sensor bar near the TV to actually sense where the remote is in 3D space. Slight vibrations like a rumble shouldn't throw you off. Actually, the closer you are to the TV, the more it would affect you. The IGN guy playing Red Steel said that it actually handled better from further away, because closer it was too sensitive.

KoWiichi said:
(did they release the actual launch date? If so, I must have missed that).
No they didn't. Reggie said it was in their best interest to keep the exact launch date secret for a little longer, but he confirmed that it's definitely releasing Quarter 4 of this year.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
cF=) said:
PS : It sucks to post in a Wii thread without having a Wii changed name. I feel like a leftover :(
lol Yea, it does.

Maybe they didn;t show SSB cause they are saving it as a surprise?
I dunno, never really followed any other E3s before.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Non related but, I'd love to congrat the web designer for brand new E3 Smashboard tag ! Look awesome !

Again, I think Wii=) would be a cool name... hehe... *cries*

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
sorry everyone but i just noticed that cf and soniczero have the same post count.

To try to be on topic... How do you expect the Wii not to win the console wars, they have so much going for them.

Edit: They both also dont have Wii names!

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
With all of this talk of E3 and Wii, I'm suprised noone called it "Wii3" yet.

SonicZeroWii lol

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Wiicman said:
sorry everyone but i just noticed that cf and soniczero have the same post count.

To try to be on topic... How do you expect the Wii not to win the console wars, they have so much going for them.
Not to mention they are in the 600s.

It not like Wii is TOTALLY dominating. PS3 still has it's uber graphics, sounds, and fanbase.
I don't know anything about Xbox lol.

Edit: Gack, I double posted. Although I coulda sworn Wiicman posted after I did.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
SonicZeroX said:
lol Yea, it does.

Maybe they didn;t show SSB cause they are saving it as a surprise?
I dunno, never really followed any other E3s before.
They reveal all of their surprises at the pre-E3 show. It will not appear this week.

And I'm not doing any more Wii names. They'll be going away soon.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
i am wondering, if in like a tennis game, will just swinging the contorller suffice for a good shot, or will actual proper form and uniqueness to a stroke effect the in game ball as well as it might affect an actual ball?

i ask because i play tennis tournements and junk (to gague me i serve about 115 mph) and it never really occured to me, will the very minute aspects of movent in reality be just as influential in game? i guess i want to know if the extremely slight twist of the wrist at the last second of my stroke will have that effect of altering the amount of spin or direction on the ball in the game, like it would in real life.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Hitting it low will lob it, hitting it overhand will strike it normally. You can do backhand or forehand. Tilting your controller is supposed to tilt the raquet in-game.

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
this is a neat concept seeing as i also play in tennis tournaments and such. However, this game might just appeal to the casual gamer in which case a little flick of the wrist could make the subtle difference between a serve and a forehand.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
I'm sure it is tuned to be more casual for all kinds of users, but it would be really interesting if like for example, I use a open stance heavy topspin forehand in real tennis, so if that could be emulated just the same in the game, that would make me feel really pleased with the functionality and expression of the handle in game.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
SonicZeroX said:
Not to mention they are in the 600s.

It not like Wii is TOTALLY dominating. PS3 still has it's uber graphics, sounds, and fanbase.
I don't know anything about Xbox lol.

Edit: Gack, I double posted. Although I coulda sworn Wiicman posted after I did.
PS3 so far only has there fan base, XBox 360's graphics are on par/better then what sony showed and its already out. There are also more games I personally like for the 360.

If Wii had uber graphics, and costed around 350 with HD then all the others would get blown out. ( i don't really care or graphics or HD but...)

By the way was Rare a 2nd party dev for Nintendo b4 it went to Microsoft? or was it just 3rd party but created banjo and donkey kong.

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
ChumpMoney said:
I'm sure it is tuned to be more casual for all kinds of users, but it would be really interesting if like for example, I use a open stance heavy topspin forehand in real tennis, so if that could be emulated just the same in the game, that would make me feel really pleased with the functionality and expression of the handle in game.
well seeing as this is a frontier technology the motion receptors are probably not that fine tuned. What would be neat is if in a singles match you could run up and it could distinguish a volley between an approach shot and an overhead (and if so slice topspin and spin in general). It seems as though the buttons will come into play where the motion receptors lack.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
yeah, i guess for now if i want to do all that specific stuff i gotta get on the court and just play for real.

it would be awsome though if you could mimick your actual strokes perfectly in sync with the game. now that would be impressive, but i tihnk im asking for too much.

Top Bottom